Sign in to follow this  
cbfalcon

New music I can't stop listening to

I really like Tame Impala's sound. And I saw a few lists that I respect ranking their album as the best of 2012. They are playing the Granada Theater soon here in Dallas and I was THIS close to buying tickets. But with The xx, Alt J, and a big Muse show coming up in the next 8 weeks or so, I decided to draw a line and stop buying concert tickets....For now.

i enjoy Tame Impala's music as well, but you missing the concert may not have been a bad thing. I saw them open for the black keys this summer, and I'll be honest... the were BAD. There were many things about it too. The mix definitely was off, which was a problem because the lead singer tends to drone off. That combined with the fact that he was off rhythm w/ guitar and vocals led for a disappointing show. Hopefully i just caught them on a bad night, or maybe i had them hyped up a little too much. Either way, i left disappointed.

The first time I listened to it, I thought "Not bad". The second time, I thought "Beautiful". Now I'm on listen 6 or so and I can't stop. The second half of this track gives me goosebumps.

Admittedly, I am so in love with The National that I can't talk without bias. But biased or not, a bad song will reveal itself on multiple listens. This band has passed every test. I still experience the aforementioned goosebumps listening to any of their previous 3 albums. I cannot wait for this new album to be released next month.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N527oBKIPMc

:thumbsup:

That song, Late Night, seems to be my favorite song of the year thus far. I have played it at least once per day the last 3 weeks I think.

Edit to add: Watching that video just now, man it sure is distracting from the song. :music_guitarred: The song really is great though.

Does anyone know of or have any opinions on Jake Bugg? It feels like Arctic Monkeys doing Bob Dylan, if that makes any sense. Admittedly I never had heard of him til recent weeks. I can't tell if he feels contrived or if I like it. I suspect it's catchy on first listen but may not hold up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCiQXsvPr1M

This has been stuck in my head for a couple of days.

:headbanger: :doublethumbsup: :headbanger:

I didn't realize that anyone here besides myself even knew who Johnny P was :cheers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG2Pgd6Tm7Q

Only listened to it once, so hard to form an opinion yet. Their first album (Oracular Spectacular) is one of my all time favorites. Second album blew with the exception of a couple of tracks that aged well. I have a feeling these guys are going to push themselves so far away from the commercial success of "Kids", "Time to Pretend", and "Electric Feel" that they will soon become irrelevant, if they aren't already.

I don't think I've ever heard that before. It was fun. :thumbsup:

Sounds like a phone commercial.

Sounds like a phone commercial.

Oh, I don't know if it's that good. :o

Can I post videos?

Anyway, new video by The National. I know I'm repetitive in talking about them, but this song just gets better and better everytime I hear it. Their album has been streaming on Itunes the past day or so but I've been unable to listen to it yet. I did read a review today that gave it 5 of 5 stars.

Grantland has a long good story on The National today. Nice to see them getting a little hype.This sentence and graph summarize and describe them reasonably well IMO. Simply my favorite band of this time of my life.

The National is the greatest contemporary example of a dying archetype: the self-contained, interdependent, integrity-obsessed, artistically consistent, smart but not pretentious, likably humble, and reliably durable rock band.

I decide that now is a good time to share with Dessner my grand theory on Who The National Really Are And What This Means To Me Personally. Even though the National formed in Brooklyn, and all of the members (with one exception)6 have lived in New York for nearly two decades, I'd argue that this is an inherently Midwestern rock band. This is partly due to all the members originally hailing from Cincinnati, of course; but it has even more to do with how the National carries itself, and why the songs work the way they do. Berninger and Dessner remind me of people I grew up with in Wisconsin who moved to New York in their 20s — you get the New York haircut, the New York wardrobe, and all the other New York affectations, but you can never shake the inferiority complex that's bred into you as a native of flyover country. Granted, this theory might just be a projection of my personal experiences and biases. But: The National is a hardworking, unassuming collective of ex–office drones who make music that appears superficially staid only because its modes of expression are internalized. This isn't a band that tells you everything that matters about itself all at once; Ohioans aren't allowed to be so ostentatious. In rock-and-roll terms, the National is practically puritanical. Success is about hard work. Pleasure should be cumulative and earned, not immediate and dispensed willy-nilly. The big picture always takes precedence over short-term gratification.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9273624/an-afternoon-national-eve-release-their-album-trouble-find-me

Can I post videos?

Anyway, new video by The National. I know I'm repetitive in talking about them, but this song just gets better and better everytime I hear it. Their album has been streaming on Itunes the past day or so but I've been unable to listen to it yet. I did read a review today that gave it 5 of 5 stars.

Going to see them at the Boston Calling Festival on May 26th...can't wait.

Going to see them at the Boston Calling Festival on May 26th...can't wait.

Just bought my ticket to see The National at the new Raleigh Ampitheatre on June 10th. :thumbsup:

cb and ksb...any thoughts on the new album yet?

I've listened to it only twice all the way through. On first listens, it sounds extremely well done, personal, and soothing.

Demons, Don't Swallow the Cap, and Sea of Love I have heard 5+ times already, as they were already out there...and I found those songs getting better and better to me on each listen. I don't hear any dropoff from those 3 to the rest, so it looks early on like your typical National album. One that will just get better and better as I listen to it more and more and discover new layers.

I've listened to it only twice all the way through. On first listens, it sounds extremely well done, personal, and soothing.

Demons, Don't Swallow the Cap, and Sea of Love I have heard 5+ times already, as they were already out there...and I found those songs getting better and better to me on each listen. I don't hear any dropoff from those 3 to the rest, so it looks early on like your typical National album. One that will just get better and better as I listen to it more and more and discover new layers.

I was a little surprised at the pace, and no Abel or Bloodbuzz kind of song. But, yeah, only one listen so far, and High Violet grew on me like crazy.

I was a little surprised at the pace, and no Abel or Bloodbuzz kind of song. But, yeah, only one listen so far, and High Violet grew on me like crazy.

For me personally, it's semi pointless to review an album for a few weeks.

I very very rarely ever love a song or album on first listen. If I do, it usually means its too simple/too catchy, thus I will quickly tire of it...Conversely, if something bores me completely on first listen, a band better have a track record for me to give it the needed legwork.....The best case scenario tends to be when something sounds interesting, but doesn't quite grab me right away. Those tend to be the ones with the highest likelihood to become growers. And in my history of music fandom, the growers are the ones that I end up loving forever.

This album fits the bill so far. While nothing beyond the 3 songs I know as really grabbed me yet (although Pink Rabbits came close), I think it sounds well done and interesting. Combine that with their history (Alligator, Boxer, and High Violet all started this way andjust slowly elevated themselves to such a point that I still listen to all 3 regularly), and I feel really good about it early on.

One more time through....There definitely isn't an Abel, but I think Sea of Love is your Bloodbuzz. Pink Rabbits is amazing in a Vanderlyle type of way. It's starting to grab me. I can't compare it to those last 3 albums yet except to say it doesn't rock as hard as Alligator, but it's good.

One more time through....There definitely isn't an Abel, but I think Sea of Love is your Bloodbuzz. Pink Rabbits is amazing in a Vanderlyle type of way. It's starting to grab me. I can't compare it to those last 3 albums yet except to say it doesn't rock as hard as Alligator, but it's good.

Liking it more and more. And saw them the other day..all the songs sound great live.

Liking it more and more. And saw them the other day..all the songs sound great live.

Same here. It's doing that thing great albums do where I don't even really have any favorite songs. One hour I am in the mood for This Is the Last Time and Pink Bullets, then the next I think Humiliation and I Should Live in Salt are speaking to me. It's all just really good.

I finally got around to downloading the Daft Punk album. They barely sound like an electronic band anymore and have basically went disco. I loved it on first listen, but have grown a bit bored of about half of it already. That said, I love the song Instant Crush, featuring Julian Casablanca on vocals (althought he sounds like a robot).

an oldie but goodie that i hadn't heard in a few years... pandora is great

got me re-listening to the 'everything to nothing' album again... good stuff :thumbsup:

I'm too old to be the hipster, new music guy - but I've stumbled on this Lord Huron stuff and I like it: