Sign in to follow this  
montana

Zero QB Strategy

I'm not willing to spend the price to land the ARod,Brees,Luck,etc.. as my QB.

I've been messing around and taking QBs pretty late & I'm seriously considering this on a league or 2.

Romo has the easiest schedule for the year, & the 2nd easiest over wks 14-16 (@NYG/TB/DET). Bye 7

Winston has the 10th easiest schedule, & the easiest schedule over wks 14-16 (NO/@Dal/@NO). Bye 6

Stafford has the 2nd easiest schedule, & the 6th easiest over wks 14-16 (CHI/@NYG/@DAL). Bye 9

Flacco has the 4th easiest schedule, & the 10th easiest wks. 14-16 (@NE/PHL/@PITT). Bye 8

I'm a bargain bin shopper every year at QB except last year when I decided I would go safe and take Luck.....I'll be going back to the bargain bin this year.

• Like 1

I got Rivers in Round 10 and Winston in like Round 17 or something. I am pretty damn happy about both.

I'm a fan of Rivers and Stafford this year. They just throw the ball so much that the potential is there.

You could easily entirely forgo drafting a qb at all and be fine.

I did that last year and made it to 3rd place in a highly competitive keeper league. I streamed them and ended up with Fitzpatrick for last third of year

I agree I like Stafford and Rivers both going into this season.

I agree I like Stafford and Rivers both going into this season.

Rivers is usually taken within the top 10 QBs drafted. He's disqualified.

Rivers is usually taken within the top 10 QBs drafted. He's disqualified.

Maybe we need to know the requirements then. I think any QB taken round 10 or later counts.

Last four seasons , Staffords Qb ranking was higher than Rivers.

Last four seasons , Staffords Qb ranking was higher than Rivers.

And yet Rivers is in the top 12 this year and Stafford isn't getting drafted. It's the perfect example for not taking a QB early.

I did that last year and made it to 3rd place in a highly competitive keeper league. I streamed them and ended up with Fitzpatrick for last third of year

I won a super flex league streaming Alex Smith, Fitzy, and Winston

• Like 1

Thought I was smart when Matt Ryan fell to me last year.

I remember selecting that Eagles QB in the 8th round about 3-4 years ago.

I had Brees two years ago and he cost me a championship. Cam Newton 3 years ago.

There's no strategy for me apparently because no matter what I do it ends up terrible.

But I am drafting Rodgers if he falls anywhere in the 3rd and will highly think about picking up Luck if I'm at like 3.10.

But I am drafting Rodgers if he falls anywhere in the 3rd and will highly think about picking up Luck if I'm at like 3.10.

Enjoy

Enjoy

I will. I should say I won last year despite Matt Ryan. Got lucky and picked up Fitzpatrick. But when you compare Rodgers to some of the other 3rd round talent, Rodgers is a good bet. The only others I could see drafting ahead of Rodgers would be Jeffery, D. Thomas, Allen, and Ingram/Martin?

Other than that I see the likes of Langford, Hyde, L. Murray, Benjamin, and Watkins. I also see Reed and CJ Anderson.

If I'm all about value and BPA, I draft Rodgers over most of them. First three picks could look like:

Rd. 1 Peterson or Green

Rd. 2 Robinson or Marshall or Charles

Rd. 3 Rodgers

You potentially have the leading scorer for the QB, RB, and WR position.

I would love to throw out a Rodgers/Peterson/Hill/Robinson/Decker/Fitzgerald team.

I will. I should say I won last year despite Matt Ryan. Got lucky and picked up Fitzpatrick. But when you compare Rodgers to some of the other 3rd round talent, Rodgers is a good bet. The only others I could see drafting ahead of Rodgers would be Jeffery, D. Thomas, Allen, and Ingram/Martin?

Other than that I see the likes of Langford, Hyde, L. Murray, Benjamin, and Watkins. I also see Reed and CJ Anderson.

If I'm all about value and BPA, I draft Rodgers over most of them. First three picks could look like:

Rd. 1 Peterson or Green

Rd. 2 Robinson or Marshall or Charles

Rd. 3 Rodgers

You potentially have the leading scorer for the QB, RB, and WR position.

I would love to throw out a Rodgers/Peterson/Hill/Robinson/Decker/Fitzgerald team.

That's the key. As long as you feel you are getting more value with that pick from Rodgers than you are from anyone else available then do it. I myself prefer to grab more depth at RB and WR since those positions are more volatile. I'd love Rodgers in fantasy but I'm not taking him until after the 4th. I'd rather have my starting RBs and WRs before QB.

But you and the OP are definitely on to something. I'm staying away from Cam, Wilson, Ben, Bortles and am only looking at Rodgers/Luck and the likes of Rivers and other QB's that will fall like you've stated.

Last year I played 3 $$$ leagues and won all 3. I had gone 0/3 for the passed 3 years before that. Normally I see teams that win it all with a QB like Brees, Brady, Rodgers, or Luck.

Last year I won with Matt Ryan, Matt Ryan, and Peyton Manning. Had to get Fitzpatrick for two leagues, and play russian roulette with the other. But it still means you don't need a top QB to win it.

It's just hard because I've been burned badly by waiting on QBs and drafting one early. So I think it's good to target a sure bet in Rodgers and the risk/reward with Luck is probably not worth it, but tempting.

But you and the OP are definitely on to something. I'm staying away from Cam, Wilson, Ben, Bortles and am only looking at Rodgers/Luck and the likes of Rivers and other QB's that will fall like you've stated.

Last year I played 3 $$$ leagues and won all 3. I had gone 0/3 for the passed 3 years before that. Normally I see teams that win it all with a QB like Brees, Brady, Rodgers, or Luck.

Last year I won with Matt Ryan, Matt Ryan, and Peyton Manning. Had to get Fitzpatrick for two leagues, and play russian roulette with the other. But it still means you don't need a top QB to win it.

It's just hard because I've been burned badly by waiting on QBs and drafting one early. So I think it's good to target a sure bet in Rodgers and the risk/reward with Luck is probably not worth it, but tempting.

In one money league where QB scoring is pretty high I took Luck in the first round. I thought I was pretty smart too. It ended up killing me as the rest of my team was weak and Luck ended up missing a lot of games. I barely made the playoffs and got killed in the first round.

In my other money league I waited very late and took Bridgewater and Tannehill. They both were not good enough and I ended up streaming most of the year. This actually worked out alright and right before the playoffs I managed to get Russel off of waivers just before he got hot. I managed to win enough in the playoffs to win some money back which made me happy.

• Like 1

If you pick a QB early and you're right, then you'll be fine. If you pick one early and you're wrong... there's virtually no rebounding because you're always a round behind everyone else at the RB/WR positions. In my 4 leagues last year, won 2, lost in the championship in the other and finished 8th out of 10 in the last. In the two I won, I had Carson Palmer - whom I drafted in the 14th round, and Winston whom I drafted in the last round. Those were my only 2 QB's all year (aside from the the bye weeks). The one I lost in the championship, I drafted Matt Stafford in the 12th round and Bortles in the 16th. In the one where I finished 8th of 10, I drafted Andrew Luck in the 2nd (forced to by my partner in that league).

I will never take a QB before the 12th round... ever.

If you pick a QB early and you're right, then you'll be fine. If you pick one early and you're wrong... there's virtually no rebounding because you're always a round behind everyone else at the RB/WR positions. In my 4 leagues last year, won 2, lost in the championship in the other and finished 8th out of 10 in the last. In the two I won, I had Carson Palmer - whom I drafted in the 14th round, and Winston whom I drafted in the last round. Those were my only 2 QB's all year (aside from the the bye weeks). The one I lost in the championship, I drafted Matt Stafford in the 12th round and Bortles in the 16th. In the one where I finished 8th of 10, I drafted Andrew Luck in the 2nd (forced to by my partner in that league).

I will never take a QB before the 12th round... ever.

Plus you even stole Luck last year. He was a 1st rounder in alot of leagues.

Did this thread emerge from a wormhole created in 2002?

(Bit late to realize this is a strategy.)

Zero RB also became a thing in fantasy circles around the time of Herman Moore / Carl Pickens at the end of Round 1 when EVERYONE went RB/RB.

It makes me sad that FFToday is so far behind. (and seemingly getting more left in the dust each year)

Did this thread emerge from a wormhole created in 2002?

(Bit late to realize this is a strategy.)

Zero RB became a thing in fantasy circles around the time of Herman Moore / Carl Pickens at the end of Round 1 when EVERYONE went RB/RB.

It makes me sad that FFToday is so far behind. (and seemingly getting more left in the dust each year)

This is a zero qb thread. You are the one in a wormhole. Also FF did not get popular til late 90s (widespread internet access) and Rb/RB was the dominant strat for years and years, from Faulk all the way through LTs dominant years, so save that nonsense.

This is a zero qb thread. You are the one in a wormhole. Also FF did not get popular til late 90s (widespread internet access) and Rb/RB was the dominant strat for years and years, from Faulk all the way through LTs dominant years, so save that nonsense.

FF was internet popular in the mid-90's with Barry Sanders, Terrell Davis, etc. before Faulk/LT.

What I said is not non-sense... zero QB theory is many many years old.

ALSO (there were 2 separate paragraphs) Zero RB theory did not start a year or two ago like people here seem to think.

FF was internet popular in the mid-90's with Barry Sanders, Terrell Davis, etc. before Faulk/LT.

Were you born yet?

What I said is not non-sense... zero QB theory is many many years old.

ALSO (there were 2 separate paragraphs) Zero RB theory did not start a year or two ago like people here seem to think.

Yes, waiting on a qb is an old strategy, thats not my point. My point was you came in here talking about zero RB when this thread is not about zero rb. My first year playing in 99 I took Moss/Freeman so i know wr/wr is thing. It was just never as recognized as it has been the last 5 ish years.

I'll try to be more additive to this thread then. I'd do the same (as QB) with TE assuming it's not a TE-favored (1.5 PPR) league and you can afford to use a backup roster spot.

I like the combo of Ben Watson & Martellus Bennett a lot. Watson to start (Kubiak, inj WRs may take a few games to acclimate, then Watson may fade due to age or just WRs getting healthier) and Bennett later (Brady returns, Gronk typically gets banged up and doesn't play all 16).

If Gronk were to miss time, Black Unicorn stock skyrockets, possibly to #1.

I'm a fan of Rivers and Stafford this year. They just throw the ball so much that the potential is there.

in one of my drafts, both of those guys were on the waiver wire at one point last season. I could hardly believe it myself. If thats not evidence that you can wait on a QB, I dont know what is.

in one of my drafts, both of those guys were on the waiver wire at one point last season. I could hardly believe it myself. If thats not evidence that you can wait on a QB, I dont know what is.

Oh I know. I got Russell Wilson off of waivers in a 12 team league last year. You can stream QBs and end up with the same amount of points as a top 8 QB if you play the match ups right.

Oh I know. I got Russell Wilson off of waivers in a 12 team league last year. You can stream QBs and end up with the same amount of points as a top 8 QB if you play the match ups right.

you can. 12 teamers are a little harder to stream.

10 teamers you can easily do.

14 teamers you are taking your chances with this strategy.