Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - RB T.J. Yeldon, Jaguars

A bit of a poor man's Le'Veon Bell, the Jaguars scoop up their likely feature back for the next few years. Yeldon is a patient 220-pounder with the lateral agility of someone about 15 pounds lighter. Yeldon played through injuries for most of the 2014 season, but is probably the best bet of this draft's remaining backs to be a 250-carry runner on a consistent basis. The Crimson Tide standout is better in the passing game than his 46 career catches suggest, so while Denard Robinson will likely steal 5-8 touches per game from him, Yeldon's redraft floor is as a high-end RB3 or flex option. As for his dynasty stock, he belongs in the discussion to be among the first 5-6 players in rookie drafts.

The Jags made a mistake. They showed last year with the Gerhart signing they were clueless about RBs, and they are still on that same road.

The Jags made a mistake. They showed last year with the Gerhart signing they were clueless about RBs, and they are still on that same road.

What's not to like about Yeldon? He's capable of carrying the bulk of the load and good in pass protection. He's much more elusive than Gearhart, and better at catching out of the backfield.

His only knock is he runs a bit upright and ball security.

What's not to like about Yeldon? He's capable of carrying the bulk of the load and good in pass protection. He's much more elusive than Gearhart, and better at catching out of the backfield.

His only knock is he runs a bit upright and ball security.

Time will tell. He shouldn't have been the third RB taken.

Time will tell. He shouldn't have been the third RB taken.

Explain who should have been taken ahead of him and why. I'm curious why you feel this way. I had him as my 3rd ranked RB, ahead of Coleman, Abdullah and Johnson. He would not have been there for Jacksonville in the 3rd, and of all the remaining RB's, he fits their offense and division better than the rest. Abdullah and Coleman both have issues breaking tackles, which is going to be necessary in his division and behind his line. Johnson may not be an every down back and Jacksonville didn't need another part time guy, they have a great part timer now in Robinson. I'm honestly curious what you don't like about him and why he's not a good fit for Jacksonville in your mind.

I'm guessing your leaguemates read this site and this is a ploy to get them to pass on him. I personally love this fit as paired with Robinson, they have the thunder & lightning type of backfield. Coleman was a perfect fit in Atlanta and Abdullah works great in Detroit. For once, I think the RB's drafted went to pretty solid situations where they can contribute early. I'm not a fan of Duke in Cleveland, but that's not because of him, it's because it's Cleveland and they don't have a clue what the heck they are doing.

I'll throw this out there - If I have the 1.01, and need a RB, I'm NOT taking Gurley in a dynasty. Not only is he coming back from an injury, but the Rams are notorious for not taking care of their players while injured. Bradford complained, Long has complained and even Saffold has suggested they try to hard to rush their players back into action. I expect Gurley to begin the season on the PUP list, and pray he does as a St. Louis homer, but I'm still not a fan of where he landed. Fisher will run him into the ground as soon as he's able. I think you can get Yeldon 5 or 6 picks later, pick up more picks or a player in a trade down, and still wind up with similar production.

• Like 1

I'll throw this out there - If I have the 1.01, and need a RB, I'm NOT taking Gurley in a dynasty. Not only is he coming back from an injury, but the Rams are notorious for not taking care of their players while injured. Bradford complained, Long has complained and even Saffold has suggested they try to hard to rush their players back into action. I expect Gurley to begin the season on the PUP list, and pray he does as a St. Louis homer, but I'm still not a fan of where he landed. Fisher will run him into the ground as soon as he's able. I think you can get Yeldon 5 or 6 picks later, pick up more picks or a player in a trade down, and still wind up with similar production.

This is an interesting take..and one I think I tend to agree with. I don't know whether Jeff Fisher has always done this, but it leads to speculation that he might shorten this kid's career...particularly on that playing surface. It almost parallels Tom Thibodeau.

I think Yeldon will do just fine for the Jaguars and will be a fast riser in re-drafts.