Sign in to follow this  
TheBossMan

J Williams GB and A Collins Balt- what is their value next season?

What are your guys thoughts about these 2 players? Both have looked solid this year with the opportunity. Will their teams draft RBs high with the goal of using these 2 as backups to the rookies OR are these two good enough that the teams are confident they can be a lead back and then just draft rookies in the 3rd-6th round?

What is the feeling around here?

Do these two have the lead role to themselves or are they just there now because of injury and lack of other talent?

My feeling is that Collins has a stronger grip that Williams. He could be a bellcow moving forward. I think Williams has to prove himself over the next couple weeks.

What are your guys thoughts about these 2 players? Both have looked solid this year with the opportunity. Will their teams draft RBs high with the goal of using these 2 as backups to the rookies OR are these two good enough that the teams are confident they can be a lead back and then just draft rookies in the 3rd-6th round?

Do these two have the lead role to themselves or are they just there now because of injury and lack of other talent?

My feeling is that Collins has a stronger grip that Williams. He could be a bellcow moving forward. I think Williams has to prove himself over the next couple weeks.

Collins will be affected by what the Ravens decide to do with their forgotten man--Dixon. A lot of people on that team and elsewhere had, and still have, high expectations for Dixon. He's not been a factor due to injury and suspension, so it's hard to tell what his future is. But if he comes back, is the guy people thought he was, and the Ravens keep him, he'd muddy the waters for Collins.

Darn. Totally forgot about Dixon. I was going to say Collins easily. I think Williams and Jones may fight for the starting position next year. Are they moving on from Ty at RB?

No way Collins doesn't get a 50/50 split next year if Dixon is the guy. Collins has earned that and Baltimore likes using multiple backs. If Collins was the man, I'd say 2nd round. If he's splitting then 3rd-6th is right. But then Dixon ends up being the guy with better value probably and can be drafted later.

Darn. Totally forgot about Dixon. I was going to say Collins easily. I think Williams and Jones may fight for the starting position next year. Are they moving on from Ty at RB?

No way Collins doesn't get a 50/50 split next year if Dixon is the guy. Collins has earned that and Baltimore likes using multiple backs. If Collins was the man, I'd say 2nd round. If he's splitting then 3rd-6th is right. But then Dixon ends up being the guy with better value probably and can be drafted later.

If I had to guess, just given that Dixon was only expected to prove himself this year, and Collins really has, that it would be Collins being 'the guy' with Dixon starting off on the short end. But that's just a guess, off-season and pre-season yada yada. Dixon is a guy they have liked, but he's never had the on-field success that Collins is having. Just in the sense that he's never had his shot at being the guy.

just seeing what Collins did against the arch-rival Steelers at Pittsburgh (and keeping in mind he ran rings around them in their first meeting too) has got to be sending reverberations through the coaching staff's minds that will carry well into next year.

just seeing what Collins did against the arch-rival Steelers at Pittsburgh (and keeping in mind he ran rings around them in their first meeting too) has got to be sending reverberations through the coaching staff's minds that will carry well into next year.

Agreed.

Collins just keeps getting better which makes sense since he just got to team at end of preseason. Probably has better grasp of system plays

Dixon flashed some but then faded if I remember

Collins just keeps getting better which makes sense since he just got to team at end of preseason. Probably has better grasp of system plays

Dixon flashed some but then faded if I remember

Dixon never got the reigns. He was always a bit player, guys in the way. They were thinking, I think, that he was likely to be the guy. Then injury and suspension. I had him last year because of potential in a couple places, but he was never given more than a handful of carries a game, iirc.

I wouldn’t trust either. Committee by both no matter what.

A committee of Collins has been start worthy this year so that makes no sense.

I'm assuming the OP was musing from a dynasty perspective, I have both guys on a couple of rosters. Here is what I think FWIW.

The Collins situation is tough to get a good read on, its possible we will get some definitive help in the off-season but not a guarantee.

Collins has been running really hot and seems like a good fit for the offense, he reminds me a bit of Devonta Freeman at this point......... but Collins frame does not engender confidence he can continue to run with that style as a feature RB in the NFL over the long haul, then again neither did Freeman's size though he has a better build IMO.

He is an ERFA (exclusive rights free agent) meaning Balt has the right, but not the obligation to sign him to a one year contract next year for a bit more than a half million. Collins must accept that one year offer if its tendered, so this off-season is a point of maximum leverage for Balt. If they like him a lot, they can offer him a multi-year deal while he knows the best he can do is the paltry sum for 1 yr otherwise.

Watch if they try to work out a longer deal, if Balt really does like him they may try. If they really don't like him, they could let him go back into FA and become available to any team for '18. Most likely he will be playing in Balt next yr on a 1 yr prove it deal.

Given Collins size, Dixon not having proven anything yet, and the team's probable preference to run the ball play and strong D, esp in that division, I think they are a reasonable candidate to take a RB high next year or bring in another strong FA. If a guy they see as a Bell Cow can be had at the point he is a value to them I can see it for sure and I suspect if not they are also a candidate to take another mid-round RB unless they sign Collins longer term............ because he would be on a 1 yr deal, Dixon is coming off injury AND has off-field concerns (currently on suspension), Woodhead is old and got hurt, and Allen is a '19 FA.

Regarding Jamaal Williams.........its never gonna feel great with him IMO. He has baseline athletic ability but not much more juice. Owners are always going to be worried about the potential for a flashier player to emerge. Nevertheless, he can and likely will be a very successful FF RB in that Packers offense and what's really important is what the organization thinks. He has a three down skill set and the Packers are gonna put up stats as long as Arod is around.

