Sign in to follow this  
Frozenbeernuts

Flank steak

Definitely fajitas

But don't over cook it. :thumbsup:

fajitas

This. Season with fajita seasoning, get some corn tortillas (not flour), grill the tortillas on each side, Little onions, little cilantro, salsa rojo or salsa verde and enjoy

The thing with flank steak now is that I find it overpriced. It is generally more expensive than top sirloin. While I like it and it is my oldest son's favorite, I look at the price when buying and I don't get it as often anymore.

• Like 1

The thing with flank steak now is that I find it overpriced. It is generally more expensive than top sirloin. While I like it and it is my oldest son's favorite, I look at the price when buying and I don't get it as often anymore.

Yeah...used to be awesome as a cheaper cut. Then got popular and now its more expensive than other cuts I like as good of not better.

Wow really? I remember back in the day they werent an expensive cut of meat. They go up in price now?

Word.the secrets out.flank steak used to be a cheap cut..now that's dead

I prefer outside skirt for fajitas... But for sure flank will work.

I'd marinate with a base of soy and orange juice.... Or even better, cook and serve with a Chimichurri sauce.

I prefer outside skirt for fajitas... But for sure flank will work.

I'd marinate with a base of soy and orange juice.... Or even better, cook and serve with a Chimichurri sauce.

My flank man :cheers:

Boys, the flank is best low price per pound cut on the cow. Next in line is the chuck steak.

Flank is $7.99 per lb in my neck of the woods.

Cruzer has the right idea, flank is great for Asian style steak skewers. The keys being marinate to flavor and tenderize and make sure you cut ACROSS the grain to create skewer sized pieces.

Good less expensive steak? Tri tip. Sometimes called sirloin tip steak - not to be confused with sirloin tips aka flap meat.

when i use a dry rub, i will cook it in a cast iron skillet. when marinated, on the grill.

the soy, orange juice, brown sugar base is pretty common. can add gr. onion, cilantro, sriracha, sesame oil, etc

i like a chipotle, orange, molasses marinade

tequila, lime, garlic

thyme, rosemary, oil, balsamic

• Like 2

Tri tip. Sometimes called sirloin tip steak - not to be confused with sirloin tips aka flap meat.

Outside of Chuck Eye steaks, Tri Tip is the next best kept cow secret.. Damn those are good. :thumbsup:

Thank you to all who contributed. I made steak and added shrimp fajitas. I used Old Bay for the shrimp with a little Mexican seasoning.

Thanks to bier for rub suggestion

Thanks to the various posters who put their marinade ideas on here

Thank to dgb for suggesting the fajita seasoning. I used "Mexican seasoning". It turned out killer

• Like 1

Cooking on a hot plate at the motel 6. Sad.

Nope. Have an apartment and cooked on a stove. Your idiocy and sensitivity is getting really old. And sad.

Nope. Have an apartment and cooked on a stove. Your idiocy and sensitivity is getting really old. And sad.

Insensitivity. Cooking on a stove in a crappy apt. Sad.

Thank you to all who contributed. I made steak and added shrimp fajitas. I used Old Bay for the shrimp with a little Mexican seasoning.

Thank to dgb for suggesting the fajita seasoning. I used "Mexican seasoning". It turned out killer

WTF is Mexican seasonin?

Theres a seasoning you can order on amazon that I used to buy in SA. Its a brand called Bolners Fiesta seasonings. Get the fajita seasoning. Bolners is a meat market in SA which had some AMAZING cuts of meat there and they also had seasonings. This seasoning is one of the best Ive found. Heres a link to the big container I usually buy off amazon

Bolner's Fiesta Extra Fancy Fajita Seasoning, 30-Ounce Plastic Canister https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000EWQIA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_2VnGAbVYVV2BJ

Just tell me what's in it.

Probably paprika, chili powder, salt, onion powder, and other common spices.

If you really care I will look at it later. But it's actually called Mexican seasoning

Probably paprika, chili powder, salt, onion powder, and other common spices.

Thanks FBN

Skibum, you are making my point. I wanted to know if "Mexican seasoning" was a flavor or an actual seasoning. It's both.

if you do a dry rub/seasoning..... dry meat. rub with oil. coat with rub. sear in cast iron skillet.

if you do a dry rub/seasoning..... dry meat. rub with oil. coat with rub. sear in cast iron skillet.

ALWAYS dry your proteins. Thats something most people dont realize they need to do

Insensitivity. Cooking on a stove in a crappy apt. Sad.

That's what happens when someone travels. They get an apartment, a hotel room, or share a house. I got this appt with utilities included for a good deal and get privacy.... can't afford a 5 star hotel on my per diem. But I thought that should be pretty obvious without the need for explanation

ALWAYS dry your proteins. Thats something most people dont realize they need to do

I didn't and it turned out really well. Why the need?

It has a lot to do with the sear and how the outside cooks.

It has a lot to do with the sear and how the outside cooks.

if it is still wet, the moisture will cook out into the pan (not juices) and it will cook more like a braise or stew (prevent a harder sear/carmelization... better crust)