Sign in to follow this  
Mike Honcho

Grade Your Teams Draft - 2015

All right it's that time of the year again, Grade the 2015 draft. Did your team improve, tread water or go backwards? You are the professor, grade the team how ever you like.

2015 NFL Draft

Found this chart/article that details the chance a player sticks with a team by round. How long does the average draft pick stick around(Charted by round)?

Green Bay Packers

1.30 DB Damarious Randall Arizona State: In a word, erractic. Wins the starting DB spot as a rookie, and as the year progresses, gives up more and more big plays. Entire second year was hampered by injuries, groin injury eventually costing him 5 games. Started third year poorly, getting benched and leaving the stadium against the Bears. After that, he was the best player in the secondary until week 14 when he took himself out of the game with a minor injury and would not suit up for the rest of the. Has above average ball skills, but probably better suited to safety than DB and is a major headcase. Traded for Deshown Watson and first pick of 4th round. Grade goes up from D+ to C- based on high upside.

Grade C-

2.30 DB Quinten Rollins Miami: As a rookie he looked like he might develop into a good nickle DB, willingly tackler, effective when blitzing and above average balls skills. Since then he looks lost, he looks all of his 4.5 speed, and hasn't shown the ball skills he did as a rookie. Also has missed 13 of the last 32 games. He might get one more shot just based on his high draft pick, low salary and the Packs complete lack of secondary depth.

Grade D+

3.30 WR/RB Ty Montgomery Stanford: Probably better at WR than RB. Has good hands and real good strength at WR, at RB, it just doesn't look like he can take the pounding to be an every down back. Seemed most effective when carries were limited and he was being used as receiving option out of the backfield matched up against LB's. Needs to be more durable.

Grade B-

4.30 LB Jake Ryan Michigan: Average, average, average. Good sure tackler, good moving forward, slow when moving to the sidelines and chasing. Okay in coverage. He's a 2 down player who won't beat you with a mistake but isn't going to make any OMG plays either.

Grade C

5.11 QB Brett Hundley UCLA: Plan was to draft/develop/trade, but that went out the window after a 10 game sample where Hundley showed a lack of pocket awareness, below average accuracy(his targets didn't help him much) and just slow getting through his progressions. On the plus, he showed leadership skills, good attitude, running ability and did make some improvements as the season wore on(until last 2 games). His ceiling is backup and hope the starter isn't out for long.

Grade C-

6.30 RB Aaron Ripkowski Oklahoma: Last of a dying breed, the fullback. He's ok, but even with good strength he's not a thumper like William Henderson, nor multi-dimensional like Kuhn. Hasn't wowed on special teams either. Look for the team to bring in some competition for him but I think he get one more chance and plays out last year of his rookie contract.

Grade C+

6.34 DL Christian Ringo: Louisiana-Lafayette: Made no impact in 2 season, cut just before the third started. Currently on the Lions.

Grade D-

6.37 TE Kennard Backman Ala.-Birmingham: Saw ST action in 7 games. IR in 2016/injury settlement.

Grade F

This draft was an absolute disaster. A talented but headcase DB who wore out his welcome, a project DB with big durability questions, an average ILB , average FB and a multi-positional WR/RB. 1 starter(ILB) and 2 situational players(Montgomery and Ripkowski). And this is why I bagged so much on TT, not because drafts like this happen, but because he wouldn't ever dip his toe into FA to find competition for the bottom of the roster, which most of these guys are.

