Sign in to follow this  
Maulers1973

Dark Horse Running Backs for 2017......

Could some of the 2nd string guys, rookies and sophomores of last year that got spot duty emerge into a bell cow role this year? I'm wondering about guys like:

1. Bilal Powell

2. Wendel Smallwood

3. Derrick Henry

4. Deadre Washington

5. Jalen Richard

6. Devontae Bookier

7. Duke Johnson

8. Mike Gillislee

Any other candidates that you think could emerge? I'm looking for a 2nd RB in my keeper dynasty league. I own the rights to Doug Martin, B Powell, W Smallwood and J Richard, but I'm not very excited about any of them. Though, I wouldn't be surprised if one of them has a shockingly great season this year.

I think Powell has a good shot.

I like him.

The others it just depends on injuries.

I think Booker will be better with a season under his belt.

I think the Eagles Rb situation is a big mess.

And I the same with the Raiders with Lynch joining the roster.

And no Patriot Rb is to be trusted.

Oh and ps for what it's worth I liked the Browns draft.

I guess one can add J Charles now that the Broncos just sign him.

What do you think about Perkins?

Paul Perkins

He reminds me of Christine Michael. Almost too fast for his own good. In open space he'll make people miss. Can't block to save his life though. That isn't one of those talking points where I say a guy can't block because that's the thing to say about a young runningback if you want to sound like you know what you're talking about. I watched him play a few times, and he looks like an old lady trying to swat a fly with her purse when he tries to block. He might be the worst blocking runningback I've ever seen in the NFL.

He doesn't have much competition for touches, and he was just announced as the starter. The other runningbacks on the roster are Vereen, Darkwa, and Shaun Doughn. The situation looks pretty sweet except for the fact that the Giants never commit to running the ball let alone commit to giving one guy touches. Now that they added Brandon Marshall and drafted that tightend that can catch to Beckham and Shepard, they may never get out of the that 11 personnel. That should create space for Perkins to catch some passes. I don't think he runs with enough strength to sustain 18 carries a game. Not that he would ever have to since the Giants hate running the ball.

I like him.

Agree with all of this. Powell has turned into a very underrated player. With the Jets likely trailing most of their games and Forte another year older I like him a lot in PPR this year

Ty Montgomery named the starter. A full season prepping at RB and he could be a big sleeper.

• Like 1

If your in keeper leagues or dynasty..grab Henry now while he's cheap!

Ty Montgomery is a very interesting project.

He's diffently going to be the Packers rb1.

And I agree with everything that was said about Perkins.

I saw that the Gmen where still looking at Blount.

I guess one can add J Charles now that the Broncos just sign him.

I like him.

I own the rights to Charles as well, but he'd have to look amazing in the preseason for me to even consider keeping him. In fact, at this point even if he looked good I'd look at trading him. I just don't trust him to remain healthy for a full season.

I've softened my stance on the Browns draft. It could have been better, but it was a fairly good haul. I give them a solid B.

I am targeting a couple rookies in the draft, Mcaffery and Mixon. I think Mcaffery really landed in a great spot especially for PPR. He could be a top 5 ff back.

I think Mccaffery to the Panthers is a very good landing spot, I think Mixon could be a have a great season.

Agree about Charles, he's truly a shot in the dark.

I would diffently shop him and see what you can get.

Is Robert Kelley getting the starting gig in DC?

That's a very good question.

I'm not sure Kelley is the answer so I say he will lose his job.

That's a very good question.

I'm not sure Kelley is the answer so I say he will lose his job.

I would agree.

Perine for 1st and 2nd downs.

Thompson as the 3rd down, pass catcher.

Kelley as the short yardage, goal line plodder.

Marshall hangs on as the 4th stringer.

Jones gets cut. I think there is definitely enough there with Jones that he gets an opportunity elsewhere though. Just his time is up in DC.

I thought Rob Kelly looked really good last year. Though, he is more of a power back and not truly explosive in the open the field. I guess I could see Perine over taking him on the depth chart. Though, I don't know that Perine is a lot more explosive. This is definitely one to watch unfold as training camps go on.

A very deep sleeper would be Tarik Cohen with the Bears. He's a rookie from NC A&T that compares to Darren Sproles. If he earns a spot on the team and they use him as their receiving back then he could put up some points. Most likely would get a few carries and a a handful of receptions each game. Possible kick/punt returner too.

Jonathan Williams (BUF)

James Conner (PIT)

D'Onta Foreman (HOU)

My preference in a keeper format is Derrick Henry. I also like Powell for the here and now - a chance to be very good in PPR if Forte struggles. Although I like Gillislee, the NE backfield is crowded. The others are certainly dark horses and would need some breaks to be a factor.

Dalvin Cook. Latavius is not that good and willl probably be on the trainers table by the fourth week. Dalvin is the real deal

Cook is a very interesting pick, I think his presence will actually help keep L Murray healthier.

I don't see Cook being more than a rb3 with L Murray around.

I would agree.

Perine for 1st and 2nd downs.

Thompson as the 3rd down, pass catcher.

Kelley as the short yardage, goal line plodder.

Marshall hangs on as the 4th stringer.

Jones gets cut. I think there is definitely enough there with Jones that he gets an opportunity elsewhere though. Just his time is up in DC.

they specifically drafted Perine to improve redzone conversion

the way I see it shaking out is:

1-2 down - Kelly/ Perine 50/50 split to start the season

Perine to take 70% of the snaps around week 4 and on

3rd down - Thompson/ Perine 70/30 Perine has underrated hands and will be used in a lot of screens.

Goal line - Perine/ Kelly 80/20 again, perine was brought it to improve redzone as a smash mouth hard hitting runner.

Kelly will get drafted too early, but perine is the guy to own.

Jeremy McNichols

Former WR turned RB who may get plenty of work on a young and up and coming offense with Dougie Martin serving his suspension. Of course with that said, Doug Martin has looked great so far in workouts so if he were to drop far enough in drafts I'd take a chance on him as well. Basically I'm in on the Tampa Bay backfield.

Jeremy McNichols

Former WR turned RB who may get plenty of work on a young and up and coming offense with Dougie Martin serving his suspension. Of course with that said, Doug Martin has looked great so far in workouts so if he were to drop far enough in drafts I'd take a chance on him as well. Basically I'm in on the Tampa Bay backfield.

With Quiz, Simms and Barber I don't see value.

Ty Montgomery of the Packers is going to be a hard one to rank.

I'm not sure how to rank him at this time.

• Like 1

Ty Montgomery of the Packers is going to be a hard one to rank.

I'm not sure how to rank him at this time.

He is a tough one. His freak game week 16 carried me to a championship appearance so he will always have a special place in my heart.

They only gave him double digit carries once last year. Part of that could be do to the sickle cell and maybe that is better this year but I don't think the staff sees him as a bell cow. I think Jamal Williams will be the guy in GB by winter.

Ty Montgomery named the starter. A full season prepping at RB and he could be a big sleeper.

Sleeper?

I think he's already a star.

I saw that his coach named him the starter right after the draft.

But one fact that BobSanders made was he only rushed the ball more then ten times once last season.

That's the one stat that's makes me hold back on making him anything more than a Rb3.

And with the Packers drafting J Williams is now another reason.

I saw that his coach named him the starter right after the draft.

But one fact that BobSanders made was he only rushed the ball more then ten times once last season.

That's the one stat that's makes me hold back on making him anything more than a Rb3.

And with the Packers drafting J Williams is now another reason.

valid concern. I do think with a full offseason, he will be better as a runner.

but as a RB who can catch like a WR, he reminds me a lot of Tiki Barber. If they up his workload to 15 carries a game and utilize him in the pass game the same way, he's a high end RB2 with RB1 potential. Especially in PPR.

Hopefully he can improve his pass pro, and inside running.

I would agree, I want to rank him as a high Rb2.

But having a hard time doing so.

I would like Gillis Lee if there weren't soooo many rb's on the Pats. Henry & Duke Johnson might only get the job if an injury ours to Murray or Crowell. Bilal Powell may have the est shot. I think Perine boots Kelly out of the top spot.If Mixon has a good camp & preseason might be hard to keep him off the field, all abut 2nd chances.

Problem with the Mixon situation is the Bengals coaching.

I'm not sure they will do the right thing.

I can still see them relaying on Hill like someone said.

And half a 50/50 split.

They need to give Mixon the ball and let him eat.

Blount going to make noise in Philly?

Thinking Ryan Mathews workload. It will be a committee, should get bulk of short yardage work.

Still see Sproles being active in the red zone though. Given Jeffery's presence too, the TD numbers might come close to double digits, but I'd temper expectations.

I think it's great for Sproles' value. His ADP is gonna keep holding serve where it is. Nice and low for value

No higher than a Low Rb3.

Thinking Ryan Mathews workload. It will be a committee, should get bulk of short yardage work.

Still see Sproles being active in the red zone though. Given Jeffery's presence too, the TD numbers might come close to double digits, but I'd temper expectations.

I think it's great for Sproles' value. His ADP is gonna keep holding serve where it is. Nice and low for value

I dont know. I'd actually be surprised if they didnt dump Ryan Matthews entirely..

averaging 12 carries a game in 2014 and can only play in 6 games.

averaging 8 carries per game in 2015 and can only play 13 games.

averaging 12 carries in 2016 and once again can only stay healthy enough to play 13 games.

This guy clearly cannot take the pounding. He's fine as a backup or a 3rd string, but he has proven he cant carry the mail without getting hurt.

I dont know. I'd actually be surprised if they didnt dump Ryan Matthews entirely..

averaging 12 carries a game in 2014 and can only play in 6 games.

averaging 8 carries per game in 2015 and can only play 13 games.

averaging 12 carries in 2016 and once again can only stay healthy enough to play 13 games.

This guy clearly cannot take the pounding. He's fine as a backup or a 3rd string, but he has proven he cant carry the mail without getting hurt.

I was referring to Blount's expected workload. Mathews is a cap causality the second he gets healthy

The Blount signing likely wipes out Smallwood as a candidate to emerge, but I'll still pay attention thru camp to see how the depth chart shapes up.