Sign in to follow this  
cavern

AFC/NFC Championships

Not seeing a whole lot of talk on this.

Both games are fairly intriguing. In the NFC: Rodgers is playing out of his mind versus an atlanta team that appears superior at most other spots. i'm struggling to see this as anything other than a shootout/last team to have the ball type of game.

in the AFC: Is anyone giving the Steelers a legitimate shot here? line has moved up to 6, so early money has been on the Pats. Pats do not strike me as one of their best teams and the steelers seem to have superior athletes at certain key positions, but is it enough to overcome Belicheck and Brady in Foxboro? Steelers also have some ill-timed distractions going on. but i wonder if, at the end of the day, it ultimately will translate into a huge day for brown

interested in hearing anyones thoughts on these games

I agree with your thoughts except I don't think GB can hang with Atlanta. They are simply not as good pretty much everywhere but QB and even there Matt Ryan is having an MVP year too so it's a wash. I think Atlanta wins that one fairly easily

I agree with your thoughts except I don't think GB can hang with Atlanta. They are simply not as good pretty much everywhere but QB and even there Matt Ryan is having an MVP year too so it's a wash. I think Atlanta wins that one fairly easily

I disagree that GB can't hang with ATL. As far as putting $ where my mouth is, still undecided.

I've got New England and Atlanta winning Sunday and meeting in the Super Bowl. I sort of like Green Bay against the spread in this one since they have a decent chance of winning and since they are getting more than a field goal.

Both should be really entertaining, especially now with the Patriots and Steelers taking a couple of shots at each other.

We previewed the Falcons/Packers game on our Tuesday podcast and will be doing the Patriots/Steelers game on Thursday's episode. These matchups have so many angles and view points that they are/were pretty fun to discuss. Interested to see who everyone likes this weekend and if there are some people predicting the Steelers to take down New England - because while it should be a good game, I don't see it happening

I've got New England and Atlanta winning Sunday and meeting in the Super Bowl. I sort of like Green Bay against the spread in this one since they have a decent chance of winning and since they are getting more than a field goal.

Both should be really entertaining, especially now with the Patriots and Steelers taking a couple of shots at each other.

We previewed the Falcons/Packers game on our Tuesday podcast and will be doing the Patriots/Steelers game on Thursday's episode. These matchups have so many angles and view points that they are/were pretty fun to discuss. Interested to see who everyone likes this weekend and if there are some people predicting the Steelers to take down New England - because while it should be a good game, I don't see it happening

Steelers do scare me more than any team in the AFC. Especially since Roethlisberger and Tomlin have been here before.

BUT, AFC was very weak this year. So it's not saying a ton. Still I expect they will play the Pats hard and if Pats fock up like last weekend Steelers will win

Steelers do scare me more than any team in the AFC. Especially since Roethlisberger and Tomlin have been here before.

BUT, AFC was very weak this year. So it's not saying a ton. Still I expect they will play the Pats hard and if Pats fock up like last weekend Steelers will win

I'd be a little nervous that Pittsburgh couldn't find the endzone against KC, and now it's going against an even better defense in New England. Plus, NE's offense is on another level compared to KC. I'm cheering for Pittsburgh, but I just can't imagine them pulling this off

I'd be a little nervous that Pittsburgh couldn't find the endzone against KC, and now it's going against an even better defense in New England. Plus, NE's offense is on another level compared to KC. I'm cheering for Pittsburgh, but I just can't imagine them pulling this off

They had another game like this earlier this year. I'm actually figuring they will change some things up, gameplan some new stuff. I'd really like to see Ladarius Green back, and would hope they get Sammie Coates more involved. NE is fairly strong against the run and Belichick will take away your best weapon, which is Bell's running. This game will come down to the way Ben plays, plain and simple.

• Like 1

Agree Ben will need to play his best game to date vs the Patriots.

The Patriots are very good vs the run.

I'm guessing the first team to 30 wins , and I'm picking the Steelers for some silly reason to win.

Taking the Falcons to beat the Packers.

Patriots last 8 Quarterbacks Faced:

Brock Osweiler

Matt Moore

Jared Goff

Trevor Siemian

Ryan Fitzpatrick twice

Joe Flacco

Colin Kaepernick

Pats are gonna see an offense unlike any they've seen in half a season. If they gameplan to load 8 in the box to control Bell, Antonio Brown could have a monster game. I think an upset is possible but New England in Foxboro in January calls for a mistake free game by Pittsburgh.

Wow what a list of Qb studs lol.

The list of QB's New England has faced is brought up quite often in this debate, and while it's worth noting, I don't think it tells the entire story. Big Ben still continues to struggle away from home, and while I think he will play better against New England, you're basically asking him to play a perfect game in Foxboro against the Patriots in January.

I agree with the post saying that the Patriots will try to take Bell out of the game, and that should free up Big Ben for some opportunities in the passing game; but one or two crucial mistakes (fumble, interception, etc.) and you've already given New England too much of an advantage due to stealing extra possessions. With New England's offense likely to score in the high 20's/30's against Pittsburgh, I don't think you can afford to make any mistakes.

I think that goes both ways.

