Sign in to follow this  
phillybear

***Official Seattle Seahawks Thread 2012***

DT/NT Aubrayo Franklin, played for New Orleans last year and prior to that San Francisco, was visiting Seattle yesterday. No word on how it went.

The 2010 NFL Draft Picks by Seattle Seahawks

1 #6 Russell Okung T Oklahoma State

1 #14 Earl Thomas S Texas

2 #60 Golden Tate WR Notre Dame

4 #111 Walter Thurmond CB Oregon

4 #127 E.J. Wilson DE North Carolina

5 #133 Kam Chancellor FS Virginia Tech

6 #185 Anthony McCoy TE Southern Cal

7 #236 Dexter Davis DE Arizona State

7 #245 Jameson Konz WR Kent State

1.06: Okung - B grade. Not because he's not awesome when playing, but he's been injured far too much. Then again, so was Big Walt in the first two years of his career, so there's still hope.

1.14: Thomas - A+ grade. The cornerstone of the pass defense.

2.60: Tate - D-minus grade. If he doesn't pick it up in training camp I think this guy is a camp casualty. Has done next to nothing at the pro level, a big swing and a miss given where he was drafted.

4.111 Thurmond - B-minus grade. We got him relatively cheap in the 4th rd because of injury concerns, and has since then done little to dispel the notion that he's...injury-prone. When healthy, a great addition to the defense. I just don't know if he can stay healthy.

4.127 EJ Wilson - F grade. Epic fail.

5.133 Chancellor - A+ grade. You don't normally find a pro bowl player in the 5th rd. This, plus Thomas, make this a solid draft for JS and PC.

6.185 McCoy. B grade. Has chance to show what he can do this year after we lost Carlson.

7.236 Davis - B grade. I think we'll see more of him this year, especially since Clemons is 31. He can't maintain his pace from last few years.

7.245 Konz. B grade. He's one of those 'an athlete, not a football player' types. He could probably look like he's bewildered at 3 or 4 different positions on the team, both offense and defense. Then again, for a 7th rd pick, not bad. Maybe just needs some more coaching.

DT/NT Aubrayo Franklin, played for New Orleans last year and prior to that San Francisco, was visiting Seattle yesterday. No word on how it went.

Really? We would be stacked up the middle with him.

Per Danny O'Neil Twitter, Seattle Times: LBs Leroy Hill and Matt McCoy resigned to 1 year deals with Seahawks.

To nobody's surprise, well, readers of this thread anyway, Leroy Hill resigns and will compete for his starting job. McCoy is a special team standout and gets some time at LB in deeper packages, but is coming off knee surgery.

For the life of me, I can't see a starting slot that we don't at least have an adequate starter for at this point, with competition all over the place, with shocking depth at defensive line and the linebacker situation status quo (swapping out Rudd for Hawthorne). It's safe to say the plan for the draft is best player available with every pick. This is a very good situation to be in.

Per Danny O'Neil Twitter, Seattle Times: LBs Leroy Hill and Matt McCoy resigned to 1 year deals with Seahawks.

To nobody's surprise, well, readers of this thread anyway, Leroy Hill resigns and will compete for his starting job. McCoy is a special team standout and gets some time at LB in deeper packages, but is coming off knee surgery.

For the life of me, I can't see a starting slot that we don't at least have an adequate starter for at this point, with competition all over the place, with shocking depth at defensive line and the linebacker situation status quo (swapping out Rudd for Hawthorne). It's safe to say the plan for the draft is best player available with every pick. This is a very good situation to be in.

Great news.

I'd personally still like to get a DE and another LB. But this is for sure a great position to be in. It can even allow us to trade down for more picks this year, or even for next year too.

While we plugged up our holes and upgraded some key spots, going into the draft as totally best player available is both exhilarating and scary. It shows how far and fast the rebuilding has gone. But it opens up a world of possibilities, some of which I don't like.

I don't want Tannehill, and either Cleveland or Miami can do us a huge favor and draft this long term project before #12 pick comes around. If not, I'll be on suicide watch for at least 15 minutes on that draft day Thursday.

We could go WR. Justin Blackmon is a top 6 pick. Michael Floyd is expected to now go in the first 12 picks. Kendall Wright is mid to later first rounder. Stephen Hill and Reuben Randle are going at the end of the first, top of the 2nd. I might be OK with this. We have a sold group of wideouts, which can be much better if Flynn can meet expectations, but if Rice can't stay healthy, you need another talented guy. We've wasted picks on Deon Butler and Golden Tate, but have not really tried to draft a really good WR with a high pick since, what, Koren Robinson?

We could go offensive line yet again. I would really hate this option, but if David DeCastro OG or Riley Reiff OT are there, do you spend another high pick on the line? Carpenter, Moffit, Unger, Okung. That's a lot of high draft picks recently, with mixed results.

Running back? No way. Trent Richardson probably won't be there, but I want no part of him. There will be 5 or 6 better backs waiting in the mid rounds to be scooped up, and another 20 just as good. Don't over value the SEC players.

We currently sit in a pocket of where a bucket full of high quality DE, DT, and LB will fall (Coples, Kuechley, Ingram, Cox, Brockers, Poe). We need someone that can rush the passer, or take a guy that will quarterback the defense from the MLB. So much money is being spent in the cap on offense, we are going to add defense in this draft early and often.

That was some stuff rattling around in my empty skull. I liked the reviews of the past drafts some of you added. It was interesting. I'll add my thoughts this weekend.

Good Stuff Phillybear,

I couldn't agree more with everything you said there. (Maybe not so much about Richardson, as I like him - But everything else)

I DO agree we could land a good RB late though.

I so hope Tannehill is not on the radar as well. I'm also a little nervous with all the QB's they've been looking at. Maybe it's just process.

I do think they will stay away from QB until later in the draft though, since we got Flynn. But, you never know. I think Miami will take him so we won't have to worry about it. Cross my fingers. :)

I'd like to get a WR in the 2nd. There will be some really good ones there.

A "small" trade down in the 1st would be sweet too. My personal favorites in order are Whitney Mercilus, Dont'a Hightower, Luke Kuechly, Melvin Ingram. (Maybe Upshaw, Decastro, Floyd)

Blackmon would be a no brainer for me if he was there.

"We currently sit in a pocket of where a bucket full of high quality DE, DT, and LB will fall (Coples, Kuechley, Ingram, Cox, Brockers, Poe). "

I want no part of that man!

"We currently sit in a pocket of where a bucket full of high quality DE, DT, and LB will fall (Coples, Kuechley, Ingram, Cox, Brockers, Poe). "

I want no part of that man!

That's interesting. Coples was buried by Mayock the other day.

Also, any LBs we look at, it seems Pete wants guys that can cover in pass coverage. He built the defensive line to stop the run, and with the pass heavy offenses we see in the league now, and Pete with his defensive backfield background, we are going to target pass coverage LBs. KJ Wright is not more talented than Leroy Hill nor David Hawthorne, yet he was the only one with a lock on a job the entire offseason. Cover, cover, cover. So, regardless of what happens in the first round, Kuechley is the most likely possibility to fit, in the 2nd round, you may see a pick of Zach Brown, a cover OLB, while I scream my head off to draft Vinny Curry at DE. I see a lot more of defensive sets this year with 4-2-5 and 4-1-6, with guys like Chancellor having the flexibility to play a linebacker role and KJ Wright covering a WR. But I'd get familiar with the TCU 4-2-5 defense, year in and year out one of the most dominant defenses in college, as that seems to be what Seattle is staring to emulate. So we could go corner early in this year's draft too. And why we didn't go bonkers in filling the LB holes, as they will be key only on running downs. But we will see.

That's interesting. Coples was buried by Mayock the other day.

Also, any LBs we look at, it seems Pete wants guys that can cover in pass coverage. He built the defensive line to stop the run, and with the pass heavy offenses we see in the league now, and Pete with his defensive backfield background, we are going to target pass coverage LBs. KJ Wright is not more talented than Leroy Hill nor David Hawthorne, yet he was the only one with a lock on a job the entire offseason. Cover, cover, cover. So, regardless of what happens in the first round, Kuechley is the most likely possibility to fit, in the 2nd round, you may see a pick of Zach Brown, a cover OLB, while I scream my head off to draft Vinny Curry at DE. I see a lot more of defensive sets this year with 4-2-5 and 4-1-6, with guys like Chancellor having the flexibility to play a linebacker role and KJ Wright covering a WR. But I'd get familiar with the TCU 4-2-5 defense, year in and year out one of the most dominant defenses in college, as that seems to be what Seattle is staring to emulate. So we could go corner early in this year's draft too. And why we didn't go bonkers in filling the LB holes, as they will be key only on running downs. But we will see.

I have no issues with any DE we could take in rounds 1 or 2, other than Coples.

I think he's lazy, a flat out head case, and in this thing only for his signing bonus. I scream bust, Bust, BUST till my head turns blue!

I haven't been paying much attention to this year's draft, but I heard Brian Billick comparing Tannehill to Jamarcus Russell yesterday.

I've been a opponent for guys like Tannenhill and Foles, and a proponent for guys like Clemons and Cousins since around Thanksgiving.

I have no issues with any DE we could take in rounds 1 or 2, other than Coples.

I think he's lazy, a flat out head case, and in this thing only for his signing bonus. I scream bust, Bust, BUST till my head turns blue!

I don't think Coples will be bust, but I see issues with him. I think he is lazy at times, etc. and I don't see him as a consistent player. One year he might explode in sacks, then others he'll get you 4-6. I don't see a playmaker and somebody to count on.

But, I still have him over Perry.

But, I'd MUCH rather have Whitney Mercilus/DE. He's my #1 rated "true" DE.

I'm not a fan of Curry either! I'll be happy if they pass over him in the 2nd actually.

I'd prefer to go WR there anyway. There will be some 1st round talent at WR in the 2nd for us.

