Sign in to follow this  
GobbleDog

Refrigerator repairs - all suggestions welcome

Fridge temp used to be 40 degrees... now it don't go lower than 60. https://www.shopperschoice.com/item_item_2572064.html 8 years old

Google: "Vacuum condenser coils" - I vacuumed

Google: "Replace condenser fan motor" - I replaced

Wife: "I want a new refrigerator" - I back-handed

Idiot friend: "Unplug fridge for 24 hrs... freon settles dude" - I'm considering out of desperation

What say ye FFToday? Save me $1,400. :(

Is it running?

condenser is probably shot or has a leak. Replacing it is almost as much as a new fridge. Your wife may have a point.

Could it be a thermostat issue?

Flux Capacitor?

Had this recently. The condenser is most likely the problem. What stopped me from replacing it is not wanting to spend several hundred dollars replacing that part only to find out it was something else broken and the fact that I really could wait a week for shipping without a fridge just to figure it out. So I bought a new fridge. $900 though.

https://www.repairclinic.com/RepairHelp/How-To-Fix-A-Refrigerator/51-160-1068004-/Samsung-Refrigerator-not-cooling-RF266AEWP

The compressor is a motor which compresses the refrigerant and circulates the refrigerant through the evaporator and condenser coils. If the compressor is not working, the refrigerator won’t cool. However, this isn’t usually the case. Before replacing the compressor, first check all of the more commonly defective components. If all of the other components are working properly, use a multimeter to test the compressor for continuity. If the compressor does not have continuity, replace it.

https://www.repairclinic.com/RepairHelp/How-To-Fix-A-Refrigerator/51-160-1068004-/Samsung-Refrigerator-not-cooling-RF266AEWP

The compressor is a motor which compresses the refrigerant and circulates the refrigerant through the evaporator and condenser coils. If the compressor is not working, the refrigerator wont cool. However, this isnt usually the case. Before replacing the compressor, first check all of the more commonly defective components. If all of the other components are working properly, use a multimeter to test the compressor for continuity. If the compressor does not have continuity, replace it.

He said it gets to 60 degrees so assuming the motor runs, but either has a leak in condenser or a thermostat issue

You can't tell what's wrong with it, until you take out the shelves, get inside and close the door. Report back later what you discover.

:thumbsup:

You can't tell what's wrong with it, until you take out the shelves, get inside and close the door. Report back later what you discover.

Does the light go off? One of life's great mysteries... :thumbsup:

Oh yeah... good chance it is the thermostat as others have stated. I replaced one once and it was a PITA, although this was back before you could google or youtube step by step instructions. Pretty cheap thing to try from a part price perspective.

I don't think it is a compressor leak, or a blown compressor. If so it wouldn't be cooling at all at this point.

Next time, on a very special Punky Brewster. :(

Freezer works fine, fridge doesn't cool below 60. If compressor is broke, would freezer work?

I'm thinking temp sensor or motherboard, right? I read about "testing continuity" and stuff, but that's beyond me. I was kinda hoping someone would agree with unplugging it for 24 hrs.

Freezer works fine, fridge doesn't cool below 60. If compressor is broke, would freezer work?

I'm thinking temp sensor or motherboard, right? I read about "testing continuity" and stuff, but that's beyond me. I was kinda hoping someone would agree with unplugging it for 24 hrs.

Sorry but I'm a No on unplugging it. The only reason I think that could work is if the fridge is not frost free and you see ice accumulation which needs to melt. That doesn't sound like the case though.

Can someone else provide a rebuttal? I'm interested in why unplugging it would work.

Does your fridge have one or two compressors? If one, I think that the fact that the freezer works and the fridge doesn't points to the thermostat for the fridge. If two, I'd still check the thermostat first.

Sorry but I'm a No on unplugging it. The only reason I think that could work is if the fridge is not frost free and you see ice accumulation which needs to melt. That doesn't sound like the case though.

Can someone else provide a rebuttal? I'm interested in why unplugging it would work.

Does your fridge have one or two compressors? If one, I think that the fact that the freezer works and the fridge doesn't points to the thermostat for the fridge. If two, I'd still check the thermostat first.

Maybe fridges are like cable company wifi routers?

I think you're right if the freezer portion works.

Continuity testing is just getting a cheap voltmeter and setting it to Ω (ohms) which reads resistance. Zero ohms = a short or continuity. When you place the leads across the terminals it tells you to, the meter should beep indicating continuity.

I think I figured it - frozen evaporator coils . I see ice inside. It's mildly iced over a few times over 8 years, but never lost that much temperature. Defrosting coils should fix that... for a couple months.

Heating coil, temp sensor, mobo, or clogged evaporator hole. I'm betting $1,400 it's one of 'em. :music_guitarred:

For anyone unlucky enough to own a SAMSUNG refrigerator, remember this thread. Samsung's are known for freeze up problems as I've learned - heating coil design flaw. Solution:

Take interior panel off. Won't come off because it's frozen stuck? Put floor heater inside fridge for an hour. Take panel off, let floor heater defrost the coils. Last but not least..... shop-vac water out of drain hole (straw helps) and then pour boiling water in. Repeat every 10 minutes. Eventually ice inside drain hole will melt and let water flow.

Put everything back together, plug it in, and according to the internet ... repeat when necessary (every year or so). Congratulations! You bought a Samsung refrigerator.

For anyone unlucky enough to own a SAMSUNG refrigerator, remember this thread. Samsung's are known for freeze up problems as I've learned - heating coil design flaw. Solution:

Take interior panel off. Won't come off because it's frozen stuck? Put floor heater inside fridge for an hour. Take panel off, let floor heater defrost the coils. Last but not least..... shop-vac water out of drain hole (straw helps) and then pour boiling water in. Repeat every 10 minutes. Eventually ice inside drain hole will melt and let water flow.

Put everything back together, plug it in, and according to the internet ... repeat when necessary (every year or so). Congratulations! You bought a Samsung refrigerator.

But can it tell me when I need more mayo?

Whenever our lab freezers or refrigerators go down I first clean all the dust near their "lungs". Our freezers actually have filters that can be taken out to be cleaned. Think of them like humans, they need to breathe. Check the wire and outlet. If that doesn't work I unplug for 24 hours. Then plug back up and leave empty for 24 before refilling. 80% of the time that is all that is needed. 10% of the time a new part is needed the other 10% of the time the equipment needs to be replaced. Good luck!

BTW, it costs $200 for a repairman to come out to our lab just look at our fridge or freezer to make an assessment and give us a quote. Not sure how much to come to your home. Sometimes they'll give you free advice over the phone.