Sign in to follow this  
MDC

Best way to invest $25K?

So I'm getting a small windfall of $50 grand by the end of the year. About half is going to pay off some debt and go into upgrading the house - we want to move within the next couple of years. That leaves $25K and I'd like to invest it in something low risk that will at least appreciate faster than the rate of inflation. We really don't need the money right now so I can live w/out touching it for a few years.

Any ideas on the best way to invest that money in this economy?

1.make yourself revolving debt free

2.start a 6 month of expenses emergency fund

3.figure out what percent of your income you need to save for retirement, and get there.

if you still have leftovers, id launder it this way. put more into your retirement, lowering your net pay but fill in the gaps with the additional monies.

:overhead:

Fish Tank

With sharks that have friggin laser beams attached to their heads.

With sharks that have friggin laser beams attached to their heads.

You'd be surprised. You could EASILY spend 25 grand on a 100 gallon plus reef tank.

just wanted to say congratulations on becoming debt free! yay! i hope to see that day.

just wanted to say congratulations on becoming debt free! yay! i hope to see that day.

Thanks, I appreciate that. Just eliminating all debt is going to save us hundreds per month. And this money is going to help us fix the house and make a decent profit. I feel pretty lucky.

MDC,

Unfortunately there is not much out there. CD's are yielding 1.5%-2.5% for a 6 mo to 1 yr term. If you can find one between 2%-2.5%, at least that solves your risk issue. You can get a longer term with a little better rate. What I might do is "ladder" your CD's. What I mean is maybe invest $10,000 in a 1 year CD, and $10,000 in a 2 year CD and maybe $5,000 in a 3 year CD. That way, you have money coming due each year for either emergencies or better yielding investments. As far as keeping up with inflation, it is not great. Sometimes some smaller local regional banks have a better deal. Nothing wrong with an internet bank as long as they have FDIC insurance. The problem is it is a little uncomfortable for some people to deal with these banks over the phone or through emails for an investment I know people that do it and it seems fine. I did it once 3 years ago with Countrywide at a local office they had by my house. Technically it was an "Internet Bank". I was contacted near the end of the term, told them I did not want to roll over the investments, and the money was returned and I invested at the next best rate I could find. Everything was fine, even with Countrywide's issues.

Do you guys have IRAs (Roth or regular)? If not starting one is not a bad idea even if you have 401K's or work pensions. The problem is that these are not temporary investments. If you want the money down the road for a new house or something then do not do this.

If this $25,000 is discretionary savings I would tell you to put 1/2 in a CD and take 1/2 and start dollar cost averaging (over the next 12 months) in a couple mutual funds at Vanguard (low expenses). Again, if you know this is money to be spent in the near term for something than the stock market is out of the question.

CurleyQ - THANKS. That is exactly the type of advice I was looking for.

First of all, I sincerely hope that the reason you are getting the money is due to inheritance from somebody that was close to you and that you cared for greatly died in a horrifically painful, lingering way you focking jackass.

Might I suggest investing in tents for your backyard, so that if you manage to kidnapp a real, living broad, she will have a place to stay. Oh, silly me. I plum near forgot that the rundown Section 8 slums of South Philadelphia do not have backyards. Well, I guess it's back to caressing 'ole Inflatable Ina.

First of all, I sincerely hope that the reason you are getting the money is due to inheritance from somebody that was close to you and that you cared for greatly died in a horrifically painful, lingering way you focking jackass.

Might I suggest investing in tents for your backyard, so that if you manage to kidnapp a real, living broad, she will have a place to stay. Oh, silly me. I plum near forgot that the rundown Section 8 slums of South Philadelphia do not have backyards. Well, I guess it's back to caressing 'ole Inflatable Ina.

It is an inheritance, but the relative is still alive and well - he's "gifting" his estate to relatives to avoid paying higher taxes on it. :thumbsup:

Aren't you a bleeding heart liberal who feels that we all need to take care of the less fortunate?

Why don't you put your money where your mouth is and donate a large chunk of that to a charity?

Aren't you a bleeding heart liberal who feels that we all need to take care of the less fortunate?

No.

Why don't you put your money where your mouth is and donate a large chunk of that to a charity?

Libs are only generous with other people's money, not thier own.

HTH

1) Ask strike

2) do the opposite...

:pointstosky:

MDC,

Unfortunately there is not much out there. CD's are yielding 1.5%-2.5% for a 6 mo to 1 yr term. If you can find one between 2%-2.5%, at least that solves your risk issue. You can get a longer term with a little better rate. What I might do is "ladder" your CD's. What I mean is maybe invest $10,000 in a 1 year CD, and $10,000 in a 2 year CD and maybe $5,000 in a 3 year CD. That way, you have money coming due each year for either emergencies or better yielding investments. As far as keeping up with inflation, it is not great. Sometimes some smaller local regional banks have a better deal. Nothing wrong with an internet bank as long as they have FDIC insurance. The problem is it is a little uncomfortable for some people to deal with these banks over the phone or through emails for an investment I know people that do it and it seems fine. I did it once 3 years ago with Countrywide at a local office they had by my house. Technically it was an "Internet Bank". I was contacted near the end of the term, told them I did not want to roll over the investments, and the money was returned and I invested at the next best rate I could find. Everything was fine, even with Countrywide's issues.

Do you guys have IRAs (Roth or regular)? If not starting one is not a bad idea even if you have 401K's or work pensions. The problem is that these are not temporary investments. If you want the money down the road for a new house or something then do not do this.

If this $25,000 is discretionary savings I would tell you to put 1/2 in a CD and take 1/2 and start dollar cost averaging (over the next 12 months) in a couple mutual funds at Vanguard (low expenses). Again, if you know this is money to be spent in the near term for something than the stock market is out of the question.

Contact a Financial Advisor. Tell him/her your goals and objectives for the money and have them put a plan of action in place. With cd rates being where thay are a money market account will be your best option until your plan has been implemented.

Lastly, Vanguard is a low cost mutual fund family, but low cost doesn't always mean more money in your pocket. I would have to say; you came to an internet chat board looking for advise so you aren't qualified to invest your own money with a no load/no advise mutual fun family. Again, contact a professional you know or your friends know and follow their plan.

Lastly again, ROTH IRA's are your friend (income guidelines apply). Think about creating a pocket of money that once you begin withdrawing it is Federal tax-free. Social security, pensions and 401k's are all taxable so a tax-free wod of loot is a good arrow in your quiver in retirement.

I will answer other questions....Just ask. :dunno:

Q is right on w/his advice. I'm not a big fan of anything that costs fees - funds don't give 2 craps about you, and too many brokers worry about fee income, not what the best investment for YOUR goal is. You'd really have to comfortable with the individual to let them give you investment advice.

Libs are only generous with other people's money, not thier own.

HTH

Link to charts showing percentage of net income donated to charity crossed with political affiliation?

Lastly again, ROTH IRA's are your friend (income guidelines apply). Think about creating a pocket of money that once you begin withdrawing it is Federal tax-free. Social security, pensions and 401k's are all taxable so a tax-free wod of loot is a good arrow in your quiver in retirement.

I will answer other questions....Just ask. :D

Its great pulling your money out tax free, but even after taxes, you make more money with 401k's. The amount you save by having it tax deductible, therefore being able to invest more per month/paycheck, more than makes up for what you pay in taxes when you retire. 401k>>Roth IRA. Not saying IRA's don't have their place, but touting a tax free withdrawal is not the advantage IRA's have.

Q is right on w/his advice. I'm not a big fan of anything that costs fees - funds don't give 2 craps about you, and too many brokers worry about fee income, not what the best investment for YOUR goal is. You'd really have to comfortable with the individual to let them give you investment advice.

Link to charts showing percentage of net income donated to charity crossed with political affiliation?

I don't have a link, but i'm pretty sure conservatives donate more than liberals.

Its great pulling your money out tax free, but even after taxes, you make more money with 401k's. The amount you save by having it tax deductible, therefore being able to invest more per month/paycheck, more than makes up for what you pay in taxes when you retire. 401k>>Roth IRA. Not saying IRA's don't have their place, but touting a tax free withdrawal is not the advantage IRA's have.

I don't have a link, but i'm pretty sure conservatives donate more than liberals.

Itsbigmoni, Here is a hint. Keep your day job!

get that hysterectomy you've always wanted

I am in agreement that Roth IRA's are better than 401k's, assuming the loads are in check. I would rather have my 401k (where the loads are waived) versus an equal Roth IRA fund with a 5% load. But as it has been said, you can get low/no load funds that should be sufficient.

The only thing that makes me nervous about Roth's (or any retirement plan for that matter) is what will the government's attitude be towards them 30 years from now. Seeing as we are becoming more and more of a nation of people wanting to share the wealth and reward people for not making sound financial decisions, I fear that 30 years from now someone will say, "Hey, look at all these people with tons of money sitting in retirement plans. They don't need that much money, they should share some of that!"