Sign in to follow this  
Cloaca du jour

How does Kaepernick stay relevant this offseason?

Dont hear much about him anymore. The fake outrage is dying on the vine.

His PR guys have to be scrambling to keep him relevant.

So does he pop up someplace and create a scene?

Does he get arrested protesting some social injustice?

Does he get arrested protesting some social injustice?

No. But he can't keep a job because he cares more about himself than the company that hires him. Teams don't want him. They don't want a lot of people on their team. He is no different.

• Like 1

probably bleaches his skin sammy sosa style.

outrage galore

He said he wanted to be a starter and wanted starter money, didn't he? That won't happen. That's on him, not the NFL.

He said he wanted to be a starter and wanted starter money, didn't he? That won't happen. That's on him, not the NFL.

He simply feels entitled. No collusion, just no interest in a guy who thinks he is better than who he is as a player. There are so many people in the job market that want jobs but don't get hired in companies they really want to be in. He is one of them. Go to the CFL if they will take him.

Really?

you're right, his skin is already pretty light.

all kidding aside, the Colin Kaepernick story has many similarities to Tebow. Just not a great NFL QB who wants to be treated as such and is unwilling to do what it takes to continue playing. In Kaep's case, it's shutting his trap and accepting a backup role (although at this point, the ship has pretty much sailed), or moving on to the CFL as mentioned above.

For Tebow it was unwillingness to change positions or to go to the CLF or Arena league and work on his passing mechanics and attempt a comeback as we've seen done before. Instead of do any of that, he chose the headline grabbing route of major league baseball.

you're right, his skin is already pretty light.

all kidding aside, the Colin Kaepernick story has many similarities to Tebow. Just not a great NFL QB who wants to be treated as such and is unwilling to do what it takes to continue playing. In Kaep's case, it's shutting his trap and accepting a backup role (although at this point, the ship has pretty much sailed), or moving on to the CFL as mentioned above.

For Tebow it was unwillingness to change positions or to go to the CLF or Arena league and work on his passing mechanics and attempt a comeback as we've seen done before. Instead of do any of that, he chose the headline grabbing route of major league baseball.

I'd disagree with that argument. At no time did Tim Tebow ever show he was capable of playing QB at an NFL level. Their career stats aren't even close. Tebow had a sub 50% career completion percentage and Kaepernick outperformed him in every meaningful category. Tebow never showed he was a competent NFL QB and his refusal to play any other position led to his exit from the league. Tebow wasn't ostracized for his personal beliefs, he simply didn't play QB at an NFL level.

Kaepernick clearly has NFL QB ability. I'm not going to say he was a great QB, but given the list of QB's that made a start in 2017 he's clearly better than most reserve QB's and arguably better than some of the starters. That doesn't entitle him to a job, but if all things were equal and the ability to play QB was all that mattered, he'd have been in the league last year.

But that's not all that matters. The NFL is a PR machine. Players salaries and owners profits come from league revenue and though I doubt any gate profits were impacted, TV and ad revenues are tied to public opinion of the NFL's players. So that's a legitimate criteria for hiring someone that could be in a PR/leadership role on your team, which a QB often is. I've got no problem with individual teams saying that we don't want to deal with this PR headache so we'll pass and take a lessor player. Especially when you're talking about a backup QB (though the Eagles did prove that can be a very important position).

The problem is potentially when you have owners like Jerry Jones and Robert McNair talking about wanting to get protest movements out of the LEAGUE. While no team has to sign any particular player on an individual basis, the league can't push that policy per the collective bargaining agreement. Honestly I've never understood all the vitriol around this issue. Kaepernick has the right to express his political views. NFL teams have the right INDIVIDUALLY to not hire him because of his political views. The problem comes in when people assume that nothing but football performance is relevant to being hired and when loudmouth owners want defy the league's collective bargaining agreement. Had owners like Jones and McNair simply kept their mouths shut, I doubt there would be much Kaepernick talk this year because there would be no grounds for collusion.

No collusion. No interest in hiring him. Some people forget that the NFL is a business. That's all. I could get fired today for posting a controversial or polarizing comment in a chat room that includes my company's name or simply me as an employee of that company.

It's such a simple topic. Protest on your own time dumbass Kaepernick.

Has he been protesting now that he is not on a team? He seems more concerned about getting back into the NFL than he does about whatever he was protesting while in the NFL.

I'd disagree with that argument. At no time did Tim Tebow ever show he was capable of playing QB at an NFL level. Their career stats aren't even close. Tebow had a sub 50% career completion percentage and Kaepernick outperformed him in every meaningful category. Tebow never showed he was a competent NFL QB and his refusal to play any other position led to his exit from the league. Tebow wasn't ostracized for his personal beliefs, he simply didn't play QB at an NFL level.

Kaepernick clearly has NFL QB ability. I'm not going to say he was a great QB, but given the list of QB's that made a start in 2017 he's clearly better than most reserve QB's and arguably better than some of the starters. That doesn't entitle him to a job, but if all things were equal and the ability to play QB was all that mattered, he'd have been in the league last year.

But that's not all that matters. The NFL is a PR machine. Players salaries and owners profits come from league revenue and though I doubt any gate profits were impacted, TV and ad revenues are tied to public opinion of the NFL's players. So that's a legitimate criteria for hiring someone that could be in a PR/leadership role on your team, which a QB often is. I've got no problem with individual teams saying that we don't want to deal with this PR headache so we'll pass and take a lessor player. Especially when you're talking about a backup QB (though the Eagles did prove that can be a very important position).

The problem is potentially when you have owners like Jerry Jones and Robert McNair talking about wanting to get protest movements out of the LEAGUE. While no team has to sign any particular player on an individual basis, the league can't push that policy per the collective bargaining agreement. Honestly I've never understood all the vitriol around this issue. Kaepernick has the right to express his political views. NFL teams have the right INDIVIDUALLY to not hire him because of his political views. The problem comes in when people assume that nothing but football performance is relevant to being hired and when loudmouth owners want defy the league's collective bargaining agreement. Had owners like Jones and McNair simply kept their mouths shut, I doubt there would be much Kaepernick talk this year because there would be no grounds for collusion.

I was making a general comparison in terms of attitude, expectation (of the player) and unwillingness to change.

I did not speak at all to their statistics and capabilities other than to say they are both not starting quality.

Tebow was not the NFL QB that Kaep was but he still had the opportunity to play in another league and work on his game. Refused to do so.

By finding others that are as miserable as he is. Even the Seahawks don't want to give him a try-out, his misery is becoming hard to find company. Hopefully he finds a country he can call home.