Sign in to follow this  
The Bard

My offense sucks...hurry up anyone?

Why does it take being behind by a lot in the 4th quarter for OC's to decide to go hurry up? Vikings, Seahawks, etc. Plodding along for 3 quarters and then...dun dun dun....we are behind in the 4th. Let's go! Ya Russ threw a pick 6, that can happen, but still, let's change it up boys, it's not rocket science.

Yeah I don't get why offenses don't have a sense of urgency. If I was leading in a game I would still want to score as much as possible instead of trying to run the clock out, and then panic when the other team gets close

Hurry Ups also turn into pick-6's more often than we like to remember. Plus, frankly, you run a hurry-up for all four quarters and you're gonna have some p!ssed off 300 pounders knocking on the coach's door the next day. After they get out of the hospital. :)

• Like 1

Not all four quarters but, come on, start off the third with some hurry up. Winning can motivate 300 pounders, no problem.

Not all four quarters but, come on, start off the third with some hurry up. Winning can motivate 300 pounders, no problem.

It's not about motivation, otherwise a whole bunch of people would be running sub-4 marathons. It's about conditioning. You can't motivate yourself past your VO2max.

because 90% of the NFL coaches lack originality. Basketball coaches figured it out a long time ago: the faster you score, the more chances you have to do it.

because 90% of the NFL coaches lack originality. Basketball coaches figured it out a long time ago: the faster you score, the more chances you have to do it.

This. There's really great data that shows that your chances of winning go up significantly if you go for it on 4th down almost all the time, almost regardless of field position, rather than punting. And yet "but but but you punt on 4th down!"

Soooo many coaching decisions are made out of fear of being wrong then out of the chance that you're right.

EDIT: I remember back during the Greatest Show on Turf when the Rams kicker got hurt. Who was that, Jeff Wilkins? He gets hurt, and instead of bringing a new kicker in, they just shrugged and said "Well we'll just go for 2 every single time". And they succeeded almost all the time. Everyone else screaming "but but but you need to do the safe thing and kick the PAT!"

Come on people! If the players were running around the entire time making things happen and being exciting and creating action that you'd have to actually watch in order to follow the game, it would be basketball.

Football requires long periods of watching fat guys get water squirted into their mouths and grown men waggling their fingers at each other and whispering into headsets. It's called 'Interesting Strategy'. Football is the thinking man's game.

Clearly.

All that picture tells me is that the women in Green Wisconsin are looking better than ever, for whatever that's worth

They're starting to cut down on the excessive drinking and bad decisions too.

That’s like saying why don’t marathon runners just run as fast as they can from the whistle and keep it up the whole marathon.

That’s like saying why don’t marathon runners just run as fast as they can from the whistle and keep it up the whole marathon.

It's really not, at all, in any way, like that. Teams so often clam up when they get the lead instead of pushing the tempo constantly. If one tires out their offense a little by doing this and it's working, they are going to tire out the defense much more. More urgency is needed with these teams. The Packers are a great example. Mccarthy should just scrap the stupid run plan he always has and just let Rodgers throw. Look at what KC and Pit did without running, to each other. There is some kind of stigma still to scoring by the pass with some coaches.