Overall D+

• Like 1

1.11 - Trae Waynes: Took a couple years to come on, but he's turned into a solid CB2. Grade: B

2.13 - Eric Kendricks: Very good 3 down MLB. Grade: A

3.24 - Danielle Hunter: Gone from a rotational pass rusher to starting DE. 25.5 sacks in his first 3 years. Grade: A

4.11 - TJ Clemmings: Oof. Forced into a starting role due to injury, never progressed. Was god awful his second year. Now with Washington. Grade: D

5.07 - MyCole Pruitt: Hasn't done much. Bounced around the league. Grade: D-

5.10 - Stefon Diggs: Hasn't put up huge numbers, but an excellent receiver. PFF had him at #8 in 2017. Grade: A

6.09 - Tyrus Thompson: Hasn't done anything, bounced around the league. Grade: F

6.17 - B.J. Dubose: Also hasn't done anything. Grade: F

7.11 - Austin Shepherd: Played 14 games in 2015, hasn't done anything since then. Grade: D

7.15 - Edmond Robinson: Played 21 games in 2015/2016, now with the Cardinals: Grade: D

Bit of a bipolar draft. 3 starters on a great defense, plus a top WR. But 6 players who are no longer on the team. But Waynes/Kendricks/Hunter/Diggs make it a very good draft class. Overall: B+

Tennessee Titans

1.02 - Marcus Mariota - Had good rookie and sophomore campaigns. Took a bit of a step back last season. I blame a lot of that on the moronic coaching staff and the scheme they called. He showed the grit and leadership in that Chiefs playoff game. I expect that next season, he will truly arrive. Even as he has been, he's easily the best QB we've had since McNair. B

2.08 - Dorial Green Beckham (WR) - Bust. Had a semi decent rookie campaign, struggled with the playbook, and was traded before his second season. Has done next to nothing since. The guy we traded him for is still around and contributing though. F

2.09 - Jeremiah Poutsi (G) - Bust. Was hung out to dry as a tackle his rookie year, and got destroyed. I don't think he's still on the team. If so, he's way down on the depth chart. (F)

4.01 - Angelo Blackson (DL) - I honestly don't even remember who this guy is. I don't recall a single snap from him. F

4.09 - Jalston Fowler (FB) - Was a pretty good, albeit never used, fullback. Was cut this season as we needed something else. Still somewhere in the league. (D)

5.02 - David Cobb (RB) - Did nothing. Bust. F

6.01 - Deontrez Mount (LB) - Did nothing. Don't even remember him. F

6.32 - Andy Galik (OL) Did nothing. Don't even remember him. F

7.28 - Tre McBride (WR) Hung around a couple of years, low on the depth chart of a bad receiving corps. Gone now. D

Nine picks. Only one still on the team. That, my friends, is why this was the GM's last year. Dumpster fire, as were the several before this.

1.27 (DB) Byron Jones - B-. He's been a decent starter, but they might have hoped for more from a first rounder.
2.28 (DL) Randy Gregory - D. Can't give them an F, because it was gambling with first round talent, so it was a decent attempt to get value .. but they lost that gamble so far. Maybe he can be reinstated this year, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
3.27 (OL) Chaz Green - B-. He hasn't really delivered so far IMO, but he hasn't bombed out either & he's a mid round pick. *shrugs*
4.28 (LB) Damien Wilson - B-. Backup LB. That's not so bad for a late 4rth pick
5.27 (DL) Ryan Russell - C-. No longer on the team, which is a minor disappointment for a 5th rounder, but not unexpected.
7.19 (LB) Mark Nzeocha - C. No longer on the team, but that's expected of most late rounders

7.26 (OL) Laurence Gibson - C. No longer on the team, but that's expected of most late rounders

7.29 (TE) Geoff Swaim - B. Defying odds to stay on the team as a 7th rounder. If he can help out in practice, that's upside

Eagles:

1. Nelson Agholor: Would have been an F before last season but he vastly improved as a slot receiver and played a big role on a title team. Still docking him a little for the first few years. B-

2. Eric Rowe: Bust in Philly. Fringe contributor in NE. D

3. Jordan Hicks. Really talented MLB who cannot stay healthy. B

Two DBs I barely remember and a kicker (?) who from what I can remember was cut in camp rounds 4-6.

Overall a C-.