(RB's are strong there also)

I don't think Coples will be bust, but I see issues with him. I think he is lazy at times, etc. and I don't see him as a consistent player. One year he might explode in sacks, then others he'll get you 4-6. I don't see a playmaker and somebody to count on.

But, I still have him over Perry.

But, I'd MUCH rather have Whitney Mercilus/DE. He's my #1 rated "true" DE.

I'm not a fan of Curry either! I'll be happy if they pass over him in the 2nd actually.

I'd prefer to go WR there anyway. There will be some 1st round talent at WR in the 2nd for us.

(RB's are strong there also)

For Mercilus, I'd want to trade down maybe 5-6 spots, then take him. #12 is probably too early for him. Flip flop with San Diego, Chicago, Tennessee, since Cincy is notorious for not making draft day trades and they have a pair of picks there.

I really liked watching Curry with Marshall. So many times he showed first round talent and just dominated the line of scrimmage. Excellent pass rusher, quick, pursues very well, relentless snap to snap, nose for the ball with all his forced fumbles and tackles for losses, and his run defense got better over time. Just throwing out a name to keep in mind.

I'll have to watch Curry some more on tapes... I thought he was somewhat lazy on tapes. Seemed like he took plays off and looked slow. Also, seemed more like a LB then a DE.

I'll look again though. It's been awhile.

I agree Whitney makes more sense if we could trade down a few spots first, and I think we might look to trade down anyway.

However, they've always taken there man even if it's a little early. And 12-19 is all pretty similar rank. I think Whitney would not be that much of a reach at 12, especially if Coples goes like 7-9 first.

Here's the thing. Where would Whitney go if he duplicated those stats for his Sr. Year? Top 5 easy I say.

I'm good for a trade down though, then target him, Hightower, Upshaw, etc.

Gain the extra pick.

You have to understand how Carroll and Schneider address free agency and the draft. There are so many compartments to both, that you can grab players many, many different ways. While free agency and undrafted free agent pickups and trades have overall been successes, the draft has had mixed results. And I'm a tough critic and won't find too many people agreeing with me.

The 2011 NFL Draft Picks by Seattle Seahawks

1 #25 James Carpenter Tackle Alabama Crimson Tide

3 #75 John Moffitt Guard Wisconsin Badgers

4 #99 K. J. Wright Linebacker Mississippi State Bulldogs

4 #107 Kris Durham Wide Receiver Georgia Bulldogs

5 #154 Richard Sherman Defensive Back Stanford Cardinal

5 #156 Mark LeGree Free Safety Appalachian State Mountaineers

6 #173 Byron Maxwell Defensive Back Clemson Tigers

7 #205 Lazarius Levingston Defensive End LSU Tigers

7 #242 Malcolm Smith Outside Linebacker USC Trojans

This shouldn't take long, as I only did one single commentary on the draft at that time. Of course, it can get better or worse over time.

Since I was boycotting this site during the draft, let me just state that the most recent draft that just took place I graded out as an F-.

It was a steaming hunk of crap. I hadn't even been that harsh in judgment for any of the Ruskell drafts. We made Whitsitt look like a genius. Bring back Ken Behring. Every pick was a HUGE reach, and half the players I did not have on my top 400 players available. It was a disgrace to watch us take two absolute stiffs on offensive line, and then draft projects the rest of the way. None of the projects will be contributors, ever. It was watching D1ck Van Dyke trip over the same dam ottoman every dam time. Drafting to fill niches. A tall WR for the red zone. A LB that has long arms. Corners that can't run or cover. Ever hear of trying to draft every down players, or at least guys that might play more than 4 snaps a game if they aren't inactive or the practice squad? Why not grab a long snapper in back to back rounds. And how the hell do you not address the biggest need on the team, the defensive line? The second biggest need was defensive secondary. Hell, the offensive line wasn't in the top 3 of most important parts of the team to upgrade for the last offseason.

I was embarrassed by the effort of Carroll and Schneider. Why don't they understand the concept of value? Jumping Jehosophat, we lucked into Okung and Thomas last year, as it now looks. Look at the rest of that draft. Did we add much else? We are currently the 4th best team in the division, and the future looks bleaker than an Edgar Allen Poe tale. I haven't slept in 4 months. I have no expectations as we go through the motions and win 4 games behind the uninspired play of "Close My Eyes and Pray It's a Completion" Touchdown Jesus or maybe that stiff of a QB that washed out in Minnesota behind the best offensive line in football and Adrian Petersen running the ball. Wheeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!! Are we having fun yet? Stop this world, I want to get off.

1 #25 James Carpenter Tackle Alabama Crimson Tide F-

3 #75 John Moffitt Guard Wisconsin Badgers C-

4 #99 K. J. Wright Linebacker Mississippi State Bulldogs B

4 #107 Kris Durham Wide Receiver Georgia Bulldogs F-

5 #154 Richard Sherman Defensive Back Stanford Cardinal A+

5 #156 Mark LeGree Free Safety Appalachian State Mountaineers F

6 #173 Byron Maxwell Defensive Back Clemson Tigers D+

7 #205 Lazarius Levingston Defensive End LSU Tigers D+

7 #242 Malcolm Smith Outside Linebacker USC Trojans C-

Carpenter was a 3rd round talent taken as a huge reach in the first round, and before he got injured, sucked all over the field. Yeah, first year offensive linemen need time to develop. I can only grade him on what I saw, not if he ever returns from an injury nor if he ever stops sucking. Backup after backup that went into the game outperformed him by a mile. Still can't forget Saban open mouthed laughing at his table when Carpenter's name was announced that early. For that pick, it was on a Ruskell level of failure. A project that will probably have to play at another position than for what he was drafted for in order to save his career.

Moffitt looks better only because Carpenter sucked so much worse. Until Moffit and Carpenter both got hurt, Lynch couldn't find any room to run. Coincidence? He could still become serviceable at guard if he is book ended with better players. Not a total lost cause, but leaves a lot to be desired. Still, I haven't totally thrown in the towel on him.

Wright. I hated the pick based on the talent left on the board when we were picking. Carroll and Schneider had all night to prepared for the 2nd pick overall on Saturday, and this is what they got. Fine, Wright will start for us, and can cover. He is just not a very good all around LB, but in his OLB chasing role, that is probably good enough. The fact that Curry might the be the dumbest football player in NFL history makes Wright look like Lawrence Taylor. Fourth round pick, will start, let's see what the kid can do. I'll be open minded about it. Seriously. If I gave Curry a bunch of chances, Wright deserves at least that much.

Kris Durham. I can't believe this guy wasn't an UDFA. He showed me nothing at AJ Green University, showing no ability to benefit from having the best college WR line up on the same line of scrimmage. A complete non factor. Yet, a 4th round pick. He was not on any draft list I ever came across. He's done nothing since he got here, and frankly I can't imagine he will be on the team by Week One.

Richard Sherman. Well, Carroll and Schneider threw a bunch of crap against a wall for the defensive backfield, and Sherman proved to be a sticky motherfocker. Pressed into the starting lineup with injuries and such, and outperformed any expectations anyone could have had for a 5th round pick. Please, don't regress.

Mark LeGree. Throw crap against a wall, and some of it doesn't stick. Buhbye.

Byron Maxwell. Also thrown against the wall. Plays special teams and is deep roster filler. Will have some trouble making the team this fall.

Pep Levingston. On the roster. Made one tackle last year. That is what he brought last year. Sigh. This was our big move last year to improve the defensive line. Sigh. Won't make the team this fall.

Malcolm Smith. A USC player that stayed on the roster? You don't say? Shocked. Well, he played a little, and was jaw jacked as a guy that could contribute this year. I'll believe it when I see it, but he is a late pick, so...OK. Might make the team this year again.

In retrospect, I have to stick to my guns. I'll upgrade it from a F- to a D+. Richard Sherman is a bonafide starter and KJ Wright is a starter, possibly by default. I guess Moffit will be plugged in again. No one else will start the year or contribute for a while, if ever. Not good, guys, not good. I welcome all comments, disagreements, and go ahead an call me an miserable, pessimistic assh0le.

Initial reactions:

Bam. I might know much, but I know...stuff.

Okung drops into our lap. Take that, Ruskell. This front office is 1 for 1. Sh!t. Fock. Shotfick.

Okung #4 on my draft board, and #1 Left Tackle. Way back before our offseason thread got deleted, I said Okung was the only offensive lineman worth taking in the top 10.

Thank you NFL Network for not going to commercial.

I need to find something to complain about. This is some kind of dual timeline, and I don't feel comfortable in my skin.

I'm stunned we didn't trade down, so many teams traded up, so many teams reached, and we got #4 and #8 on my board in the first round.

I have no words.

Golden Tate #48 on my board.

Carroll got his playmaker. I like all 3 picks so far.

4.13 Walter Thurmond, CB, Oregon

A bit of a reach. I had him going around #135, a fifth round value. We clearly need defensive backfield help, so I'll let this one pass, hoping Carroll can still recognize the talent of defensive backs.

Edit: and USC played in the same conference at Oregon.

4.29 EJ Wilson, DE, North Carolina

Reeeeeeach with this pick. #239 overall.

Better vs run, technique problems, overachieved to even get drafted. As much as DE is a need, we need guys that can get to the QB. This guy can't.

5.2 Kam Chancellor, CB, Virginia Tech

The value is OK, as I had him ranked in this range. I have no complains about wanting to rebuild the secondary. He is a corner/safety, so he likely to challenge somebody for a starting spot, either Josh Wilson or Babineaux.

I suppose I could complain that there were higher rated players still on the board, including defensive backs.

6.16 Anthony McCoy, TE, USC

It was inevitable that Carroll would draft a USC guy. It's a value pick, as I had McCoy at #124, going in the fourth round. At this point, take best player available. I only had 10 players ahead of McCoy on the board as of right now. But almost half of them were Defensive Ends, and Tony Pike QB. I'm not complaining about this pick.