Everyone is saying the Packers/Falcons will be a horse race. It could be if all the Packers receivers play. However, take Jordy and Adams out of that offense and they look a LOT different!! Plus, Quinn has a pretty good record against Rogers lead Packers teams if you go back to his days as defensive coordinator of the Seahawks. I realize the Falcons defense isn't on that same level, but Quinn knows a thing or two about containing Rogers.

The Patriots and Steelers looks fun! The Steelers secondary can be had and can be had often! The Steelers will need to run and run some more to keep Brady and Co off the field. I don't see Belichek letting Brown beat him.

• Like 1

Yeah I just read that the Packers coach said if this was a reg season game non of his three Wr would playing.

It's a tough situation.

Things Going Against the Steelers

(stuff this Pats fan is counting on)

• PIT is undisciplined, lots of penalties
  • Ben has been a poor road QB with lots of INTs
  • PIT has a good Defense but not a ferocious, smash-mouth pass rush - that's the proven way to defeat NE (NYG, BAL, DEN, IND)
  • Deion Lewis is NE's new playoff toy - huge play making ability
  • Gillette is a house of horrors for PIT (kinda like Mile High has been for NE)
  • Belichick > Tomlin

Things Going Against the Patriots

(stuff that keeps this Pats fan awake at night)

• Ben is the first "real" QB they've seen in a while
  • Gostowski was a disaster early on - can he hit a clutch FG
  • No Gronk, is Bennett healthy? TE are critical to this offense
  • NE still doesn't really pressure the QB - bend don't break is maddenning

Brown always puts up good stats against the Patriots but to no avail. I think belichick is okay letting Brown get his as long as they can mostly shut down Bell

OL GB > ATL (at least in pass protection)

If healthy...a bit deeper at WR (obviously the health of Adams, Nelson, and Allison now affect that...as does the health of Julio)

TE GB> ATL

I don't think there is a huge disparity on the DLine between the two either. Guion and Daniels in the middle are pretty damn good. The pass rush is obviously inconsistent...but Perry, Matthews and Peppers can bring heat.

Safety...when Burnett is healthy Id rank the Packers pretty high.

CB is where GB is very weak. ILB has been weak int he past but gotten better.

I don't think ATL is superior in every position outside of QB.

And Id put McCarthy higher up as a coach as well.

• Like 1

Atlanta has too much firepower. The Steelers have no chance to win this game whatsoever. It'll be over by halftime.

Which leads us to arguably the worst super Bowl matchup in NFL history. An Atlanta team that no one gives a damn about versus a NE team that's universally despised for many reasons(cheating being the major one) and everyone is totally sick of. NE will beat Atlanta easily as they'll get all that calls and bounces as they always do. Yawn. Unwatchable schlock with the "bonus" of some BS half time show where I'm sure whatever dooshbag artist they have will take potshots at president Trump.

As usual, I just spelled it out for everyone and called it like it is. It's the troof. :). You're welcome.

OL GB > ATL (at least in pass protection)

If healthy...a bit deeper at WR (obviously the health of Adams, Nelson, and Allison now affect that...as does the health of Julio)

TE GB> ATL

I don't think there is a huge disparity on the DLine between the two either. Guion and Daniels in the middle are pretty damn good. The pass rush is obviously inconsistent...but Perry, Matthews and Peppers can bring heat.

Safety...when Burnett is healthy Id rank the Packers pretty high.

CB is where GB is very weak. ILB has been weak int he past but gotten better.

I don't think ATL is superior in every position outside of QB.

And Id put McCarthy higher up as a coach as well.

It's Ty Montgomery's 24th birthday today.

Here's hoping for a lil' birthday magic. :thumbsup:

Edit: It's Richard Rodgers' birthday (25th) today, as well. Go Pack!

Oh, and there's this:

Ed Werder @Edwerderespn 39m39 minutes ago

#Packers WR Jordy Nelson, Davante Adams and Geronimo Allison, Randall Cobb, Trevor Davis, Jeff Janis will all be active. One more than usual .

Atlanta has too much firepower. The Steelers have no chance to win this game whatsoever. It'll be over by halftime.

Which leads us to arguably the worst super Bowl matchup in NFL history. An Atlanta team that no one gives a damn about versus a NE team that's universally despised for many reasons(cheating being the major one) and everyone is totally sick of. NE will beat Atlanta easily as they'll get all that calls and bounces as they always do. Yawn. Unwatchable schlock with the "bonus" of some BS half time show where I'm sure whatever dooshbag artist they have will take potshots at president Trump.

As usual, I just spelled it out for everyone and called it like it is. It's the troof. :). You're welcome.

NFL knows this too though. Green Bay may get some real generous calls today.

Green Bay vs NE: yes people would watch. Rodgers/Brady. Belichick/McCarthy. Lovable franchise vs evil empire. History from GB beating NE in 96 Super Bowl. What's not to love?

Green Bay vs Pitt: not nearly as good but still some excitement.

Atlanta vs Pitt: snooze

Atlanta vs NE: people hate NE so they'll tune in hoping to see them lose, but that's about it.

Oh no I'm looking forward to a Super Bowl with the Falcons and the Steelers.

Can't wait to see how Vegas sees it.