Sign in to follow this  
dain11279

How often have you called in sick to your job?

Oh god, is this the new geek club ego stroke? The old "Iv never missed a day of hard work in my life." Act? Focking puke.

I have called in sick at other jobs just when I needed a mental day... I haven't done it at my current job though...

I dunno either, but the guy I really wouldn't wanna meet in a dark alley is the guy who "calls off".

Yup, that was beernuts. :ninja:

Yup, that was beernuts. :ninja:

That's the Chicago way. When I was in Texas, most people said called in. I think called out was more prevelant when I was in CT.

I dunno either, but the guy I really wouldn't wanna meet in a dark alley is the guy who "calls off".

What's wrong with calling off? I am going to call and tell them I am going to be off. I don't get the joke!

What's wrong with calling off? I am going to call and tell them I am going to be off. I don't get the joke!

Regional dialect thing.

I get 4 hours sick leave banked per pay period.

I use it when I need too. Probably a few times a year. Some with sick kids.. some because I don't believe in taking sickness into the office to get my employees sick.

Its cumulative over the years... so I probably have 700+ hours of sick leave banked.

I'm in sales and work from home when I'm not traveling. If I'm not feeling well while home I'll just work as much or little as I feel like. If I got sick traveling I'd probably cancel meetings out of courtesy if nothing else. Luckily I rarely get sick and can't remember the last time I was too sick to work, unless you include surgeries, the most recent was for a torn meniscus 18 months ago.

Calling out sick was almost like a drug to me. I never missed a day in my 10 years in the Navy. I've worked for the same company since then and never called out for my first 5 or 6 years. Then one year I had this golf tournament that I really wanted to play in but I had to call out sick to play in it. My wife (at the time) had to do my dirty work for me....I couldn't work up the nerve to lie to my boss.

The following year I had the same situation. I took a deep breath, called the boss, told him I woke up with a headache and couldn't make it in. After that it just got easier and easier and now I do it 4 or 5 times a year. It's always seems to be sunny with no rain in the forecast on those days.

Calling out sick was almost like a drug to me. I never missed a day in my 10 years in the Navy. I've worked for the same company since then and never called out for my first 5 or 6 years. Then one year I had this golf tournament that I really wanted to play in but I had to call out sick to play in it. My wife (at the time) had to do my dirty work for me....I couldn't work up the nerve to lie to my boss.

The following year I had the same situation. I took a deep breath, called the boss, told him I woke up with a headache and couldn't make it in. After that it just got easier and easier and now I do it 4 or 5 times a year. It's always seems to be sunny with no rain in the forecast on those days.

:first:

I'm sure he is clueless

My Fridays are great; status calls in the morning but no recurring afternoon calls. Customers rarely want to meet then either. If I'm still working at 3 on a Friday it is an accident.

Which reminds me, I should look into sneaking off to a cactus league game tomorrow. :ninja:

My Fridays are great; status calls in the morning but no recurring afternoon calls. Customers rarely want to meet then either. If I'm still working at 3 on a Friday it is an accident.

Which reminds me, I should look into sneaking off to a cactus league game tomorrow. :ninja:

There are some jobs that are on a 4 10 schedule. 3 day weekend. Personally I don't like them. I'd rather be 5 days 8 hours a day. If I am on 10s, I want to be paid time and a half for those extra 2 hours.

I'm in sales and work from home when I'm not traveling. If I'm not feeling well while home I'll just work as much or little as I feel like. If I got sick traveling I'd probably cancel meetings out of courtesy if nothing else. Luckily I rarely get sick and can't remember the last time I was too sick to work, unless you include surgeries, the most recent was for a torn meniscus 18 months ago.

Ever get to hartford area?

I get 4 hours sick leave banked per pay period.

I use it when I need too. Probably a few times a year. Some with sick kids.. some because I don't believe in taking sickness into the office to get my employees sick.

Its cumulative over the years... so I probably have 700+ hours of sick leave banked.

You're set up very nicely for a prolonged battle with something. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Ever get to hartford area?

No. Mostly San Diego (just landed back), Irvine, LAX, San Jose, and Sacramento. Occasional Portland, Salt Lake, maybe Colorado this year.

I used to do a lot of Geek meets, but other than Bert when he was in Phoenix for a conference, I don't think I've met a Geek since... 2009 ish? I should do some more of that. :cheers:

In the military? Never. You didn't get to call in sick. If you were sick enough to actually go home then they would make you go to the ER where you would wait anywhere from 2-18 hours to get seen.

Current job? A couple. Feels good to actually call in and say "hey I can't come to work I'm sick". Of course we have had a flu epidemic around here so I ended up picking it up

Do you go to work sick? That sucks for the rest of us.

I work in an office environment where everybody has laptops. They tell you to Work From Home if you are sick. You can still sign on to meetings virtually, answer emails, etc.

Nobody wants your sneezing, coughing, diarrhea arse around. The days of "toughing it out" are over. Technology handled that.

In the last five years, I have missed seven days.

One I was sent home from the restaurant because I couldn't stop throwing up.

The other six were for my hernia surgery last year. I tried to come back sooner and they wouldn't let me.

There are some jobs that are on a 4 10 schedule. 3 day weekend. Personally I don't like them. I'd rather be 5 days 8 hours a day. If I am on 10s, I want to be paid time and a half for those extra 2 hours.

I would love a 4-10 schedule. That would be bad ass.

Called out one Friday to go fishing and and ran into the boss at the convenience store (with boat in tow).

The following Monday he asked if I had any luck and traded a few fishing stories.

Nothing more was ever said.

Im famous for a nice batch of bronchitis when the seasons change. Probably 4-5 a year. Contract gives me 12 a year so no biggie

One day with chickenpox?

Terrible, I know. You're still contagious until all the lesions are crusted. I was young so I don't recall all the details but pretty surely mom and the school system screwed up. Though I don't remember other kids getting chicken pox thereafter.

Oh god, is this the new geek club ego stroke? The old "Iv never missed a day of hard work in my life." Act? Focking puke.

Days off? Donno, few times a year maybe. When actually sick? Maybe couple times ever, that shiz is reserved for when I'm not sick and just want to do something fun. I rarely get sick anyway.

Don't know what to tell you. I also had mono while an intern. I had to change to an easier rotation but didn't miss any time.

I remember other kids parents taking them out of school even when they weren't sick, for family trips, etc. My parents didn't, and maybe that made an impression on me. I don't recall my sister missing any school either, though Im not sure if she has continued the trend with her job.

I don't get sick days. We just call off. Depending on the job, it could be enough to get me layed off. Usually one day is not a big deal, unless its a really small job. Like a two man job, then yeah it's pretty important to come in. If the job is big enough and long enough it goes the opposite direction for allowable days off. I worked with guys who would take off every single Thursday, or every Friday. Some guys would go on benders for a few weeks getting all fvked up on booze or drugs, then come back and it was forgiven. There isn't nearly as much of this going on now. It seems our union is getting cleaned up as far as the extreme users are getting older.

Sounds like a union shop

Slacker. If you aren't going into work and getting your co workers or patients sick, it means you are lazy

Meh. If you wash your hands diligently, use appropriate cough etiquette and/or wear a mask, you probably aren't putting your coworkers at risk. Healthcare workers around patients with compromised immunity is another story.

Speaking of being sick - what is it with people who are always focking sick?

I know this one woman, she spends about $200 a month on all this herbal, organic, Echinacea type vitamin shiit, all for health prevention - and the biitch is ALWAYS sick. It literally takes her about 30 minutes out of her day to get out, organize and take all her daily dosage of stuff... It's ridiculous........... I have another buddy who smokes, doesn't exercise and doesn't eat vegetables - and this muther focker is always sick too. And not just normal cold stuff - this dude claims to have all these off the wall type ailments that Bubble kids would never even catch... He claims he's not a hypochondriac - but he is.

I've not medical proof, links or anything else - but I think some people are just focking head cases more than they're sick.

Used to not call in (and not get sick very often). These days it is still rare for me to call in (maybe 2-3 days a year). if it is a cold or flu I will come in, stay to myself, get the heartier work done and ensure my team is in a good place, then leave early. if i am needing extra rest, i will allow myself to sleep in and then do the same. i have dealt with injuries that have been immobilizing (back- could not move for 7-10 days). i recently used a sick day when my mother had a stroke in February. i took a day to see her in ICU.

edit: around thanksgiving i had a flu off and on for about 4 week.... stayed home 1 day.

Do you go to work sick? That sucks for the rest of us.

I work in an office environment where everybody has laptops. They tell you to Work From Home if you are sick. You can still sign on to meetings virtually, answer emails, etc.

Nobody wants your sneezing, coughing, diarrhea arse around. The days of "toughing it out" are over. Technology handled that.

When I did that consulting for behavior analysis, I showed up one day coughing a little bit. The wife of the founder walked up to me and said, basically, "get the fock out of here you germ-filled fock$#@!" Seems she was a bit of a germophobe. I understand the benefits of not getting others sick, but it is hard when you were raised in a culture where you work unless you can't. :dunno:

I went to school every day and I go work every day, except for a week when each of my kids were born, I never take time off for anything and I've been doing that all my life.

• Like 1