Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

**Golf Talk** thread

Next week will be six months since I played my last round of golf. I used to play twice a week. This is the longest I've ever gone not playing or practicing. The last round I played was a scramble that was par is your friend. Don't get to the green in regulation, pick it up. The guys I was playing with sucked and I had one to many bloody mary's before the round started. I think we had two birdies and a few earned pars. When I was walking off the course, I told my golfing buddy that I was going to put the clubs away for a while. I didn't think it would be this long.

Taking this time off is going to be a really good thing our a really bad thing for my golf game. I have a good swing and good setup, but I can't stop lifting my head up and coming out of shots. The last time after I took a break, when I came back, I was staying in shots more and scoring. But the more I played, that old habit crept back in. A golf instructor told me to practice swinging and to focus on just the swing. Take a hundred practice swings a night for a week. Don't hit a ball or line up a target. Just swing the club and stay in it. He said that this might be the way I'm going to get rid of that bad muscle memory. We shall see.

What's the longest you've gone without playing and how'd you do when you came back? I know some of you don't play golf in the winter when they close the course down. Is that good or bad for your game?

take me a few weeks to get that feeling of confidence over the ball. Like i said i've played 36 holes over the long weekend, and the last 9 i played i started to get that confidence back standing over the ball. I had hit on range mats over the winter a handful of times, went to a simulator to drink and goof off. but getting that feeling of contact off grass is something you can't do on a mat. Next is some short game range practice to groove in that feeling of chipping contact. was definitely gripping my 56* wedge too tight on the course

I'm pretty much a year-rounder... But even still, I get burned out... I used to play at least twice, sometimes 3 to 4 times a week religiously... Now I'd rather do other things... But back to the question - longest I will normally go is 1 month.

Most winters there's usually a 2-month span when you can't play because of snow but if it's in the mid to high 30s and there's no snow on the ground we'll be out there somewhere playing :bandana:

I played on Saturday for the first time since early December. Took me about 18 holes before my swing came back for my driver and irons. Around the green, I never really had the touch. That is where not playing really affects my game. Chips and putts are off and it really affects your scoring.

I thought of this years ago and I hope it catches on

I've heard it talked about off and on. And while it doesn't interest me personally, I totally see it being a good idea.

My idea, which may already be out there but I haven't heard, is to do it. But whereas I've heard people say to do it certain days, I say do it full time and put two holes on each green. Different color flags, and you are either playing the traditional hole or the 15 inch hole. Easy.

I've heard it talked about off and on. And while it doesn't interest me personally, I totally see it being a good idea.

My idea, which may already be out there but I haven't heard, is to do it. But whereas I've heard people say to do it certain days, I say do it full time and put two holes on each green. Different color flags, and you are either playing the traditional hole or the 15 inch hole. Easy.

:thumbsup:

I think 15 is a little too big, but I think at least doubling the size it is now would be awesome.

Most people still can't get on the green in par, so it would be great for a lot of people.

Notes from this weekend:

* The Copperhead course is a phenomenal golf course.. Not the normal look for a Florida track - you'd think you were in another state.

* What an awesome win for Hadwin.. He putted his ass off all week - great to see this kid get his 1st win.

* I was -1 thru 15, then hit the Van de Velde wall. Finished the final four +6... But still managed to get back the $210 (and then some) I lost 2 weeks ago from that disastrous 84... I said fock it to the fade experiment (least on the course).. But I did add a strip of lead tape to the toe of my driver.. Made a huge difference, one I still can't believe. In addition to straightening out my path, I was also getting about 20 more yards of roll out of it.

Notes from this weekend:

* The Copperhead course is a phenomenal golf course.. Not the normal look for a Florida track - you'd think you were in another state.

* What an awesome win for Hadwin.. He putted his ass off all week - great to see this kid get his 1st win.

* I was -1 thru 15, then hit the Van de Velde wall. Finished the final four +6... But still managed to get back the $210 (and then some) I lost 2 weeks ago from that disastrous 84... I said fock it to the fade experiment (least on the course).. But I did add a strip of lead tape to the toe of my driver.. Made a huge difference, one I still can't believe. In addition to straightening out my path, I was also getting about 20 more yards of roll out of it.

I have played that Copperhead course. It is okay, but not my favorite PGA course. While it looks like it is not a typical Florida course, if I wanted to have a non-FL course, I would go to that course in the other state. :dunno:

My buddy had Hadwin this week, 90-1 for $10, cha-ching

10 bucks :D

#poorpeoplebetting

10 bucks :D

#poorpeoplebetting

I put at most $20 on a golfer for a week, it's retarded to bet anymore then that. Hitting a golfer for a week is so unpredictable.

While it looks like it is not a typical Florida course, if I wanted to have a non-FL course, I would go to that course in the other state. :dunno:

I'm certain not everyone enjoys the typical Florida style layouts.. The snowbirds, who can' t play right now, are afforded a place to play with an upper Eastern look - while they're homes are getting pelted with snow.

Notes from this weekend:

I've been Even at my home course I think twice, maybe 3 times I can remember, going into 7 (only 9 holes)

7 is the toughest hole, par 3 over water, depending on the wind can play 220+

8 is the 2nd toughest (par 4)

9 is easy (par 4)

My best ever finishing score has been +3

Notes from this weekend:

He played well but the kid choked big time. Two horrible bunker shots in the last 3 holes, especially on 18.

Last weekend I was in Missouri, and I played http://www.topoftherock.com/top-of-the-rock-golf-course/

9 hole par 3 course. It was about $160, plus $50 for club rental. Luckily it was a business trip so I didn't have to pay.

I have to say, it's what I imagine Augusta being like in terms of pristine condition and beauty....The trees, pine straw, and flowers allowed me to daydream it. And like Augusta, there is no such thing as rough. The greens were all pretty heavy on undulation, but they were slow enough to be playable.

I didn't take the round seriously, so unsure what I shot. I know I hit 7 greens, but never made a putt for birdie, and I 3 putted at least twice. Also took 3 shots to get out of a bunker once......But it was more about just seeing the course and relaxing. I recommend it.

He played well but the kid choked big time. Two horrible bunker shots in the last 3 holes, especially on 18.

The real horrible shot was Cantlay's approach to 18.. He flat out Colin Montgomerie, Winged Foot fanned that iron from the middle of the fairway to even get in the bunker.. But Hadwin helped him out big time on 16 - tanking it in the pond for Double... Had he not done that, the 18th hole doesn't matter.

If this catches on I will be sure to tell everyone that I have two holes-in-one, BEFORE they went to the oversized cup.

The real horrible shot was Cantlay's approach to 18.. He flat out Colin Montgomerie, Winged Foot fanned that iron from the middle of the fairway to even get in the bunker.. But Hadwin helped him out big time on 16 - tanking it in the pond for Double... Had he not done that, the 18th hole doesn't matter.

Exactly. Hadwin gift wrapped it for Cantley and the kid screwed up two simple bunker shots and f'd up his approach on 18.

Cantlay is one of the most deceptive bombers I've ever seen.. That kid flat out knocks the living shiit out of the ball - damn he goes deep.. But it never looks like he's going balls out.

Cantlay is one of the most deceptive bombers I've ever seen.. That kid flat out knocks the living shiit out of the ball - damn he goes deep.. But it never looks like he's going balls out.

Do you know what he did to his back that caused such a long layoff?

Do you know what he did to his back that caused such a long layoff?

I don't think it was accident induced.. I think he just has the Freddy Couples, focked up back. Shame too - he was actually the one touted to be Jordan Spieth before Jordan Spieth arrived.

If this catches on I will be sure to tell everyone that I have two holes-in-one, BEFORE they went to the oversized cup.

There is a tough 9 hole course I play a lot. Not very long but many holes are either narrow or have no wind cover. A large man made lake comes into play on 3 of the holes. They have always had alternate tees so you can have variation for your full 18 hole round but just recently also added 2 holes on each green. One neat of flags for the front ad one for your back 9.

Nit a 15 inch cup though, just a way to make a 9 hole course better for a full round

Anyone catch the GC last night, episode of the 1960 Masters' Highlights? In addition to getting to see Hogan, Palmer and a slew of others play Augusta in color - I saw something I don't ever remember seeing........ Hogan would leave the pin in when putting, on the green - from distances as short as 15 feet.. I don't remember hearing about that - focking insane.

I watched the 2 part feherty with phil. Havnt watched feherty in a while but the style of the show has gone downhill. Loved the interview though

I watched the 2 part feherty with phil. Havnt watched feherty in a while but the style of the show has gone downhill. Loved the interview though

Feherty has jumped the shark for me

There are things better, but not many... Getting to hit balls after work, then playing a few holes chasing the sun is about as cool as it gets. :thumbsup:

Feherty has jumped the shark for me

It used to be very funny and entertaining in its old format. Like I remember the one he did with big John

Now it's like a weird studio audience but the interview is off location rather than live. I don't get it. And David is not nearly as funny in front of that audience as he is just situationally. He's downright unfunny.

It used to be very funny and entertaining in its old format. Like I remember the one he did with big John

Now it's like a weird studio audience but the interview is off location rather than live. I don't get it. And David is not nearly as funny in front of that audience as he is just situationally. He's downright unfunny.

since he lost weight he seems to have lost his funny. has something to do with him switching networks and probably being told to tone it down

WTF happened to Hunter Mahan?

ranked #22 in the world in 2014

Forced my recovering broken hand to grip the super-stroke mid size on my putter. Could barely get my pinkie on it, maybe just have to regrip all my irons in superstroke jumbo size

Really digging this team format styled tour event this week... Spieth and Palmer look great together - get those biatches 2gether on the RC.

2 months into my golf lessons. My backswing was a little flat and my forward swing plagued by a hip slide that is proving tough to fix. The Pro is having me do half swings and rotating my body more to feel clearing my hips instead of sliding them. When I key on turning my right hip (I'm a lefty) instead of sliding, I do pretty well.

Really digging this team format styled tour event this week... Spieth and Palmer look great together - get those biatches 2gether on the RC.

You make it to the women's tourney? Pretty sure I recall you saying you were going this week

7:22 tee time tomorrow 18 holes

7:15 tee time Sunday 18 holes

You make it to the women's tourney? Pretty sure I recall you saying you were going this week

I was hoping to go 2day, but I got tied up in the office.. I'm heading out there Sunday... If weather holds up, I will go out there 2morow too.