1.27 (DB) Byron Jones - B-. He's been a decent starter, but they might have hoped for more from a first rounder.

2.28 (DL) Randy Gregory - D. Can't give them an F, because it was gambling with first round talent, so it was a decent attempt to get value .. but they lost that gamble so far. Maybe he can be reinstated this year, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

3.27 (OL) Chaz Green - B-. He hasn't really delivered so far IMO, but he hasn't bombed out either & he's a mid round pick. *shrugs*

4.28 (LB) Damien Wilson - B-. Backup LB. That's not so bad for a late 4rth pick

5.27 (DL) Ryan Russell - C-. No longer on the team, which is a minor disappointment for a 5th rounder, but not unexpected.

7.19 (LB) Mark Nzeocha - C. No longer on the team, but that's expected of most late rounders

7.26 (OL) Laurence Gibson - C. No longer on the team, but that's expected of most late rounders

7.29 (TE) Geoff Swaim - B. Defying odds to stay on the team as a 7th rounder. If he can help out in practice, that's upside

Was this reply posted from a Commodore 64?
  • Like 1

Giants- D. Only two players left on the team are Landon Collins and Erek Flowers. Flowers sucks. To tell you how bad Reese was as a GM, the only players on the Giants roster that have received a second contract from the Giants are Eli and the other is the long snapper Zak Deosse, drafted in 2007. ODB shouid be getting one and so will Collins, but that's about a decades worth of piss poor drafting.

Bengals - F- - - - - -

Rd.1 OL - Ced Ogbuehi - turd

Rd 2. OL - Jake Fisher - turd

Rd 3. TE Tyler Kroft - Meh....serviceable but not worth a 3rd round pick

Rd 4. DB Josh Shaw - Meh..... still around and contributing.. nothing special though

Rd 5. TE CJ Uzomah - turd

Rd 6. DB Derron Smith - turd.. only last 1 yr in Cincy I believe. Playing for the Browns now.

Rd 7. Mario Alford - turd - pretty sure he never stepped on the field. Been on 4 different teams since drafted

Christ that was depressing

Giants- D. Only two players left on the team are Landon Collins and Erek Flowers. Flowers sucks. To tell you how bad Reese was as a GM, the only players on the Giants roster that have received a second contract from the Giants are Eli and the other is the long snapper Zak Deosse, drafted in 2007. ODB shouid be getting one and so will Collins, but that's about a decades worth of piss poor drafting.

I remember sitting in disbelief that Todd Gurley had somehow fallen to them and then.......... Erek Flowers???

Bills: F. the worst.

Evaluating and grading whether a draft pans out is very debatable. You never really know how a guy will adapt or develop or the coaching/situation (e.g. Goff with Fisher vs Goff with McVay).

Which is why giving away a 1st and 4th to move up 5 spots to take a WR (Watkins in 2014) shows the GM had no idea how any of this works. Whaley should have been fired just for considering giving up the draft capital he did to move up for a WR in a WR-heavy draft, let alone actually doing it.

2.18 DB Ronald Darby
3.17 OL John Miller
5.19 RB Karlos Williams
6.12 LB Tony Steward
6.18 TE Nick O'Leary
7.17 WR Dezmin Lewis

1 - B+

1 - C-

1 - D+

1 - D

4 - F's

1 - Dumpster Fire

1 - Commodore 64

Guess this wasn't the best year for talent.

I wonder what is a reasonable expectation in terms of the round drafted and the likelihood of the player sticking around, and furthermore being a significant contributor?

Either it was a terrible year or people should have lower expectations of draft prospects.

I wonder what is a reasonable expectation in terms of the round drafted and the likelihood of the player sticking around, and furthermore being a significant contributor?

Either it was a terrible year or people should have lower expectations of draft prospects.

Check my first post---it's dated, but I'd be surprised if the data has changed much.

A lot of it depends on the team situation of course.

