Sign in to follow this  
titans&bucs&bearsohmy!

FFToday Chess Tournament

We are checking out of the hospital, I'll try to move, then I'm out for a little while until we get home...

I think you can only make it work to the nearest rook. Also, neither the king or the rook has moved yet.

Move the king over to the spot open right beside the rook. The move will happen automatically

You can castle to either direction. Just mover the king two spaces in either direction. It cannot be through check, and the king and rook cannot have moved previously.

You can castle to either direction. Just mover the king two spaces in either direction. It cannot be through check, and the king and rook cannot have moved previously.

:cheers:

good bit of information.

There aren't a lot of people that understand how to play chess. I'm impressed with all the participants of this tournament - it takes courage. I'll win some, and lose more, but by the end of this, I'll definitely be a better player. The ultimate strategy game of all time!

good bit of information.

There aren't a lot of people that understand how to play chess. I'm impressed with all the participants of this tournament - it takes courage. I'll win some, and lose more, but by the end of this, I'll definitely be a better player. The ultimate strategy game of all time!

My thoughts exactly. Used to pass the bong and play game after game in college..............25+ years ago. Haven't played but a handful of times since. This should knock some rust off. :thumbsup:

good bit of information.

I'm impressed with everyone too. Nobody's getting rolled, games are pretty competitive.

It's an amazing game. I got really into it about two years ago. I love all the strategy, particularly in the opening.

I tend to go in cycles. I'll play like a fiend for six months, do tactics problems, study openings, practice endgame... then I'll get burned out (or I'll go to a live tournament and get my ass handed to me by 10 year olds) and quit for six months.

I'm impressed with everyone too. Nobody's getting rolled, games are pretty competitive.

It's an amazing game. I got really into it about two years ago. I love all the strategy, particularly in the opening.

I tend to go in cycles. I'll play like a fiend for six months, do tactics problems, study openings, practice endgame... then I'll get burned out (or I'll go to a live tournament and get my ass handed to me by 10 year olds) and quit for six months.

I gave edjr and knowdoubt a game. Had an advantage on knowdoubt in 2nd game but have given him pieces again, and now down, don't mind getting outplayed, I hate when I give stuff away. My major problem, just giving stuff away, when I am on, I can be tough.

:music_guitarred:

I gave edjr and knowdoubt a game. Had an advantage on knowdoubt in 2nd game but have given him pieces again, and now down, don't mind getting outplayed, I hate when I give stuff away. My major problem, just giving stuff away, when I am on, I can be tough.

I have found that is the difference between a decent player (or patzer as its called) and a good player... consistency. On my best day, i can beat most people. I've beaten people rated 2000. The difference is that his A game shows up a lot more often than mine, so he'd win 90 out of 100.

Then a good player is able to avoid traps and occasionally set them for his opponent. A great player can control the game from start to finish.

Looks like the chess.com forum got jihaded. One of you fools alia perhaps?

fp-games

by StrmSpirit - a few minutes ago

LICKY MY ###### ###### CHESS.COM INVISIBLE BOY FOREVER NOOBIE BITCHES SUCK MY

by BirdBrain - a few minutes ago

INVISIBLE BOY IS UNBANNABLE BITCHES SUCK IT HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

by IJuStpwNedUrBUTTggty - a few minutes ago

IM vs. FM

by catnapper - 2 minutes ago

###### THIS STUPID ASS SITE TO HELL SUCK MY BALLS NOOBIES

by IJuStpwNedUrBUTTggty - 2 minutes ago

SUCK MY ###### ###### CHESS.COM BLOWS ASS

KOHAI (one of the mods) IS A STUPID ######

I HAVE GAY MONKEY SEX ON CHESSBOARD WHILE WATCHING CHESSTV

by IJuStpwNedUrBUTTggty - 3 minutes ago

MATE IN 3

by shoopi - 3 minutes ago

I hope not. That is a pretty weak jihad. :lol:

Jocstrap already kicked my ass twice. Fukker needs to spend more time playing tennis or sumfin. :mad:

you said before you haven't played in a while. This is a hard game and you have to be sharp all the time. GobbleDog is kicking my arse all over 2 games right now. I won a couple of practice games vs know doubt and Titans and Bunnys and Beavers, but not now when it counts. I blew my wad too early with them :wall:

you said before you haven't played in a while. This is a hard game and you have to be sharp all the time. GobbleDog is kicking my arse all over 2 games right now. I won a couple of practice games vs know doubt and Titans and Bunnys and Beavers, but not now when it counts. I blew my wad too early with them :wall:

Our game is dead even...

The best advice I ever heard for below-average players on how to play Chess - follow the opening principals. Middle-game is about tactics and endgame is about being a chess wizard (god i suck at end game). But if you play the opening right, lower-ranked opponents often screw themselves and the rest takes care of itself.

1. Control center. Early on that means pawns supported by minor pieces. Below-average players often ignore control of the center and develop to meaningless outside squares. Controlling the center is also important throughout the game because it allows maximum movement of long-range pieces.

