Sign in to follow this  
snatchit

Sony Michel

FWIW I don't think sony was drafted to do or be much this year. he's a good talent, but BB is planning for the future.

A future without Gronk and TB. BB changed the course of league norms MURDERED with Gronk and Hernandez. That model is played out, so he'll get back to some clock control field position tendencies when that dynasty has run its course. only then will Sony be featured.

This year James White is the back to own imo. going forward sony will be. Stash him now w low expectations and reap rewards in a year or two.

For the record I see Barkley, Royce and maybe Kerryon ahead of Sony this year. Next year Barkley, Chubb, Penny, Sony and Royce will all vie for top ten rb status.

FIXORED!!!

Pretty much. He can sit on my bench until he breaks out and gets his chance. Can’t beat the value.

Even if he has a monster breakout game and becomes lead back and bellcow, timing is everything for redraft leagues.

If that breakout game occurs in week 11 then I would argue it's not worth the stash. Not to mention you're gambling on a breakout that may never come.

Even if he has a monster breakout game and becomes lead back and bellcow, timing is everything for redraft leagues.

If that breakout game occurs in week 11 then I would argue it's not worth the stash. Not to mention you're gambling on a breakout that may never come.

He was a first round draft pick. He will get his chance sooner than later.

He was a first round draft pick. He will get his chance sooner than later.

It’s not a gamble where I took him. That’s the point.

That doesnt answer my question but to each his own as I said I respectfully disagree. The key part of my question was on a team that barely runs the ball...

FWIW Im a lot higher on Rashaad Penny than I am Sony Michel, another 1st round pick.

That doesnt answer my question but to each his own as I said I respectfully disagree. The key part of my question was on a team that barely runs the ball...

FWIW Im a lot higher on Rashaad Penny than I am Sony Michel, another 1st round pick.

Barely runs the ball? There were 9 teams last year that passed the ball more than 60% of the time. NE was not one of them although they were #10 in the list at 59.78%. Guess where Seattle was, #13 at 59.38%.

Go figure.

NE rushed 27.2 times per game last year, which ranked 15th. Just over 3 attempts less than Buffalo, who ranked 2nd in attempts. (Jax was far and away the leader in rushing attempts with 33+). I wouldnt say NE barely runs the ball, and the fact that you say this tells us you dont do your homework.

Sony is the most talented RB on NEs roster, and is definitely worth a late round flyer. To the poster that said he is a plodder, and Chubb is better, I think you got it backwards. Sony was electric with the ball at Georgia. He has better hands, size, speed and cutting ability than Chubb, no doubt. I know for a fact that Alabama fans were thankful every time Chubb was on the field in the championship game. That meant Sony wasnt!

Barely runs the ball? There were 9 teams last year that passed the ball more than 60% of the time. NE was not one of them although they were #10 in the list at 59.78%. Guess where Seattle was, #13 at 59.38%.

Go figure.

Damn phone messing me up. I tried to quote this to disagree.

NE rushed 27.2 times per game last year, which ranked 15th. Just over 3 attempts less than Buffalo, who ranked 2nd in attempts. (Jax was far and away the leader in rushing attempts with 33+). I wouldnt say NE barely runs the ball, and the fact that you say this tells us you dont do your homework.

Sony is the most talented RB on NEs roster, and is definitely worth a late round flyer. To the poster that said he is a plodder, and Chubb is better, I think you got it backwards. Sony was electric with the ball at Georgia. He has better hands, size, speed and cutting ability than Chubb, no doubt. I know for a fact that Alabama fans were thankful every time Chubb was on the field in the championship game. That meant Sony wasnt!

Correct. NE runs a lot because they are always ahead in the game. And to think a first rounder won't get a chance is silly. They will be easy on him until his injury heals, then his time will come.

NE ranked top 5 in rushing TDs per game last year.

Including passing TDs to the RBs? Anyway, I guess that matters a lot if you are in a TD only league.

Who was the patriots rushing leader last season and how many carries did he have?

The amount that the patriots run the ball is not the point Im making but rather personnel. Do you really think at some point in the season theyre just going to default all of those RB touches to Michel? I highly doubt Burkhead and White just disappear without injury.

Also what is your basis on Michel having better hands, size, feet, speed, and cutting ability?

Chubb is literally bigger, and he ran a quicker 40 time. Look up Chubbs run vs Florida.

Im giving you examples, youre just giving me an opinion.

Including passing TDs to the RBs? Anyway, I guess that matters a lot if you are in a TD only league.

No. Read the words.

Who was the patriots rushing leader last season and how many carries did he have?

The amount that the patriots run the ball is not the point Im making but rather personnel. Do you really think at some point in the season theyre just going to default all of those RB touches to Michel? I highly doubt Burkhead and White just disappear without injury.

Also what is your basis on Michel having better hands, size, feet, speed, and cutting ability?

