Sign in to follow this  
seafoam1

Carlos Hyde to Cleveland

Reported 3 years for $15 million.

This is a great signing especially for that money. Now they can trade pick 4 if they want to acquire more picks and still get their favorite QB.

Wow. Cleveland is absolutely tearing it up this off season. As long as they don't blow the draft, we definitely got something to see here.

Agree. The Browns have made the kind of bold moves a team needs to in order to turn things around.

So, assuming Cleveland takes a QB at 1, the early draft will hinge on what the Giants do. If they take a QB as well, picks 3 and 4 will be less valuable, but if they don't, Indi will get a haul for pick 3. There can't be any doubt that Indi trades down is there? Jets and Bills need to be up there, especially Bills.

Agree. The Browns have made the kind of bold moves a team needs to in order to turn things around.

I think they have done enough to get better, for sure. I think the Bears are the big winners though :D

The more time that passes, the more I'm less impressed with the Browns. Oh, they will be better this coming season, no doubt. They may even win 10 games! But in 2019, I'm thinking they'll be picking in the top 3 again. Both Taylor and Landry will be playing on 1-year deals, and I believe Gordon is on the last year of his contract. Corey Coleman looked like a bust last year. The signing of Hyde leads me to believe they're not going to draft Barkley. Hyde is a "nice" RB, but he's nothing special. So, 2019 looks like they'll have a first year starting QB, a mediocre RB, and no WR's. To me, that's not just an arrow pointing down, that's no arrow at all.

Simply, I'm very skeptical of their future prospects.

The more time that passes, the more I'm less impressed with the Browns. Oh, they will be better this coming season, no doubt. They may even win 10 games! But in 2019, I'm thinking they'll be picking in the top 3 again. Both Taylor and Landry will be playing on 1-year deals, and I believe Gordon is on the last year of his contract. Corey Coleman looked like a bust last year. The signing of Hyde leads me to believe they're not going to draft Barkley. Hyde is a "nice" RB, but he's nothing special. So, 2019 looks like they'll have a first year starting QB, a mediocre RB, and no WR's. To me, that's not just an arrow pointing down, that's no arrow at all.

I disagree.I don't think Hyde is mediocre at all. Plus, they are not looking at next year for the superbowl and they have good picks beyond pick #1 QB for this year. We will see.

Wow this is a great post, and I agree.

It's going to be interesting to see how much work Hyde actually will be getting.

I think his value in ppr might get to high.

People might forget about D Johnson and how much usages he gains in the passing game.

I think as a pure rb Hyde is a litte over rated, but add in his passing rec skills he's a good ppr back, but not with the Browns.

I think it's easy to say the Browns will double up on there win total from last season.

They blew it with Hyde. Should have taken Barkley #1 and QB #4.

Why take a QB at 4? That's basically saying they don't really believe in any QB and are just rolling dice at the #4 pick to get whoever is there. That is not how scouting programs work. Plus Barkley has done nothing in the NFL. How many top draft picks have failed miserably? Hyde has proven himself on a terrible SF team.

They blew it with Hyde. Should have taken Barkley #1 and QB #4.

Once again I agree.

I think they signed another Crowell,,when they could have drafted a better upside in Barkley.

Why take a QB at 4? That's basically saying they don't really believe in any QB and are just rolling dice at the #4 pick to get whoever is there. That is not how scouting programs work. Plus Barkley has done nothing in the NFL. How many top draft picks have failed miserably? Hyde has proven himself on a terrible SF team.

I agree with your QB stance, but not the RB as top pick QB's have busted in the past as well, so this bust thing is not restricted to RB's. That said, if there's a QB you like and you think he's a franchise QB, you take him immediately without hesitation. Never give another team a chance to take your guy. That said, I still think the best course of action was to give Taylor a long term deal - 5 years perhaps - and use their first 2 picks to significantly upgrade their team.

Hyde has proven himself to be injury prone in San Fran as well. Last year was the first time in 4 years he played all 16 games. Plus, Barkley is a more talented player than Hyde.

