Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

**Round Ten-Sixteen Commentary**

I'm headed out for a while. If I'm up before I get back, give me Mike's best projected D/ST (besides Miami).

That would be the Eagles D. I will make the pick for you.

in your opinion. I did not want to try to figure out which giant te was gonna produce today to cover for a gronk or eifert injury. Or throw in for injured reed.

I get the reasoning and I don't have an issue with it. It's just a different strategy than I prefer and that's ok. I've found that when people draft two QBs or two TEs or even both that usually they end up dropping the backups once bye weeks pop up. Not many want to hang on to a back up TE or QB when they need to replace and injured player or guy on their bye. Once those guys get dropped that's when I am usually able to pick up a new QB or TE if needed or even my own back up if I need to stream.

I get the reasoning and I don't have an issue with it. It's just a different strategy than I prefer and that's ok. I've found that when people draft two QBs or two TEs or even both that usually they end up dropping the backups once bye weeks pop up. Not many want to hang on to a back up TE or QB when they need to replace and injured player or guy on their bye. Once those guys get dropped that's when I am usually able to pick up a new QB or TE if needed or even my own back up if I need to stream.

Agreed, but that's not the case when I'm drafting. I like having two solid guys and the waiver wire flavor of the week is always available.

Agreed, but that's not the case when I'm drafting. I like having two solid guys and the waiver wire flavor of the week is always available.

Nothing wrong with that and even though I prefer not to do it I will occasionally go against my normal strategy. Sometimes the draft just falls in a weird way and I can't pass up certain players.

• Like 1

Also, with more and more leagues going to wider Flex options that second TE is a viable starter in some cases.

Also, with more and more leagues going to wider Flex options that second TE is a viable starter in some cases.

I've always gone by the theory that if I have to start two TEs weekly then I have a poor overall team. If not then I've got two of the best TEs in the league.

What site do we use to track this league? Please say yahoo....

The last couple of years it's been a best ball format on MFL.

Actually, I track it myself and send out weekly updates.

I've always gone by the theory that if I have to start two TEs weekly then I have a poor overall team.

Then you don't play in enough diverse leagues.

Then you don't play in enough diverse leagues.

Or I don't like to play in leagues where I feel the need to start a second TE. It's one of my least favorite positions in fantasy football. There's only one league where I start more than one TE and that's my dynasty league and it's because I'm required to start two. Sometimes I will start three if need be but that's completely different.

All the comments I've made on drafting TEs and starting TEs is based on pretty standard rosters and scoring settings, since that's what we're basing this mock on. If the mock were based on different setting then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Which one of us is Hawkeye? :D clash?

The only parts of my draft that were influenced by best ball were picking a DST in round 17 (more of a scoring issue than best ball) and my decision to handcuff Bell.

Otherwise I waited on QB like I do in all my leagues.

I really do not think there is that much impact on the best ball aspect.

If anything the "no hassle" aspect plays a bigger part as people need to be mindful of spreading out bye weeks since they don't have the luxury of dropping and adding.

When people do any mock, they do it with their own league rules in mind anyway.

Big deal over nothing, IMO

The last couple of years it's been a best ball format on MFL.

Not at all

... then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

We wouldn't be having this conversation if you didn't say some are drafting based on Best Ball format. I posted my reason for doing what I did days ago. It had nothing to do with BB, only how I will draft value regardless of need sometimes. Then you went on to tell me how you've never seen that (trading QB) work.

You brought this, and I don't mind stirring up the conversation at all. It can be beneficial to everyone who follows this draft. But your opinions come across as if you're way is right and others are wrong. Maybe that's not how you intend it but it's how it reads imo.

Not at all

Really? I could've swore we used MFL. I must have confused it with another forum draft.

We wouldn't be having this conversation if you didn't say some are drafting based on Best Ball format. I posted my reason for doing what I did days ago. It had nothing to do with BB, only how I will draft value regardless of need sometimes. Then you went on to tell me how you've never seen that (trading QB) work.

You brought this, and I don't mind stirring up the conversation at all. It can be beneficial to everyone who follows this draft. But your opinions come across as if you're way is right and others are wrong. Maybe that's not how you intend it but it's how it reads imo.

Wasn't meant to come off as my way is better. Was just an observation I made when looking at the draft results since they were quite different than what I've been seeing when doing mocks. This mock had QBs going quite a bit earlier than almost every mock draft I've seen. It was even more noticeable when I saw a lot of people taking a second QB as early as the 8th round and taking second TEs. From my own experience doing mock drafts I usually see a few more teams only take one QB or one TE. There's nothing wrong with that but it made me wonder if I was seeing those differences because this mock was possibly being influenced with best ball scoring. The reason I thought that is because I remember that being in the back of my mind when drafting the other years in this mock.

The best ball format really would only influence people's picks in the middle to late rounds when someone is considering more the bye weeks and making picks based on knowing they can't make rosters moves during the season. I was not implying that everyone was doing it or that it was even having a major influence on the mock. It was just an observation that it may be happening some and thought I'd bring it up to see if others noticed it. Was a bit surprised that some get a little defensive about it.