2. Don't touch the same piece twice in first 8+ moves, unless you have an excellent reason to. The beginning of chess is basically a race to develop all your pieces as fast as possible. Below-average players sometimes keep moving the same piece early on.... wasting moves while their opponent gains an advantage developing new pieces each move.

3. Develop minor pieces before queen. This is the biggest mistake made among below-average players. It can sometimes work, but it usually ends up wasting moves or worse yet losing the queen. Once developed early, the queen can be easily threatened by opponents minor pieces forcing the queen to move again and again and again (thus breaking rule #2).

After that, experts advise putting pieces on squares with greatest control and look for tactics (pins and forks). That's all I know about chess. :doh:

I haven't played chess in years, sans for a couple games with an old grade-school friend's son (whos 10 I think).

Playing reminded me how much I LOVED playing Chess. It's the ultimate match of minds.

However I'm outclassed I think, and I'm not really able to play 10 games at a time. It ultimately removes my strategy from the game because I forget what my plan was.

Regardless, I would love to play one on one again later with Geeks, but 10 games at a time was too much for me.

I was never much a 'strategy' player, where I knew forks, and position. I just winged it and often did quite well. I've not been beat often on a real board.

What's a Pin and Fork ?

I know how to play but not any strategy - trying to learn the game better. Been playing Chess with friends (isles2112) with a few different skill levels and lose more then win.

I dint know where he learned it but my 13 year old plays a good game - always thinking a few moves ahead - I can't beat him.

The best advice I ever heard for below-average players on how to play Chess - follow the opening principals. Middle-game is about tactics and endgame is about being a chess wizard (god i suck at end game). But if you play the opening right, lower-ranked opponents often screw themselves and the rest takes care of itself.

1. Control center. Early on that means pawns supported by minor pieces. Below-average players often ignore control of the center and develop to meaningless outside squares. Controlling the center is also important throughout the game because it allows maximum movement of long-range pieces.

2. Don't touch the same piece twice in first 8+ moves, unless you have an excellent reason to. The beginning of chess is basically a race to develop all your pieces as fast as possible. Below-average players sometimes keep moving the same piece early on.... wasting moves while their opponent gains an advantage developing new pieces each move.

3. Develop minor pieces before queen. This is the biggest mistake made among below-average players. It can sometimes work, but it usually ends up wasting moves or worse yet losing the queen. Once developed early, the queen can be easily threatened by opponents minor pieces forcing the queen to move again and again and again (thus breaking rule #2).

After that, experts advise putting pieces on squares with greatest control and look for tactics (pins and forks). That's all I know about chess. :doh:

NOW you tell us???!!!

We're more than halfway done!!!

:mad:

NOW you tell us???!!!

We're more than halfway done!!!

:mad:

A pin is when one piece cannot move, because a more valuable piece would fall. This is a great way to capture a queen. Pin it to the king. For example, place a (protected) rook on the same rank or file as the queen, and the king. The queen cannot move to safety, as this would put the king in check. Thus, the only thing the queen can do is take the rook, trading the queen for the rook.

A fork is when one piece attacks two, and the defender can only save one. You can do it with any piece, pawns, knights, etc. The knight fork is the most deadly, especially against beginners. For example, move the knight to where it attacks both the king, and the queen at the same time. The king must move out of check, and the queen dies. Deadly.

These, along with X-rays, skewers, and other things, are called tactics. There is a tactics trainer on chess.com to practice, or, here is a free one...

Chesstempo.com

Tactical vision and improvement is the #1 way to improve at chess.

I won a game against Fruitjacket because he timed out. It could have gone either way.

Is there a way to reinstate the game and just continue from the point it was timed out?

I won a game against Fruitjacket because he timed out. It could have gone either way.

Is there a way to reinstate the game and just continue from the point it was timed out?

Sorry man. Was at a State Pool Tournament all weekend and never got a chance to get to a PC.

Sorry man. Was at a State Pool Tournament all weekend and never got a chance to get to a PC.

I would like to figure out if we can get it started back up at the point it got killed. I don't want a win that way.

Can't be done. Sorry.

I was owning him myself. And fruitjacket seems like he is still not gonna play, hasn't responded to my opening move.

Hey jokestrap,

I was wondering how many queens it was going to take for you to get me.

Nice win.

Took two off Recliner. :overhead: I know I have have gone up a level on skill playing this tourney. It's been fun. Will play you guys any time. rp said he hasn't played in years, he will be going up a few levels real quick. Wish ed didn't quit, I played too quick and gave him my queen for nothing and he stampeded me. Wanted another shot at him.

Knowdoubt dogged me hard, I slept at first then didn't see 2nd one coming.

Flamma, I moved my q and knight to the corner just to see if I could get away with it. Ain't looking too good. There are times when I know of no good moves when I play chess and I am like, " oh well, let's see where this leads us." Which I need to overcome.

I am having a blast with this thanks all.

I'm having fun with it as well. It's been so long I forgot how much fun it can be.

Besides the rust, I'm doing a few things wrong. I normally log on in the morning with a cup of coffee when I have a few minutes, or when I get in for the day......and make 3-6 moves in a span of 10 minutes. Not the best strategery for chess. I also play after drinking too much.......kinda hard to avoid this unless I don't play at night.

