Sign in to follow this  
kilroy69

Strategic adding of players you don't need.

I'm sitting home today news of Stanton and Taylor not starting. So I grabbed em both. I don't need them but the guy I'm playing this week needed a QB and the guy I play next week...had Stanton and Taylor as his qb.

Anyone else make moves at this point just to fock other teams ?

Mmmm no.

Seems like a very childish ideal too me.

I'm assuming you grabbed Peterman and Gabbert and not Stanton and Taylor?

Assuming the former, I don't see anything wrong with it. "Blocking" is a viable strategy and you're not violating any rules of the league.

Yep....grabbed Cincy D this week as my opponent had Carolina on bye. He had to settle for Buffalo...so thats a win.

May pick up Rogers even though i have Brady..just to jam up another contender.

I'm assuming you grabbed Peterman and Gabbert and not Stanton and Taylor?

Assuming the former, I don't see anything wrong with it. "Blocking" is a viable strategy and you're not violating any rules of the league.

yep. Picked them both up.

Nothing wrong with churning the bottom of your roster and you don't need a reason.

Sure, but they never work as intended. You will see next week when he plays Eli or Flacco and end up with 30 points.

This.

I've used the blocking maneuver in the past and more times than not it bit me in the ass. Now I just let the cards fall where they will.

I'm sitting home today news of Stanton and Taylor not starting. So I grabbed em both. I don't need them but the guy I'm playing this week needed a QB and the guy I play next week...had Stanton and Taylor as his qb.

Not sure its worth it, unless those 2 were the last 2 starting QBs available.

Last week my buddy blocked his bro from getting Goff as a bye week fill. His bro ended up starting McCown. It worked, but he would have won either way.

This usually backfires. Guy in one of my leagues was unstoppable with Watson as his QB and a good team overall. Watson goes down and the guy he was playing tried to be smart and picked up Tom Savage. Watson owner picks up Jared Goff...rest is, as we say, history.

Not sure its worth it, unless those 2 were the last 2 starting QBs available.

Last week my buddy blocked his bro from getting Goff as a bye week fill. His bro ended up starting McCown. It worked, but he would have won either way.

they were LITERALLY the last 2 available. It's a super flex where people load up on QBs. Which this guy did. Aaron rogers. Carson parlmer. Tyrod Taylor. Drew Stanton. He also drafted David Johnson first overall. It's not that I shouldn't win. I should but why leave it to chance if you can work within the league rules to fock a team your gonna play? Bad QBs usually score 15 points in this league. With the potential for more. I just erased 30 points from a team that can't get them back. Past the trade deadline and NO qbs on the wire. None. Like none. Not a single starter. And some backups.

isnt that why you save your waiver slot to make a move that matters?

again. All leagues are different but in this one there is nothing on the waivers. It's bare. Pryor,decker and Josh Gordon ate the top unowned players on my wire. Wanna burn a pick on them or burn a team or in this case. Multiple teams.

again. All leagues are different but in this one there is nothing on the waivers. It's bare. Pryor,decker and Josh Gordon ate the top unowned players on my wire. Wanna burn a pick on them or burn a team or in this case. Multiple teams.

True. Like the guy i traded Tyrod too last week....now he doesnt have Tyrod...so he’s starting Fitzpatrick. He’s 7-3.....do i really want to watch him pick up Aaron Rodgers for the playoffs? Probably not...that might be worth a spare roster player like a Derrick Henry that i cant possibly play when they playoffs start.

I'm not going to drop a player I might start at some point, but if you have an expendable player and there's a particular guy that would make your opponent 10x better, I'd consider it.

Mmmm no.

Seems like a very childish ideal too me.

Why? It's a very good strategy if executed correctly.

I agree, i call this playing defense strategy. If u have room in ur roster, pick a player that u think he will start that week esp if he got some bye players.

Why? It's a very good strategy if executed correctly.

I like competing.

I'm glad too play in a league that we are limited on the amount of moves we can make.

Takes away from owners doing this type of move.

I'm sure sometimes it works, and if you do it good for you.

It's not for me.

If there is only 1 obvious best move sure, I agree. Go for it.

But usually there are many not so obvious moves, and when that happens, FF owners tens to make bad move rather than good one. So by taking away some of their choices, you make the path easier for them to pick. So yea, sometime we done the bad moves for them.

For example, now that you took away those two QBs, what did he put in his super flex? I am sure he only have maybe 1 or 2 good choices on his bench now without those third rated QBs.

I guess in the end, for me, are you sure you are the better FF player between you and him? Because now you decided to play chess with him too instead of FF alone.

Blocking is a move.

But Ive blocked people.

And people have blocked me.

Theres nothing illegal about it. This can backfire though. You can force a guy to pick someone they wouldnt have and they go off.

Completely fine. I did the same a couple of weeks ago when I heard the news that Fournette was being benched for a game. I was up against his owner that week, so I quickly scooped up Ivory to block him.

I guess not completely in line with the "players you don't need" title of this thread because I ended up plugging him in in the end, but my original intention was to block my buddy from getting him. It's all part of the game!

I did it a couple years ago in our Super Bowl. I had Gronk and picked up Ertz to block my opponent. He ended up having to pick up J. Witten. Just happened that Brady and Gronk put up a stinker against Mia and Ertz blew up on my bench as well as Witten for him. Lost Super Bowl by 2... I'm not bitter, haha!!

I like competing.

I'm glad too play in a league that we are limited on the amount of moves we can make.

It's not for me.

I vote that in your league the rules should be that if one team has a few good RBs and another team has some RB injury problems then the 1st team should give the other team an RB of their choice so that all can compete and have equal rosters and have a joyous time throughout the year.

Of course I do it--I want the players who are scoring the most points on my roster, whether they're on the starting lineup or bench. Players sure aren't scoring points against me if they're on my roster.

I play to win. If I didn't I'd join a tiddlywinks league

Welcome to fantasy football.

I like competing.

It's not for me.

fair enough, everyone play ff for their own reasons. who are we to judge anyone's motives.

ive been in a casual, free league for almost 15 years and have enjoyed every minute of it. we have a very active forum where you would be a valued member.

there is fair amount of turnover so there may be a spot for you, if you are interested. :)

link

If there is only 1 obvious best move sure, I agree. Go for it.

But usually there are many not so obvious moves, and when that happens, FF owners tens to make bad move rather than good one. So by taking away some of their choices, you make the path easier for them to pick. So yea, sometime we done the bad moves for them.

For example, now that you took away those two QBs, what did he put in his super flex? I am sure he only have maybe 1 or 2 good choices on his bench now without those third rated QBs.

I guess in the end, for me, are you sure you are the better FF player between you and him? Because now you decided to play chess with him too instead of FF alone.

he put Kelvin Benjamin in. Who has not topped 13 points in 3 straight and now has a new qb.

I hate it! :nono: I think it kills the integrity of your league. It takes away from the competitive nature and good sportsmanship in all leagues. If everyone did it my feeling is your league would eventually fold up. Also, that is not football. Remember fantasy is just that, not stabbing people in the back. Everybody deserves the right to compete with the best players at their disposal. PLAY THE GAME RIGHT!

Sorry, for venting but that kind of move cost me my 3rd title in a row (Baseball) Some manager out of the playoffs did it to me. I would never do it! I want to beat the best not SCREW someone.

I hate it! :nono: I think it kills the integrity of your league. It takes away from the competitive nature and good sportsmanship in all leagues. If everyone did it my feeling is your league would eventually fold up. Also, that is not football. Remember fantasy is just that, not stabbing people in the back. Everybody deserves the right to compete with the best players at their disposal. PLAY THE GAME RIGHT!

Sorry, for venting but that kind of move cost me my 3rd title in a row (Baseball) Some manager out of the playoffs did it to me. I would never do it! I want to beat the best not SCREW someone.

Ok. So in the NFL, teams should not target injured players during gameplay to gain an advantage against them? Oh dear, that's not nice.

And how is it screwing someone if you outbid them or have priority over them.

Are we are supposed to know what other teams want? If you need this so badly then only allow players to be picked up if they are to be played that week moving forward. Why allow someone to pick up a player if they only need them for one week? What if another team needs them every week.

What a bunch of crap...

This season has shown how quickly you can go from a Stud led roster to scrambling to cobble together.

It is a two step strategy.

1. boost up your depth to counter the unexpected

2.reduce depth of your unknown opponent

Have fun

BTW, it appears I am currently running the antithesis strategy as my bench is comprised of D, O, and IR players.

Well the problem that happened to you was that someone not in the playoffs did it. That's a move, either collusion with someone in the playoffs, or just spite. A lot of leagues lock non-playoff teams for that reason.

But if a guy IN the playoffs did the same thing to you--would you have felt so angry about it?

I want to be the best, and part of being the best is managing your team. If you know you need a QB, go get one. If you sleep on it, someone else may grab them. That's part of the game.

Well the problem that happened to you was that someone not in the playoffs did it. That's a ###### move, either collusion with someone in the playoffs, or just spite. A lot of leagues lock non-playoff teams for that reason.

But if a guy IN the playoffs did the same thing to you--would you have felt so angry about it?

If you lock out non playoff teams DURING the playoffs, that makes sense. I think that's what you are saying?

But if a team has had a rough year and is eliminated bye week 10 let's say, the league needs to have strong incentives built into it's structure to have that team to want to continue to play and participate in WW activities, as if they were in 4th or 3rd place for example.

There is little worse in FF than having 3 or 4 owners quit playing in the final 3-4 weeks of the regular season. There are more than a few simple ways to have this not happen.

Play to win the game.

FF is a lot like chess. Picking up players to block your opponent is a sound defensive strategy akin to limiting the number of moves his pieces can make on the chessboard. Limiting his moves more often than not lead to good things happening for you.

Yes sometimes it could backfire but I'd rather be proactive in this tactic than not. In the past it has worked to perfection.

In fact it's been working the last couple of weeks for me.

Play to win the game.

FF is a lot like chess. Picking up players to block your opponent is a sound defensive strategy akin to limiting the number of moves his pieces can make on the chessboard. Limiting his moves more often than not lead to good things happening for you.

Yes sometimes it could backfire but I'd rather be proactive in this tactic than not. In the past it has worked to perfection.

In fact it's been working the last couple of weeks for me.

In Scrabble I have blown up many double and triple word score opportunities for the other players after me when I was not able to come up with something to use it myself because my letters just were not good on that turn. Then the other players moan because I introduced a blocking letter like a 'J' or 'C' in the right spot. Love that defensive block!!

In those cases, I may not benefit much from the score I get on that one play, but it helps not allow another player to get a huge score for themselves. In the end, it helps me by them not taking a larger point advantage on that round of play.

• Like 1

If you lock out non playoff teams DURING the playoffs, that makes sense. I think that's what you are saying?

But if a team has had a rough year and is eliminated bye week 10 let's say, the league needs to have strong incentives built into it's structure to have that team to want to continue to play and participate in WW activities, as if they were in 4th or 3rd place for example.

There is little worse in FF than having 3 or 4 owners quit playing in the final 3-4 weeks of the regular season. There are more than a few simple ways to have this not happen.

Yes, I was definitely talking about locking during playoffs only. I thought that's what he was talking about. But it could have been a team unable to make the playoffs too, so you'd need some other rule...or just make sure to get your guys fast enough when you need them :)

In Scrabble I have blown up many double and triple word score opportunities for the other players after me when I was not able to come up with something to use it myself because my letters just were not good on that turn. Then the other players moan because I introduced a blocking letter like a 'J' or 'C' in the right spot. Love that defensive block!!

That's why I'm thinking about going Seafoam in round 1 of my upcoming Fantasy Scrabble draft :D

That's why I'm thinking about going Seafoam in round 1 of my upcoming Fantasy Scrabble draft :D

You would be backing the right horse. Seafoam loves his Scrabble. Hahah. If you have the first pick though, go with Playstation's expert setting. I have only beaten that setting like 5 times out of 50. It comes up with 7 letter words throughout the game like 'azygous' or 'sjambok'. It will add on to 3 and 4 letter words to make 10 and 11 letter words where the initial small word is not even the root of the larger word.

Oh, and when I did beat it, it was because I blocked up the board with so much crap that there were limited possibilities for it to score big for anyone.

:)

So my point is. Block away in FF.

You would be backing the right horse. Seafoam loves his Scrabble. Hahah. If you have the first pick though, go with Playstation's expert setting. I have only beaten that setting like 5 times out of 50. It comes up with 7 letter words throughout the game like 'azygous' or 'sjambok'. It will add on to 3 and 4 letter words to make 10 and 11 letter words where the initial small word is not even the root of the larger word.

Oh, and when I did beat it, it was because I blocked up the board with so much crap that there were limited possibilities for it to score big for anyone.

:)

The last time I played Scrabble was a specialized version they called Battle Cattle Scrabble. All the words had to have something to do with fighting and/or cows. Like 'milkbomb'. We had to have larger hands of tiles, but it was fun. Haven't played normal scrabble in a long time.