Sign in to follow this  
phillybear

***The Official TCU National Championship Thread***

OSU got in just becasue the BIg Ten used to be the glamor conference for football. It is no longer but I guess it doesn't matter - Both Baylor and TCU had better teams Baylor should of gotten in and should of been a no brainer.

OSU got in just becasue the BIg Ten used to be the glamor conference for football. It is no longer but I guess it doesn't matter - Both Baylor and TCU had better teams Baylor should of gotten in and should of been a no brainer.

It's simple branding.

Ohio State is a top 5 brand. TCU and Baylor are not top 50 brands.

If TCU and won the SEC, and Baylor had won the Big 10....and Bama and Ohio State tied at 11-1, then TCU and Baylor are still out. All that matters is the brand.

Ohio State got in because they gave the committee an excuse to avoid the TCU or Baylor controversy with that blowout win over Wisconsin. That let them say "ah, undisputed champ, no FSC opponent scheduled" and skip the other mess. Bottom line: the playoffs should be eight teams, and the decision to do a weekly rankings show for money opened them up for a mountain of legitimate criticism. But it is the NCAA, it would be more shocking if they DIDN'T f*ck everything up.

• Like 1

Ohio State got in because they gave the committee an excuse to avoid the TCU or Baylor controversy with that blowout win over Wisconsin. That let them say "ah, undisputed champ, no FSC opponent scheduled" and skip the other mess. Bottom line: the playoffs should be eight teams, and the decision to do a weekly rankings show for money opened them up for a mountain of legitimate criticism. But it is the NCAA, it would be more shocking if they DIDN'T f*ck everything up.

I think it is interesting that for all of the crap the BCS got, there really wasn't a whole lot of controversy over who the top two teams were. Part of it is that it is hard to get really mad at computers, and the other is that the polls didn't have the kind of movement we just saw. I'd be interested to know who would have made it this year if we still had the BCS? Having the champs of the two top conferences (Alabama and Oregon) is enticing, but there is that pesky undefeated FSU.

I think that the more teams you add to the playoffs, the more you open things up to controversy. With 8 teams, unless you do the 5 conf champs / 3 at large thing, you will have even more teams making arguments for being #8.

I'm thinking the NCAA is loving this. We've been arguing about this for weeks. :cheers:

I think it is interesting that for all of the crap the BCS got, there really wasn't a whole lot of controversy over who the top two teams were.

:shocking:

:shocking:

There will always be controversy. In the old BCS the talk was about number 2 versus number 3. In a 4 team playoff it will be #4 versus #5. In an 8 team there would be controversy between 8 and 9.

I think what jerry is getting at is that you woldn't have seen the #3 TCU win by 50 points then drop 3 spots. Of course in the BCS TCU never would've been #3 over an undefeated FSU with a similar SOS either.

It's hard to get mad at a computer model and those models are consistent. Human beings are not. Which I think is the point. That's all. :dunno:

I still don't know why they didn't just keep the BCS, but simply changed it to 4 teams instead of 2. The model was fine, how the teams were ranked was fine, it was more about the # of teams that people had more issue with. Like when there were 3 undefeated teams.

The BCS stands for Bowl Championship Series. That never changed. We still have a championship series played out in the Bowl games.

Pretty much what they did instead was go backwards to the days where the champions were deteremined by a poll. Like tback in the day when we had a AP champion and a UPI champion. Just substitute poll for commitee. Either way its human beings voting on who they "like" best. Thats fine for beauty contests but not football.

They shoulda just kept the BCS, changed it to 4 teams, and maybe simplified and made more transparent how the BSC rankings (computer model) is derived. Done and Done.

Why even publish weekly rankings if they don't mean shiot?

To create fake outrage, get people talkin' and create a buzz. It has nothing really to do with the sport or finding a champion until the last ranking.

It's actually brilliant in that respect. Lets fock this up for weeks so much that people talk about it and we get publicity. It's college footballs version of releasing a sex tape.

• Like 1

Art Briles has Bama ranked 4th? Damn. :shocking:

No bias there, obviously :rolleyes:

Old BCS jerry?

Would just change the outrage.

Who are you leaving out if it was the old way this year?

Oregon? Bama? FSU?

As someone else said, it just changes the controversy from #2 vs #3 to #4 vs. #5 and whatever.

At least this way...4 teams, they have to play 2 games to win. Its not just some...prepare for a month for one game, win it and you are the champ.

Old BCS jerry?

Oregon? Bama? FSU?

As someone else said, it just changes the controversy from #2 vs #3 to #4 vs. #5 and whatever.

At least this way...4 teams, they have to play 2 games to win. Its not just some...prepare for a month for one game, win it and you are the champ.

I'll tell you the real winner. The real winner in all of this is Jerry Jones. Jerry World is a money printing cash machine.

Old BCS jerry?

Oregon? Bama? FSU?

I don't wanna speak for jerryskids.

But the old BCS might not solve the controvesy between deciding between OSU and Baylor. However I contend it would reduce the controversy significantly. How so?