Take my titans for example. We had the second pick in the draft, and would receive the first overall pick the next year. This indicates that the cupboard was pretty bare talent wise.

Thus, it would be reasonable to expect more rookies to make an impact, as they are competing against trash, and said rookies were the top picks in their respective rounds.

Obviously, the inverse would be true if one is the patriots or something. With a roster that has been good and well built for years, you are lucky if one or two draft picks stick and contribute.

Cardinals B

Five of the seven picks are expected to make contributions this year. The obvious home run is David Johnson in the third. Clearly a franchise running back that can do it all. On an offense that has an aging Fitz and nothing else, he'll be the focal point for years to come. Marcus Golden in the second is also looking like a solid pick. He was injured all last year, but he appears to be a guy who can make it in the league as the 2nd half of book end pass rushers. DJ Humphreies in the first is still a question mark. Basically redshirted his rookie year, and hasn't established himself as the franchise left tackle they were hoping for. He'll likely make a career as a decent to below average left tackle. JJ Nelson and Gunter have developed into rotational pieces at their positions. Based on where they were picked, that's not terrible. Had they hit on the first round pick this could have been a stellar draft class.

• Like 1

Broncos - F (they did win it all previous season however)

1.23 LB Shane Ray Missouri

2.27 OL Ty Sambrailo Colorado State

3.28 TE Jeff Heuerman Ohio State

4.34 OL Max Garcia Florida compensatory pick

5.28 DB Lorenzo Doss Tulane

6.27 DL Darius Kilgo Maryland

7.33 QB Trevor Siemian Northwestern compensatory pick

7.34 DB Taurean Nixon Tulane compensatory pick

7.35 DB Josh Furman

Shane Ray still has potential but every thing else is terrible.

• Like 1

Seahawks:

Clark - B

Lockett - B

Poole - F

Glowinski - D (This one's a bummer. I thought he was gonna be a great guard)

Smith - F

Gwacham - F

Sokoli - F

Murphy - F

So overall, maybe a C-

• Like 1

Bills: F. the worst.

Evaluating and grading whether a draft pans out is very debatable. You never really know how a guy will adapt or develop or the coaching/situation (e.g. Goff with Fisher vs Goff with McVay).

Which is why giving away a 1st and 4th to move up 5 spots to take a WR (Watkins in 2014) shows the GM had no idea how any of this works. Whaley should have been fired just for considering giving up the draft capital he did to move up for a WR in a WR-heavy draft, let alone actually doing it.

2.18 DB Ronald Darby

3.17 OL John Miller

5.19 RB Karlos Williams

6.12 LB Tony Steward

6.18 TE Nick O'Leary

7.17 WR Dezmin Lewis

This. A lot of this.

Doug Whaley may be the worst GM in the post matt millen era.

San Francisco 49ers:

1.17 - Arik Armstead, DL: Yet to be a standout on the defense, has already been on IR twice and probably won't have his 5th-yr option exercised. Grade: D+

2.14 - Jaquiski Tartt, S: Started to break out last year before getting hurt, should continue to be a quality starting safety. Grade: B+

3.15 - Eli Harold, OLB: Current starter, hasn't provided much of a pass rush. Grade: C-

4.18 - Blake Bell, TE: "Belldozer"...yeah, didn't work out. Grade: F

4.27 - Mike Davis, RB: Waived by 49ers, ended up in Seattle and had a few decent games last year. Grade: F

4.33 - Deandre Smelter, WR: No longer on roster. Grade: F

5.29 - Bradley Pinion, P: Solid punter. Grade: C+

6.14 - Ian Silberman, G: No longer on roster. Grade: F

7.27 - Trenton Brown, G: No longer on roster. Grade: F

7.37 - Rory "Busta" Anderson, TE: Don't even remember this guy. Grade: F

Overall Grade = D- : A draft like this (10 picks!) should be where you restock your roster with some quality depth. That did not happen. Tartt was the bright spot this year, but nothing else came close to standing out.