Sign in to follow this  
Frozenbeernuts

Why college should not be free

Why?

States already do it to train their future workforce and keep talent in state. They probably get a chunk of that back in graduate buying power, lower unemployment rates etc.

States already do it to train their future workforce and keep talent in state. They probably get a chunk of that back in graduate buying power, lower unemployment rates etc.

I already paid for my education and saving for my kids' You want me to pay for your child's too?

I already paid for my education and saving for my kids' You want me to pay for your child's too?

What state are you in? Youre likely already paying for subsidized public universities. Maybe your kids will go to one some day.

I am not sure how much college is needed outside of a couple degrees.

I think even most engineers could get away with a 2 year study program.

What state are you in? Youre likely already paying for subsidized public universities. Maybe your kids will go to one some day.

Your state and I know I am.

Your state and I know I am.

Great. You have a lot of terrific public universities to chose from. My SD is likely going to West Chester or Temple (partly public). Not sure where you are but the Penn State system is really good too.

Well theres a transition period thatll hurt for some. Like those who just put their own kids through college.

But in the long run, there wouldnt be a need to put your kids through college so parents would benefit as well. Maybe too late for you personally but sometimes you just have to take a big money shot square on the chin. For the good of society.

Well theres a transition period thatll hurt for some. Like those who just put their own kids through college.

But in the long run, there wouldnt be a need to put your kids through college so parents would benefit as well. Maybe too late for you personally but sometimes you just have to take a big money shot square on the chin. For the good of society.

AD pretty quickly went into attack the messenger mode there.

AD pretty quickly went into attack the messenger mode there.

Yeah Im not even for totally free college but that line of thinking is extraordinarily short-sighted.

Hey why raise the minimum wage? I just spent ten years busting my hump for 5.75!

Hey how come theres a GI bill? My great grand pappy didnt get sh1t after World War One!

Wait a minute, NOW were improving the interstate? But I just moved into the city! :mad:

:doh:

State of Michigan budget already includes over $1.7 billion to public colleges. I think taxpayers are already doing so. The thing that pissed me off is shiot like this:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/16/university-of-michigan-launches-zero-tuition-college.html

Local bar maid is going to France for three weeks. I asked her how she can afford it. She says two of the weeks are considered tuition and she's paying for the third. She's taking out loans to pay for school and the extra week so I asked her how much it will cost her she says $7000. What she doesn't get it the interest she'll be paying over the life of the loan. She simply couldn't comprehend the whole concept. :wall:

Yeah Im not even for totally free college but that line of thinking is extraordinarily short-sighted.

Hey why raise the minimum wage? I just spent ten years busting my hump for 5.75!

Hey how come theres a GI bill? My great grand pappy didnt get sh1t after World War One!

Wait a minute, NOW were improving the interstate? But I just moved into the city! :mad:

:doh:

I meant more assuming that he is paying for my kids. Did AD go to a public university? Will his kids? I pay taxes too jackass. :doh:

Great. You have a lot of terrific public universities to chose from. My SD is likely going to West Chester or Temple (partly public). Not sure where you are but the Penn State system is really good too.

You said she was a loser.

You said she was a loser.

I said her dad was. He is.

but also my biggest problem with the free college is that we need blue collar workers, trade schools should be funded too, as those actually lead to good paying specific jobs in usually under a year. Thats the stuff we should be funding

Yup. Home Depot shouldn't be having to train construction workers. Secure the border and offer trades for those who aren't suited for college.

My two older kids attend ASU and their tuition is practically free, because they did well in the SAT. Both are in engineering (although my daughter may change to Comp Sci, long story). I agree with whoever said earlier that keeping the best and brightest in state is a good investment for the state.

I paid very little to attend MIT in the 80s. Combinations of grants, aid, scholarships, and loans made it so. All but the scholarships were need-based. I graduated, eventually made geek club money, and have paid way more back in taxes to justify the investment in my education.

Mechanisms exist and have existed for decades for students to get tuition assistance, and I'm more than happy to continue to use tax dollars to support the education of needy qualified students.