Anyway, it's been a blast playing with guys who are up on the game. So many moves used against me that I go :doh: why the fukk didn't I see that coming.

If any of you want to get better quick and cheap, get the book Winning Chess by Fred Reinfeld.

Most chess books are overwhelming. Reinfelds book is all tactical puzzles focusing on different themes (pins, forks, skewers, etc). Good book to read while you're on the can. You can do a puzzle in a minute or two and pick up where you left off next time you have to take a drobeski.

If any of you want to get better quick and cheap, get the book Winning Chess by Fred Reinfeld.

Most chess books are overwhelming. Reinfelds book is all tactical puzzles focusing on different themes (pins, forks, skewers, etc). Good book to read while you're on the can. You can do a puzzle in a minute or two and pick up where you left off next time you have to take a drobeski.

I'm getting better by all my mistakes:) GobbleDog knows what he's doing very well.

I like to learn on my own. What good is the game if you learn from others?

I'm getting better by all my mistakes:) GobbleDog knows what he's doing very well.

You kind of learn from others by how they exploit you. I would like a book like that.

Its just like any other area of study. You COULD learn everything on your own, but its much faster to learn from those who came before you.

There are several phases of the game...

1. Openings - You could figure out the best opening lines yourself... if you wanted to make it your full time job for 50 years or so. Its easier to memorize them.

2. Tactics - This you learn by practice. It is much faster to do it through problems rather than games though.

3. Strategy - You don't even know (this includes me by all means, not trying to sound like I'm any better) what you are looking for. You will just make the same mistakes over and over without instruction.

4. Endgames - This is all about practice. Much easier when you use establish tecniques.

Basically, if you get deep at all into chess, it becomes a whole other animal. Truthfully, in some ways, it is less of a game than a science. I got really into it all for a year or so, but got burned out.

You can just play over and over, but you won't improve all that much without study.

ETA: Also, in any form of competitive chess, you are under strict time pressures. Could you figure things out on your own? Sure. But its faster if you memorize certain things.

In top level chess, the first 5-10 moves happen almost instantly, as both players have memorized the lines they want to play in any realistic instance.

Its just like any other area of study. You COULD learn everything on your own, but its much faster to learn from those who came before you.

There are several phases of the game...

1. Openings - You could figure out the best opening lines yourself... if you wanted to make it your full time job for 50 years or so. Its easier to memorize them.

2. Tactics - This you learn by practice. It is much faster to do it through problems rather than games though.

3. Strategy - You don't even know (this includes me by all means, not trying to sound like I'm any better) what you are looking for. You will just make the same mistakes over and over without instruction.

4. Endgames - This is all about practice. Much easier when you use establish tecniques.

Basically, if you get deep at all into chess, it becomes a whole other animal. Truthfully, in some ways, it is less of a game than a science. I got really into it all for a year or so, but got burned out.

You can just play over and over, but you won't improve all that much without study.

ETA: Also, in any form of competitive chess, you are under strict time pressures. Could you figure things out on your own? Sure. But its faster if you memorize certain things.

In top level chess, the first 5-10 moves happen almost instantly, as both players have memorized the lines they want to play in any realistic instance.

Let's play a live 10 minute game:)

This is a fun thing for me. I like to study gold prospecting:)

GobbleDog knows what he's doing very well.

:thumbsup:

My game with him feels like a very slow death dance. I can't really figure out what he's setting up, he's quietly, patiently doing it, and I get the impression things will dismantle pretty fast once it's complete. Having fun though.

My game with him feels like a very slow death dance. I can't really figure out what he's setting up, he's quietly, patiently doing it, and I get the impression things will dismantle pretty fast once it's complete. Having fun though.

Yeah, one of you fockers needs to take him down for me, so that I have a chance to beat him if I win my last game with him.

I can't believe you are about to checkmate me after I took your queen so early. B!tch :P

Is there a way for someone not in the tourney (me) to veiw the games or matchups ? I suck (ask gobble) but still wished I joined up in this thing.

Is there a way for someone not in the tourney (me) to veiw the games or matchups ? I suck (ask gobble) but still wished I joined up in this thing.

join anyway, and we can start our own game. Just add our names on your friend list, and we can start anytime :cheers:

Gobble is a professional it appears. He fishes and plays chess (so his bio says) :ninja:

Be advised I'm offline until late Sunday so don't expect any moves from me until then(or Monday).

I can't believe you are about to checkmate me after I took your queen so early. B!tch :P

Was thinking I wouldn't say anything unless I actually won games with the veterans, but my dad's helping me out, especially now in the end game. So if we happen to win, you only sorta got beat by a girl :bandana: He's rusty, hasn't played in years, and never played regularly, but he picks up on prudent long term strategy well enough that I'd probably be gone by now.

Damn Naomi, make some fukking moves without Daddy. Your games are taking too long. We can't all wait for your trips home for Thanksgiving and Christmas for you to get advice.

Also, anyone else in the tourney that wants a game on the side challenge me. Jocstrap and I have already played a few games outside the tourney.

It's boring to log on for the one game in the tourney only to see another day went by with no move.