Sign in to follow this  
Cloaca du jour

We should start a geek club book club

What does a book club do? Do we read a certain number of chapters and then discuss together? Is everyone reading at their own speed and just talking about whatever? How is this gonna work?

Each person posts a word from the book, in order, such that the book is recreated in serial posts. That keeps everybody on the same page, so to speak.

I'll start and choose the book. It's one to which we all can relate, and there is a movie version: Nabokov's Lolita.

Lolita,

Just quote this post in your reply.

Suggestions from the NY Times Best Sellers List:

Fiction

#2 The Black Book by James Patterson and David Ellis. 4 weeks on the list. After a raid on a brothel that serviced Chicago's elite, the madam's black book has disappeared.

#6 Norse Mythology By Neil Gaiman, 11 weeks on the list. A retelling of Norse folklore.

#10 A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles, 23 weeks on the list. A Russian count undergoes 30 years of house arrest.

That Grisham novel sounds interesting (according to Amazon), I'd read it.

I started this a couple of days ago. No opinion yet.

Each person posts a word from the book, in order, such that the book is recreated in serial posts. That keeps everybody on the same page, so to speak.

I'll start and choose the book. It's one to which we all can relate, and there is a movie version: Nabokov's Lolita.

Lolita,

Just quote this post in your reply.

Sounds easy enough. I guess I'm in.

I just ordered off Amazon. It will be here Wednesday.

Say "geek club book club" three times fast. :dunno:

I dunno i know i enjoy discussing books with people and i enjoy reading

We could have a poll and decide on a book and then we could figure out a reading schedule... i can look up book club ideas.

I suggested American gods because the concept of creating new gods based on technology is an interesting concept

http://www.litlovers.com/run-a-book-club

Good to Great

It's a burden being wonderfull like you :banana:

I started this a couple of days ago. No opinion yet.

Nice. Got about 50 pages left. Solid book.

I dunno i know i enjoy discussing books with people and i enjoy reading

We could have a poll and decide on a book and then we could figure out a reading schedule... i can look up book club ideas.

I suggested American gods because the concept of creating new gods based on technology is an interesting concept

http://www.litlovers.com/run-a-book-club

Yea i love reading too. Didn't use to like it when I was younger. Once I joined the military and had to pull 12 hour duty or stay up all night taking care of patients I ended up becoming a reader. However, the books I like to read are all fiction.

I think the first thing we should decided is who wants to be in the club, then we should agree on a book.

Perhaps a new thread signing in/up members?

If I join I'm name dropping this all the time.

I was actually just discussing this with my book club...

So true, so true. A member of my book club recently made a similar observation...

That will be six dollars and seventy three cents and I read books, I'm in a book club. Just cause I work here, ya know, I can read and I'm in a club,... that reads. It's a book club. That's what we do. ...Would you like a bag?

• Like 1

I think the first thing we should decided is who wants to be in the club, then we should agree on a book.

Say what? I started reading American Gods last night. :mad:

If I join I'm name dropping this all the time.

I was actually just discussing this with my book club...

So true, so true. A member of my book club recently made a similar observation...

That will be six dollars and seventy three cents and I read books, I'm in a book club. Just cause I work here, ya know, I can read and I'm in a club,... that reads. It's a book club. That's what we do. ...Would you like a bag?

I expect panties will also be dropping when your clients get wind of this.

The part where the girl had sex with all the boys to bring them together was weird.

Spoiler Alert !!!! We didn't even start this yet and you focked it up already. What a Toolbag.

And I only said "It" because of the upcoming movie. A good book for discussion would be The Stand !

Ok, so we're going with the Quran right?

Spoiler alert: All the queers and non-Muslims are brutaly killed. And no boob shots.

Fock you asshats! I'm reading American Gods and I'm going to ruin it for everyone! :mad:

does this involve reading?

does this involve reading?

It will consist mainly of us...clubbing YOU...with books.

Are we going to do book series as well? Or is it going to be restricted to books that aren't in a series?

Spoiler Alert !!!! We didn't even start this yet and you focked it up already. What a Toolbag.

And I only said "It" because of the upcoming movie. A good book for discussion would be The Stand !

Sorry but I had to spoil that one part. 11 year old sex orgy is kinda weird. The boys essentially ran a train on her. They decided to keep that part out of the movie.

Gimme some nominations for books you would like to read or other book you think the club would enjoy.

I need a list of who is in also. We can put up a poll and arrange for copies

If Shotsy's gonna join maybe we could start with The Big Book of AA?

The books would need to be on audio tape since he wouldn't be able to read it

Don't get me started with The Stand.

I've made shitloads of comments here anbout Tom Cullen and "M.O.O.N" yet nobody got it.

Fock you all.

It will consist mainly of us...clubbing YOU...with books.

:doublethumbsup:

Don't get me started with The Stand.

I've made shitloads of comments here anbout Tom Cullen and "M.O.O.N" yet nobody got it.

Don't remember one. :dunno: Anyway, I have read the Stand (King's uncut version) 3-4 times. Very few here are going to read a 700-1100 page book.

Just pick something off the NYTimes list and I am in.

I'm in. But pick something I can get at the library or pick up cheap in paperback.

I'm cheap like that.

If Shotsy's gonna join maybe we could start with The Big Book of AA?

I wouldn't join that cult to save my life.

I wouldn't join that cult to save my life.

Interesting, cuz saving lives is one of their primary objectives.

Interesting, cuz saving lives is one of their primary objectives.

Cult

Cult

I can see your point in a way. The program has helped a lot of people though. If believing in something higher than yourself and casting all your cares on that helps you though, saves your life potentially, cult or not, I think it's a good thing. Beats the alternative.

Breakfast at Tiffany's?

1. This is on TBS right now.

2. This thread was already on page 2. :lol: