Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

Got an important decision to make

Yea thats true. Probably will end up going the nursing route. The owning my own practice part is what is enticing. I would have to pay a physician every month to be on the pay roll but they only need to be available by phone. My BIL owns a minute med clinic right next to his chiropractic office and he has an NP working for him. He pays a doctor $1K a month to be available by phone but the doctor hasnt ever set foot in that office. Hes also opening up a pharmacy across the street from those two clinics. Hoping he will be around by the time Im an NP. He was given 6 months to live a little over 2 months ago and doctors said his tumors are growing so he needs to do something now. Looking like he wont last the year. But hes been wanting to help me for years. Even said (back when I was 18) if I went to chiropractic school and worked for him he would pay for my school and pay me $100K a year. I just didnt want to do chiropractic.

Wait what, your BIL is terminally ill and only has months to live? How will he help you establish your own business? I rescind my advice. Don't start your own business.

Also unless that family money spigot is sizable, you can't afford the lifestyle you described in either of these fields.

Also do you plan to have kids? They suck out any disposable income you think you have.

Two of my buddy's wives are NPs. One has her own practice, the other one travels to regional hospitals. They both do very well. :thumbsup:

Also do you plan to have kids? They suck out any disposable income you think you have.

:lol: daughter will need braces starting in june...$4000 (bargain vs what other friends are paying)

:lol: daughter will need braces starting in june...$4000 (bargain vs what other friends are paying)

I figure I'm upwards of $20k into my kids' teeth. :mad:

I had two of them get braces in the same year. :mad:

Wait what, your BIL is terminally ill and only has months to live? How will he help you establish your own business? I rescind my advice. Don't start your own business.

Also unless that family money spigot is sizable, you can't afford the lifestyle you described in either of these fields.

He was given only a little time before to live as well but beat it. Praying he beats it again. But apparently hes already got everything set up to start the business and has advisors and what not. Hes basically getting things set up in case he does pass. That way his family and me would be fine

:doh: that sucks. are you guys english?

i kid

It'll be a nice addition to retirement when you require them to reimburse you (plus interest) once they hit 30 years old. :thumbsup:

Cmon.

4 houses, a boat, a couple horses, a yeti cooler and some nice watches is chump change to a guy like digby.

Take the route that will make you the most money long term. Two years is not really a long time. Think long term.

Yep. This.

Sooner than you realize, those two years will be over. In 5 or 10 or 20 years...you'll look at your income, and think...."Jeez....had I spent 2 more years at school....I would have went in debt another $xxxx but I would have made that up in 4, 6, 9 years or whatever....and now I'd be making $xxxx moreper year....and man...it sure would be nice to have that money".

That's only a guess. Of course there are other factors as well. Go with your gut.

Cmon.

4 houses, a boat, a couple horses, a yeti cooler and some nice watches is chump change to a guy like digby.

hold up!

the yeti was a gift

• Like 1

I take it he didn't choose bridge yet. <_<

Also, yes I do plan on having kids. Honestly, I want about 5-6 kids. Wife says thats too many. She wants 1 boy and 1 girl. But shes willing to settle on 3

The simple explanations is that people who "brag" about how much they make are probably lying, at least when it falls that far outside the spectrum.

Yup.

Do what you want, not what someone else wants. That's my only advice.

You want him to do what he wants, but then he would be doing what you want him to do. You said not to do that. :dunno:

You want him to do what he wants, but then he would be doing what you want him to do. You said not to do that. :dunno:

Whatever he does is wrong then. Hes in a no-win situation. Bridge it is.

Boy, didn't we just tell you not to do that?!

I love the guys that respond all serious. You people need a purpose.

It was a trick. You're the only one smart enough to pass this test.

It was a trick. You're the only one smart enough to pass this test.

Please don't tell him he's smart. Sux said he was funny once and now he thinks he is. Telling him he's smart will only compound the situation. :nono:

My advice Djgb, would be to just take the money and run. After a momentous college career at a top college, it's time to cash out. Your overall game is so good, most of the scouts are overlooking your noodle arm fastball. You are 30 now, enter the draft and get paid. 30 is hard enough, but not many MLB teams want to draft a 31 year old pitcher.

• Like 1

My advice Djgb, would be to just take the money and run. After a momentous college career at a top college, it's time to cash out. Your overall game is so good, most of the scouts are overlooking your noodle arm fastball. You are 30 now, enter the draft and get paid. 30 is hard enough, but not many MLB teams want to draft a 31 year old pitcher.

That's just great. Lol.

:first:

Pretty tough to take this seriously given the source.

I guess Id counsel caution on the business idea with your BIL. Sounds kinda shady but maybe that doesnt bother you. Always a questionable idea to go into business with family though. Very tough if things dont go well or conflicts arise.

Its not Glenn. Its Greg. Greg is afraid of the ball.

Does he still have eligibility remaining?

If you want your own practice, APRN is the obvious answer. Seems like your BIL has figured out the business side of things to help with that - though I doubt he deals with the insurance PITA youll encounter in a medical practice. But I thought your BIL has cancer?

ETA I see you mention his cancer. Sounds like he aint gonna be mentoring for long, so you really need to look into the logistics of your own practice. Urgent care clinics and concierge practices are all people seem interested in these days.

Jesus Id consider myself rich if I made anywhere close to that much. I hate not having money...

Actually thats not true. Id just be able to afford to rent a better apt and maybe a slightly better car and that would be much of the difference right there. The rat race never ends.

Amazing you havent been able to parlay your common sense and detective skills into a lucrative career. :dunno:

The simple explanations is that people who "brag" about how much they make are probably lying, at least when it falls that far outside the spectrum.

Exactly. His friend got greedy and embellished too much, drawing my eye and attention...which isn’t good for any lie. I sniffed it out within 2 google searches. See to get it past me you have to not fly so close to the sun, it leaves a telltale sunburn.

If you want your own practice, APRN is the obvious answer. Seems like your BIL has figured out the business side of things to help with that - though I doubt he deals with the insurance PITA youll encounter in a medical practice. But I thought your BIL has cancer?

ETA I see you mention his cancer. Sounds like he aint gonna be mentoring for long, so you really need to look into the logistics of your own practice. Urgent care clinics and concierge practices are all people seem interested in these days.

Yea he does. Hes going to undergo a special type of treatment in about 3 weeks. But hes told me roughly what he envisions for me to do. Hes got it planned out, drawn out, and instructed someone (Im guessing his financial advisor?) on what to do and how to set it up if he does pass away. He currently has a NP working for him as he owns a minute med clinic and is in the process of building a pharmacy across the street for it.

Jesus Id consider myself rich if I made anywhere close to that much. I hate not having money...

Actually thats not true. Id just be able to afford to rent a better apt and maybe a slightly better car and that would be much of the difference right there. The rat race never ends.

You are able bodied. Why not get into a trade?

You are able bodied. Why not get into a trade?

Too lazy, don’t want to work hard. I am complacent in a cushy job working from home and it’s hard to break out of that. Plusmitsmjustntrading one rat race for another.

Too lazy, dont want to work hard. I am complacent in a cushy job working from home and its hard to break out of that. Plusmitsmjustntrading one rat race for another.

I guess. Do you get good insurance and retirement benefits?

You should become a professional ball player and get your degrees during the off-season. :thumbsup:

I guess. Do you get good insurance and retirement benefits?

Yea insurance is good and benefits are there at least.

You CAN make that much. What does he do? I know PAs who are in surgery make close to that

He's my general doc.. hell I dunno what else he does.

Do whatever results in you posting less

:banana: