Sign in to follow this  
Gladiators

Would you

Why not? I have multiple sets of good friends who have no kids and they are very happily married. Marriage is about a partnership that does not have to include kids.

• Like 1

The incentive would be less.

Not saying I wouldnt, but part of the point of marriage (IMO) is to provide a stable home for your kids.

No kids, not so much need for stability.

:dunno:

Just curious what the responses would be...I dont think Id get married if I had no intention of having kids. I think Id live the bachelor life and just have fun.

Get married if you had no intention of having kids?

In the process of doing so now.

Having a companion is nice. Having someone there when you go travel and see cool sh!t is nice. Having someone give a Fock about you is nice.

Kids is not the only reason to get married at all.

In the process of doing so now.

Having a companion is nice. Having someone there when you go travel and see cool sh!t is nice. Having someone give a Fock about you is nice.

Kids is not the only reason to get married at all.

I can appreciate this response as well. I think I would have a prenup in place though, which IMO, kind of defeats the purpose of marriage.

Congrats on the engagement.

Just curious what the responses would be...I dont think Id get married if I had no intention of having kids. I think Id live the bachelor life and just have fun.

Interesting question. I don't know that I'd have married my wife (24 years married) if we both didn't want to have kids. I was 26 at the time though, and years later I might have made a different choice. :cheers:

Kids aren't the only reason to stay together or get married.

If something happened to my wife or we got divorced I would not marry again. It's taken her and I this long (20+ years) to learn each other and there's no way I have the patience to learn someone else.

Interesting question. I don't know that I'd have married my wife (24 years married) if we both didn't want to have kids. I was 26 at the time though, and years later I might have made a different choice. :cheers:

Thats why I asked the question.

I suppose at the end of the day, its all the same regardless of whether you have kids. Youre either committed or your not. I just feel like having kids makes it a bit different. I still hold that if I had no intention of having kids, I wouldnt get married.

Thats why I asked the question.

I suppose at the end of the day, its all the same regardless of whether you have kids. Youre either committed or your not. I just feel like having kids makes it a bit different. I still hold that if I had no intention of having kids, I wouldnt get married.

Everyone is different. The bachelor life wouldve gotten old for me. Especially considering as you age, available women all have baggage. Even without kids, I would rather spend my life with my wife than a bunch of randoms. Theres no right way, though. Its all personal preference.

Been there, done that.

Why not? I have multiple sets of good friends who have no kids and they are very happily married. Marriage is about a partnership that does not have to include kids.

We all have those. But I can honestly say that I know of no married couple in my circle that got married and stayed married with the intent of having no kids. I know a few couples that got married with an open ambivalence to having kids, guess what, they have kids.

Already married and no kids to the best of my knowledge

Dude! Where was my invite? :mad:

Also, tell Gypsy congrats. :thumbsup:

I already did

I've been married for 23 years (34C), happily. My wife is the salt of the earth.

If I got divorced now, I'd have to pay her a ton every year...for the rest of my life. Plus child support until they're both on their own, including college.

If she didn't raise my kids while remaining at home the entire time, would I think that she was worth that? No kids? But still half?

Oh. Hell. No. I'm in a no-fault state.

Marriage is a legal contract. Your commitment doesn't have to be. Prenups cannot predict the future, and cannot protect sufficiently.

Having a ceremony in a church, and then a big wedding reception is one thing - go ahead. Having a marriage license, which allows government/law/etc to sink its hooks into you...is another.

No reason to be "legally" married without any intention to have kids.

• Like 1

:D

I found your wedding pic.

SUX---> :o :walkman: <----Gypsy

Can't answer the question; a woman that didn't want kids is not a woman I would have asked out for another date let alone marry.

I did, so yes.

Married life is better, especially when you don't have kids. Don't get me wrong, sleeping with multiple chicks is great, but dating is the suck. You could just be monogamous and unmarried, of course, but as much as I hate to admit it, the act of getting married carries meaning above and beyond cohabitation.

• Like 1

I can appreciate this response as well. I think I would have a prenup in place though, which IMO, kind of defeats the purpose of marriage.

