Sign in to follow this  
Gladiators

Would you let your kid quit a sport mid-season?

Let's assume the coach isn't a complete asswhole. Your kid just doesn't feel like playing. When he or she is on the field, their picking dandelions or off in their own little world. Would you let them quit, or would you make them to stick it out through the season?

Depends on the length of the season and whether the experience as a whole is doing any good for my kid.

My kid is just like me already (poor bastard)

loves to quit things mid stream

No. He made a commitment to the other kids on that team. This is called a teachable moment. Teach him that a man honors his comittments, especially when he doesnt want to.

• Like 1

If it's as bad as you say I'd prolly let him quit but maybe make it a teachable moment. Take him to Disneyland and halfway there remind him how you wanted him to play baseball and he quit, then tell him you've decided to go to Home Depot instead.

• Like 2

No. He made a commitment to the other kids on that team. This is called a teachable moment. Teach him that a man honors his comittments, especially when he doesnt want to.

This is how I handled it a couple years ago when my oldest wanted to quit a sport. I told him he didn't have to play, but we were going to the game and he was going to sit on the sidelines and watch the game. He sat there for 1 game and then decided to finish the season out. Now he loves it is really good.

I coach my youngest. This is the email I received from a parent this morning:

"Hi my daughter is not into soccer anymore and I was just wondering how to get her pictures. Should I just stop by the field tonight to pick them up?"

I was in a good mood, so I just told her that was fine. I'd like to tell her to fock off...Didn't apologize...Didn't ask if it was going to leave the team in a bad spot...

Oh well.

Nope. You make a commitment to the team and you stick it out. If you don't want to make that commitment for the following season, that is fine, but we don't quit unless there is a safety issue.

Heck, my son played varsity baseball this year. Coach is a great technical coach. My son will learn a ton from the guy. However, he is sort of an ass, a horrible communicator, likes to drink and is probably just going through the motions (Coach Buttermaker anyone?). My son wanted to quit and just start working. I told him to stick it out because he made a commitment. He got all of 7 AB's during the season, but he stuck it out.

• Like 1

Nope. You make a commitment to the team and you stick it out. If you don't want to make that commitment for the following season, that is fine, but we don't quit unless there is a safety issue.

Heck, my son played varsity baseball this year. Coach is a great technical coach. My son will learn a ton from the guy. However, he is sort of an ass, a horrible communicator, likes to drink and is probably just going through the motions (Coach Buttermaker anyone?). My son wanted to quit and just start working. I told him to stick it out because he made a commitment. He got all of 7 AB's during the season, but he stuck it out.

:thumbsup:

+1

Some kids aren't ready for sports at a young age.

Then don't put them in one.

No way do I let them quit half way through the year.

I've seen both. You stipulate that the coach isn't a complete , so I respect that.

However, I've seen situations that are just toxic. Either the coaches toxic, or the parenting organization treats the kids on the field like , whatever. Maybe the coach is trying to live out some kind of great Santini fantasy in his head for junior high T ball? That kind of crap I would have no use for with my kid.

"Hi my daughter is not into soccer anymore and I was just wondering how to get her pictures. Should I just stop by the field tonight to pick them up?"

I was in a good mood, so I just told her that was fine. I'd like to tell her to fock off...Didn't apologize...Didn't ask if it was going to leave the team in a bad spot...

Oh well.

I thought you said the coach wasn't a complete ass hole? :nono:

Then don't put them in one.

No way do I let them quit half way through the year.

Possible to not know until he's in the sport. As it is, he's talking about a 5 year old---some kids aren't ready socially at that age to play sports, interacts, physically ready and so-on. I'd say give a few years and see if he shows interest later.

FYI - my brother quit baseball at 6 years old, same team as me a year younger. Started playing again at 8 and got a scholarship to college playing right field. When he was finally interested, he committed, but at 6 he was really was way too shy and sensitive to be out there...IMO, if your kid isn't having fun, not learning teamwork or is being put in a situation he can't handle, let him quit. Really, at 5, did he make the choice to join a team or did you sign him up, it's not like he's learning a lesson on following through if it wasn't something he started but was dumped into.

. Really, at 5, did he make the choice to join a team or did you sign him up, it's not like he's learning a lesson on following through if it wasn't something he started but was dumped into.

Don't hate the playa, hate the parent. :thumbsup:

Possible to not know until he's in the sport. As it is, he's talking about a 5 year old---some kids aren't ready socially at that age to play sports, interacts, physically ready and so-on. I'd say give a few years and see if he shows interest later.

FYI - my brother quit baseball at 6 years old, same team as me a year younger. Started playing again at 8 and got a scholarship to college playing right field. When he was finally interested, he committed, but at 6 he was really was way too shy and sensitive to be out there...IMO, if your kid isn't having fun, not learning teamwork or is being put in a situation he can't handle, let him quit. Really, at 5, did he make the choice to join a team or did you sign him up, it's not like he's learning a lesson on following through if it wasn't something he started but was dumped into.

Yeah, I didnt realize we were talking about a 5 year old before I gave my rah rah comittment speech.

Kids are smart. If you start giving in, even at 5, they remember. Helll, they learn this before the age of 2.

Maybe just give her half a picture.

:lol: or give her the stack of photos mysteriously "stuck together"...

Yeah, I didnt realize we were talking about a 5 year old before I gave my rah rah comittment speech.

picking daisies was a dead giveaway

Kids are smart. If you start giving in, even at 5, they remember. Helll, they learn this before the age of 2.

2/3 by 5, 1/3 by 14 = ones personality

at 5, so long as the team can still field a squad, this is not a major crime. as they get older, they need to fulfill the commitment and discuss continuing/quitting in the offseason.

from a coach's perspective on the daisy pickers when they are older:

i had a few of these 3 years ago(played at U10). it was clear that they were not interested and only doing it for the parents. they did not care about learning the game, getting better, or helping teammates. one of the girls would have a different "injury" every practice to sit out. i wanted to start her one game and could not find her...she was off playing catch with her brother (not with the rest of the team). I liked the parents a bit but had conversations about her lack of motivation. she has other siblings playing and doing well. she just didn't care. we continued to work with her but the next season they decided to let her sit out.

My kid played weeball this year but we did not go to all the games. He just was not interested and at 4 really all he wanted to do was play in the dirt.

Yes...this. Unless there is a danger present by poor coaching and things. As an example a kid my son played travel soccer with...was also a football player, QB and pretty good player. He was going to play football in the falls and soccer in spring. Well his football team and mostly coach and philosophy was bad. He was taking hit after hit and they werent coaching blocking and the kid was dinged up every time they played. They had approached to coach who changed nothing and told the kids in the team to just suck it up. After a concussion for him and injuries to others...he and 3 other kids walked away. He ended up playing fall soccer with us too.

He is back playing football for his middle school and is good...that coach apparently was a complete ass and shouldnt be in that position.

Yeah, I'm sorry, I don't hold truck with these guys who think that a five or six year old should be held accountable to a commitment like this.

Yeah, if they're junior high or High School? Sure. Good time to learn the lesson. But you have to consider your audience for Christ's sake. There are other exercises you can give a 5 year old 2 start teaching things about commitment. Hey little buddy! You're the one who wanted the book about the dog remember? No new books until you finish this one okay?

My dad wasnt an ass hole, but he also wasn't a very good parent. Hey, it's not like there's a fcking instruction manual. I remember him just being way over the top with my brother about something like this. He ended up being miserable for like an entire quarter, that carried over into subsequent months. He was unhappy. He was criticized and humiliated daily, the team was unhappy the coach was pissed, nobody won there. And there's my dad saying quitters never win!

Of course, this is the same stupid son of a bich who stayed with my shrew of a mother 4 50 fcking years. He was clearly miserable. She was clearly miserable. And I think it just parlayed into his entire life View. Think you're unhappy playing basketball? Fck you try being married to this btch!

Yeah, I'm sorry, I don't hold truck with these guys who think that a five or six year old should be held accountable to a commitment like this.

Yeah, if they're junior high or High School? Sure. Good time to learn the lesson. But you have to consider your audience for Christ's sake. There are other exercises you can give a 5 year old 2 start teaching things about commitment. Hey little buddy! You're the one who wanted the book about the dog remember? No new books until you finish this one okay?

My dad wasnt an ass hole, but he also wasn't a very good parent. Hey, it's not like there's a fcking instruction manual. I remember him just being way over the top with my brother about something like this. He ended up being miserable for like an entire quarter, that carried over into subsequent months. He was unhappy. He was criticized and humiliated daily, the team was unhappy the coach was pissed, nobody won there. And there's my dad saying quitters never win!

Of course, this is the same stupid son of a bich who stayed with my shrew of a mother 4 50 fcking years. He was clearly miserable. She was clearly miserable. And I think it just parlayed into his entire life View. Think you're unhappy playing basketball? Fck you try being married to this btch!

Cute story. I think giving in and letting kids do pretty much whatever they want is part of reason kids are the way they are today. Johnny, you don't feel like taking your test today? Mkay, I'll call you in sick. And so help me, if your teacher gives you any grief about not being there, I will rip her a new one.

I'm not an a-hole to my kids, but they learn, at a young age, that life isn't all lollipops and focking your teacher.

My dad wasnt an ass hole, but he also wasn't a very good parent.

I think that we may have our answers, fellas! :banana:

In general I'm strongly against letting kids quit anything mid-season, for the teammates/commitment reasons mentioned. Even at 5 I think there is a teachable moment. That being said there is a bit of a chicken and egg thing here, as the onus is on the parents to not give into a focking 5 year old and the ones that do probably aren't doing a strong parenting job anyway. :dunno:

It would depend on the situation; if the coach is abusive etc then no.

But in general we treat sports no differently than a classroom. Sport SHOULD be about development of the child as an athlete and person.

Our kids have tested our resolve on this on occasion over the years, but we have always impressed upon them that you give your word to the coach and the team, then you keep that word. It teaches them to be careful to what they commit to, it teaches them accountability and reason.

Sport should be about many things, not just the score.

I'm not an a-hole to my kids, but they learn, at a young age, that life isn't all lollipops and focking your teacher.

I'm sure your wife had a rigid schedule with her nipples too. Look you screaming little brat! I don't care if your 5 months old! The schedule says you clearly have 42 more minutes before I can feed you!😃😂

Tough guys living vicariously through their kids. If the kid doesnt want to play, dont make em play. They will just cry and sulk all season and this way you dont have to shuttle them to a hundred different things.

Tough guys living vicariously through their kids. If the kid doesnt want to play, dont make em play. They will just cry and sulk all season and this way you dont have to shuttle them to a hundred different things.

I hope you dont have kids.

From the chronic huskers father school of parenting.

This is how I handled it a couple years ago when my oldest wanted to quit a sport. I told him he didn't have to play, but we were going to the game and he was going to sit on the sidelines and watch the game. He sat there for 1 game and then decided to finish the season out. Now he loves it is really good.

Oh well.

You should congratulate her for getting her kid away from that useless sport before its too late.