Sign in to follow this  
scottsind

RB Wisdom

I have AB and Evans as keepers this year and will have the 2nd overall pick in a 12 team standard draft. Unless an idiot drops a big name RB, my options will come down to McKinnon and Mixon.

Who would you pick? I would really like to pick a RB with the better potential for keeper status next year.

My opinions:

McKinnon - they paid the man but it seems like they can get out after a year. A lot of hype on this guy becoming the next Devonta Freeman, and if that is true then he is worth the pick. San Frans offense should be better than the Bengals. Is he really going to be a goal line back? Can he handle the kind of workload that supposedly Shanahan is going to give to him? I have my doubt based on his inability to succeed in Minnesota when given the chance, but this is a totally different offense.

Mixon - I have had a feeling that Mixon is going to blow up this year. Since I am in a standard league it seems like Mixon is much more valuable of an asset than in other formats. Upgraded offensive line / no Jeremy Hill / and he was pretty successful the last 5 or so games of the season last year when they switched the OC. It also seems like no one likes the way The HC runs that team offensively.

I have been leaning Mixon since I started thinking of this decision months ago, but am swaying more towards a coin flip now.

Thanks in advance.

I know that the 49ers obviously like him and view him as a feature back but I have a hard time seeing McKinnon as "the guy". He just seems to be better suited as a complimentary back. McKinnon had his opportunities in Minnesota in more than one season when he was thrust into an unexpectedly prominent role due to circumstances. He could not even keep a plodder like Asiata off of the field.

The Vikings had McKinnon in their building for more than long enough to determine exactly what they had in him. And they decided to trade up for Dalvin Cook and then let McKinnon walk. The opportunity is there for him in SF but I have seen the opportunity there for him before and he did not capitalize.

Also, McKinnon's potential value takes a huge hit in a non PPR scoring format. Between the two, I think that Mixon is the pick to make.

• Like 1

I have a hard time seeing McKinnon as "the guy". He just seems to be better suited as a complimentary back. McKinnon had his opportunities in Minnesota in more than one season when he was thrust into an unexpectedly prominent role due to circumstances. He could not even keep a plodder like Asiata off of the field.

I hear this over and over about McKinnon. It never seemed as though he lost the job to Asiata, rather the Vikings deciding he couldn't handle the full load. I'll bet on a superior athlete and Kyle Shanahan's eye for RB talent over the whims of Norv Turner and Pat Shurmur.

With that said, Mixon is the better keeper candidate IMO, so I agree with you there.

• Like 2

I hear this over and over about McKinnon. It never seemed as though he lost the job to Asiata, rather the Vikings deciding he couldn't handle the full load. I'll bet on a superior athlete and Kyle Shanahan's eye for RB talent over the whims of Norv Turner and Pat Shurmur.

With that said, Mixon is the better keeper candidate IMO, so I agree with you there.

Correct. He did not "lose" the job to Asiata. But the Vikings had plenty of time and opportunity to evaluate McKinnon and they deduced that he was not a true feature back. They decided that they were better off with him splitting the job with Asiata who was never exactly impressive and has not been wanted by anyone since leaving Minn. And then he split the job with Murray after that.

Now the 49ers are bringing him in and expecting him to be a feature back when he has had the opportunity to prove that he is one in multiple seasons and came up short. I am skeptical.

I have AB and Evans as keepers this year and will have the 2nd overall pick in a 12 team standard draft. Unless an idiot drops a big name RB, my options will come down to McKinnon and Mixon.

Who would you pick? I would really like to pick a RB with the better potential for keeper status next year.

My opinions:

McKinnon - they paid the man but it seems like they can get out after a year. A lot of hype on this guy becoming the next Devonta Freeman, and if that is true then he is worth the pick. San Frans offense should be better than the Bengals. Is he really going to be a goal line back? Can he handle the kind of workload that supposedly Shanahan is going to give to him? I have my doubt based on his inability to succeed in Minnesota when given the chance, but this is a totally different offense.

Mixon - I have had a feeling that Mixon is going to blow up this year. Since I am in a standard league it seems like Mixon is much more valuable of an asset than in other formats. Upgraded offensive line / no Jeremy Hill / and he was pretty successful the last 5 or so games of the season last year when they switched the OC. It also seems like no one likes the way The HC runs that team offensively.