Chubb is literally bigger, and he ran a quicker 40 time. Look up Chubbs run vs Florida.

They dumped Bolden and Gillislee. Thats a good start.

Want some stats?

Sony Michele 1227 yards on 156 carries - 165 plays from scrimmage for 1323 total yards

Nick Chubb 1345 yards on 223 carries - 227 plays from scrimmage for 1375 total yards

Sony Michel is more explosive and more talented

No. Read the words.

I was just calling you out is all. I forgot you are sensitive. Good luck in your TD only league.

White is not going to disappear. He is the third down back and situational passing down back. In my opinion (yes, opinion) Sony is much more talented than Burkhead. Does that mean Burkhead will go away? Probably not, but its possible.

The thing is, Sony can step into either of their roles if an injury does occur. He averaged 7.9 yards per carry last year (1.5 better than Chubb) and caught 64 passes (twice as many as Chubb). Sony is a slasher...hes quick...Maybe thats opinion, or just the eye test, but the dude is dangerous with the ball no doubt. I cant see him not getting an opportunity this year.

Last year there wasnt a guy that stood out from the bunch like they had with Blount a couple of years ago. All Im saying is, Michel is worth a late round flyer because of his potential.

I was just calling you out is all. I forgot you are sensitive. Good luck in your TD only league.

Yawn.

Want some stats?

Sony Michele 1227 yards on 156 carries - 165 plays from scrimmage for 1323 total yards

Nick Chubb 1345 yards on 223 carries - 227 plays from scrimmage for 1375 total yards

Sony Michel is more explosive and more talented

I mentioned this to someone else already. Chubb was the early work guy, Michel got the softened defenses that Chubb wore down. Take this info as you please.

I think the main bias is that 1 player was selected by the Patriots and the other by the Browns albeit 4 picks apart. If hes drafted by the patriots he must be great. If the browns picked him he must be a bust or a wasted pick.

I think the main bias is that 1 player was selected by the Patriots and the other by the Browns albeit 4 picks apart. If hes drafted by the patriots he must be great. If the browns picked him he must be a bust or a wasted pick.

Not true at all. I like Hyde 10x more than Chubb. Actually, I wish Michel had gone to a different team..

To play devil's advocate--the Browns are one of those teams that haven't been great at player evaluation in the past. (They haven't been Raiders level of bad, and I'd say they're worse at coach evaluations, but they haven't been great.) The Patriots have been better at player evaluation. So I think, for you and I who aren't meeting these guys and seeing them on the practice field and in the meeting rooms, there's some reason to evaluate them based on which team picked them. It's not just luck that some teams are reliably worse at picking talent than others.

To play devil's advocate--the Browns are one of those teams that haven't been great at player evaluation in the past. (They haven't been Raiders level of bad, and I'd say they're worse at coach evaluations, but they haven't been great.) The Patriots have been better at player evaluation. So I think, for you and I who aren't meeting these guys and seeing them on the practice field and in the meeting rooms, there's some reason to evaluate them based on which team picked them. It's not just luck that some teams are reliably worse at picking talent than others.

In my opinion those biases shouldnt affect how talented you perceived a player coming out of college. It should indeed forecast how the player might be used in the future but I dont think that should affect how I feel about the player in terms of raw talent.

Its as if the patriots have never drafted duds before. Chad Jackson is the first name that comes to mind. Im sure there are others.

Of course I cant argue with the fact the patriots ARE a better than the browns and have been for the last 2 decades. Drafting is a big part of that too. I cant dispute that. Patriots draft better than the Browns, historically.

That shouldnt stamp any future picks as busts before they even hit the field just because they were picked by the browns.

In my opinion those biases shouldnt affect how talented you perceived a player coming out of college. It should indeed forecast how the player might be used in the future but I dont think that should affect how I feel about the player in terms of raw talent.

Its as if the patriots have never drafted duds before. Chad Jackson is the first name that comes to mind. Im sure there are others.

Of course I cant argue with the fact the patriots ARE a better than the browns and have been for the last 2 decades. Drafting is a big part of that too. I cant dispute that. Patriots draft better than the Browns, historically.

That shouldnt stamp any future picks as busts before they even hit the field just because they were picked by the browns.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just tossing the idea around in my head. I mean...I have played FF for a while now. I do my research...some years more than others :) But my research isn't anything close to what the team's scouts and coaches do. I only end up knowing what they tell me 3rd hand. I can watch college games, but I don't pretend that I can use tape to evaluate a player just as good as a professional talent evaluator can.

So that's why I'm thinking that I actually can rely on a team's evaluation to some extent. And if I can, then it makes some sense to say that some teams' evaluations, historically bad, should be taken with more grains of salt. Yeah, the Pats aren't perfect. But they hit more often than the Browns do on talent evals. Take the Al Davis Raiders (in the Skeletor years). If that team told us "This player is the best we've ever seen!", we have every right to be skeptical. And if another much better-at-evaluating team takes a player who that Raiders team passed over--I'm giving that other team some benefit of the doubt.

