Sign in to follow this  
Vikings4ever

Chiefs cut Jeremy Maclin

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/06/02/chiefs-dump-jeremy-maclin/

The Chiefs are partying like it’s 2005.

More than a decade after the NFL made it easier to part ways with veteran players in March instead of June, the Chiefs opted to hold receiver Jeremy Maclin on the roster until June 2, before surprisingly cutting him in the kind of post-June 1 move that used to be commonplace.

It sounds permanent, and not merely an effort to bring him back at a lower rate after he tests the market.

Very interesting move for a team with little Wr depth.

I'm not sold that T Hill can be counted on weekly as a teams wr1.

• Like 1

Seems it was a cap cut. Big arrow up for Kelce. No idea if Conley will show any more than he already has(n't). Hill's likely target bump will put him into wr2 range I'd expect, but I think KC is going to run a lot more this year.

I like it for Maclins value. Let's see where he lands

I bet the Niners and Rams are interested. Ravens would make some sense.

Bills (maybe). I'm trying to think of Eagles connections and new HC Sean McDermott would have been in Philly for the first two years of Maclin's NFL career. He could be a lead WR for the Jets, but I doubt he'd put himself into that situation. Same with the Bears. I doubt the Cowboys given their annual cap situation.

I bet the Niners and Rams are interested. Ravens would make some sense.

Bills (maybe). I'm trying to think of Eagles connections and new HC Sean McDermott would have been in Philly for the first two years of Maclin's NFL career. He could be a lead WR for the Jets, but I doubt he'd put himself into that situation. Same with the Bears. I doubt the Cowboys given their annual cap situation.

I am a big Cameron Meredith be liver, so I hope not the Bears. Jets are the only place I see that is void of talent you mentioned, though their qb situation is horse chit.

I guess Chris Conley, Albert Wilson, Tyreek Hill, DeAnthony Thomas and Jehu Chesson are the guys the Chiefs are now counting on :dunno:

Well, Alex Smith is headed toward a harder year. Maybe this is the plan.

Then the Chiefs can justify replacing him.

I'm not sure how much room either one of these teams have.

But I think some positive landing spots for Maclin could be?

Browns, reading that Coleman is still having problems with his health already.

Zona, I know they still have the aging Fitz and things are looking good for a positive return for J Brown.

But this season i think will be the last for both L Fitz and Palmer, this team might just take a shot to win now.

Packers, they need to replace Cobb.

Jags, they can use a over the middle type of Wr to help Bortles.

Seahawks, this will give Wilson a very good check down Wr.

Now if you know any of these teams cap space post it. I surly don't.

Zona, I know they still have the aging Fitz and things are looking good for a positive return for J Brown.

But this season i think will be the last for both L Fitz and Palmer, this team might just take a shot to win now.

Seattle wouldn't be able to afford him. And for your checkdwn theory. I think this is what they want Prosise to turn into.

Seems it was a cap cut. Big arrow up for Kelce. No idea if Conley will show any more than he already has(n't). Hill's likely target bump will put him into wr2 range I'd expect, but I think KC is going to run a lot more this year.

I heard cap related myself. The rumor I keep hearing is that while OK this year. They're in really big cap trouble for 2018.

Maybe a KC fan could confirm or refute this.

Bears are a good spot

Maclin would be a good pick up for several teams.

I don't know how much he will cost but I don't think it will be a huge number.

He's not going to be the 2nd coming of Randy Moss or anything but he's a solid veteran WR who can get the job done week in week out.

If he ends up in the right spot I could see WR2 potential. If he ends up in a less than desirable spot he's decent depth.

I can see the Patriots making that happen.

Yeah I think the Bears would be a good spot also.

Agree with your post Polecatt.

I agree Prosise does indeed seems to be the guy the Seahawks want in that role.

Honestly? Not sure if LA has the cap space, but it would be smart for them to add a veteran wr just to mentor their corp.

Honestly? Not sure if LA has the cap space, but it would be smart for them to add a veteran wr just to mentor their corp.

I like that spot also.

I heard cap related myself. The rumor I keep hearing is that while OK this year. They're in really big cap trouble for 2018.

Maybe a KC fan could confirm or refute this.

The release of Maclin clears $10 million cap space since he was a post June 1 cut.

— Terez A. Paylor (@TerezPaylor) June 2, 2017

Ian RapoportVerified account @RapSheet 17h17 hours ago

A surprise: The #Chiefs released WR Jeremy Maclin. He had a $12.4M cap hit... and $7M in dead money.

