Sign in to follow this  
School tells sixth graders they can’t say no when asked to dance...

http://fox13now.com/2018/02/08/utah-mom-upset-after-school-tells-6th-graders-they-cant-say-no-when-asked-to-dance/

WEST HAVEN, Utah -- When Natalie Richards sixth-grade daughter told her she couldnt say no if a boy asked her to dance at Kanesville Elementarys Valentines Day dance, she didnt believe it at first.

Oh no, no honey," Richard said of her reply. "You guys are misunderstanding again. Thats not how it is."

However, after speaking to her daughters teacher, she realized the statement was accurate.

The teacher said she cant. She has to say yes. She has to accept and I said, 'Excuse me, Richard tells Fox 13.

Richard took her concerns to the school principal.

He basically just said theyve had this dance set up this way for a long time and theyve never had any concern before, she said of his response.

Lane Findlay with the Weber School District confirms its a rule, but he said its meant to teach students how to be inclusive.

Please be respectful, be polite," Findlay said. "We want to promote kindness, and so we want you to say yes when someone asks you to dance."

I do see it from their perspective when it comes to that, but there are many other ways to teach children how to be accepting than with a social dance, Richard counters.

Richard says forcing students not to say no teaches them the wrong lesson.

Sends a bad message to girls that girls have to say 'yes'; sends a bad message to boys that girls cant say 'no,'" Richard said.

Prior to the dance, which is voluntary, students are told to fill out a card by selecting five people they want to dance with. The administration says if theres someone on the card you feel uncomfortable with, the student is encouraged to speak up.

If there is an issue, if theres students that are uncomfortable or have a problem with another student, I mean: thats certainly something that can be addressed with that student and parents, Findlay said.

However, Richard says rejection is part of life and at the end of the day, this policy is sending impressionable children the wrong message.

Psychologically, my daughter keeps coming to me and saying I cant say 'no' to a boy," she said. "Thats the message kids are getting."

One of the concerns that Richard addressed with the principal at Kanesville Elementary is that parents werent aware of this policy. She recommended he send out a permission slip, detailing the instructions given to students, and he agreed. As of now, the rule remains in place.

Is this at the Harvey Weinstein School of the Arts?

Gotta teach them they don't control what happens with their body nice and early! :mad:

Yeah, how will these girls learn to be exclusionary biatches in HS, if they don't start in 6th grade.

The 40 year old virgin

Soon youll have pregnant 13 year olds who never learned how to say no to boys.

Too late. My mom had that already when she used to teach 4th and 5th grade

Too late. My mom had that already when she used to teach 4th and 5th grade

13 year old 4th and 5th graders? Where did she teach, Baltimore or Detroit? Oh wait, South Carolina. Checks out.

13 year old 4th and 5th graders? Where did she teach, Baltimore or Detroit? Oh wait, South Carolina. Checks out.

Nope. North Caroline. At those majority black schools. Those little black kids were humping like rabbits at that age

Yeah! A Geek friend um... pmed me.. and... uh.... asked if I could ask. Something like that

Totally plausible. :cheers:

I wonder what wouod happen if a girl asks another girl to dance, or a boy asks a boy. Or a student asks a teacher.

Sorry can't say no.

I wonder what wouod happen if a girl asks another girl to dance, or a boy asks a boy. Or a student asks a teacher.

Sorry can't say no.

Thats probably the whole point. And to think parents accept this BS.