So that's all. It might just be one factor to consider. Maybe not an important one. And honestly maybe not at all. I've never thought about this before, there may be some counter-factors I'm not considering.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just tossing the idea around in my head. I mean...I have played FF for a while now. I do my research...some years more than others :) But my research isn't anything close to what the team's scouts and coaches do. I only end up knowing what they tell me 3rd hand. I can watch college games, but I don't pretend that I can use tape to evaluate a player just as good as a professional talent evaluator can.

So that's why I'm thinking that I actually can rely on a team's evaluation to some extent. And if I can, then it makes some sense to say that some teams' evaluations, historically bad, should be taken with more grains of salt. Yeah, the Pats aren't perfect. But they hit more often than the Browns do on talent evals. Take the Al Davis Raiders (in the Skeletor years). If that team told us "This player is the best we've ever seen!", we have every right to be skeptical. And if another much better-at-evaluating team takes a player who that Raiders team passed over--I'm giving that other team some benefit of the doubt.

So that's all. It might just be one factor to consider. Maybe not an important one. And honestly maybe not at all. I've never thought about this before, there may be some counter-factors I'm not considering.

This is all true but maybe some teams draft for scheme fit (patriots, few holes on roster) and other teams draft for overall talent (Browns, terrible last 2 years, holes all over roster)

The patriots literally have no need to turn to Sony Michel. Theyre pretty good already.

For the record I see Barkley, Royce and maybe Kerryon ahead of Sony this year. Next year Barkley, Chubb, Penny, Sony and Royce will all vie for top ten rb status.

You don't think Kerryon will continue to build/hold value next year? What about Guice next season?

This is all true but maybe some teams draft for scheme fit (patriots, few holes on roster) and other teams draft for overall talent (Browns, terrible last 2 years, holes all over roster)

The patriots literally have no need to turn to Sony Michel. Theyre pretty good already.

I've enjoyed both yours and brotherbock's contributions to the thread.

I disagree with your last statement. The Patriots literally made Sony Michel their first need to fill. The Patriots went into the draft with a game plan for 2018 to run the ball. They lost RBs Lewis and Gillislee to free agency. That caused a need to turn to Sony who was drafted by someone smarter than all of us with his first choice in the draft.

disclaimer I drafted Sony in both of my main drafts.

You don't think Kerryon will continue to build/hold value next year? What about Guice next season?

Sure I think kerryon will have value next year. guice too - just not as much as the guys I mentioned.

I've enjoyed both yours and brotherbock's contributions to the thread.

I disagree with your last statement. The Patriots literally made Sony Michel their first need to fill. The Patriots went into the draft with a game plan for 2018 to run the ball. They lost RBs Lewis and Gillislee to free agency. That caused a need to turn to Sony who was drafted by someone smarter than all of us with his first choice in the draft.

disclaimer I drafted Sony in both of my main drafts.

Youre right they literally made Sony Michel their first need to fill but relative to other teams is it a truly pressing need? And to automatically suggest they will run the ball more because they drafted a RB seems like a bit of an assumption.

Bill belicheck is a lot smarter than I am lol

Youre right they literally made Sony Michel their first need to fill but relative to other teams is it a truly pressing need? And to automatically suggest they will run the ball more because they drafted a RB seems like a bit of an assumption.

Bill belicheck is a lot smarter than I am lol

Some people on this site just dont get it. Of course they want to run the ball more, the more they run the longer their aging QB will last. Plus Bill has been watching these other teams have great success with these blue chip rookie RB's. RB was for sure a pressing need for them. They didn't have a 3 down ( explosive ) back on the roster. Its gonna take a few weeks, but I think there will be a shift.... and Sony will be a true bellcow for them.

Some people on this site just dont get it. Of course they want to run the ball more, the more they run the longer their aging QB will last. Plus Bill has been watching these other teams have great success with these blue chip rookie RB's. RB was for sure a pressing need for them. They didn't have a 3 down ( explosive ) back on the roster. Its gonna take a few weeks, but I think there will be a shift.... and Sony will be a true bellcow for them.

This is my opinion as well. Sony really only has to beat out Burkhead to have value. I have very little doubt that Sony, when healthy, is the more talented of the two. His biggest obstacle right now might be Hill. If Hill runs well over the first couple of weeks then Sonys breakout could be delayed.

This is my opinion as well. Sony really only has to beat out Burkhead to have value. I have very little doubt that Sony, when healthy, is the more talented of the two. His biggest obstacle right now might be Hill. If Hill runs well over the first couple of weeks then Sonys breakout could be delayed.

Well, there is also Belichek. The way he uses backs, you will NEVER know if Sony becomes the guy.

Looks like one of their "big backs", Jeremy Hill, was knocked outta the game with a nasty looking lower leg injury. Looked like it coulda been a break....but just speculating.