Sign in to follow this  
pittnthat

RG3 to the Skins

And the Redskins sign a 5 year commitment to sucking. Now they got their stud QB, but with no talent to properly coach him and no future picks to get some talent around him.

And here we thought they were improving in the management side. Looks like they are still disrespecting picks to get jersey sellers.

Really not that bad of a deal IMO. It's a lot to give up, but you're hoping to get a franchise QB for the next 10+ years. They rarely build through the draft anyway, so they'll be looking to sign a decent WR. Don't know who they could get, if they can afford V. Jax, Bowe, or someone else.

They have a decent 1-2 punch in Helu and Hightower. If they can get a top WR threat, Moss can move to a 2 or 3 spot where he'd do pretty good again. They always have a decent defense and an average O line. RG3 will make that Oline look better. Fred Davis is turning into something pretty good and they have Cooley to run a 2 TE set, but he is getting old.

I hate the 'skins but it isn't that bad of a move. You got a division with Eli, Romo, and Vick...Grossman doesn't belong. I doubt they could get Flynn, and we've seen how getting QBs in the 1st round have gone unless they're highly rated and talked raved about. Even then it's a risk, but Luck and RG3 are some of the safer ones.

I just had to go to a Skins forum... They are skipping around like idiots in heat. Do they grasp what they just gave up for a QB for a team with a stupid amount of holes? They now don't have a first round pick until 2015...

Really not that bad of a deal IMO. It's a lot to give up, but you're hoping to get a franchise QB for the next 10+ years. They rarely build through the draft anyway, so they'll be looking to sign a decent WR. Don't know who they could get, if they can afford V. Jax, Bowe, or someone else.

They have a decent 1-2 punch in Helu and Hightower. If they can get a top WR threat, Moss can move to a 2 or 3 spot where he'd do pretty good again. They always have a decent defense and an average O line. RG3 will make that Oline look better. Fred Davis is turning into something pretty good and they have Cooley to run a 2 TE set, but he is getting old.

I hate the 'skins but it isn't that bad of a move. You got a division with Eli, Romo, and Vick...Grossman doesn't belong. I doubt they could get Flynn, and we've seen how getting QBs in the 1st round have gone unless they're highly rated and talked raved about. Even then it's a risk, but Luck and RG3 are some of the safer ones.

And that is why they suck every year.

Didn't the coach say they had a playoff caliber offense not too long ago? They just need to stay healthy...

ESPN's Shefter reported the Skins are still going to try to get Manning and land both QBs.

Why would Manning ever go to the Skins now knowing he's a place holder and tutor.

As a Skins fan I'm happy. The league is built as a pure passing league. Defenses can't defend the pass anymore nor touch the QB. To me its still like giving up two first round picks. We swap up this year, so it doesn't count. The next two years they don't have one. But that was always the price for RGIII. Why is anyone surprised this deal happened?

GOing into another season with Rex Grossman is another waste of time. I'd rather waste that time with RGIII learning how to play in the NFL.

From the ESPN chat board "Redskins might be able to draft RG4 the next time they have a draft pick."

Stupid Redskins. How do you give up THREE first rounders and a second rounder to move up four effing spots in the draft??? No wonder this franchise has sucked for two solid decades now. :thumbsdown:

How funny would it be if RG3 pulled an ElwayEli? On another note, there was only 1 team capable of trumping the Raiders idiocy with Carson Palmer...'and they totally go and redeem themselves!!'.

Stupid Redskins. How do you give up THREE first rounders and a second rounder to move up four effing spots in the draft??? No wonder this franchise has sucked for two solid decades now. :thumbsdown:

maybe they're not that stupid since it's two 1st rounders to move up.

maybe i'm crazy but I'd have liked to see my Bills do it. you need a QB in the NFL, not a decent DL / RB / LB / CB type thats been taken each year around the 10th spot (orakpo, L.mckelvin, m.lynch, carlos rogers, ryan kerrigan, aaron maybin, etc.)

Since he was caught, I wonder if Gregg Williams will still have to pay the Rams for this one...

maybe they're not that stupid since it's two 1st rounders to move up.

maybe i'm crazy but I'd have liked to see my Bills do it. you need a QB in the NFL, not a decent DL / RB / LB / CB type thats been taken each year around the 10th spot (orakpo, L.mckelvin, m.lynch, carlos rogers, ryan kerrigan, aaron maybin, etc.)

I completely agree with the value of a franchise QB, but that is just too much to give up. Especially when nobody is a sure thing. What if RGIII ends up being the next Ryan Leaf or Akili Smith? Then the Redskins are REALLY focked.

And even if he ends up being good, how are they going to build a team around him without any top draft picks? The Redskins need a lot more than a QB.

