Sign in to follow this  
bfros

Advice--what to do when a league owner dies?

Had a tragedy in our league last week...one of our owners died in a car accident. As a league, we've decided that we'd like to continue the season. FF is a fun outlet and distraction and a way for us to stay in touch. The problem is what to do with his team? We've tried to find another owner to come in and manage the team, but so far no takers. It would seem a bit unethical for one of us to manage the team, as that would give that owner an advantage (owning two teams). We could just let his team sit there and go un-manned for the rest of the season, which would be an advantage for the teams that still get to play him. And also a bit creepy to just let the team sit there.

Any creative ideas? I'm the league commish....never had to deal with something like this.

Just put the team on "auto" pilot. Insert players for byes.

If the team wins money, give it to the guys wife or something?

U, the commish should manage his team

This is exactly what should happen.

The team should not make any trades or WW pickups, but the best available lineup should be inserted week to week so as to not give anyone playing them a free win.

Should probably donate the winnings to his wife regardless of outcome.

If you still want to play out the season make his lineup from the highest projected players. Maybe its just me, but i honestly think it would be kind of shltty not to donate the money put into the league.

• Like 1

The money part isn't an issue--that will go to the guys' family.

The autopilot idea is good--just inserting the best possible lineup each week based on projections--but there will be weeks where he doesn't have a QB or TE or K or DST cause of byes/injuries and I'd have to do WW pickups, etc. I could just pick up the highest rated player at that position and insert, etc. Probably not too hard to do that.

The whole thing is just weird.

get a oiuja board and perform a seance every sat night so he is afforded the opportunity to still set his lineup b4 sunday kickoff.

he has earned the right to finish what he started.

• Like 1

Did he pay already? just manage his team as the commish or have someone else pay to take over his team.

He already said they are donating the money and im sure the teams fees are already paid, so it makes no sense to have the new guy pay to join a league that is going to donate the money anyway.

As far as taking care of byes:

Wait until sunday or saturday which will be after everyone has had their fair shot at the WW to pick up players. Then do what you said and add the highest rated player.

we had this happen and I as commish managed his team from week 2 till end of year. If his team finished in the $$$ we were just going to add that $$$ to next years $$$. But his team didnt make playoffs.

We have faced a similar situation in our league.

Commish managed the team except for the week when he was playing them h-to-h. Top ranked team set his lineup that week. Trades/ww moves were left to commish, though he reached outr to the group for their input on a couple.

As owners we agreed that all the winnings for the season should go to his family. Offered to refund the entry fee to whoever the champ might be, but all declined.

Reinforced to me why this is the only league I play in, with long time friends.

• Like 1

Should probably donate the winnings to his wife regardless of outcome.

If you still want to play out the season make his lineup from the highest projected players. Maybe its just me, but i honestly think it would be kind of shltty not to donate the money put into the league.

This.

I recommend putting in his optimal lineup each week. If you are consistent in basing it off of projected scores than it will be fair for everyone. If he doesn't have a player for a position because of a bye they pick up the highest projected player at that position and drop his lowest ranked player. Other than that do not tamper with his roster.

Lot of classy responses in this thread.

Christ...

Christ is posting here now? Awesome!!

Christ is posting here now? Awesome!!

You're still here?

Christ...

I've had to boot an owner mid-season before and what has been agreed on in our league is to use the highest projected point players for each position from the site that you use to run your league, else pick a default league to use. Seems like the only fair way to do it. This takes out any opinions.

When the mange posters get a glimpse of the geek bored...

:lock:

I come here solely for the expert advice of one gfiafp

Had a tragedy in our league last week...one of our owners died in a car accident. As a league, we've decided that we'd like to continue the season. FF is a fun outlet and distraction and a way for us to stay in touch. The problem is what to do with his team? We've tried to find another owner to come in and manage the team, but so far no takers. It would seem a bit unethical for one of us to manage the team, as that would give that owner an advantage (owning two teams). We could just let his team sit there and go un-manned for the rest of the season, which would be an advantage for the teams that still get to play him. And also a bit creepy to just let the team sit there.

Any creative ideas? I'm the league commish....never had to deal with something like this.

Pray

Sorry this happened in your league. I hope all goes well for everyone involved. Had this happen in a league last season with about 4 weeks to go in the season. The only difference was this guy was the league commissioner. He had some genetic disorder and had sudden kidney failure. He was just 24. I was vice and took over. We found another owner to finish out the season for his team and take over full time.

His wife had the league money so we decided to donate all of it to a charity on research for kidney disorders. We will donate a small amount each year we do the league and get a championship trophy made each season in his name. I feel those are pretty nice gestures.

OP does have the best Avatar....I feel that way all the time.

What happened to the owner ?....was it by any chance driving home Sunday after a bad day of FF ? (that would be awful, but can happen w/ the amount of alcohol my guys consume all day)

What happened to the owner ?

He died... I thought that was explained pretty well in the post...

I've had to boot an owner mid-season before and what has been agreed on in our league is to use the highest projected point players for each position from the site that you use to run your league, else pick a default league to use. Seems like the only fair way to do it. This takes out any opinions.

Yahoo and ESPN rankings are a joke. I'd use a consensus site like FantasyPros.

:lock:

I come here solely for the expert advice of one gfiafp

Didn't GF brag about being a marine, and how much he could bench, only to challenge some other user in person, and get exposed as the fp that he is?

Good times.

We have faced a similar situation in our league.

Commish managed the team except for the week when he was playing them h-to-h. Top ranked team set his lineup that week. Trades/ww moves were left to commish, though he reached outr to the group for their input on a couple.

As owners we agreed that all the winnings for the season should go to his family. Offered to refund the entry fee to whoever the champ might be, but all declined.

Reinforced to me why this is the only league I play in, with long time friends.

this is the perfect answer...

and my condolences...

Had this happen 3 yrs ago in a league that I'm the commish. I managed his team and his team ended up winning the title. Took the winnings and established a memorial week challenge in his honor which takes place during the last week of the fantasy regular season. All winning teams that week get $. Gonna continue it as long as the league is running.

Had the same thing happen a few years ago (2009). Guy got killed when he was riding in the bed of a pickup truck being driven by his crazya$$ girlfriend.

Oh wait, I'm thinking of Chris Henry. He was never in our league (although I may have owned him in fantasy at the time).

Nevermind.

Had the same thing happen a few years ago (2009). Guy got killed when he was riding in the bed of a pickup truck being driven by his crazya$$ girlfriend.

Oh wait, I'm thinking of Chris Henry. He was never in our league (although I may have owned him in fantasy at the time).

Nevermind.

Dude, Chris Henry was my brother :thumbsdown:

Sorry this happened in your league. I hope all goes well for everyone involved. Had this happen in a league last season with about 4 weeks to go in the season. The only difference was this guy was the league commissioner. He had some genetic disorder and had sudden kidney failure. He was just 24. I was vice and took over. We found another owner to finish out the season for his team and take over full time.

His wife had the league money so we decided to donate all of it to a charity on research for kidney disorders. We will donate a small amount each year we do the league and get a championship trophy made each season in his name. I feel those are pretty nice gestures.

this is the perfect answer...

and my condolences...

Personally I think Polecatt had the perfect answer. Although JT's was great as well. :cheers: