Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Bucs release Doug Martin

Link

Tampa saves $6.75 against the cap with no dead money. This gives an uptick to Peyton Barber but expect the Bucs to address the position in the draft or free agency.

RIP, doug martin.

i definitely allowed him to stay on my dynasty roster too long and will likely end up now just cutting him (rather than getting any value out of him) which is a mistake...

HOWEVER, when i think back to doing everything i could to get trent richardson in that draft, and falling just 1 pick short... and "settling" for doug martin instead... i will always have a soft spot for old dougie.

It will be interesting to see where he lands.

New England perhaps? on a low priced 1 year deal?

It will be interesting to see where he lands.

New England perhaps? on a low priced 1 year deal?

True. And then he would be great for his 12 carries per game, 9 games on the year.

Tampa is a mess. The HC is in over his head. DND's all around next year

Tampa is a mess. The HC is in over his head. DND's all around next year

I don't know about that. Winston is draftable. Evans is at worst a 2nd pick with top 3 WR potential. Brate is a startable TE. The problem is that the GM spent very little resources into the lines. There's no quality edge rusher to speak of and the overall DLine is pretty weak aside from McCoy. The OLine needs an upgrade too. Again, Licht has spent little in getting quality players there. This off season, I expect a lot of movement to address these two areas. That aside, Winston still is not a bad QB and Evans is a great talent. I can even see a scenario where they draft a RB in the 2nd round.

I don't know about that. Winston is draftable. Evans is at worst a 2nd pick with top 3 WR potential. Brate is a startable TE. The problem is that the GM spent very little resources into the lines. There's no quality edge rusher to speak of and the overall DLine is pretty weak aside from McCoy. The OLine needs an upgrade too. Again, Licht has spent little in getting quality players there. This off season, I expect a lot of movement to address these two areas. That aside, Winston still is not a bad QB and Evans is a great talent. I can even see a scenario where they draft a RB in the 2nd round.

Is brate a free agent?

Either way, look at the offensive numbers last year.

4 of his 6 seasons he avg under 3.7 yards per rush.

And the last two seasons he avg 2.9.

It's going to be very interesting too see how productive he will or won't be with a different team.

Personally I think he will never be as good as his only two good seasons.

I think he will be what he as been the last two seasons.

Happy for you Bucs fans.

Time to move on. Still upset at myself for thinking he'd be a sneaky pick in FF last year to plug in after suspension...

Is brate a free agent?

Either way, look at the offensive numbers last year.

Brate is a RFA. He finished 10th among TE's last year... in a year where Winston played only 13 games and was playing hurt for a good number of games early on last season. I don't know, if I'm in a 12 team league and I have the #10 TE as my starting TE, I don't think I'd be upset.

4 of his 6 seasons he avg under 3.7 yards per rush.

And the last two seasons he avg 2.9.

It's going to be very interesting too see how productive he will or won't be with a different team.

Personally I think he will never be as good as his only two good seasons.

I think he will be what he as been the last two seasons.

Happy for you Bucs fans.

I never wanted the Bucs to re-sign him in the first place. I'm glad he's gone.

I agree. especially with the bolded part.

This offense really needs upgrades on the line.

it's fine to dump the RB for not being productive, but the YPC of all RB's on the roster was terrible. So I'm inclined to think this is more likely a line issue and less likely to be a RB issue.

That being Said, Martin carries some baggage off the field too, so maybe that was the real reason they let him go. Tough to say for sure.

So they now need to replace the RB and fix the line.

If they are smart, they draft the OT/OG they need first, and grab the RB later, but teams rarely do that. They will draft a RB first and he wont do well because he's running behind a weak line.

It's a pattern we see over and over again. Not necessarily just in Tampa. Lots of teams do it. It's pretty common.

Then in a year, they will label the RB a bust and draft someone else having never fixed the problem on the line.

Barber avg 3.9 per rush

Rodgers in 2016 avg 4.3.

Both those seasons Martin avg 2.9.

Barber avg 3.9 per rush

Rodgers in 2016 avg 4.3.

Both those seasons Martin avg 2.9.

Let's be frank, none of the RB's were great statistically in the last couple of years. Rodgers number looked ok in 2016, but that was a reasonably small sample size. he didnt look good last year.

I'm Just saying that the RB wasnt the only problem in Tampa.

if they are smart, they address the line and the RB numbers will improve by default.

if they sign one who can start right away and draft one who can do the same, it could transform this offense.

That's really what this team needs.

Maybe they draft a RB in round 1 and an O Lineman in round 2. Problem with that is that most linemen drafted in round 2 generally are not starters in year 1. They often need a year in the weight room or some coaching to improve the technique or they have some deficiency that keeps them off the field until year 2 or 3.

They draft reasonably early in the order. Maybe they trade someone or a draft pick along with their second round pick to move back into round 1. Then they can (hopefully) fill both needs.

The O lineman makes a lot of sense because they have a young QB that they also need to protect. So it's also about protecting their other investment too.

Let's be frank, none of the RB's were great statistically in the last couple of years. Rodgers number looked ok in 2016, but that was a reasonably small sample size. he didnt look good last year.

I'm Just saying that the RB wasnt the only problem in Tampa.

if they are smart, they address the line and the RB numbers will improve by default.

if they sign one who can start right away and draft one who can do the same, it could transform this offense.

That's really what this team needs.

Maybe they draft a RB in round 1 and an O Lineman in round 2. Problem with that is that most linemen drafted in round 2 generally are not starters in year 1. They often need a year in the weight room or some coaching to improve the technique or they have some deficiency that keeps them off the field until year 2 or 3.

They draft reasonably early in the order. Maybe they trade someone or a draft pick along with their second round pick to move back into round 1. Then they can (hopefully) fill both needs.

The O lineman makes a lot of sense because they have a young QB that they also need to protect. So it's also about protecting their other investment too.

They need a new QB.

Sometimes it's also the player.

L Murray in 2016 ran behind the Raiders Oline, and avg 4.0 per rush.

Last season behind a suspect Vikings Oline he avg 3.9.

Martin as avg 2.9 his last two seasons, and has only avg more then 3.7 twice in six seasons.

The Bucs do need to upgrade the Oline, but they weren't the only problem when Martin was playing.

Martin as avg 2.9 his last two seasons, and has only avg more then 3.7 twice in six seasons.

The Bucs do need to upgrade the Oline, but they weren't the only problem when Martin was playing.

I am not saying Martin was blameless. He needed to be better too.

My concern is that quite often people will blame the RB(or sometimes the QB) when, in fact, that is only a part of the problem.

Most players in the QB or RB position need at least a decent performance from the line in order to perform themselves.

Great players can do it with a subpar line

Only the generational talents can perform well with a terrible line.

I dont think anyone here would argue that Martin was a generationqal talent.

He has had years where he was great, but he had a better line in those years.

I think he's been a solid starter who can be great if put into the right situation. But since that time, he has had his issues off the field, and seems to get injured a lot. whether this is because of overtraining or something else, I cannot say.

but Martin is now in the position of being seen as a backup or a fringe starter.

I dont know what he's been doing with himself, but he needs to smarten up if he wants to continue to play football.

I think the real problem with him is off the field.

and the on field performance could have been better as well.

I think the real problem with him is off the field.

and the on field performance could have been better as well.

I do agree with the off field statement.

Thanks for the reply, always a pleasure chatting with you Ray.

So what is everyone's actual gut feeling on the guy?

Did he just mail it in with Tampa, and the kids still got some sort of potential value.

Or stick a fork in him and there's nothing else left?

I ask because I can get him for a 3.1 in a 12 team dynasty league. It seems like it's well worth the pick. But I've also always liked the kid, so I'm not sure if I've just got blinders on with him.

Head on the nail. An edge rusher has been a problem for a while now. Lot's of talented skill positions in the offense. They should be putting up more points. That points to either the QB or the line. I'm not a Winston fan. I wanted Mariotta. Winston makes bad decisions sometimes. But there are times that he reminds me of Steve Spurrier running for his life in '76. Steve retired after that year. The line has to be addressed. They have too much invested in Winston too let it go unless they are trying to get him killed.

Hit nail on head. Edge rusher has been a probrem for a while now. Rots of tarented skill positions in offense. They should be put up more points. That points to either the QB or the rine.

:dunno:

So what is everyone's actual gut feeling on the guy?

Did he just mail it in with Tampa, and the kids still got some sort of potential value.

Or stick a fork in him and there's nothing else left?

I ask because I can get him for a 3.1 in a 12 team dynasty league. It seems like it's well worth the pick. But I've also always liked the kid, so I'm not sure if I've just got blinders on with him.

Got a LOT of Chris Johnson in him. If a team gives him a one year deal with a lot of incentives it in, he might be worth a flier.