Sign in to follow this  
JustinCharge

So what if the Chargers win HFA in the AFC title game? They won't!

Chargers are playing great defense unlike the Chiefs. I think that's more important than Gordon, especially with Ekeler backing him up. I think this is the best team Rivers has ever had. There's a good chance that the Chargers claim the #1 seed in the AFC. Does that mean they are playing 2 playoff home games in that soccer stadium or will they actually move to a different venue?

Problem the chargers have is that they don't have a home fan base to give them much of an advantage at home, and LAC has to travel to KC, Pit and Denver still. The Chiefs are already 3-0 in the division having swept Denver and beat LAC on the road. LAC have already lost two division games and it seems unlikely the Chiefs would lose more than 1 and at best the LAC can split the head-to-head, so that means the Chargers probably need to finish a game better than the Chiefs. Plus KC's remaining opponents are 26-31 while LAC's remaining opponents are 32-20-1. A lot could still happen, but KC is still in the driver's seat.

Also "good chance" of claiming the top spot in the AFC is saying a lot, with 2 other teams at 8-3 and Pit who they still have to play on the road sitting at 7-3-1.

Chargers are playing great defense unlike the Chiefs. I think that's more important than Gordon, especially with Ekeler backing him up. I think this is the best team Rivers has ever had. There's a good chance that the Chargers claim the #1 seed in the AFC. Does that mean they are playing 2 playoff home games in that soccer stadium or will they actually move to a different venue?

They can't fill that soccer stadium why would they move it? Also, saying there's a good chance they get the #1 sounds a lot like a homer talking.

They can't fill that soccer stadium why would they move it? Also, saying there's a good chance they get the #1 sounds a lot like a homer talking.

they'll probably lose to Pit this week :dunno:

That would bode well for them if they do.

People seem to be sleeping on them but if they pull that off, it will be hard to do.

Also "good chance" of claiming the top spot in the AFC is saying a lot, with 2 other teams at 8-3 and Pit who they still have to play on the road sitting at 7-3-1.

The thing is that the Chargers have a super bowl caliber defense. They can do it even with that schedule. They might get torched in one of those big games but i expect the d to hold in at least 2 of them. I know they had some losses earlier in the year but the chargers are very scary. They are a lot better than the steelers.

The thing is that the Chargers have a super bowl caliber defense. They can do it even with that schedule. They might get torched in one of those big games but i expect the d to hold in at least 2 of them. I know they had some losses earlier in the year but the chargers are very scary. They are a lot better than the steelers.

I think you're over selling this team and defense a bit. They're a good team and it wouldn't completely shock me to see them deep in the playoffs, but I'm still skeptical that they are among the leagues elite teams. Their schedule thus far has been one of the easiest in the NFL. They don't have a signature win and have lost to arguably the three best teams they've played. The Seahawks are the only team they've beat that has a winning record at 6-5. With the toughest part of their schedule coming up, they have a chance to put themselves into the elite tier of teams if they can manage to go 4-1 or 5-0. However, I think they end the year going 3-2 or 2-3.

I think you're over selling this team and defense a bit. They're a good team and it wouldn't completely shock me to see them deep in the playoffs, but I'm still skeptical that they are among the leagues elite teams. Their schedule thus far has been one of the easiest in the NFL. They don't have a signature win and have lost to arguably the three best teams they've played. The Seahawks are the only team they've beat that has a winning record at 6-5. With the toughest part of their schedule coming up, they have a chance to put themselves into the elite tier of teams if they can manage to go 4-1 or 5-0. However, I think they end the year going 3-2 or 2-3.

Statistically i crunch the defensive numbers on historical super bowl champs and over the past month the chargers defense has been posting numbers that champions put up, especially with bosa back. They are an elite defense, a champion defense.

Statistically i crunch the defensive numbers on historical super bowl champs and over the past month the chargers defense has been posting numbers that champions put up, especially with bosa back. They are an elite defense, a champion defense.

Once again schedule matters. The Rams and Chiefs put up 35 & 38 points against them. Over the past two months they have played the 49ers, Raiders twice, the Browns, Titans, Seahawks, Broncos and Cardinals. Not a single high quality offensive team. They're beating bad teams, which good teams should. The question is, are they able to beat good teams? So far it's been a no, but they have the opportunity to change that. I'm just not sure they will.