1. Confusion as to what the commitee looks at. For instance in the old BCS, a TCU never would've been ranked 3rd over an undefeated FSU who had the same SOS. The committee put them at three based on "eye test".

2. Thus it puts people in the position to think that as long as the #3 team wins they are in. Bu they aren't because the next week, a "commitee" changes their mind, cause OSU was the pretty girl this week.

A computer model doesn't posses all the bad things that humans bring to the table. Bias, inconsitency, stupidity, etc. I think thats the point, at least mine.

It's simple branding.

Ohio State is a top 5 brand. TCU and Baylor are not top 50 brands.

If TCU and won the SEC, and Baylor had won the Big 10....and Bama and Ohio State tied at 11-1, then TCU and Baylor are still out. All that matters is the brand.

This. The NCAA will not take the chance that a team from TCU would win their coveted make believe title. I didn't believe for a second that they'd get in. Even Baylor would be preferred; if TCU came in and won it would lend credence to their record over the past several years.

Had Wisconsin hammered OSU and their 4th string QB they'd have made a the jump.

But the old BCS might not solve the controvesy between deciding between OSU and Baylor. However I contend it would reduce the controversy significantly. How so?

1. Confusion as to what the commitee looks at. For instance in the old BCS, a TCU never would've been ranked 3rd over an undefeated FSU who had the same SOS. The committee put them at three based on "eye test".

2. Thus it puts people in the position to think that as long as the #3 team wins they are in. Bu they aren't because the next week, a "commitee" changes their mind, cause OSU was the pretty girl this week.

A computer model doesn't posses all the bad things that humans bring to the table. Bias, inconsitency, stupidity, etc. I think thats the point, at least mine.

As of this morning, the old BCS system has TCU at #4.

I still don't know why they didn't just keep the BCS, but simply changed it to 4 teams instead of 2. The model was fine, how the teams were ranked was fine, it was more about the # of teams that people had more issue with. Like when there were 3 undefeated teams.

Agree 100%. Except I might not let the coaches vote. Also, all voting should be public.

At what point did the Big Ten go from a recent laughing stock from being a sh!tty conference to beating out a pair of better teams from the Big Twelve? Name brand recognition? I find it a bit baffling.

• Like 1

Had Wisconsin hammered OSU and their 4th string QB they'd have made a the jump.

What jump? TCU was already ranked ahead of OSU by 2 spots. They didn't need to "jump" anyone.

What jump? TCU was already ranked ahead of OSU by 2 spots. They didn't need to "jump" anyone.

Wisconsin would have jumped into the picture knocking TCU out just like Ohio State did. Unsure why that's confusing.

Wisconsin would have jumped into the picture knocking TCU out just like Ohio State did. Unsure why that's confusing.

I don't agree with that, but with this commitee, you never know. I think if OSU lost, Baylor would be the 4th seed.

What I will agree with you on though is that this commitee, being human beings and all, are swayed/biased by brand. For instance, if Baylor was called Texas (with the same resume), then Texas would be the 4th seed.

Just one more reason why Computers > People

At what point did the Big Ten go from a recent laughing stock from being a sh!tty conference to beating out a pair of better teams from the Big Twelve? Name brand recognition? I find it a bit baffling.

Because the Big 12 wasnt great...because OSU had a better ranked strength of schedule...because the big 12 schedules crap for out of conference and doesnt have a true champion

I doubt that

Had two losses...i dont think they would have jumped

I don't agree with that, but with this commitee, you never know. I think if OSU lost, Baylor would be the 4th seed.

What I will agree with you on though is that this commitee, being human beings and all, are swayed/biased by brand. For instance, if Baylor was called Texas (with the same resume), then Texas would be the 4th seed.

Just one more reason why Computers > People

I believe that "conference champion" was going to be the thing they'd hang their hats on and, barring a collapse at the top, Baylor had little chance. TCU none at all.

That recognizable Buckeye... you know, from the conference that was still being laughed at halfway through the season... looks a lot better on their promos than the Horned Frog or Baylor's garish color schemes.

And a record 10 bowl teams out of that for crap conference. Nah, name recognition and membership in the ol boys club doesn't mean a thing.

Because the Big 12 wasnt great...because OSU had a better ranked strength of schedule...because the big 12 schedules crap for out of conference and doesnt have a true champion

Big 10 biggest out of conference opponents 2014: TCU , LSU, and a big tie between UCF, Wash St, Fresno and maybe Northern Illinois?

Big 12 biggest ooc opponents 2014: Alabama, Florida State, Auburn, UCLA, Minnesota, Duke, Iowa.

Neither the Big 10 nor 12 was great, but neither was any other conference this year. PAC12 probably overall strongest.

Old BCS jerry?

Oregon? Bama? FSU?

Not sure what you are arguing about; I said that under the old system this would have been one of those years where one of those two got left out. :dunno:

My main point was that the more teams you add to the playoff, the more you move from elite teams to very good teams. There are always lots of very good teams, so there would be more arguments.

Gothca. The way you worded it I thought you meant TCU would of made the jump - which sounded off. Equally off, would of been Wisconsin leaping from #13 to be in the final 4. I'd say no way that could happen - but this committee is about as focking clueless as it gets, may have done it.