As Weepaws said, Hyde is basically another Crowell. That's standing pat. Yes, they have other picks they can use, but they're starting to throw them away. Think of it this way... they just used the #1 and #63 pick now to draft their future QB. They just traded away 2 picks for Landry that they'll never get value from. So they just used 4 picks and will have 1 player gained from it. This is the same Browns!

I agree with your QB stance, but not the RB as top pick QB's have busted in the past as well,

True, but QBs are way more valuable to a team than RBs. So the Browns need to take a chance this year.

This might be music to the Giants' ears.

Prior to the Hyde signing, I thought that Barkley was going to be the clear-cut overall #1 pick for the Browns. Even with a sub-standard offensive line, Barkley would be an impact player for Big Blue.

This might be music to the Giants' ears.

Prior to the Hyde signing, I thought that Barkley was going to be the clear-cut overall #1 pick for the Browns. Even with a sub-standard offensive line, Barkley would be an impact player for Big Blue.

Agreed

So, assuming Cleveland takes a QB at 1, the early draft will hinge on what the Giants do. If they take a QB as well, picks 3 and 4 will be less valuable, but if they don't, Indi will get a haul for pick 3. There can't be any doubt that Indi trades down is there? Jets and Bills need to be up there, especially Bills.

I dont know, Indy needs a RB in the worst way. you have to think they draft the best RB on the board if he drops to them at 3

True, but QBs are way more valuable to a team than RBs. So the Browns need to take a chance this year.

I don't disagree, in general, but in the Browns case there's no guaranteed that the QB they pick is the right one. They have a guy now that can lead a team, with limited talent, to the playoffs. Outside of McCoy, the Bills didn't have anyone that commanded respect, yet, with the 20th ranked defense Taylor got them to the playoffs. They should just give him a long term deal and use those picks to draft players a other impact positions.

is it possible that Hyde is an insurance signing? maybe they want to go RBBC with him and whatever rookie they draft.

that way the rookie can learn from a vet who's reasonably decent and seems to have a good work ethic.

I dont know, Indy needs a RB in the worst way. you have to think they draft the best RB on the board if he drops to them at 3

Nelson and Chubb are at positions of greater importance that the Colts need help on. I'd think they would be best served in taking one of them over a RB. They can get an RB in the 2nd round as there are 4 or 5 other RB's in this draft that are considered quality options. They won't get the same caliber DE or OG with that pick.

Once again I agree.

I think they signed another Crowell,,when they could have drafted a better upside in Barkley.

Hyde is way better. Not even close

That's a fair comment.

Nelson and Chubb are at positions of greater importance that the Colts need help on. I'd think they would be best served in taking one of them over a RB. They can get an RB in the 2nd round as there are 4 or 5 other RB's in this draft that are considered quality options. They won't get the same caliber DE or OG with that pick.

I like the Hyde signing for CLE. He played pretty well on some really bad offenses and hes not going to be asking to handle 350+ touches anyway. Duke Johnson will spell him on many passing downs and the Browns will likely draft another back anyway.

There was never any chance of Barkley going #1 overall. CLE needs to come out of this draft with their franchise QB and teams just dont come up with 2-3 they like and pick whoever is left at 4. They were always going to draft a QB #1 overall. Id personally be shocked if the Giants pass on a RB to draft Barkley, too. They will have many offers for teams looking to trade up and get a QB.

At 4 theres a really good chance Barkley will be available. If I were the Browns I wouldnt let Hyde stop me from taking a stud RB but I wouldnt draft Saquan that high anyway, especially with Chubb / Minkah on the board and several good RB options likely to be available at 33.

I have a feeling Barkley goes 7 to the Bucs.

I agree, TBay.

Chubb or Nelson (I don't care if he's a guard; best OL in draft) would be immediate contributors in Indy.

The Colts could still get a guy like Sony MIchel or maybe Darrius Guice in Round 2. Having said that, I have a suspicion that the Patriots will take one of those guys in the late first.

I like the Hyde signing for CLE. He played pretty well on some really bad offenses and hes not going to be asking to handle 350+ touches anyway. Duke Johnson will spell him on many passing downs and the Browns will likely draft another back anyway.