I think the seahawks make the playoffs and would be your signature win, but you certainly dont need a signature win. The giants didnt have one in 2007 off the top of my head.

Once again schedule matters. The Rams and Chiefs put up 35 & 38 points against them. Over the past two months they have played the 49ers, Raiders twice, the Browns, Titans, Seahawks, Broncos and Cardinals. Not a single high quality offensive team. They're beating bad teams, which good teams should. The question is, are they able to beat good teams? So far it's been a no, but they have the opportunity to change that. I'm just not sure they will.

The thing is other teams have stretches where they dont face great offenses but their defenses do not post the numbers the chargers are posting.

I can't wait till Dec 13 so we can shut this bs down

Chargers have been known to have late-season collapses. Losing Gordon might just help history repeat itself. It wouldn't shock me if they lost 3 of the next four games.

They prolly sneak into the playoffs....and then anything can happen, esp with a healthy Gordon back.

When pit wins does this thread go away? Or do we have to wait until week 15?

. I think this is the best team Rivers has ever had. ?

They won 4 straight division titles from 06-09 with a combined 46-18 record. That was with prime Tomlinson and Gates. On paper, they were the best team in the AFC a couple of those years.

They won 4 straight division titles from 06-09 with a combined 46-18 record. That was with prime Tomlinson and Gates. On paper, they were the best team in the AFC a couple of those years.

On paper I say the 2018 Chargers are the best team in the NFL.

Look the the Chargers here at this end. Controlling the line of scrimmage in Pittsburgh, blowing open lanes and even the third string RB is well coached and hitting those holes perfectly. Just chewing them up.

This aged well

They are playing well, I will give them that. There's also a chance they beat KC in week 15. But to take home field a LOT would still need to happen. And for what it's worth, LAC's 9 wins have come against teams with a 35-59-2 record (and I didn't count the Raider's record twice) and their 3 losses have come against teams with a combined 27-9 record. In fact, the only teams the Chargers have beat who own a winning record are Seattle (7-5) and Pittsburgh (7-4-1).

Not taking any of this into consideration, you also have to remember playoff seeding goes by record, head-to-head and then division record. Since the only team in competition for HOA the Chargers have played or will play are the Chiefs (L), at best they can split with the Chiefs but after that here is your current Division records for these teams:

KC 4-0

NE 3-0

Hou 3-1

LAC 2-2

Even if this thread didn't go away after the game against Pitt, it still probably should have.

Look, coaching the Chargers defense is easy. You've got Joey Bosa who will kill 1-2 drives per game with QB pressure. You've got S Derwin James who is the steal of the draft and is another Ed Reed / Kam Chancellor type that will kill 1-2 drives per game. When you have an elite pass rusher and elite safety, you just cover deep and force offenses to march 15 plays to score a TD because you bet that somewhere along the way, one of those 2 will wreck that drive. That's how you build an elite super bowl defense. That's exactly what this is. A super bowl defense.

The Steelers got behind the Chargers on the first drive by hitting Brown for 46 yards. The second drive was a crucial PI call putting the Steelers first and goal at the 1 both times. Once they cleaned that up, the Chargers dominated. If the Chargers don't win the super bowl, it will be because some team repeatedly hit the deep ball.

I'll go to war with any team in the NFL with this defense.

Not taking any of this into consideration, you also have to remember playoff seeding goes by record, head-to-head and then division record. Since the only team in competition for HOA the Chargers have played or will play are the Chiefs (L), at best they can split with the Chiefs but after that here is your current Division records for these teams:

KC 4-0

NE 3-0

Hou 3-1

LAC 2-2

KC vs LAC vs NE vs Hou can never take place in a straight up tie-breaker step for seed or wildcard.

If these 4 teams all ended up with the same record, first you'd have to narrow down KC vs LAC (H2H, then division record). Let's pretend the Chargers advance out of that...

Then it's LAC vs Hou vs NE using:

H2H, Conference Record and then Common Games.

In other words, two tied division foes always get sorted out before any other step.

Division record only matters when determining in-division seeding or advancement. It then becomes obsolete... replaced by Conference Record.

HFA is not an official abbreviation. WTF. Took me awhile to figure out what it meant.

• Like 1

They are playing well, I will give them that. There's also a chance they beat KC in week 15. But to take home field a LOT would still need to happen. And for what it's worth, LAC's 9 wins have come against teams with a 35-59-2 record (and I didn't count the Raider's record twice) and their 3 losses have come against teams with a combined 27-9 record. In fact, the only teams the Chargers have beat who own a winning record are Seattle (7-5) and Pittsburgh (7-4-1).