Big 10 biggest out of conference opponents 2014: TCU , LSU, and a big tie between UCF, Wash St, Fresno and maybe Northern Illinois?

Big 12 biggest ooc opponents 2014: Alabama, Florida State, Auburn, UCLA, Minnesota, Duke, Iowa.

Neither the Big 10 nor 12 was great, but neither was any other conference this year. PAC12 probably overall strongest.

Sure...I don't think they were great...but none of the top 2 teams played anything great out of conference.

Neither did OSU...granted, scheduling VT is not a bad game. They usually are better than they were this year.

But OSU adds that last game...and the Big 12 doesn't have that.

You can't schedule crap opponents...not have a title game, then cry too much when your team doesn't get picked.

Imagine how much fun the NFL would be if they had a committee that picked the playoff teams :lol:

They do so good at instant replay and referees, how could they possibly fock it up?

Sure...I don't think they were great...but none of the top 2 teams played anything great out of conference.

Neither did OSU...granted, scheduling VT is not a bad game. They usually are better than they were this year.

But OSU adds that last game...and the Big 12 doesn't have that.

You can't schedule crap opponents...not have a title game, then cry too much when your team doesn't get picked.

You can't cry about their crap opponents, not in relation to anything regarding the Big 10. That argument is ridiculous.

If you want to focus on a title game, fine. But the Big 10 schedules nobody.

Imagine how much fun the NFL would be if they had a committee that picked the playoff teams :lol:

They do so good at instant replay and referees, how could they possibly fock it up?

Hence my dismay over the years when people object to only conference champs going into a playoff system. WTF cares if the second place team from a conference gets in? Win. It's what's required in almost all other cases.

Why even publish weekly rankings if they don't mean shiot?

Money. Those shows bring in a ton of advertising revenue on top of keeping college football even more in the press than usual. They don't mind the criticism they will take when the rankings don't make sense, they never cared about criticism before.

I like how Mississippi State jumped Michigan State when neither of them played. :doh:

Ahead of Ol Miss who beat them soundly two weeks ago. So head-to-head obviously doesn't matter a bit. Which makes sense. Who would use how teams played vs each other as a valid measurement when instead you can sit around a conference table and decide who was better?

Interested in seeing how the old BCS system would have looked this year? In the simulated standings below, provided by BCSKnowHow.com, Alabama and Florida State, at least in years prior, would have been playing for the national title. If the system were used to select four teams, it would have also selected Oregon and Ohio State. The order would be different, but it would have included the same four teams.

Read more: http://collegespun.com/big-ten/ohio-state/heres-what-the-final-bcs-standings-would-have-looked-like#ixzz3LLvuuME7

You can't cry about their crap opponents, not in relation to anything regarding the Big 10. That argument is ridiculous.

If you want to focus on a title game, fine. But the Big 10 schedules nobody.

Im talking about the 2 teams that were left out.

That Ok State got beat by FSU or K.State got beat by Auburn doesn't really matter to TCU, Baylor, and Ohio State.

The ranking of SOS favored Ohio State. Part of that is because TCU and Baylor had crappy non conference schedules and didn't have that extra game against a ranked opponent to help them out. If they had...OSU would have been out of luck.

Edit:

And Big 10 scheduling...just looking at the 3 best teams from each division in their conference

OSU scheduled VTech...not usually some cupcake.

Michigan State went to Oregon.

Maryland went to So. Florida, played West Virginia. Not some crappy Division 2 teams or anything.

Wisconsin started with LSU (and has Bama next year in the opener...LSU again in 2016) Also had USF. USF had a down year...but likely when that was scheduled was while they were actually a decent program a few years ago.

Minnesota played @ TCU

Nebraska had Miami on the schedule.

Im talking about the 2 teams that were left out.

That Ok State got beat by FSU or K.State got beat by Auburn doesn't really matter to TCU, Baylor, and Ohio State.

The ranking of SOS favored Ohio State. Part of that is because TCU and Baylor had crappy non conference schedules and didn't have that extra game against a ranked opponent to help them out. If they had...OSU would have been out of luck.

Edit:

And Big 10 scheduling...just looking at the 3 best teams from each division in their conference

OSU scheduled VTech...not usually some cupcake.

Michigan State went to Oregon.

Maryland went to So. Florida, played West Virginia. Not some crappy Division 2 teams or anything.

Wisconsin started with LSU (and has Bama next year in the opener...LSU again in 2016) Also had USF. USF had a down year...but likely when that was scheduled was while they were actually a decent program a few years ago.

Minnesota played @ TCU

Nebraska had Miami on the schedule.

You discredit a discussion that you started about the respective conferences and their out of conference schedules by saying it doesn't matter to TCU or Baylor who OSU, OU etc played.

Then you bolster your argument for Ohio St by citing the ooc schedule of other teams in their conference.

Let's simplify:

TCU went out of conference for their one "big" game and beat Big 10 team Minnesota (8-4).

Ohio St went out of conference for their one "big" game and lost to ACC team Va Tech (6-6)