Sign in to follow this  
Price of ground beef hits record in February: $4.238 per pound...

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/ali-meyer/price-ground-beef-hits-record-february-4238-pound

(CNSNews.com) - The average price of a pound of ground beef climbed to another record high in February, hitting $4.238 per pound, according to data released today by the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).

In August 2014, the average price for a pound of all types of ground beef topped $4 for the first time, hitting $4.013, according to the BLS.

In September, the average price jumped to $4.096 per pound; in October, the average price climbed to $4.154 per pound; and in November, the average price climbed to $4.201 per pound.

In December, the price declined slightly to $4.156 per pound. In January 2015, ground beef hit $4.235 per pound and in February 2015, according to the latest data from the BLS, the price of ground beef hit the highest level ever recorded of $4.238.

A year ago, in February 2014, the average price for a pound of ground beef was $3.555 per pound. Since then, the average price has increased 19.2 percent in one year.

Five years ago, in February 2010, the average price of a pound of ground beef was $2.277, according to the BLS. The price has since climbed by $1.961 per pound, or an increase of 86.1 percent.

The overall Consumer Price Index measures the relative change in the prices of a basket of goods and services relative to a basis of 100. Subordinate indexes measure the relative change in price for individual goods or services or categories of goods and services.

While the price of ground beef increased over the month, the overall Consumer Price Index (CPI) increased as well. The Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers (CPI-U) increased 0.2 percent in February on a seasonally adjusted basis, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today. Over the last 12 months, the all items index was unchanged before seasonal adjustment.

The food index increased 0.2 percent in February, said the BLS. Also turning up in February was the index for meats, poultry, fish, and eggs, which rose 0.3 percent after declining slightly the prior month. The index for beef and veal rose 0.7 percent, its thirteenth consecutive increase.

There's other stuff to eat

How is this his fault?

Everything is Obummer's fault. Didn't you get the memo?

Everything is Obummer's fault. Didn't you get the memo?

Let me check my spam folder...

How is this his fault?

He's not releasing anything from the strategic beef reserve. :mad:

is dog meat considered beef

No, its considered dog meat

He's not releasing anything from the strategic beef reserve. :mad:

:D

Wait, is that a real thing?

:D

You just made this lady's day.

Classic. Let's celebrate those hands outs! What about the other one who won't have to pay he mortgage?

Is there a cow shortage or something?

There kinda is. Prices were pretty soft for a long time with the crappy economy. That combined with persistent drought conditions and some other factors forced a lot of ranchers to pare down their herds. Now with the economy showing signs of life, demand has started to pick up but the supply isn't there.

One thing that might help is if we get rid of the stupid corn ethanol mandate once and for all.

Is there a cow shortage or something?

Everything is more expensive. Milk, eggs, tomatoes, cookies, self tanning lotion. You haven't noticed?

Ground Turkey is a great substitute. I don't know the prices of that though. :dunno:

This is how you get the people to become Vegan. It is government rules and regulations that is responsible for much of this price increase. This wil continue until most people can't afford to eat meat every day.

This is how you get the people to become Vegan. It is government rules and regulations that is responsible for much of this price increase. This wil continue until most people can't afford to eat meat every day.

:overhead:

How does it feel to go through life being paranoid and scared that 'the feds are out to get me'? I just love conspiracy theorists. Definitely one of the top most-retarded groups in the country.

Ground Turkey is a great substitute. I don't know the prices of that though. :dunno:

Ground turkey & turkey bacon will keep you alive - but it's not beef nor real bacon, and it doesn't taste remotely good. Anyone who says it does is lying to themselves. :nono:

Anybody that hasn't been in a grocery store lately would be in for a sticker shock. Many items have doubled and tripled in price in very little time. Most notably, whether frozen or fresh, proteins and vegetables. Doesn't matter what type of diet you are on, you're focked in the wallet.

MDC has become the biggest political hack on the board. He still holds the title of least knowledgeable. Is there a Triple Crown for this sort of thing? :dunno:

Somebody is a little butthurt from getting clowned in that other thread. :lol:

I think economists are fairly certain there is a lot more inflation going on than is reported because the price of oil has camoflaged it

But.. But.. But....the economy is so good. :rolleyes:

Everything is more expensive. Milk, eggs, tomatoes, cookies, self tanning lotion. You haven't noticed?

No sh!t people. Food has been uber expensive for the last 5 years...maybe longer. Gas only recently went down but that was short lived. But hey, as long as you believe Obama is your savior, it's gotta be true. :doh:

No sh!t people. Food has been uber expensive for the last 5 years...maybe longer. Gas only recently went down but that was short lived. But hey, as long as you believe Obama is your savior, it's gotta be true. :doh:

But that can't be right, the fed is always talking about how well they have controlled inflation....

But.. But.. But....the economy is so good. :rolleyes:

How can the economy be good when hamburgers cost so much? :mad:

I understand why items like milk and beef are sometimes expensive. But I've never understood why cereal and potato chips costs so focking much. :dunno:

I understand why items like milk and beef are sometimes expensive. But I've never understood why cereal and potato chips costs so focking much. :dunno:

I assumed the cost of fuel is why all food has gone up. :dunno:

Just like Phillybear said, I was in shock when I went to the grocery store for the first time in a few years last summer (wifey does all the shopping except for my alcohol). Went in to get some things for a BBQ and walked out floored at some of the costs. Milk, ham, ice cream, bread, cereal, hamburger meat, and much has doubled. in the past five years. I paid seven bucks for a jar of sh!tty olives. Unreal.

Gas prices are still more than a dollar off what they were 9 months ago. :doh:

Damn straight. I don't want anyone but the guy who's making the money from selling meat inspecting and making sure it's safe. Liberal nonsense all this "make sure my foods safe" pablum. It makes me mad as a cow.

Good thing for McDonald's they don't use meat