I'm curious if this mock was done with knowing that it would be imported into a yahoo league and actually allowed everyone to make adjustments and trades, would it change the results much? I think it would some.

Really? I could've swore we used MFL. I must have confused it with another forum draft.

I don't know if or what they do for the July and August mocks but the June mock has always been hand calculated by fumble and results are emailed weekly

Wasn't meant to come off as my way is better. Was just an observation I made when looking at the draft results since they were quite different than what I've been seeing when doing mocks. This mock had QBs going quite a bit earlier than almost every mock draft I've seen. It was even more noticeable when I saw a lot of people taking a second QB as early as the 8th round and taking second TEs. From my own experience doing mock drafts I usually see a few more teams only take one QB or one TE.

I can only speak from personal experience but a number of my redrafts do not go anything according to the mocks I do to kill time or test out strategies. I think in mocks, people are conditioned to follow the herd while in a real draft people will reach to ensure they get "their guy" or do some VBD with intentions to trade, which you don't usually factor into many mocks.

So an argument can be made that mocking with a league in mind is actually more helpful of a tool for readers.

When people only draft 1 QB in a mock it's because they are mimicking what they plan to do in their own real league. Which is likely pick up a 1 week filler QB for the bye week

I can only speak from personal experience but a number of my redrafts do not go anything according to the mocks I do to kill time or test out strategies. I think in mocks, people are conditioned to follow the herd while in a real draft people will reach to ensure they get "their guy" or do some VBD with intentions to trade, which you don't usually factor into many mocks.

So an argument can be made that mocking with a league in mind is actually more helpful of a tool for readers.

When people only draft 1 QB in a mock it's because they are mimicking what they plan to do in their own real league. Which is likely pick up a 1 week filler QB for the bye week

That was kind of my point. I always thought the purpose of the mock on here was to give readers a view at how a draft might go for a real league going by specific rules. This is why Mike has the scoring and settings all listed before doing the draft. The people mocking shouldn't be drafting according to how they would for their own league but for this specific mock and it's settings. I could just be completely off base too and just overthinking it too much too. :D

That was kind of my point. I always thought the purpose of the mock on here was to give readers a view at how a draft might go for a real league going by specific rules. This is why Mike has the scoring and settings all listed before doing the draft. The people mocking shouldn't be drafting according to how they would for their own league but for this specific mock and it's settings. I could just be completely off base too and just overthinking it too much too. :D

So then what was your entire point behind all of this? Simply the best ball factor? It's part of the league rules. Not the scoring system mike posts per se but part of it regardless. And no need to rehash but I don't think it impacts things very much

So then what was your entire point behind all of this? Simply the best ball factor? It's part of the league rules. Not the scoring system mike posts per se but part of it regardless. And no need to rehash but I don't think it impacts things very much

My point was, is this mock accurately serving it's purpose for the readers or is it just another random mock with everyone drafting based on their own leagues. Was an observation and thought I'd bring it up. I may be completely wrong though and I'm good with that. Was just curious if anyone else had the same thought or it was just me.

One of the things that sticks out in my mind was last year when the July mock had different settings in order to see what the results would be like and someone got pissed. They made comments about how the mocks were never done that way before and that's not how most leagues do it. To me the point of the mock is to follow the specific settings so readers can see how drafts change based on different league settings. Drafting how you would for your own draft is counterproductive for this mock in my opinion.

If I'm being too critical of it then let me know and I won't say any more.

My point was, is this mock accurately serving it's purpose for the readers or is it just another random mock with everyone drafting based on their own leagues. Was an observation and thought I'd bring it up. I may be completely wrong though and I'm good with that. Was just curious if anyone else had the same thought or it was just me.

One of the things that sticks out in my mind was last year when the July mock had different settings in order to see what the results would be like and someone got pissed. They made comments about how the mocks were never done that way before and that's not how most leagues do it. To me the point of the mock is to follow the specific settings so readers can see how drafts change based on different league settings. Drafting how you would for your own draft is counterproductive for this mock in my opinion.

If I'm being too critical of it then let me know and I won't say any more.

I have always approached this mock with a tilt toward how people might receive it.

Toward that end I try to use a balanced logic on picks, but where possible drift toward a higher risk approach and then balance the risk with some more reliable picks. What I hope to achieve is a view into how one might leverage risk and then offset that risk with picks that create depth or otherwise solidify a roster.

I understand that there are many approaches to mocks and drafts, and I do not see this approach used all that often, so I like to play with it in the mock in part to test it and in part to be able to talk about it for that audience for whom it might relate.

Typically before I draft in any league I try to mock it three or four dozen times, using what I know about the other members to have a set of alternatives ready to fire as the draft unfold in perhaps a way I had not expected, I will have multiple "plans" in place. I like it when drafting styles in these formats include a variety of styles, it helps the outsider get a more clear picture.