Sign in to follow this  
nobody

God may exist but that doesn't mean He cares

There are only two scenarios (if you believe the big bang created the universe)

1. Either the universe drifts apart until eventually everything burns our and it is a cold desolate place.

2. Every goes to one point again and another big bang happens

The second makes more sense to me. This probably isn't even the 1st time I've made this post. It's probably the 1138579321st time.

I also corrected you the last time, there are 3 possible scenarios according to physicists, not 2.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/how-will-the-universe-end-2015-2

Heres the logic I dont get.

There has to be a creator, because things dont just occur spontaneously.

Ok. Then where did the creator come from? Either it always was (always being a bit of a philosophical problem) or it spontaneously occurred.

Ok. Then where did the creator come from? Either it always was (always being a bit of a philosophical problem) or it spontaneously occurred.

Then what created the creators creator? How bout the creators creators creator? It’s infinite both directions. Our puny minds couldn’t possibly fathom it.

There are only two scenarios (if you believe the big bang created the universe)

1. Either the universe drifts apart until eventually everything burns our and it is a cold desolate place.

2. Every goes to one point again and another big bang happens

The second makes more sense to me. This probably isn't even the 1st time I've made this post. It's probably the 1138579321st time.

I think it's point number 2. How did matter come to exist thought. Or how did electrons and protons come to exist?

I'm going with my 'there is no end of the universe'. Fly off Earth in any direction and you eventually end up back at earth on the other side of the planet. Came up with that myself years ago as the most logical scenario. Just read an article on that theory at space.com.

I can accept that

I typically only think about this stuff when I am drunk.

When I was in elementary school, it took a while for me to come to terms with the fact that there is no end to numbers. I think the universe is similar, but I dont think I will ever come to terms with it.

Yeah it's not except when you imagine you are traveling along the outside of a sphere as you travel through space away from the planet. The outside of the sphere is the universe but you don't travel off of it. So you end up back at the same spot.

If Im on the outside of the sphere, looking in, whats behind me?

If Im on the inside of the sphere looking out, what will I see?

He cares, just not about you. :dunno:

Many are called but few are chosen.

My phone calls never got answered, not once, making me wonder if it was possible to ever get through to God.

At least Comcast has an automated voice answer the phone and puts me on an eternal loop telling me my call will be taken in the order it was received before not answering or doing anything for me. So i don't doubt Comcast's existence.

In both cases, I was confident I had been coughing up enough money to get some semblance of the service I was promised. I've given up on Comcast permanently but I may try God again. I won't be expecting any of the prayer stuff to be answered, it's still not going to happen, I won't bother with it, I'm just interested in finding a place to hide out from the liberals.

Can we have free will if God is omniscient?

What is free will?

People don't will themselves into existence. They don't choose their personalities. They don't choose their biochemistry. They don't choose their circumstances.

We make constructive and destructive choices, some more constructive, some more destructive, driven by all of those factors and/or the particular interacting of them at any given moment.

But if the choices we make are 100% fueled by factors of our existence that range from infinitesimal to significant, choosing =/= free. We are going to make a certain choice because x,y,z.

"He should have made the better choice."

Why didn't he?

"His mind thought ______. "

Why did his mind think ______?

Keep asking the why, all the way to the end, and you just run into factors of his existence that he didn't author. Even if he's just an ######, he didn't stand back before his existence, and choose the ###### disposition.

I don't want to sound like I'm abdicating people of personal responsibility, but I can't think of any choice I've ever made and see that it was fueled by a factor of my existence which had its inception originally from my own will. I believe I'm accountable for it, because it was wrought out of my nature, but I don't have the ability to transcend my nature.

When does Game of Thrones start up again?

Hard to say for sure. I mean I know religion is bullsh!t. George Carlin is 100% correct about it.

…..Love that skit btw, going to start watching some carlin its been awhile, thanks for that...…

But its hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that there was nothing then there was something. The big bang theory. Think about it for a second, there was nothing at all at some point. Then there was stars and space an sh!t? Really? You want me to believe that nothing at all existed and a "big bang" created something and started the whole ball rolling? Yeah the bible is trash but the big bang isn't much better. It's a stretch at best

I don't know, seems to me something had to create it.

I think the automatic linkage of intelligent design to faith is perhaps just one option available to "justify" or explain that theory. I do not know that any intelligence that may have designed life was interested in worship or faith or morality, I think those aspects are constructs of man to explain the natural world in terms that are palatable.

I think the automatic linkage of intelligent design to faith is perhaps just one option available to "justify" or explain that theory. I do not know that any intelligence that may have designed life was interested in worship or faith or morality, I think those aspects are constructs of man to explain the natural world in terms that are palatable.

Bingo. Has always been that way too. People would see the wind blow and say the wind gods were stirring. Tree catches fire, the fire god was angry etc. it frightens people to accept that we are just organisms and life is mostly meaningless in the grand scheme. They paint this picture of their Aunt Myrtle having her own little room in heaven with Jesus laying out the red carpet just for her. It’s really silly to me. We are just highly evolved animals. In a thousand years we may even look primitive.

Bingo. Has always been that way too. People would see the wind blow and say the wind gods were stirring. Tree catches fire, the fire god was angry etc. it frightens people to accept that we are just organisms and life is mostly meaningless in the grand scheme. They paint this picture of their Aunt Myrtle having her own little room in heaven with Jesus laying out the red carpet just for her. Its really silly to me. We are just highly evolved animals. In a thousand years we may even look primitive.

That and the fact that clever fellows pretty quickly figured out that there was lots of money to be made, power to be wielded, things to be focked, and work to be avoided, by acting as interpreter of the supposed divine will.

That cancer still runs strong. Congressmen and clergy. Two respected professions that are basically parasitic pondscum.

It wasn't until just a mere matter of years ago that we didn't know what caused cancer cells to form. Yet we knew that cancer existed. And we knew that cancer cells did indeed form. And we didn't believe for a minute that they formed their own volition.

And of course, now we know that cancer forms because DonS likes the taste of puzzy.

:mad: :thumbsup:

The Journal of Social Psychological and Personality Science (SPPS) released a study last month demonstrating that religious people live longer. The study observed that “self-reported religious service attendance has been linked with longevity,” and confirmed this by examining obituaries from 43 U.S. cities. Researchers found that religiously affiliated people lived between 5.64 and 9.45 years longer than those who were not religiously affiliated.

The findings from SPPS are consistent with many other studies. A JAMA Internal Medicine study found that “women who went to any kind of religious service more than once a week had a 33 percent lower chance “than their secular peers of dying” during the 16 years following the research. Another JAMA study reported that women who attended religious services at least once a week were “associated with an approximately 5-fold lower rate of suicide” than those who never attend a service. A PLOS One study reported that people who attend religious services regularly experience less stress and were “55 percent less likely to die” over the next 18 years than those who did not attend.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018/07/08/want-to-know-one-surefire-way-to-live-longer-its-not-what-think.html

The Journal of Social Psychological and Personality Science (SPPS) released a study last month demonstrating that religious people live longer. The study observed that self-reported religious service attendance has been linked with longevity, and confirmed this by examining obituaries from 43 U.S. cities. Researchers found that religiously affiliated people lived between 5.64 and 9.45 years longer than those who were not religiously affiliated.

The findings from SPPS are consistent with many other studies. A JAMA Internal Medicine study found that women who went to any kind of religious service more than once a week had a 33 percent lower chance than their secular peers of dying during the 16 years following the research. Another JAMA study reported that women who attended religious services at least once a week were associated with an approximately 5-fold lower rate of suicide than those who never attend a service. A PLOS One study reported that people who attend religious services regularly experience less stress and were 55 percent less likely to die over the next 18 years than those who did not attend.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018/07/08/want-to-know-one-surefire-way-to-live-longer-its-not-what-think.html

Interesting.

Makes sense. Religion is very useful for making people feel content.

Makes sense. Religion is very useful for making people feel content.

Its skewed though. Are they living longer because they are religious? Or are they living longer because they ARENT doing a bunch of other stuff that religious people tend not to do?

Well it's probably just because God wants them to live longer.

Although affliction cometh not forth of the dust, neither doth trouble spring out of the ground;

Yet man is born unto trouble, as the sparks fly upward.

Although affliction cometh not forth of the dust, neither doth trouble spring out of the ground;

Yet man is born unto trouble, as the sparks fly upward.

Travis Tritt did a whole song about that.