Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Final All Out Blitz of the season

Hey all:

As opposed to the usual top-12 ranking by position I have done in previous seasons, I would like to take lineup questions and expand on maybe 5-10 of the best ones I receive for the final Blitz of the season. Feel free to post them here if you have them ready no later than Wednesday at Noon EST.

Keelan Cole or Dede Westbrook, who's the better start for the last two games? I'm in the championship and desperately need a replacement for AB. It's either them, Mike Wallace or Kendall Wright.

Made it to the finals, even with Rhodes closed for AJ Green. Do I start him this week vs. another shutdown corner, in Slay, or roll with a combo of Funchess v. TB (shoulder injury though) Woods v. Ten, Martavis v. Hou, or Diggs v. GB?

Thanks for a great season and good luck to all in the 'Ship!

STANDARD SCORING.....

Pick 3 and flex the 4th:

Funchess v. TB

Diggs v. GB

Wallace v. Indy

Shepard v. Ari

Cole v. SF

Goodwin v. Jax

Thanks

Thanks for the opportunity: Last week you said Rogers over Brady. This week which one Brady, Rogers, if in play, Goff, Stafford, or Keenum?

Sit Julio vs NO? One of your previous AOBs outlined the danger of his playoff matchups with Lattimore and that held true in the first matchup in week 14.

In my situation I also have the guys below and need to start 3:

Allen vs NYJ

Hill vs MIA

Gordon vs CHI

Edit - half PPR

If I may add one thing:

Please specify your scoring system. I will assume PPR unless otherwise noted.

Important detail. My league is half-PPR.

If I may add one thing:

Please specify your scoring system. I will assume PPR unless otherwise noted.

That's just being a little too personal.

Championship game. 1st place $5k. PPR league.

Pick 2 WR and a Flex.

K .Allen vs Jets

T.Hill vs Miami

Juju vs Houston

Gordon vs Bears

McCaffery vs Bucs

JuJu

Allen

McCaffrey

Pick 2 WR and a Flex.

K .Allen vs Jets

T.Hill vs Miami

Juju vs Houston

Gordon vs Bears

McCaffery vs Bucs

Were all famous now :) Thanks for taking my call, Dr. Orth!

I actually learned to love Frasier well after it originally aired as well.

Thank you so much for that in depth analysis. I will ponder every word before I make my decision.

I’m not sure this is the place to ask a follow up question, so I will put it here and in the comments section. I noticed when you were analyzing SHEPARD you did not mention Patrick Peterson shadowing Shepard even though he clearly is the Giants best WR, albeit used mostly out of the slot. Does PP NEVER cover opposing teams best WR when running out of the slot? Has he never covered Doug Baldwin? Thanks again.

Big Ben at Houston or Bortles at SF? Both have been strong last few weeks but we all know how Ben is on the road. lol

I've got a bad feeling about Bortles this week. He might get his two TDs, but he has been significantly less productive on the road than at home (last three games were in Jacksonville). There's really no Big Ben benchmark to use with him minus AB. With AB, Big Ben threw for as many as two TDs three times on the road this year (no 3+ score games).

SF is playing better defense at the moment, so I'll go with the track record and the matchup and say Big Ben. For your sake, I hope I'm wrong and both guys ball out, but I do have my concerns with each.

Pick 2 WR and a Flex.

K .Allen vs Jets

T.Hill vs Miami

Juju vs Houston

Gordon vs Bears

McCaffery vs Bucs

I wanted to get to your question in the column b/c of the nice pot you are playing for :D

I'm not going to think twice about Allen, especially with Henry down.

Here we go with the splits again, but last week's score was HIll's first at home this year. Logically, he is so much faster than Miami's CBs, it would be beyond stupid if KC doesn't dial up at least one shot play per quarter. I'll go against the home/road splits here and use common sense (hoping OC Matt Nagy does too) and say Hill needs to start.

There's about a 20 percent chance I get the flex call right here, but I'm going to take the guy with the most touches in McCaffrey. TB is really banged up on defense and at linebacker in particular. JuJu would be next in line for me, but can we say with any certainty Bell doesn't see 40 touches this week and absorb most of AB's missing touches? I think it's possible. The weather is looking to be more and more of a concern in Chicago this week, so Gordon is looking less like a strong option.

Flacco vs Indy or Alex Smith vs MIA pick one

I still can't believe this is a real question this year. I can't bring myself to start Flacco in a game that means something and his upside hasn't been all that great lately even though he has seen soft matchup after soft matchup lately. I think KC sticks with the run-heavy gameplan, but we've seen Smith's upside. In the off chance KC-MIA gets to be a shootout (I think its safe to say BAL-IND probably won't), Smith has a better chance to reach his ceiling.

Thank you so much for that in depth analysis. I will ponder every word before I make my decision.

I’m not sure this is the place to ask a follow up question, so I will put it here and in the comments section. I noticed when you were analyzing SHEPARD you did not mention Patrick Peterson shadowing Shepard even though he clearly is the Giants best WR, albeit used mostly out of the slot. Does PP NEVER cover opposing teams best WR when running out of the slot? Has he never covered Doug Baldwin? Thanks again.

I'll answer it in both places. Shepard is inside 84 percent of the time. PP has lined up in the slot 12 percent of the time this year. Mathieu has played inside 93 percent of the time.

Knowing the Giants, this will be the game where OC Mike Sullivan decides to get all creative and play Shepard outside more. But the evidence this year suggests PP and Shepard will probably line up across from each other on five or six routes at the most.

• Like 1

Hate to be the late-comer, but in a non-ppr standard scoring league, would you trot out Funchess (great matchup and could go off, but shoulder concern, and TB held him to nothing in last meeting), or Westbrook (who I have been pimping all year, and although had an extreme let-down game last week, could eat tomorrow with M. Lee out and Hurns a question mark)?

Thank you, sir.

Hate to be the late-comer, but in a non-ppr standard scoring league, would you trot out Funchess (great matchup and could go off, but shoulder concern, and TB held him to nothing in last meeting), or Westbrook (who I have been pimping all year, and although had an extreme let-down game last week, could eat tomorrow with M. Lee out and Hurns a question mark)?

Thank you, sir.

Wow, tough call. The shoulder is enough to steer me off of Funchess. Even if I'm right and JAC-SF turns into a field goal bonanza, I can see Westbrook having himself a day. I was lucky to escape his down game in all of the leagues I started him last week, but I don't think we can let one oddball game steer us away from how good of a player he is.

• Like 1

I wanted to get to your question in the column b/c of the nice pot you are playing for :D

I'm not going to think twice about Allen, especially with Henry down.

Here we go with the splits again, but last week's score was HIll's first at home this year. Logically, he is so much faster than Miami's CBs, it would be beyond stupid if KC doesn't dial up at least one shot play per quarter. I'll go against the home/road splits here and use common sense (hoping OC Matt Nagy does too) and say Hill needs to start.

There's about a 20 percent chance I get the flex call right here, but I'm going to take the guy with the most touches in McCaffrey. TB is really banged up on defense and at linebacker in particular. JuJu would be next in line for me, but can we say with any certainty Bell doesn't see 40 touches this week and absorb most of AB's missing touches? I think it's possible. The weather is looking to be more and more of a concern in Chicago this week, so Gordon is looking less like a strong option.

Thanks for the advise Doug!!

I have enjoyed reading your articles over the years, and am honored that you gave me your personal insight for my big $$$ championship..

Thanks

Thanks for the advise Doug!!

I have enjoyed reading your articles over the years, and am honored that you gave me your personal insight for my big $$$ championship..

Thanks

No problem. I hope it works out. I'll be the first to admit a lot of these "recommendations" could go either way, so I'll be happy if a few of them work out :P

Hope you're still there-PPR-6 pt TDs. I need 2 out of Julio, Dez, Cooks, or M Goodwin. I could pick up Mike Wallace for one of these has-beens? Thanks, good luck, and Merry Christmas!

Thanks Doug! Are you really rolling out Coles and Westbrook? Talk about going all in, that's a huge boom or bust play.

Who are your other WRs just so I can use that as a reference. Would you still go with the Cole/Westbrook combo if you owned Diggs?

Love your work! Thx again.

Hope you're still there-PPR-6 pt TDs. I need 2 out of Julio, Dez, Cooks, or M Goodwin. I could pick up Mike Wallace for one of these has-beens? Thanks, good luck, and Merry Christmas!

Still here.

I know I gave a tepid endorsement of Julio before, but I couldn't sit him unless I had surefire WR1s around him. Of the bunch, I think Cooks has the lowest floor. At this very moment, I would probably drop Goodwin for Wallace (assuming Week 16 championship, of course) and start him along with Julio and Dez. But I'll be the first to tell you I'm not feeling great about that recommendation.

Flex questions...PPR...I can start 1.

Martavis Bryant

Damaryus Thomas

Jerrick McKinnnon

Duke Johnson

Delanie Walker

I feel the best about Jerick's combination of matchup and likely workload, but it seems like I always started him in the wrong weeks in my dynasty league. But like I said, I like his matchup and likely workload.

Thanks Doug! Are you really rolling out Coles and Westbrook? Talk about going all in, that's a huge boom or bust play.

Who are your other WRs just so I can use that as a reference. Would you still go with the Cole/Westbrook combo if you owned Diggs?

Love your work! Thx again.

Appreciate it.

I think I said I would love to pair the two Jags together if I could. If I'm just ranking them for this week, I'd go Westbrook-Diggs-Cole. With that said, I tend to be willing to embrace a bit more risk in my lineups than most. Fortunately, the most difficult calls I've had to make in my lineups this week is Cobb vs. Cole, Sanu vs. Westbrook and Gould vs. Boswell.

Appreciate it.

I think I said I would love to pair the two Jags together if I could. If I'm just ranking them for this week, I'd go Westbrook-Diggs-Cole. With that said, I tend to be willing to embrace a bit more risk in my lineups than most. Fortunately, the most difficult calls I've had to make in my lineups this week is Cobb vs. Cole, Sanu vs. Westbrook and Gould vs. Boswell.

I'm in the same boat with Gould vs Boswell. I'm afraid the 9ers aren't going to be able to move the ball against Jax so I'm rolling with Boswell.

Last question, Diggs or Wallace in full point ppr?

I'm in the same boat with Gould vs Boswell. I'm afraid the 9ers aren't going to be able to move the ball against Jax so I'm rolling with Boswell.

Last question, Diggs or Wallace in full point ppr?

Diggs has been too up-and-down for me with Keenum. I'd go Wallace.

I look at how easy SF has moved the ball with Garappolo at QB. Jags have been less stingy lately, but the reason I like Gould (besides his recent performance) is the fact SF doesn't have any closers in the red zone. So I see a lot of drives stalling around the 25 or 30 yard line.

If this Xmas FF Special is still chuggin' along the tracks, I'm gonna jump on for the ride !

I've got two players who have done me well on the season but who I'm feeling meh about for week 16 - Brandin Cooks and Marvin Jones.

I have another who I haven't played yet but am leaning towards starting - C.J. Anderson.

What's your lean on these three ?

(I could override these three with a plug-in of Westbrook.)

I'll answer it in both places. Shepard is inside 84 percent of the time. PP has lined up in the slot 12 percent of the time this year. Mathieu has played inside 93 percent of the time.

Knowing the Giants, this will be the game where OC Mike Sullivan decides to get all creative and play Shepard outside more. But the evidence this year suggests PP and Shepard will probably line up across from each other on five or six routes at the most.

From your lips to God’s ears.........

He is NOW in my lineup!

Though hearing that Chris Hogan and Allen Hurns were going to sit stirred some last minute consideration for Cooks and Westbrook respectively, I stayed true to my lean to start C.J. Anderson and that was good enough for a championship. The margin of victory was not wide enough to have supported even a start of Westbrook.

On the other hand, if my opponent declined to make either of these late substitutions - Foles for Cousins or Olsen for Ebron - then he would have taken home the trophy.

Thanks for the advice on Julio vs Gordon, Doug. I ended up going with Julio as the snowy weather in Gordons game didnt look too appealing. It didnt matter in the end as I ran into Gurley and then had Mixon and Engram go out with injuries.