My problem is with this blanket "free college for everyone" idea. For example, the daughter of good friends is on the 6+ year plan, changed majors at least 3 times, and if she ever graduates will be shoveling horse shiot off of the streets of Disney World (the family has an unhealthy love of Disney, and she has done two internships as a shiot shoveler or similar). We should pay for this? :dunno:

My cousin and I were just texting back and forth about how his 2 sons (both in college) just focked up their financial aid paperwork.

He told them he was going to stop claiming them so they could claim their own exemptions. They somehow took that to mean they were now emancipated minors and filed papers accordingly.

So financial aid audited them and stuck my cuz with a $30K bill thats due before his oldest graduates in May.

Stupid college boys.

And people without children subsidized you the whole way. It’s kinda the way taxes work.

I'll let you know tomorrow how Humpty Dumpty does after Guthrie period gym when it's dropped fifty stories.

Or I'll just paint that prestine egg white after I hard boil that mother fawker with Pazz in the next few minutes and take credit for defying gravity.

Nah!!! That would be cheating. Gravitas and gravity go hand and hand. Her egg has gravitas.

It survived 5.5 meters. :pointstosky:

My two older kids attend ASU and their tuition is practically free, because they did well in the SAT. Both are in engineering (although my daughter may change to Comp Sci, long story). I agree with whoever said earlier that keeping the best and brightest in state is a good investment for the state.

I paid very little to attend MIT in the 80s. Combinations of grants, aid, scholarships, and loans made it so. All but the scholarships were need-based. I graduated, eventually made geek club money, and have paid way more back in taxes to justify the investment in my education.

Mechanisms exist and have existed for decades for students to get tuition assistance, and I'm more than happy to continue to use tax dollars to support the education of needy qualified students.

My problem is with this blanket "free college for everyone" idea. For example, the daughter of good friends is on the 6+ year plan, changed majors at least 3 times, and if she ever graduates will be shoveling horse shiot off of the streets of Disney World (the family has an unhealthy love of Disney, and she has done two internships as a shiot shoveler or similar). We should pay for this? :dunno:

agree 100%

She dropped it from 6?

HE WAS IN THE POOL!

And people without children subsidized you the whole way. Its kinda the way taxes work.

Thank you. I thought taxes were based on income?

She is probably better staying in engineering, speaking from personal experience you can get a programming job with an engineering degree. I am not the only programmer at my company with an engineering degree. Most the people I work with do not have computer science degrees.

Computer science program generally teaches c++ which are not used by the majority of the businesses.

If she can learn to program and get an engineering degree she would be better off than getting a computer science degree. Not that my opinion carries any weight, but just something for you to consider.

Sure, but deductions are based on things the government wants to promote, like having kids.

An owning a home, and investing in the stock market and on and on. Kids aren't even close to covering what the Govt subsidize. Quit yer crying, especially considering what you do for a living. The whole thing is subsidized practically.

An owning a home, and investing in the stock market and on and on. Kids aren't even close to covering what the Govt subsidize. Quit yer crying, especially considering what you do for a living. The whole thing is subsidized practically.

I wasn’t crying, just pointing out we all pay for things from which we derive no personal benefit.

And I’m sure you realize the hypocrisy of a retired cop criticizing a physician for their profession being subsidized?

I wasnt crying, just pointing out we all pay for things from which we derive no personal benefit.

And Im sure you realize the hypocrisy of a retired cop criticizing a physician for their profession being subsidized?

Oh, so who do you think shouid be funding police and fire? Have a raffle?

No, just reminding you not to cast stones.

Ridiculous. Next time you see a bunch of rich cops let me know.

Not sure anyone is proposing free college for as long as you want.

Shut up you stoopid fawkes. My daughter and her friend threw an egg off a five story library building using bar straws and duct tape, and it landed without breaking.

The egg was intact. The amount of time some you use here is fawking irrelevant whenever time is a preventable option.

I'd toss my ass over a bridge for a lollipop and life insurance policy. Pooosays!

Shut up you stoopid fawkes. My daughter and her friend threw an egg off a five story library building using bar straws and duct tape, and it landed without breaking.

The egg was intact. The amount of time some you use here is fawking irrelevant whenever time is a preventable option.

I'd toss my ass over a bridge for a lollipop and life insurance policy. Pooosays!

She should apply for an internship at Kramerica Industries

Although I guess if shes dropping it off a library, it is dropping it off of many many stories.

She did it! You're one of my faves.?