There was never any chance of Barkley going #1 overall. CLE needs to come out of this draft with their franchise QB and teams just dont come up with 2-3 they like and pick whoever is left at 4. They were always going to draft a QB #1 overall. Id personally be shocked if the Giants pass on a RB to draft Barkley, too. They will have many offers for teams looking to trade up and get a QB.

At 4 theres a really good chance Barkley will be available. If I were the Browns I wouldnt let Hyde stop me from taking a stud RB but I wouldnt draft Saquan that high anyway, especially with Chubb / Minkah on the board and several good RB options likely to be available at 33.

if he slides that far down the draft, the Bucs will get themselves a steal and the move to let the muscle Hamster go will turn out to be the right one.

I don't see Barkley sliding past the Giants.

They saw up close and personal what the addition of an elite franchise-level RB did for the Cowboys. Eli would soil himself thinking about OBJ, Evan Engram, Sterling Sheppard as targets and Barkley as a bellcow RB.

I don't see Barkley sliding past the Giants.

They saw up close and personal what the addition of an elite franchise-level RB did for the Cowboys. Eli would soil himself thinking about OBJ, Evan Engram, Sterling Sheppard as targets and Barkley as a bellcow RB.

The Giants havent picked higher than 9 since drafting Eli (really Rivers) at 4 in 2004. I just cant imagine theyre going to pass on drafting a potential franchise QB without having to trade up for a RB. But I am an Eagles fan, so I hope they do.

Their statistics say otherwise...

Both have played 4 seasons

Career Stats

Carlos Hyde 655 carries 2729 yards - 4.2 YPC / 109 Rec 634 Yards

Isiah Crowell 727 carries 3118 yards - 4.2 YPC / 96 Rec 770 yards

Best Single Season

Carlos Hyde 217 carries 988 yards - 4.6 YPC / 27 Rec 163 Yards

Isiah Crowell 198 carries 952 yards - 4.8 YPC / 40 Rec 319 yards

They really do appear to be similar players on paper. Maybe the stats don't tell something but to say they aren't comparable players seems to be a reach.

is it possible that Hyde is an insurance signing? maybe they want to go RBBC with him and whatever rookie they draft.

that way the rookie can learn from a vet who's reasonably decent and seems to have a good work ethic.

I can't see Hyde signing up for that, he'd have wanted a landing spot where he would play. I'm not sure what his other offers where but I'm pretty sure he had to have some assurance that they wouldn't be taking Barkley. I have to think they plan to go QB at 1

I think that's dead on. I think the Browns are seeing it play out this way....

There are 3 QB's that warrant being taken at the top of the draft (Allen, Rosen, and Darnold) and 4 that justify a first round pick (Mayfield). The Giants Browns and Bills have to draft a QB. The Jets and Broncos would take one, but may not give up as much to move up now that they have stopgap signings.

Cleveland - QB / NYG - QB would seem to be a lock given the needs.

Indy - you have to think they trade this pick to Buffalo to move back. They have a lot of needs and multiple picks would be beneficial. Buffalo needs to get ahead of Denver (5) and NY Jets (6) to ensure one of the top 3 QB's as QB is still a consideration for those teams.

Cleveland - Look who's still here in this scenario. Bradley Chubb. Now you get the QB you wanted, not the one that remains, and Chubb.

I think CLE goes QB and 1, Giants do too and Colts take Barkley leaving Chubb fir CLE at 4.

Too high, maybe by a round for Chubb IMHO.........but you could be right of course, if anybody would make that move it would be Clev

Too high, maybe by a round for Chubb IMHO.........but you could be right of course, if anybody would make that move it would be Clev

He's talking about Bradley Chubb, not Nick Chubb.

I think CLE goes QB and 1, Giants do too and Colts take Barkley leaving Chubb fir CLE at 4.

OK, then I stand corrected!

I now want the Colts to draft both of them strictly for entertainment.

I think they'll have the opportunity.

Would their fan base be then known as the Chubbies?

How so?