Dexter Davis, DE, Arizona St

#266 on my list, so I certainly consider it a bit of a reach. Again, it's a Pac-10 players, so I guess I give the benefit of the doubt. I actually had him listed as linebacker/defensive back. So, I'm assuming this is the guy that will back up Aaron Curry.

Jameson Konz, FB/TE, Kent

#211 on my list, and why is anybody listing this guy as a WR?

FOCK.

FOCK.

FOCK.

FOCK.

FOCK.

FOCK.

How do you not take a QB? We added 20 players today, and none of them were QB's. Fock, how short sighted can you be? Petey, oh Petey, if you think you can avoid death threats from me, think again. I will focking peel off your face and replace it with felt. You fock. I'm going to rape you furniture, molest your pets, and spread marmalade on your roof.

1 #6 Russell Okung T Oklahoma StateB

1 #14 Earl Thomas S Texas A+

2 #60 Golden Tate WR Notre Dame F

4 #111 Walter Thurmond CB Oregon D+

4 #127 E.J. Wilson DE North Carolina F

5 #133 Kam Chancellor FS Virginia Tech A+

6 #185 Anthony McCoy TE Southern Cal D+

7 #236 Dexter Davis DE Arizona State D-

7 #245 Jameson Konz WR Kent StateD-

I really liked the pick of Okung at the time. It's unfortunate that he blew out both his ankles season one, and then got cheapshotted/bountied by a dirty Eagles player and was out the rest of the 2nd season. He has shown flashes of his all world talent and ability, but he has to stay healthy.

Earl Thomas fell into our laps, and he has been tremendous.

Golden Tate has been lazy from the beginning and is wasting his enormous talents. If he doesn't make a 180 in attitude, he will not make the final roster. He's come up smallest when team WR injuries were the most widespread.

Thurmond has a lot of talent and size. Unfortunately, his body and legs are breaking down. It would be nice to see this kid healthy, but we evaluate only by what has been contributed.

EJ Wilson was on the team until November of his drafted year. Bust.

Chancellor was a finding a gold nugget in a pan full of cat turds. All NFL thumper, great pair with Earl Thomas. I actually reacted positively when he was taken, so that was a clue that he wouldn't suck.

Anthony McCoy. Thought he was a good value pick at the time. But the guy just can't catch the ball with his butter fingers. What a waste of potential. I've given up on him.

Dexter Davis. Deep reserve still on the team, plays occassionally in situational roles, will be fighting for his roster life this summer.

Konz. Deep reserve still on team, without a position. Will be fighting for his roster life this summer.

I liked both draft day player trades, with Leon Washington working out, and even though two potential starters in Lendale White and Kevin Vickerson were cut, it was a decent gamble.

Revised draft grade: C-. The picks of Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor and the potential of Okung overcame a lack of anything else worthwhile. Still, two ProBowlers and another one if he stays healthy.

Initial reactions:

1 #6 Russell Okung T Oklahoma StateB

1 #14 Earl Thomas S Texas A+

2 #60 Golden Tate WR Notre Dame F

4 #111 Walter Thurmond CB Oregon D+

4 #127 E.J. Wilson DE North Carolina F

5 #133 Kam Chancellor FS Virginia Tech A+

6 #185 Anthony McCoy TE Southern Cal D+

7 #236 Dexter Davis DE Arizona State D-

7 #245 Jameson Konz WR Kent StateD-

I really liked the pick of Okung at the time. It's unfortunate that he blew out both his ankles season one, and then got cheapshotted/bountied by a dirty Eagles player and was out the rest of the 2nd season. He has shown flashes of his all world talent and ability, but he has to stay healthy.

Earl Thomas fell into our laps, and he has been tremendous.

Golden Tate has been lazy from the beginning and is wasting his enormous talents. If he doesn't make a 180 in attitude, he will not make the final roster. He's come up smallest when team WR injuries were the most widespread.

Thurmond has a lot of talent and size. Unfortunately, his body and legs are breaking down. It would be nice to see this kid healthy, but we evaluate only by what has been contributed.

EJ Wilson was on the team until November of his drafted year. Bust.

Chancellor was a finding a gold nugget in a pan full of cat turds. All NFL thumper, great pair with Earl Thomas. I actually reacted positively when he was taken, so that was a clue that he wouldn't suck.

Anthony McCoy. Thought he was a good value pick at the time. But the guy just can't catch the ball with his butter fingers. What a waste of potential. I've given up on him.

Dexter Davis. Deep reserve still on the team, plays occassionally in situational roles, will be fighting for his roster life this summer.

Konz. Deep reserve still on team, without a position. Will be fighting for his roster life this summer.

I liked both draft day player trades, with Leon Washington working out, and even though two potential starters in Lendale White and Kevin Vickerson were cut, it was a decent gamble.

Revised draft grade: C-. The picks of Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor and the potential of Okung overcame a lack of anything else worthwhile. Still, two ProBowlers and another one if he stays healthy.