I have been leaning Mixon since I started thinking of this decision months ago, but am swaying more towards a coin flip now.

Thanks in advance.

any thought to Barkley?

any thought to Barkley?

The way my league works is there is a losers bracket and we play for our draft picks next year. I lost the losers bracket championship round; thus, losing out on Barkley and picking 2nd instead of 1st. My friend already said he is taking him, and rightfully so.

There are always the slew of Rookie RBs to pick from after Barkley like: Guice, Jones, Freeman, Penny, or Michel, but I dont think they have the upside of Mixon or McKinnon.

Good thought!

The way my league works is there is a losers bracket and we play for our draft picks next year. I lost the losers bracket championship round; thus, losing out on Barkley and picking 2nd instead of 1st. My friend already said he is taking him, and rightfully so.

There are always the slew of Rookie RBs to pick from after Barkley like: Guice, Jones, Freeman, Penny, or Michel, but I dont think they have the upside of Mixon or McKinnon.

Good thought!

some of the other rookies may be worth looking at as well. for that I'd wait to see how camp goes.... but I'd at least watch the training camp reports.

• Like 1

I'm not sold on McKinnon at all. I drafted him years ago in a rookie draft and held him on my practice squad for a couple years. I believe his issue is vision. His YPC average is sickeningly low. Don't forget the 49'ers also have Breida. McKinnon may be a top notch Sparq athlete, but is he a football player? I'm not sure.

Wait to make your decision as long as you can and see who gets injured in the preseason. Mckinnon never seemed to like getting hit and I have doubts that he can hold up against Suh & Donald, or their Division in general. He's being so overhyped currently that you would think he's done something in his NFL career to warrant it.

• Like 2

If those are your 2 choices then I take Mixon, ...but I think several of those rookies have every bit the upside of those 2 guys in a keeper league. I like Guice. Can you trade down? I would happily take extra picks or a keeper to move down and still get one of those rookies.

• Like 2

If those are your 2 choices then I take Mixon, ...but I think several of those rookies have every bit the upside of those 2 guys in a keeper league. I like Guice. Can you trade down? I would happily take extra picks or a keeper to move down and still get one of those rookies.

Thank you for the replies fellas. I will definitely be paying attention to the rookie reports. Unless they drop a rb there are 4 potential backs to carry the rock in Washington. I understand that fat rob and Perine havent shown well, but they could still be considered goal line backs. I have a little under a month to figure out the pecking order in Washington, Denver, Seattle, Patriots (yea right), and Tampa Bay.

I'm not sold on McKinnon at all. I drafted him years ago in a rookie draft and held him on my practice squad for a couple years. I believe his issue is vision. His YPC average is sickeningly low. Don't forget the 49'ers also have Breida. McKinnon may be a top notch Sparq athlete, but is he a football player? I'm not sure.

Wait to make your decision as long as you can and see who gets injured in the preseason. Mckinnon never seemed to like getting hit and I have doubts that he can hold up against Suh & Donald, or their Division in general. He's being so overhyped currently that you would think he's done something in his NFL career to warrant it.

No doubt. Hes broken outside for a couple TDs that I have seen, but hes never been touted as a consistent RB, or even a starter. No way they run him in the middle with those monsters on the inside! Good insight.

I would definitely go Mixon in your situation.

I believe he has RB1 potential and I don't think McKinnon does.

Even if MCKinnon has a better season I don't think it will be monumental and he probably won't be a keeper. He's had his shot over the past couple of seasons and hasn't panned out too much.

Not to say he won't be good in SF but I just don't see the same kind of upside as with Mixon.

If Mixon blows up you will regret if years to come.

• Like 1

I would definitely go Mixon in your situation.

I believe he has RB1 potential and I don't think McKinnon does.

Even if MCKinnon has a better season I don't think it will be monumental and he probably won't be a keeper. He's had his shot over the past couple of seasons and hasn't panned out too much.

Not to say he won't be good in SF but I just don't see the same kind of upside as with Mixon.

If Mixon blows up you will regret if years to come.

Solid reply. I am happy to hear that my initial thoughts were in the right direction. I have had way too long to overthink this conundrum. Appreciate it.

• Like 1

Mixon is the easy pick.

Thanks.

Nixon but watch if Gio still gets 3rd down play as the passing back

I think Gio will get work in the passing game.

I like Mixon more on a non ppr league.