6:37 PM - 2 Jun 2017

Also, if you watched the Chiefs last year, Maclin of 2016 didn't look like Maclin of old. At times you might see flashes, but what did he average 3-5 catches per game with at most one big play? Yeah you can't spend that kind of money on that kind of production. It appears the Chiefs will rely heavily on Tyreek Hill, and are hoping to get more production out of Conley and Wilson if you ask me. Now I'm going to go back and check Maclin's game stats after throwing out a guess...

http://www.nfl.com/player/jeremymaclin/80429/gamelogs

More like 4-6 catches per game, but not one 100-yard game all season long. Also looking at his long catch each game, you see a 44 and a 38, but other than that most are closer to 20. Maybe the Chiefs saw his production declining and with the cap implications simply felt it was time to move on.

This article was posted on the Chiefs official website a week ago:

Chiefs WR Jeremy Maclin: "I’ve Got Something to Prove"
Posted May 24, 2017

BJ Kissel
Chiefs Reporter

Just three days after getting married, Kansas City Chiefs veteran wide receiver Jeremy Maclin was back on the practice field, surrounded by several of the guys, which included coach Andy Reid, who made the four-hour trip to St. Louis to see Maclin get hitched on Saturday night.

Rather than taking a quick honeymoon and returning for these voluntary workouts next week or the week after, Maclin was back putting in work with his teammates.

“Like I said when we first started, I’ve got something to prove,” Maclin explained of returning to Kansas City. “I struggled a little bit last year with injuries and everything else, and I’m healthy and I’m looking forward to getting this thing back on the road.”

After putting together back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons in 2014-15, which included his first year in Kansas City (2015)—when he finished with 87 receptions for 1,088 yards with eight touchdowns—Maclin dealt with the sudden loss of a friend and a groin injury that sidelined him for a month in the middle of the season.

For a few different reasons, it was a tough season for Maclin. He finished last year with 44 receptions for 536 yards and two touchdowns. It was the lowest output of his eight-year career, although Maclin isn’t the only one who takes responsibility for those numbers.

Quarterback Alex Smith said it’s on him as well, and it’s something he’s thought about during the offseason.

“Absolutely. I think about it a lot,” Smith noted. “It’s tough. Both of us are in on that and vice versa. For a lot of reasons, we weren’t as productive as we could be and should have been. I’m looking forward to the remedy in that.”

“I’m looking forward to getting back to what he and I used to do,” Maclin added.

For the second straight year last year, the Chiefs’ season ended with a loss in the divisional round of the playoffs.

Smith said getting back on the field with Maclin and others working towards next season is the best way to move on from those losses.

“Every guy is probably different,” Smith said. “Getting back here is a big step. Getting back really kicks off the start of this next season. We were in Phase I and moved on to Phase II, and now we’ve got live throws against a defense and we’re playing. It’s nice to have those (workouts) to help flush that. We’ll be able to use that down the line if we ever get in that situation again. We’ll be able to lean on that for the guys that have been through it.

“For now, the focus is looking forward and moving on and it helps to be playing football again to do that.”

Maclin—the newlywed, is only looking towards the future as well.

“It was hard for me last year,” Maclin added. “My mindset is to get back to doing what I love, and that’s play football. It’s also doing the little things in the process to be successful.”

From big things like getting married to little things like proper footwork and technique, Maclin, Smith and the rest of the Chiefs will take the field again Wednesday afternoon for the second practice of OTAs.

Also, if you watched the Chiefs last year, Maclin of 2016 didn't look like Maclin of old. At times you might see flashes, but what did he average 3-5 catches per game with at most one big play? Yeah you can't spend that kind of money on that kind of production. It appears the Chiefs will rely heavily on Tyreek Hill, and are hoping to get more production out of Conley and Wilson if you ask me. Now I'm going to go back and check Maclin's game stats after throwing out a guess...

Wilson is terrible imo. I wouldn't count on him as anything more than a bit player if I was the Chiefs

I guess Chris Conley, Albert Wilson, Tyreek Hill, DeAnthony Thomas and Jehu Chesson are the guys the Chiefs are now counting on :dunno:

Is that Demarco Robinson dude still around?

He's only 29. Keeping a veteran like Maclin around would have been good for the development of Patrick Mahomes, and Mahomes may have been able to get him the ball in places Alex Smith couldn't.

Is that Demarco Robinson dude still around?

Yes, he and the rookie sounds like they like a lot

Cap space aside, I think cutting Maclin will be a mistake.

So the walrus was at his wedding and they cut him less than a week later? I'm buying for a nice revenge year

More opportunites for Kelce and Tyreek Hill, I suppose. :shocking:

I hope they give Hill a fulltime gig. The more you hit a small fast guy, the slower he gets.

And the more you hit them, the more the head tends to be on a swivel and the more they tend to drop the ball.

This move makes me love Hunt just a bit more. I hope nobody else catches on.

This move makes me love Hunt just a bit more. I hope nobody else catches on.

kinda what ive been thinking.

eta: sorry for catching on.