Our grades for the 2010 draft are not that different, but we have different philosophies about this. My expectations for a 6th or 7th rd pick is that it is a small victory if the guy makes the roster at all, and a big victory if he is a starter on offense or defense. Massive victory if he is a Pro Bowler. And that is because, historically, most 6th and 7th rounders don't turn into anything. Notwithstanding the Doug Baldwins of the world who show up occasionally and make everyone scratch their heads why this guy wasn't drafted at all. Seems like you are looking at it in a more absolute way, namely, forget where he was drafted: is he contributing or not, and if he is, at what level? So a marginal player gets a marginal passing grade. Not saying that my way is right and yours is wrong, just different.

Our 2011 grades are pretty different though, mainly because I have a better grade on Moffitt and giving more benefit of the doubt for Carpenter at a different position. I might be too optimistic on the latter.

Our grades for the 2010 draft are not that different, but we have different philosophies about this. My expectations for a 6th or 7th rd pick is that it is a small victory if the guy makes the roster at all, and a big victory if he is a starter on offense or defense. Massive victory if he is a Pro Bowler. And that is because, historically, most 6th and 7th rounders don't turn into anything. Notwithstanding the Doug Baldwins of the world who show up occasionally and make everyone scratch their heads why this guy wasn't drafted at all. Seems like you are looking at it in a more absolute way, namely, forget where he was drafted: is he contributing or not, and if he is, at what level? So a marginal player gets a marginal passing grade. Not saying that my way is right and yours is wrong, just different.

Our 2011 grades are pretty different though, mainly because I have a better grade on Moffitt and giving more benefit of the doubt for Carpenter at a different position. I might be too optimistic on the latter.

It's a delicate balancing act. Although I tend to be a pessimist by nature, I really tried to give it some thought. Some guys I really like when we got them and thought they would be solid, but injuries or non performance have made me realistically question their contributions (Thurmond, McCoy). You can give some weight to potential future performance if they have flashed ability (Okung), but simply making a roster is not contributing, but keeping a roster spot warm for a real contributor. I know that front offices and coaches want to keep as many draft picks around as they can to make their drafts look better, but if I don't see real evidence of contribution of real evidence that they will ever contribute, it's a poor pick. Think Aaron Curry. Think David Greene. And it's a worse grade if you are not contributing and were a high pick (Tate, Carpenter, guys I was harsh with for merit). Injuries is a hard part to factor in, but I tried to keep in mind what they were doing prior to injury too. The team has done a terrific job of bringing in undrafted free agents last year. Doug Baldwin, Brandon Browner, Jeron Johnson, Ricardo Lockette, Josh Portis. Consider, we didn't spend draft capital on them, and what kind of grade you would give them. Then, compare to the Pep Levingstons and Byron Maxwells type of draft picks. If we brought in these lower picks as UDFA, OK, let's be patient. But we spent picks, which are valuable, no matter what round they are in.

Of course, the beauty of it all, we can find these lists next year, and do an evaluation all over again. :banana:

Saw our old pal, Canadian superstar RB Jesse Lumsden this week on TV. Injuries cost him a career in the NFL and the CFL (shoulder), but he beat Mantracker on the TV show on the Science channel. Too bad he couldn't transition like Browner, but Holmgren didn't give him a real shot at any point. Just a guy with great vision and unbelievable break away speed.

Bad News for Tannehill haters

Rotoworld per Peter King

He kinda reminds me of Kyle Boehler

Mind games. They would never reveal themselves as such huge Tannehill fans if they really wanted Tannehill. Mind games before the draft.

I hope. :unsure:

Mind games. They would never reveal themselves as such huge Tannehill fans if they really wanted Tannehill. Mind games before the draft.

I hope. :unsure:

I know nothing about the guy other then the opinions I've heard from others, none which have been good.

It would be a letdown taking a QB with a top 15 pick after signing Flynn. Hopefully this is just a smokescreen. With how enamored teams seem to get with guys in shorts he likely wont even be there.

I know nothing about the guy other then the opinions I've heard from others, none which have been good.

It would be a letdown taking a QB with a top 15 pick after signing Flynn. Hopefully this is just a smokescreen. With how enamored teams seem to get with guys in shorts he likely wont even be there.

He's got physical tools. He has a strong arm, can make all the throws. However, he's started around a dozen games in college, a converted WR. Anyone remember Akili Smith? To be a QB, you have to have the physical and mental skills, reading defenses, checking down, sliding in the pocket, sensing pressure, leading 2 minute drill, breaking down game tape, etc. We don't know if Tannehill is capable of the mental stuff, or if he can learn it over time. It's a crapshoot. Part of it is instinct, and some QBs can never develop despite being able to throw a ball thru a brick wall. It's one of the reasons I'm OK with Flynn. Supposedly he has the mental thing learned now after being schooled by Aaron Rodgers. Ricardo Lockette's been doing some off season training with Flynn, and says he can throw the ball 70 yards no problem, so that has my curiosity piqued a bit. I'd rather take the best player on the board and gamble on a Chandler Harnish (all purpose QB who did a pre draft visit to Seattle) or Zach Collaros (tons of accuracy) much, much later in the draft to compete with Josh Portis.