Congrats on the engagement.

Why the prenup?

Can't answer the question; a woman that didn't want kids is not a woman I would have asked out for another date let alone marry.

WHat are you from Alabama?

that's like a guy saying, a 14 year old that don't want the D isn't a 14 year old.

WHat are you from Alabama?

that's like a guy saying, a 14 year old that don't want the D isn't a 14 year old.

You got him wrong. A woman who wanted kids was a priority.

if mutually agreed upon, yes. i would not conceal my intentions of not wanting to have children.

my wife and i were pretty happy without children. at 35, mrs' clock ticked and we stopped prevention. pregnant 3 months later. we would have been happy with or without.

Married life is better, especially when you don't have kids.

No it's not. :wave:

Married life is better, especially when you don't have kids.

there certainly was more freedom. we used to do a lot more (theater, symphony, sports events, travel, dining out- longer meals, social with friends, etc). as the kiddo gets older we are seeing her activities and schedule increase...also getting harder to pull her out of school for travel/vacations.

if mutually agreed upon, yes. i would not conceal my intentions of not wanting to have children.

my wife and i were pretty happy without children. at 35, mrs' clock ticked and we stopped prevention. pregnant 3 months later. we would have been happy with or without.

You'd have been happy with or without. Her, notsomuch. If you believe otherwise you don't know wimmen. :cheers:

Sometimes two people are happily married before having kids, then they do have kids and the marriage falls apart because they dont agree on parenting techniques, and/or they end up spending more effort on raising them than keeping themselves happy together.

Or the kids turn out to be monsters and that makes the marriage more difficult.

Or the wife becomes a crazy person after having the kids.

There may be more...

I did, so yes.

Married life is better, especially when you don't have kids. Don't get me wrong, sleeping with multiple chicks is great, but dating is the suck. You could just be monogamous and unmarried, of course, but as much as I hate to admit it, the act of getting married carries meaning above and beyond cohabitation.

'Married life is better, especially when you don't have kids'. I don't think you needed to put that last part in there; sounds defensive.

Is married life better when you have kids?

You aren't qualified to answer that, but I am. I've been married, both with and without kids. We waited nearly 5 years to have kids, and then had two, a bit more than 4 years apart.

Married life is immeasurably better with kids. There is literally nothing like it, and each new phase of their life keeps making it better; keeps it fresh and interesting. Everything you thought you knew about your relationship before you have kids is a black and white version of what you get once you share the permanent bond of children.

You literally do not know what you're missing. You may think you do; you may think you can replace the idea of kids with career, with nieces and nephews; with charity work and globe-trotting adventures, etc.

But you can't. There is nothing that can strengthen and enhance your marital bond more powerfully than kids.

What you've done is guaranteed all the downsides of a committed relationship with only the slight upside of a mutual understanding that you're legally bound to one another because of the seriousness of the commitment of marriage.

But there's 'marriage' (a ceremony), and there's 'marriage' (a legal commitment). The latter is stupid, and only worth engaging in to ensure the financial well-being of any kids.

If things go south, you're legally bound to one another. Why? What could you possibly gain from that? Of course, it may not matter, if you both have equally economically fruitful careers, etc.

But it may matter a whole lot.

• Like 2

These days, some people treat marriage as just an excuse for a party. I suppose if you can work this out such that No one gets screwed financially, it's theoretically possible.

Most of the married without children couples I know ended up with multiple pets, and they end up treating

the pets like their kids- they even refer to them as “fur babies”...I don’t really get that

Sometimes two people are happily married before having kids, then they do have kids and the marriage falls apart because they dont agree on parenting techniques, and/or they end up spending more effort on raising them than keeping themselves happy together.

Or the kids turn out to be monsters and that makes the marriage more difficult.

Or the wife becomes a crazy person after having the kids.

There may be more...

Absolutely true.

Our kids are great BUT we havent been able to focus on each other in years.

And yes, she became a crazy person. Recovered (for a bit) about 18 months after the first was born so Im holding out hope she returns to normalcy at some point after our second.