ESPN's Shefter reported the Skins are still going to try to get Manning and land both QBs.

Why would Manning ever go to the Skins now knowing he's a place holder and tutor.

As a Skins fan I'm happy. The league is built as a pure passing league. Defenses can't defend the pass anymore nor touch the QB. To me its still like giving up two first round picks. We swap up this year, so it doesn't count. The next two years they don't have one. But that was always the price for RGIII. Why is anyone surprised this deal happened?

GOing into another season with Rex Grossman is another waste of time. I'd rather waste that time with RGIII learning how to play in the NFL.

I have to disagree with that statement from ESPN. I tend to believe the Skins made this deal because Manning wasn't interest in signing with them. I'm not surprised at all that the Skins made this trade, but giving up a 1st round pick in '14 may have been a little bit too much. RG3 does look like an improvement over Groosman/Beck.

wow. Not quite at a Herschel-to-the-Vikes level, but close. So the Rams will have one 1st rounder this year (probably Blackmon or Claiborne), two in '13, two in '14. Bradford, if healthy, is a franchise QB. This team has all the tools to be really dangerous in three years if they draft well.

It's not 3 first rounders. They essentially swap first round picks this year, so it really boils down to 2 first and one 2nd rounder . Plus I read that the Skins have room under the cap to sign a free agent WR like VJax or Manningham . It doesn't look that bad if you dig deeper .

The timing of the deal is weird. Let's say RG3 gets into an accident or something happens to him between now and the end of April. Now you are totally screwed. I understand the Rams wanted to make a deal now because they had all the leverage in the world, but I think the only team that was stupid enough to make that deal, and make it on March 9 was the Skins.

It's not 3 first rounders. They essentially swap first round picks this year, so it really boils down to 2 first and one 2nd rounder . Plus I read that the Skins have room under the cap to sign a free agent WR like VJax or Manningham . It doesn't look that bad if you dig deeper .

No that's still really bad.

He better be Joe Montana good REAL SOON. All I have to say is WOW!

I have a hard time believing that the Skins had to include the #1 two years from now(The Rams would have done the deal if this was a #2). I would hope that the Skins will get some mid round picks back from the Rams like a 3rd rounder in the next couple of drafts.

The Rams have a chance to have 2 top 10 picks again next year and then start being playoffs participants for years.

This isn't the 2 round NBA draft. Why are some reacting like the team has zero draft picks now ? Even after this trade the Skins have 7 picks this year, 7 picks in 2013 and 6 picks in 2014, as of now. Who knows when the time comes if they will move down for even more picks . Plus with the Skins spotty record of 1st round picks, the picks they gave to the Rams might not have panned out anyway .

Who cares about first round picks. How many bust have we seen. This is a good trade for the redskins.

If he turns out to be superstar we will all look back and say wow- what a great trade.

The timing of the deal is weird. Let's say RG3 gets into an accident or something happens to him between now and the end of April. Now you are totally screwed. I understand the Rams wanted to make a deal now because they had all the leverage in the world, but I think the only team that was stupid enough to make that deal, and make it on March 9 was the Skins.

My thoughts as well... Scary

Redskins are the new Raiders. This is awesome. Great deal for the Rams to rebuild - excellent use of leverage being that they aren't in dire need of a QB (well, depending on how you feel about Bradford)...

This is the most pertinent post of the entire thread. What an absolute f*cking STEAL for the Rams. I hope they at least gave the skins a reach around...

As an Eagles fan I'd be much more concerned if Washington had a competent coaching staff and front office.

Great move by the Rams. Fleeced them.

This is the most pertinent post of the entire thread. What an absolute f*cking STEAL for the Rams. I hope they at least gave the skins a reach around...

Not really - draft picks don't cost alot of money anymore, so FA $$ is more relevant nowadays. Skins are 45 mill under cap. I still don't understand why draft picks are so valued by fans... If picks are right 1/4 times .. And RG3 becomes a star, then those 3 traded 1st round picks will be worth it :)

FOR ALL DOUBTERS..

Who is your team?

and list your teams last 3 year first round picks..

now what do you think bout trade?

wow. Not quite at a Herschel-to-the-Vikes level, but close. So the Rams will have one 1st rounder this year (probably Blackmon or Claiborne), two in '13, two in '14. Bradford, if healthy, is a franchise QB. This team has all the tools to be really dangerous in three years if they draft well.

Blackmon and Claiborne will both be gone by #6.

Not really - draft picks don't cost alot of money anymore, so FA $$ is more relevant nowadays. Skins are 45 mill under cap. I still don't understand why draft picks are so valued by fans... If picks are right 1/4 times .. And RG3 becomes a star, then those 3 traded 1st round picks will be worth it :)

FOR ALL DOUBTERS..