Could Tannehill become a great QB. Sure. But he isn't now, and I don't want to spend our current first pick for him because he is so raw. At best, he will be 3rd string this year, 2nd string after T Jax leaves next year, and in 3 years compete for the starting job.

Danny O'Neil‏@dannyoneil

#Packers reporter @TomSilverstein reporters #Seahawks host Green Bay Sept. 24 on Monday Night Football.

:shocking: :banana: :shocking:

1 Sep 09 SEA @ ARI University of Phoenix Stadium 4:15 PM FOX

2 Sep 16 DAL @ SEA CenturyLink Field 4:05 PM FOX

3 Sep 24 GB @ SEA CenturyLink Field 8:30 PM ESPN

4 Sep 30 SEA @ STL Edward Jones Dome 1:00 PM FOX

5 Oct 07 SEA @ CAR Bank of America Stadium 4:05 PM FOX

6 Oct 14 NE @ SEA CenturyLink Field 4:05 PM CBS

7 Oct 18 SEA @ SF Candlestick Park 8:20 PM NFLN

8 Oct 28 SEA @ DET Ford Field 1:00 PM FOX

9 Nov 04 MIN @ SEA CenturyLink Field 4:05 PM FOX

10 Nov 11 NYJ @ SEA CenturyLink Field 4:05 PM CBS

12 Nov 25 SEA @ MIA Sun Life Stadium 1:00 PM FOX

13 Dec 02 SEA @ CHI Soldier Field 1:00 PM FOX

14 Dec 09 ARI @ SEA CenturyLink Field 4:15 PM FOX

15 Dec 16 SEA @ BUF Rogers Centre 4:05 PM FOX

16 Dec 23 SF @ SEA CenturyLink Field 4:15 PM FOX

17 Dec 30 STL @ SEA CenturyLink Field 4:15 PM FOX

Arizona, San Fran, St Louis all at home, in the final month of the season. I like that.

At Chicago again. Ho, hum. Every year.

Here's another Peter King tidbit, already partially quoted earlier in this thread:

Ten things I think I think with this year's draft approaching

4. In the unlikely event Tannehill makes it out of the top 10, I believe he'll be the 11th overall pick. That spot belongs to the Chiefs. I don't see the Chiefs taking Tannehill. I see Kansas City taking the best offer for the pick, and there will certainly be offers for that pick if Tannehill slips. Still, the most likely scenarios are Tannehill to Cleveland at four or Miami at eight. But why 11? Because teams around the league know how much Seattle loves Tannehill. And you can write this down: If Tannehill were to be there at 12, Seattle would take him, even though the Seahawks just paid medium dollar for Matt Flynn in free agency. That's how much Seattle loves him. "At Tannehill's workout,'' one source told me, "[coach] Pete Carroll was giggling like a schoolgirl watching him throw. His attitude was like, 'What are we even doing here? He'll never be there for us.' ''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/04/16/countdown/index.html#ixzz1sMy6xPWx

Awesome devious tactic if this is really only a ploy by Carroll/Schneider to force another team to pull the trigger early.

Arizona, San Fran, St Louis all at home, in the final month of the season. I like that.

At Chicago again. Ho, hum. Every year.

Isn't this our 4th year in a row at Chicago?

Here's another Peter King tidbit, already partially quoted earlier in this thread:

Ten things I think I think with this year's draft approaching

4. In the unlikely event Tannehill makes it out of the top 10, I believe he'll be the 11th overall pick. That spot belongs to the Chiefs. I don't see the Chiefs taking Tannehill. I see Kansas City taking the best offer for the pick, and there will certainly be offers for that pick if Tannehill slips. Still, the most likely scenarios are Tannehill to Cleveland at four or Miami at eight. But why 11? Because teams around the league know how much Seattle loves Tannehill. And you can write this down: If Tannehill were to be there at 12, Seattle would take him, even though the Seahawks just paid medium dollar for Matt Flynn in free agency. That's how much Seattle loves him. "At Tannehill's workout,'' one source told me, "[coach] Pete Carroll was giggling like a schoolgirl watching him throw. His attitude was like, 'What are we even doing here? He'll never be there for us.' ''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/04/16/countdown/index.html#ixzz1sMy6xPWx

Awesome devious tactic if this is really only a ploy by Carroll/Schneider to force another team to pull the trigger early.

Yeah, I saw that Peter King article too. He's isn't right all that much, but multiple sources are saying the same thing. Sigh.

Either the front office is very clever or very dumb with this leak. Not much wiggle room between the two.

Isn't this our 4th year in a row at Chicago?

Feels like the 7th.

Other notes:

The late season game vs Buffalo will be in Toronto, in a dome.

The first half of the season is going to be key. The need is to tread water vs a challenging gauntlet. Because the 2nd half of the season, the Seahawks could realistically go 7-1.

The monday nighter versus Green Bay.

New England

And the Toronto game against Buffalo.

Are the high lights for me this year. I'll be pumped for all 3 of those games.

:headbanger:

Only one cold-weather game on the road, which is the 5th annual 'hey, let's visit Chicago again...we love Chicago!' road trip.

Back to back home games at end of year.

Late bye week, which I like, since more likely to have bigger incidence of bumps and bruises later in the season than earlier.

First three divisional games on road, last three at home.

Jets game later in the year, giving us plenty of time to watch that budding QB controversy really take wings.

All in all, I like how this looks, although I'm a bit worried about that Week 5-8 stretch with Carolina, Pats, Niners and Lions. I'm assuming that Newton with a 2nd year under his belt will be even more dangerous than last year.

First impression, a 3-5 start culminates with a 6-2 finish and a battle for the 6th seed.

Last time Chicago came to Seattle was the Green jersey game where Cutler and Duh Bears had to rally and win in the last minute against the Seneca Wallace lead Hawks.

Can't really complain about that as the rest of the schedule is fairly kind. Marshall will be suspended and Forte will be crying about a lack of touches by the time the Hawks head back up to Chicago. Jay Cutler's greatest win ever (2010 playoffs) will be a distant memory by then.

Ok, I have a question for the Seahawks fans. I'm doing a mock and Michael Floyd and Coples are both there at 12. Which way do they go?

Ok, I have a question for the Seahawks fans. I'm doing a mock and Michael Floyd and Coples are both there at 12. Which way do they go?

I'd take Coples, since I have him sitting at #7 overall on the draft board, Floyd about a half a dozen slots lower. However, a couple of the other guys in the thread don't want any part of Coples. I'm just one opinion.

The main drawback with Coples is his motivation. His talent is unquestioned, he is the most talented DE in the draft. Pete Carroll can motivate with the best of them. I didn't like the coaching issues going on in North Carolina the last few years and wonder if it affected Coples. Given that so few WRs get drafted in the first round anymore, and that Carroll and Schneider have outright said that they need to concentrate on the defensive side of the ball for this draft, I'd go Coples, the best player on the board in a key need area, rushing the passer. We only have one guy on the roster that can do that right now, Chris Clemons.

I think they'd go with the best available pass rusher. It's easily the most glaring need on the team now.

I don't know much about Coples other then the bits I've picked up off ESPN and around here, but I haven't been too impressed with defensive linemen who've come out of UNC the last few years. Maybe Quinn could be alright.

If Wright can move to MLB, I think there is a good chance we draft Luke K. He might be better served to be on the outside, so then they move Write in the middle. The value is there at 12 for Luke probably.

I'm still hoping they sign Hawthorne though.

Coples makes a lot of sense also at 12.

I agree with trade down, but not sure anybody would want to move up there unless T. Richardson falls. And if he falls, maybe we should be taking him. Picks 7-18 I think are all pretty close in value. Might be hard to trade down.

You guy's should look at tape on Whittney Mercilus/Illinois. I know he's not valued until around 20th pick or so. But, I really like this kid. He's a pressure guy and sack artist on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down that we need. I see him as a true DE as he can do run support also.

I would reach on him...... He actually fits what we need. I think he'll be better then Coples.

If you do look at him, let me know what's not to like? I think he's a beast.

I'm NOT in favor of drafting any DT. I do like Cox a lot, but we are loaded at DT. I see that Phillybear posted about 4-5 DT's. I'm not a fan of most of those guy's at 12 at all.

Drafting a guard so high just sucks. I don't really want Decastro at 12. I like him, but another O-line guy? That would be 3 years we do this. I think our Line should come together, and if not you go about it a different way after all these high picks we've spent.

I'm hearing a lot of love for Upshaw. I like Hightower better though. Hightower is a MLB.

I agree with you on Mercilus. I'm beggining to hope my Titans get him @ 20. I've been hoping Barron falls, or Decastro, but I don't see either of those happening. Pairing Decastro with Hutch would be sweet, assuming we also replace our bum center.

I'm pretty disappointed we did not resign him. Can't believe they pulled the offer off the table too. :(

I think that pretty much means we go LB at #12 in my view. In fact, probably go LB 2 or 3 times during this draft.

(Luke, Hightower, Ingram, or Upshaw I would guess)

I think you guys should take the kid from BC Kutechly or something? That kid looks like a stud.

I think you guys should take the kid from BC Kutechly or something? That kid looks like a stud.

If the value is right. John Schneider just said the other day how pleased he was that they can go into this draft without having to draft for need, like a LT two years ago, and took Okung. He is of the mind set best player available, and I'm on board. As of right now, the starting LBs would be KJ Wright, Barrett Rudd, Leroy Hill, so 2 of 3 starters from last year return. There are LBs that can fit that will be available in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, so I don't think they are zeroed in on any player or positions, and would consider trading down if an offer comes along.