Sign in to follow this  
TBayXXXVII

Best record... still miss playoffs... and got kicked out! LOL

I am in a 12-team league that has 4 divisions of 3 teams ($200 buy-in plus real money FABB - my total input in the league this year is $310). Their reasoning for this setup is to have everyone play a division opponent 2 times and everyone else in the league once. This is my second year in the league, the other 11 are the founding members. Here's the situation. I am eliminated from the playoffs with a 10-2 record. I am in second place in my division to the guy who is 11-1. I play him this week and we both can finish 11-2 if I win. I am already #1 in points (90 points ahead of #3), he's #2, so if I do beat him, I'll obviously finish ahead of him and most likely #1 overall.

The league gives out award money for certain things, such as most points, best record, best player, and a few others. All tie-breakers for awards are solely based on points. So, if I win this week, I will win the award for best record ($50), and the award for most points ($50). But, because the league standings tie-breakers are based on head-to-head / then division / then total points, I will not win my division because I will be 2-2 in my division while the other guy will be 3-1.

I sent out an email to the league describing the situation (similar to the above), and asked if we can look into changing some rules for NEXT season, as I don't think it's fair that you have a team in your league who technically has the best record and the most points, but misses the playoffs. I suggested having the standings tie-breakers be settled the same way the awards are settled. Or, come up with something else. I got this response in a email from the league commissioner:

"We all would like to thank you for being apart of out league over these last 2 seasons but in light of your making trouble for the league, we regret to inform you that we are officially removing you from our league. Good luck in your future fantasy football league(s)"

They have since removed my email from from the league membership so I no longer have the rights to my team.

I'm going to wait until tomorrow morning to send out the following email...

"I would like to thank all of you for allowing me to be a part of you league over the last 2 seasons and winning a lot of money ($1,200). Since the league guidelines say "All League Members must pay all dues when after the end of the regular season if you did not make the playoffs", I would like to thank you for saving me my $310 in fees now that I don't have to pay them. Because you have officially kicked me out and removed my access to the league, I am no longer a league member and not subject to rules of league members."

I think that will be a valid response. No?

• Like 1

I'm thinking there's more to the story.

Nope. I never once talked or emailed anyone in that league in the 2 years I've been in. I don't know anyone other than the one friend who asked if I wanted to join their league. Other than saying "Hi" on draft night (both times), I never talked to anyone. I don't even know who everyone is. I just set my lineup every week and put in for my free agents. My friend gave me the email address of the guy I replaced... he got kicked out too. He told me that he was in for 3 years and asked to possibly change a rule. They kicked him out for the same reason. To note, they did make the change he ask for AFTER they kicked him out.

Also, my friend said the commissioner sent out a league email asking members to look for a replacement AND to change the rules as per my suggestion.

Nope. I never once talked or emailed anyone in that league in the 2 years I've been in. I don't know anyone other than the one friend who asked if I wanted to join their league. Other than saying "Hi" on draft night (both times), I never talked to anyone. I don't even know who everyone is. I just set my lineup every week and put in for my free agents. My friend gave me the email address of the guy I replaced... he got kicked out too. He told me that he was in for 3 years and asked to possibly change a rule. They kicked him out for the same reason. To note, they did make the change he ask for AFTER they kicked him out.

Also, my friend said the commissioner sent out a league email asking members to look for a replacement AND to change the rules as per my suggestion.

Looks like you got the Eli treatment. Sucks.

Looks like you got the Eli treatment. Sucks.

I'm not upset, I just find it funny. These guys don't want change brought up to them by "outsiders". I won money last year and I'm keeping my fees for this year, so I say screw 'em. I don't know them.

I agree the tie-breakers are dumb, the league should change them. Does this league only have 4 teams in the playoffs????? They should have the 4 divisionwinners and then two wildcards in the playoffs. The #1 and #2 seeded division winners get a bye. I also agree that they shouldn't kick you out of the

league.

However, I especially HATE people that don't pay up. You agreed to the league. You saw the rules before you started. You got unlucky.

They should pay you the possible $100 for best record and points (if you win) and you should pay what you OWE.

One last thing. If they locked you out for this week and you can't submit a lineup then you shouldn't pay up. Then they didn't follow the rules agreed

upon.

First, it sounds like a stupid league, and if they are thinking of changing the rules, then they must think so, too.

Second, they're stupid if they threw you out before they got your money.

Screw 'em. You're spending the same amount of money that you would if you joined a high stakes league, where they aren't thin-skinned and listen to customers who make constructive suggestions to make the league better. It's a better, more honest system but without the weekly payout.

I agree the tie-breakers are dumb, the league should change them. Does this league only have 4 teams in the playoffs????? They should have the 4 divisionwinners and then two wildcards in the playoffs. The #1 and #2 seeded division winners get a bye. I also agree that they shouldn't kick you out of the

league.

However, I especially HATE people that don't pay up. You agreed to the league. You saw the rules before you started. You got unlucky.

They should pay you the possible $100 for best record and points (if you win) and you should pay what you OWE.

One last thing. If they locked you out for this week and you can't submit a lineup then you shouldn't pay up. Then they didn't follow the rules agreed

upon.

The 4 division winners make the playoffs and seeded 1 through 4. The first round is week 14 and championship is week 15.

I do plan on paying the money I owe... less the amount I would win (I just want to scare them). Besides, it's not a guarantee that it even happens. I just sent out the email suggesting a change because it's something that could happen and they may want to avoid it. Yes, they did lock me out and removed me from the site. I can't get it. I don't even know if I got the free agents I bid on.

As I said above, I just think it's really funny that I could be considered the best team in the league by having the best record and have the most points and still not make the playoffs. I didn't complain, just brought up a scenario for change. Then, out of nowhere, I got kicked out. I'm not really complaining either, cause as you said, it's the rules and I knew them before I joined.

league.

upon.

I'm sort of with you, but sort of not. In money leagues, particularly one where you have a $310 commitment, it's a partnership. It doesn't even sound like he was complaining about not making the playoffs, just saying can we take this into consideration for next year. Getting kicked out for that is unreasonable at best. In locking him out of his team, I agree completely, he owes nothing. Even if he had paid the initial $200 buy-in, a big FU is order for the FA $ they were going to want.

All in all, i think you're better off not being the League of Extraordinary Douches. :cheers:

I wouldn't pay. They have no valid reason to lock your account. Fock them.

If there really isn't more to the story then FOCK THEM! You should be able to make a suggestion without being thrown out. You don't want to be in a league like that anyway. Again, this is all assuming you didn't leave out the part where you focked the commish's wife and kicked his dog...

I just hate the wording of his response to you.

Either he's a lawyer, or he's the most passive aggressive ###### of a man I've heard of in a long time.

Who talks like that?

Either he's a lawyer, or he's the most passive aggressive ###### of a man I've heard of in a long time.

Who talks like that?

the blurred out word was b ! tch

Those dudes are just weird. And probably not the type of people you would want to have any contact with in life not to mention FF.

Glad it worked out that you hadn't sent your money to them. You should just eliminate them from your contact list.

I've disagreed with you about plenty, but I am on your side on this one.

That's a stupid league with very stupid rules. They don't seem open to suggestion so I think their actions of locking you out prior to the end of the regular season justifies your actions.

Who talks like that?

LOL, he IS a lawyer... an old crudgy (62-year old), lawyer.

Hopefully this douche didn't have you sign any legally binding document with very small print to play in the league. Thinking Judge Judy episode waiting to happen. Seriously run far away from this group of clowns..

They are idiots for locking you out now....and you should not pay.

Also, dues should be collected at the beginning of the season. Weird.

They're all friends and family, I'm the only outsider, so I thought nothing weird about it. Besides, in my keeper league that I'm the commissioner of, we don't even collect money. I just figure out how much goes where and I tell people to PayPal or Venmo what they owe to whomever gets it. Like that leagues, we're all friends and family. People will get paid. Never takes more than 2 or 3 days for everyone to get paid.

Hopefully this douche didn't have you sign any legally binding document with very small print to play in the league. Thinking Judge Judy episode waiting to happen. Seriously run far away from this group of clowns..

No, didn't sign anything.

Hmmm....okay I sorta skimmed through all of the posts but I'm curious about one thing:

You said, they kicked another guy out for the same reason...

Wasn't that a red flag to you to not go about business the same way?

If you wanted to make a change to the league rules, (and I'm not saying you did anything wrong because they clearly are wrong here) but maybe a different tactic was in order to implement change?

Perhaps making the suggestion, but informing them upfront you were aware of your predecessor being booted for the same reason and if it happens to you, they wouldn't collect money from you?

Or contacting the other players and gaining their support (probably not likely since you've said they're all friends and family but maybe worth a try) before making the request to the commish?

Hmmm....okay I sorta skimmed through all of the posts but I'm curious about one thing:

If you wanted to make a change to the league rules, (and I'm not saying you did anything wrong because they clearly are wrong here) but maybe a different tactic was in order to implement change?

Perhaps making the suggestion, but informing them upfront you were aware of your predecessor being booted for the same reason and if it happens to you, they wouldn't collect money from you?

Or contacting the other players and gaining their support (probably not likely since you've said they're all friends and family but maybe worth a try) before making the request to the commish?

My take on that would be, why cater to lunatics? Sucks to have lost a season of play, but at least not all is lost in the end. No cash for them!

I didn't know the other guy was kicked out for the same reason until after I had been kicked out. When I initially joined the league, I was told that the guy who left wanted to be in a league that didn't cost so much money.

In retrospect, nah, I'm glad things worked out this way. That's not a league I want to be a part of.

They probably found a friend to replace you and are making excuses to get him in the league. Or theyre just a bunch of dickheads lol.

Either way theres no way Id pay the league fees either after they locked your team. Even if they backtrack after your last email and let you finish out the season I still wouldnt pay. Id tell them Im now giving them a real reason to call you a troublemaker since there wasnt one in the first place. Deal with it!

league.

upon.

I also dont like people who dont pay, but If they wont let him play out the season, set his lineup and play, then he's not getting his money's worth.

so not paying is a legit option. Especially if he potentially had prize money coming to him.

It's like paying for a service, you dont receive said service (at least not all that was agreed upon) and now you are expected to pay the full price? Seems odd to me.

so in this case, there may be some merit to this.

either way it sure sounds like league managment hasnt been all that bright. You should ALWAYS demand payment up front before the league year begins.

That's the first big mistake.

Kicking someone out without any kind of a fair or reasonable hearing(meeting) to discuss also seems out of line.

The rules dont make sense either, but that could be a league thing. if everyone agrees, you cannot blame league management for this.

either way, I wouldnt want to be in a league like this, so maybe they did you a favor.

I didn't know the other guy was kicked out for the same reason until after I had been kicked out. When I initially joined the league, I was told that the guy who left wanted to be in a league that didn't cost so much money.

In retrospect, nah, I'm glad things worked out this way. That's not a league I want to be a part of.

Ah I see now, makes more sense. I agree 1000 percent with you, they aren't worth your time.

It's just bizarre they would kick you out for requesting a rule change? What the hell type of league is that anyway?

As the commish for my own league, I'm bothered by it as a outsider looking in.

I wouldn't pay them a dime, and I bet your message to them will probably change their collection for dues to be upfront now.

Wish you the very best going forward.

You should post all their emails to the bored, justice will be served...

(i'm kidding Mike...I'm kidding).

Keep the money, ride off into the sunset knowing your cause was just, you proved yourself a worth adversary and the people of the FFToday bored still love you. (ok, not too sure on that last part).

:cheers:

Take screen shots showing you're locked out with dates for a few weeks so you can prove your case when douche commish/lawyer decides he wants to come after you for the money.

I'm still scratching my head about this. Why would people act like that? Now I know we have all seen people act very strange, rude, mean, weird, in in various situations, but I still wonder why people act that way. That is one weird email you got from that dude. How do the other teams even go along with that without asking him WTF? Is it some kind of cult they are in?

Making trouble for the league? That guy sounds like he is either 13 or 93.

I'm still scratching my head about this. Why would people act like that? Now I know we have all seen people act very strange, rude, mean, weird, in in various situations, but I still wonder why people act that way. That is one weird email you got from that dude. How do the other teams even go along with that without asking him WTF? Is it some kind of cult they are in?

Making trouble for the league? That guy sounds like he is either 13 or 93.

You nailed it. Just absolutely bizarre.

The thing is as commish, if a suggestion is brought to my attention that requires a modification or new rule, I create a poll to have everyone vote to ensure everyone has a voice. Voting is not mandatory but everyone knows if you choose not to vote, you have to live with the result as long as your part of the league.

To not, at the very least, to not make everyone aware of a suggestion for a POSSIBLE rule change is puzzling.

To kick someone out because of a suggestion is just plain ludicrous and UGLY.

Just a reminder of what kind of people we have in the world.

You nailed it. Just absolutely bizarre.

The thing is as commish, if a suggestion is brought to my attention that requires a modification or new rule, I create a poll to have everyone vote to ensure everyone has a voice. Voting is not mandatory but everyone knows if you choose not to vote, you have to live with the result as long as your part of the league.

To not, at the very least, to not make everyone aware of a suggestion for a POSSIBLE rule change is puzzling.

To kick someone out because of a suggestion is just plain ludicrous and UGLY.

Just a reminder of what kind of people we have in the world.

I know right? I seriously want to meet these guys in person just to ask why and sit back with a bowl of popcorn and enjoy the answers like I'm watching some crazy detective show interrogation. I think TBay should invite them to this site for a thorough discussion on the topic.

Be prepared to be presented with a lawsuit and appear in small claims court over your league fees. This league sounds so petty that I wouldn't be surprised...

Be prepared to be presented with a lawsuit and appear in small claims court over your league fees. This league sounds so petty that I wouldn't be surprised...

I'm guessing no contract was drafted saying they can boot you from the competition at any time for any reason and you would you still owe the money. ☺

Now if he did pay up early on and they did that, there would be a real case for small claims in the other direction.

Serves you right for playing in a league with 3 team divisions.

Even funnier that they kick you out when you owe $310.

What's the name of the league? The bouche dags?

I fockin' hate leagues that decide the playoffs on HTH record.That's why our league($210 buy-in) uses a tier scoring system so that the better scoring teams are rewarded for drafting and managing a high scoring team.We still have a weekly HTH match and the best HTH record at seasons end gets some cash but not necessarily makes the playoffs.

Just my .02

Just wanted to give you guys an update. So as I said, when they kicked me out, they locked me out of my team page. What I found out, is that the commissioner went into my roster and benched everyone so that I got 0 points and as a result, lost the most points and best record award. As it turns out, I would have only needed 57 points to win those awards. Considering that my lowest point total on the year was 98 and my average was around 126, I'm pretty confident I'd have gotten the necessary points. To note, the guy I was playing had the worst team in the league and his record going into our match-up was 2-10 and he averaged only 92 ppg. He beat me 72-0 in Week 13.

I decided to not say anything in response to being kicked out. I was curious and wanted to see how things played out. Here is a summarized email exchange I've been having with the commissioner.

From him...

Hey, just wanted to let you know that you didn't win in Week 13 and didn't score enough points to win any prizes. Please send me your $310 fees please. I want to have all the money a.s.a.p.

My response...

I don't know what you're talking about. I'm not in any fantasy league with you. I know I used to be, but I was kicked out, so I'm no longer a league member. As per the league rules "All League Members must pay all dues when after the end of the regular season if you did not make the playoffs". I'm not a league member, so I don't owe any dues.

From him...

You were a league member, so you owe the money. Please send it to me a.s.a.p.

From me...

Question. When you kicked me out and locked me out from the league and my team, what happened to my roster/lineup? I mean, I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't need a lot of points to win the total points award. I know that I have Alvin Kamara, DeAndre Hopkins and Keenan Allen and that they put up good numbers. How did I not win total points? I was up by 130 points.

From him...

Please send me your $310 a.s.a.p.

From me...

So, you bench my roster so I take a 0 and lose and as a result, don't win 2 awards that would have won me $100, don't tell me what you did, then ask me for $310? That's a real ###### move. You know, had you been honorable and just asked for $210, I would have honored my agreement and sent it to you. But you basically want to rip me off, so screw you buddy.

From him...

Please send me your $210 a.s.a.p. Thanks.

From me...

You'll have to use your law degree and sue me for it.

From him...

There is no need for legal proceedings. Please just send me your $210 a.s.a.p. Thanks.

From me...

So in other words, you know you'll lose. Sorry, but I was not a league member at the conclusion of Week 13. Hence, I'm not obligated to pay any dues. Good luck next season. Oh, by the way, I hear that the rule change suggestion I made got passed by you guys. Interesting... don't you think? This is the last time I will respond to you, ever, so don't bother sending any more emails.

Well, he did send some that went unanswered. He sent me this message everyday since since my last email... "Please send me your $210 a.s.a.p. Thanks." After a week of this, I got a friend of mine who is a lawyer respond his latest email (with the entire email chain included). In the body of the email, he wrote, "Please read the attached document." The attached document was a pdf of my friends law firm letter head that basically stated that if he continues to bully me, he will be sued in civil court.

I got an email from the commissioner that stated: "Thanks for playing in our league these last two years. Good luck in the future."

It's been 3 days and nothing since. Guess my friends' email worked. LOL The best part, my friend is a divorce lawyer!!