Sign in to follow this  
Gladiators

Would you

Im confused. If you knew the answer, why did you bother asking the question?

That's the short answer. But we all have assets, yet few think prenups are necessary. I was expecting you to describe fabulous wealth or a prior relationship where your sig o robbed you blind.

Even as a dad and husband, I make time for myself. I get to the gym 3x a week, I read books, maybe once a month I get drinks with coworkers on a Friday. My wife and I get out for dinner with friends or alone every couple of months.

I think your first duty is to your family but I dont believe once you have kids your own happiness is irrelevant and your own life ends. I think being an interesting content person with your own friends and interests is actually modeling good behavior for your kids.

My own parents were like that and my dad is the hardest worker Ive ever known.

To clarify, when I said that men used to derive pleasure from providing for their family, I did not mean to imply that they should do so to the exclusion of all other activities.

To clarify, when I said that men used to derive pleasure from providing for their family, I did not mean to imply that they should do so to the exclusion of all other activities.

There was a time when men could go to the bar to get away from women. Now they go to the bar to meet women. Used to be, a man's home was his castle, now we have "man caves".

We're doing it to ourselves. :dunno:

• Like 1

I wasnt speaking to your post specifically, just the discussion and my own belief the past few years that having a life of my own actually makes me a better husband and dad.

Of course. Is there any other reason for a prenup?

Yeah, I dated a lawyer (34B) once. Her thought process was pretty disturbing - always worried about liability, injury and being taking advantage of. A pretty sh!tty way to go through life IMO. Especially wrt relationships, which fundamentally hinge on trust.

I thought pre-nups were only for fabulously wealthy (and cynical) people. Even if you are protecting your kid's inheritance, it still seems like a defeatist approach to marriage.

Yeah, its part of the training. Just like how you probably walk around and cant help but notice all the really unhealthy stuff people do, we are trained to identify potential problems.

And first rule or lawyering, is to not trust. You see (and help) enough people Fock each other over...

That's the short answer. But we all have assets, yet few think prenups are necessary. I was expecting you to describe fabulous wealth or a prior relationship where your sig o robbed you blind.

Its like Chris rock said. If you make fifty million, and your wife gets half, you doing alright. But if you make fifty thousand...

Legal protection aint just for the rich.

Yeah, its part of the training. Just like how you probably walk around and cant help but notice all the really unhealthy stuff people do, we are trained to identify potential problems.

And first rule or lawyering, is to not trust. You see (and help) enough people Fock each other over...

It was more than just recognizing problems; she was so mistrustful and neurotic she couldn't have any fun.

Aside from smokers and CBF, I don't really pay much attention to unhealthy behaviors outside of work.

Its like Chris rock said. If you make fifty million, and your wife gets half, you doing alright. But if you make fifty thousand...

Legal protection aint just for the rich.

Logically, this makes sense...but I can't see how a relationship can be built worrying about it failing.

Although I don't know too much about people's personal finances, I've never known anyone openly consider/prepare a prenup - do you think they are common outside of the uber-rich?

Can't answer the question; a woman that didn't want kids is not a woman I would have asked out for another date let alone marry.

I always knew there were reasons you couldn't make it in this country.

Logically, this makes sense...but I can't see how a relationship can be built worrying about it failing.

Although I don't know too much about people's personal finances, I've never known anyone openly consider/prepare a prenup - do you think they are common outside of the uber-rich?

Probably not real common, but not ridiculously so. I know it is more common now that many people are on second or third marriages, have children from priors, and have already been burned once before.

Of course, it is not always necessary either. For example, any premarital property is not divided upon divorce. The same is true of property inherited by one spouse. Now this is the crucial part, SO LONG AS SUCH PROPERTY IS NOT COMINGLED WITH MARITAL PROPERTY it is not part of the marital estate and thus not subject to division.

Remember that geeks. Should a relative ever pass and leave you some change, probably just want to leave that in a separate account and move money over as needed to your joint account or whatever. You just never know right?

Thats one of the odd things of legal training. You know exactly how to Fock people over in circumstances like this. Makes you feel a bit dirty sometimes.

Fortunately, I am protected under the no pot to piss in defense, so it matters little to me.

They're psychologically replacing something in the hole that they feel.

Because they know what they're subconsciously missing, even if their pride would not allow them to consciously admit it, or their fear of the unknown prevent it.

I agree with this

I agree with this

I have no doubt this is true for some childless pet owners. Especially the ones who identify the pet as their "baby", etc. But there are many people who just like animals. You wouldn't assume a doting cat owner is secretly yearning for dog, would you?

I know many couples without children by choice. The idea that something must be missing from their lives is pretty obnoxious.