KC 4-0

NE 3-0

Hou 3-1

LAC 2-2

Even if this thread didn't go away after the game against Pitt, it still probably should have.

I agree with all that just couldnt resist busting Geek balls. On the note...Mahomies!!! :banana:

HFA is not an official abbreviation. WTF. Took me awhile to figure out what it meant.

This. Can we not just say "home field"? Does EVERTHING have to be abbreviated. SMH. WTF. IDK.

Some clarity after this weekend.

Chargers sitting at 10-3. If they end the season as a wild card, they are fairly certain to travel to the winner of the AFC North. That means a trip to either Pittsburgh, or Baltimore or even Cleveland. The Chargers are 2-1 vs the Steelers in the playoffs including a win in the AFC championship game propelling them to their only Super Bowl. All 3 games were in Pittsburgh and a 4th would also be in Pittsburgh if the Chargers are a wild card and the Steelers are AFC North champs. The Chargers have never played the Ravens nor the Browns in the playoffs. Chargers would be the favorite regardless which would send them next to Kansas City as the Chiefs are very likely to get the #1 seed if they are division champs.

The Chargers win the AFC West they also are fairly certain to win the #1 seed / HFA / home field advantage. The Chiefs would be fairly certain of being the wild card that travels to the winner of the AFC North. The Chiefs would the favorite regardless which would send them next to Loa Angeles to play the Chargers.

The Chiefs and Chargers seem destined to meet in the playoffs in round 2 no matter how the season ends.

The Patriots and Texans can fight it out for rights to the other slot in the AFC title game.

Some clarity after this weekend.

Chargers sitting at 10-3. If they end the season as a wild card, they are fairly certain to travel to the winner of the AFC North. That means a trip to either Pittsburgh, or Baltimore or even Cleveland. The Chargers are 2-1 vs the Steelers in the playoffs including a win in the AFC championship game propelling them to their only Super Bowl. All 3 games were in Pittsburgh and a 4th would also be in Pittsburgh if the Chargers are a wild card and the Steelers are AFC North champs. The Chargers have never played the Ravens nor the Browns in the playoffs. Chargers would be the favorite regardless which would send them next to Kansas City as the Chiefs are very likely to get the #1 seed if they are division champs.

The Chargers win the AFC West they also are fairly certain to win the #1 seed / HFA / home field advantage. The Chiefs would be fairly certain of being the wild card that travels to the winner of the AFC North. The Chiefs would the favorite regardless which would send them next to Loa Angeles to play the Chargers.

The Chiefs and Chargers seem destined to meet in the playoffs in round 2 no matter how the season ends.

The Patriots and Texans can fight it out for rights to the other slot in the AFC title game.

Ravens beat the other wild card host and it changes everything

I don't see any rational way how the Chargers get the 1 seed, even if we win this Thursday, Chiefs hold tiebreaker, and I don't see them losing either of the other 2 games

You don't see a way for them to get it? The Chargers win out and the Chiefs lose at Seattle. Chargers 13-3 and Chiefs 12-4.

Ravens beat the other wild card host and it changes everything

I have a hard time favoring them to win a playoff game without a franchise QB. The Colts might even snipe the 6.

They will choke, like every other time they finish with a good record.

I have the Seahawks as the 3rd best team in the NFL behind the Chargers and Saints so Chiefs should lose next week and there's your path to the #1 seed and packing that tiny stadium for home playoff games lol.

I was wrong about the Chargers. They don't look flashy but they get the job done. Now they just need to prove they can do it in the playoffs.

Like Andy Reid, they most likely won't

I have the Seahawks as the 3rd best team in the NFL behind the Chargers and Saints so Chiefs should lose next week and there's your path to the #1 seed and packing that tiny stadium for home playoff games lol.

SEA is a tough team, I cant deny that but LAR defeated them twice. In no way can one conclude SEA > LAR

Philip Rivers IS the Chargers, which is why they'll be an afterthought again this NFL season. Reason why? He can't handle the playoff pressure. In nine playoff games Rivers has averaged 216 yards passing with 11 TDs and 9 INTs, and an 84 passer rating. Until he proves he can get it done when it counts I can't take that team seriously.