Who is your team?

Green Bay

2009 - B.J. Raji :thumbsup:

2009 - Clay Matthews :thumbsup:

2010 - Bryan Bulaga :thumbsup:

2011 - Derek Sherrod ?

Trade - StL = :thumbsup:

FOR ALL DOUBTERS..

Who is your team?

With the rookie cap now in place, it doesn't cost as much to sign an early 1st round pick as it did in the past. You'll never know for sure how the trade would work out if the Skins do take RG3. If the Skins do well the next 3 years, those first round picks could be late in the first round.

I'll go back nine years for my team's first round picks, with 8 of them still on the team and all of then still in the NFL:

03. Troy Polamalu

04. Ben Roethlisberger

05. Heath Miller

06. Santonio Hlomes

07. Lawrence Timmons

08. Rashard Mendenhall

09. Ziggy Hood

10. Maurkice Pouncey

11. Can Heyward

I still don't understand why draft picks are so valued by fans.

probably because they're so highly valued by teams. your '1 in 4' example has a problem--generally, a 1st round flop performs like a 4th rounder and stays in the league for a while. a 4th round flop is doing nightclub security after he fails to make final cuts. scouts all over the league agree that if you're picking in the top 8 (bottom 1/4th of the league), the odds are very good that you're getting a player that will at least be useful for you. after that, it drops off sharply. no one knows what a player at any pick is going to do, but the higher you pick the better your odds are. and with the new structure of rookie compensation, those odds come at a very good price.

by making this trade, washington gives up their best odds to land those players for a couple of years. what's painful to see is that they are only moving up a few spots, and those future considerations are likely also to be high picks.

look man, as a cowboys fan, i'm desperate for a cornerback, but i wouldn't even support giving up a single first round pick to move up to get claiborne (and realistically, dallas' first rounder next season is probably going to be less valuable than washington's).

i guess the question comes down to this--what current NFL player would you feel comfortable trading 3 1st rounders and a second rounder to get?

FOR ALL DOUBTERS..

Who is your team?

I gave you the first 3 rounds

2011 - AJ Green, Andy Dalton, Dontay Moch

2010 - Jermaine Gresham, Carlos Dunlap, Jordan Shipley

2009 - Andre Smith, Rey Maualuga, Michael Johnson

That's huge quality right there. All are still on the team, and 4 made the pro bowl last year.

This is essentially the Bears for Cutler trade . The Bears gave up two 1st round picks, a 3rd round and Orton to Denver for Jay Cutler. And I don't see a lot of Bears fans saying they got fleeced by the Broncos .

i guess the question comes down to this--what current NFL player would you feel comfortable trading 3 1st rounders and a second rounder to get?

Exactly. The going rate for an established ... albeit proven to be over-the-hill QB ... with a decade of experience as an NFL starter is somewhere around a 4th round pick.

Who is your team?

Here are all the Patriots first rounders since 2000. Belichick may be frustrating to watch trade back repeatedly, but when he does take a guy in the first round, he is rarely an out and out bust. Other than Laurence Maroney. A couple of these guys didnt end up being studs, but almost all of them have at least been solid starters for several years. And even the one guy who would be considered a bust played 5 years in the league and had one very productive year. I think when you consider how many of these picks were in the last third of the first round, its a pretty amazing track record.

Richard Seymour (6) 6 time Pro Bowler, 4 time All Pro

Daniel Graham (21) 224 career rec 25 career TD's

Ty Warren (13) 2007 All Pro, started 88 games for that Pats when their D was good, probably a tad underrated, may be done because of injuries

Vince Wilfork (21) 4 Pro Bowls, 4 time second team all pro, 8 year total beast

Benjamin Watson (32) 272 career rec, 25 career TDs, blasted the f*ck out of Champ Bailey

Logan Mankins (21) 4 Pro Bowls , 3 time All Pro, 104 career starts, Elite level nut puncher

Laurence Maroney (21) Bust, but even he had the 10th most All Purpose yards in the NFL in 2006, tap dancing prodigy

Brandon Meriweather (24) 2 Pro Bowls, 44 carer starts, 12 career INT, probably a tad overrated, but still in the league

Jerod Mayo (10) 2008 NFL Defensive ROY, 1 Pro Bowl, 1 AllPro, led NFL in Tackles 2010, possibly wont reach potential due to injuries

Devin McCourty (27) 1 Pro Bowl, 1 All Pro, slipped a bit in 2nd year, may be better served moving to S

Nate Solder (17) NFL All Rookie Team, 13 starts as a rookie, very very tall

*No first-round draft pick in 2009