I know Jones is flashier, and the more dynamic runner, but the ability to play on all 3 downs AND, very importantly, stay healthy enough to be a bell cow is valued there. It probably helps that GB feels they have gotten exactly what they bargained for when drafting him and used more draft capital on him than the other young RBs. Note the comments I have copy and pasted below from Josh Norris timeline recently.

Unless JWill gets hurt, or something happens that changes the current dynamic, I personally would not expect the Packers to draft a RB high in next years draft given the other team needs. I suspect they should feel backfield is adequate, including competitive depth having invested in the RB position recently.

If the organization has a super high grade on a RB that falls or something, you never know, but they have to put a better team around Rodgers including defense and Oline............. that entire roster is depleted, just hard for me to imagine much draft capital spent on RB.

I do think Jwill will be the starter next year and I think the offense plus his 3 down potential should have him on the low RB1/high RB2 borderline for the '18 season. If you consider that potential, plus his age, I doubt his current "market value" reflects proper pricing.........but as I say its probably never gonna feel great and he will be continually undervalued until the point he gets surpassed or overprices himself with the next contract (years?), and then it will be too late to sell. I think he is a strong hold and absolutely ideal depth because I suspect it will be hard to get what I see as his value...........at least until fall drafts roll and he is being taken in the RB10-15 range, then you may have a chance to get fair value from the right guy.

Josh Norris

Verified account @JoshNorris
FollowingFollowing @JoshNorris
More

Josh Norris Retweeted Aaron Nagler

GB nailed their evaluation of Jamaal Williams and detailed it back in April: "Good at pass protection. Aggressive downhill runner. Tough. Built to last...size plays a factor in evaluation when considering cold weather, wearing down opponents. Hammer" http://www.

Josh Norris added,

• Like 1

I wouldn't put much keeper value on either one. I think Jones has more talent than Williams. Collins is a talented power runner, but I don't think he's a complete back. Also, he did what he did to Pitt without Shazier. They'll get a new ILB that will be better than the #2 they had in there during that game.

I'm assuming the OP was musing from a dynasty perspective, I have both guys on a couple of rosters. Here is what I think FWIW.

The Collins situation is tough to get a good read on, its possible we will get some definitive help in the off-season but not a guarantee.

Collins has been running really hot and seems like a good fit for the offense, he reminds me a bit of Devonta Freeman at this point......... but Collins frame does not engender confidence he can continue to run with that style as a feature RB in the NFL over the long haul, then again neither did Freeman's size though he has a better build IMO.

He is an ERFA (exclusive rights free agent) meaning Balt has the right, but not the obligation to sign him to a one year contract next year for a bit more than a half million. Collins must accept that one year offer if its tendered, so this off-season is a point of maximum leverage for Balt. If they like him a lot, they can offer him a multi-year deal while he knows the best he can do is the paltry sum for 1 yr otherwise.

Watch if they try to work out a longer deal, if Balt really does like him they may try. If they really don't like him, they could let him go back into FA and become available to any team for '18. Most likely he will be playing in Balt next yr on a 1 yr prove it deal.

Given Collins size, Dixon not having proven anything yet, and the team's probable preference to run the ball play and strong D, esp in that division, I think they are a reasonable candidate to take a RB high next year or bring in another strong FA. If a guy they see as a Bell Cow can be had at the point he is a value to them I can see it for sure and I suspect if not they are also a candidate to take another mid-round RB unless they sign Collins longer term............ because he would be on a 1 yr deal, Dixon is coming off injury AND has off-field concerns (currently on suspension), Woodhead is old and got hurt, and Allen is a '19 FA.

Regarding Jamaal Williams.........its never gonna feel great with him IMO. He has baseline athletic ability but not much more juice. Owners are always going to be worried about the potential for a flashier player to emerge. Nevertheless, he can and likely will be a very successful FF RB in that Packers offense and what's really important is what the organization thinks. He has a three down skill set and the Packers are gonna put up stats as long as Arod is around.

I know Jones is flashier, and the more dynamic runner, but the ability to play on all 3 downs AND, very importantly, stay healthy enough to be a bell cow is valued there. It probably helps that GB feels they have gotten exactly what they bargained for when drafting him and used more draft capital on him than the other young RBs. Note the comments I have copy and pasted below from Josh Norris timeline recently.

Unless JWill gets hurt, or something happens that changes the current dynamic, I personally would not expect the Packers to draft a RB high in next years draft given the other team needs. I suspect they should feel backfield is adequate, including competitive depth having invested in the RB position recently.

If the organization has a super high grade on a RB that falls or something, you never know, but they have to put a better team around Rodgers including defense and Oline............. that entire roster is depleted, just hard for me to imagine much draft capital spent on RB.

I do think Jwill will be the starter next year and I think the offense plus his 3 down potential should have him on the low RB1/high RB2 borderline for the '18 season. If you consider that potential, plus his age, I doubt his current "market value" reflects proper pricing.........but as I say its probably never gonna feel great and he will be continually undervalued until the point he gets surpassed or overprices himself with the next contract (years?), and then it will be too late to sell. I think he is a strong hold and absolutely ideal depth because I suspect it will be hard to get what I see as his value...........at least until fall drafts roll and he is being taken in the RB10-15 range, then you may have a chance to get fair value from the right guy.

Josh Norris added,

Making sense on the Collins part. Green Bay doesn't typically worry all that much about an RB's ability to bust big plays. They rode Lacy for a number of years, and he really never had more than size and 'for his size nifty footwork'. Ahman Green was the last #1 guy they've had with much ability to break anything.

I drafted him in the 9th round as a keeper but dropped him halfway through year. You get to keep them at 2 rds higher than drafted and my buddy said hes keeping as a 7th rounder if that matters