Sign in to follow this  
justforbeer

Le’Veon Bell - The hold out continues!

I don't know the details around what holding out does to his current $14 million contract, but if he does lose nearly $900 thousand per game, then goes out there in game 7, and gets an ACL in week 13 or something, how does that help his financial situation? Plus, this year could be the best chance ever that Bell has to get a SB ring, given not knowing where he could end up since he is just chasing the money.

And as an aside, just curious, but if Bell was a true FA this year and signed by let's say Miami, or the Jets, where would you have drafted him this year?

If he holds out then gets hurt of course it doesnt help, but reducing games played reduces games he could get hurt. Id say its unlikely he misses games, but its not out of the question. Hes sick of not getting the big guaranteed payday and RB years are like dog years in the nfl. Hes the oldest 26yr old in the league.

If he had gone to another team I think his draft stock would have been no lower than top 6 still.

There is ZERO difference from last year when he played the entire season. The Steelers can still franchise him again next year if they want to. The figure last year was 12.1 million, this year 14.5. Next year it's 18 million. You don't earn more money on the football field by NOT being on the football field. I'm a Steeler fan, always have been. Bell is very good, but his worth is artificially inflated playing behind a very good line and playing with one of the greatest WR's of his generation. NO RB is worth what he's asking for. Honestly, no RB is worth over 10 million a year, because they're flat out replaceable. We can all thank Adrian Peterson and the stupidity of the Minnesota Vikings for this. Peterson's 7 yr/100 million contract averaged out 14 million + per year, even though he never saw the end of the contract with the Vikings. That 14+ million average skewed the average of the top 5 salaries at RB so far out of whack it put Bell way into the 7 figure per year zone, and the 120% yearly increase keeps moving this. Any team that pays that kind of salary for a LONG term contract will be just as stupid as the Vikings were with Peterson. Let's remember, the Steelers offered Bell a multi year contract worth over 14 million per year and he turned it down. He can say all he wants about "resetting the RB market", this is about Bell and his money grab, plain and simple. I hope nobody in the league pays his ransom and part of me can't wait to be rid of his "me first" attitude in Pittsburgh.

Our draft is Monday night, and I have the #2 pick. I am now leaning toward drafting D.Johnson if Gurley is off the board. I know Bell is great, but not sure how much better he is than D.Johnson, who does not seem to bring as much drama and headache to my fantasy football decisions.

I took Bell at 3 before DJ. THis is the same movie as last year. I was more worried last season and downgraded him accordingly. I also like that hes not taking any punishment before week one. Arguably the freshest player in the league.

There is ZERO difference from last year when he played the entire season. The Steelers can still franchise him again next year if they want to. The figure last year was 12.1 million, this year 14.5. Next year it's 18 million. You don't earn more money on the football field by NOT being on the football field. I'm a Steeler fan, always have been. Bell is very good, but his worth is artificially inflated playing behind a very good line and playing with one of the greatest WR's of his generation. NO RB is worth what he's asking for. Honestly, no RB is worth over 10 million a year, because they're flat out replaceable. We can all thank Adrian Peterson and the stupidity of the Minnesota Vikings for this. Peterson's 7 yr/100 million contract averaged out 14 million + per year, even though he never saw the end of the contract with the Vikings. That 14+ million average skewed the average of the top 5 salaries at RB so far out of whack it put Bell way into the 7 figure per year zone, and the 120% yearly increase keeps moving this. Any team that pays that kind of salary for a LONG term contract will be just as stupid as the Vikings were with Peterson. Let's remember, the Steelers offered Bell a multi year contract worth over 14 million per year and he turned it down. He can say all he wants about "resetting the RB market", this is about Bell and his money grab, plain and simple. I hope nobody in the league pays his ransom and part of me can't wait to be rid of his "me first" attitude in Pittsburgh.

No way. He is gone from Pitt.

No way. He is gone from Pitt.

Wasn't saying he's staying, just saying he has no more leverage this year than he did last year, nor any less incentive to play.

Its monday... will he show up???

I have Conner in my two priority leagues.. working trades non-stop reminding all parties that the price goes up by the second. Muhahahahaha

I also like that hes not taking any punishment before week one. Arguably the freshest player in the league.

What year is this? These days, starting RBs dont play preseason. But Ill challenge your arguement.

Ezekiel Elliott. He has not taken one preseason snap, like Bell. Difference being, I know for a fact hell be ready to go Week 1.

What year is this? These days, starting RBs dont play preseason. But Ill challenge your arguement.

Ezekiel Elliott. He has not taken one preseason snap, like Bell. Difference being, I know for a fact hell be ready to go Week 1.

Brilliant!!!!!

But zeke was in camp the whole time.

I dont agree. You cant play "dont get hurt football" and these players know it. He played tough as nails last year on a 1 year deal after holding out. He wants to max his value. Playing like crap wont max his value. Getting hurt will not max his value.

I agree with Tan. He SHOULD hold out as long as possible. But playing like crap. Pretending to be injury ridden all year. Those all decrease his value. And he is playing for a contract that pays him the most possible money and securing him at a tough position to play and stay healthy.

Who said anything about "playing like crap, pretending to be injury ridden"?

Bell has a 20 million signing bonus waiting for him at the end of this year. Psychologically that's enough to play cautious. Yes he will play hard. But having that on his mind, along with missing camp, almost 400 touches last year and still not reporting .....that's a red flag.

Gurley, DJ, and Elliott are much safer

If Bell indeed reports, I think he'll be playing all out. There's no better way to max out the value of the next contract than to be seen riding high, wide, and handsome in the Super Bowl. That means not taking it easy during the weeks home field advantage is at stake.

A Super Bowl win would also be a nice way to stick it to management as in..."You'll miss me when there won't be any more rings coming next year."

all the reports came out that he would report on Monday, then he came out and denied it. Might just be out of spite and saying "I'm in control of when I report".

I have Conner in my two priority leagues.. working trades non-stop reminding all parties that the price goes up by the second. Muhahahahaha

I have Conner in one league and tried offering him to the Bell owner. I only like 2 players on his whole team, Mixon and Adams. He said he wouldn't part with either. Guess I'm keeping him. I don't see anyone else giving up much for him until he scores 16 points

Bell not at practice Monday.

Now Rap says it will be by Wed, guaranteed.

IDK, I could be wrong but Bell is the only one that knows and he is not predictable.

I want more drama, I hope he doesn’t show on Wednesday. The media will go nuts! Pittsburgh will freak!

If he shows Wed, do the Steelers really trust him with that little prep time? I would expect some work of course, but I would assume about 10 carries.

He has to show for his own good imo. Conner and Samuel's combined are capable enough. If Bell doesn't show the team isn't going to budge

My draft: Gurley #1, AB at #2. I seriously debated grabbing DJ at #3, but PIT's 8th easiest schedule won me over. Thankfully, I was able to grab Conner in 2nd-to-last round of the draft.

I *just* switched out Bell, for Conner, for my RB1 starter. I'll switch back to Bell, *if* he reports by 9AM Wednesday.

He is STUPID if he holds out week 1.. PIT can easily beat CLE without him, and then he's out ~ $1M!

He is STUPID if he holds out week 1.. PIT can easily beat CLE without him, and then he's out ~ $1M!

Yep, and they would probably only rush him 10 times and throw him a few more to work him in to the season. Kind of like last year.

Please god. Hold out the first 6 games or get traded. I would love to see gruden trade a first for him and then sign him to a big deal.

Any of these happen and samuals plays a legit compliment to connor and he will be a top flight te in yahoo. Supercheat code activated

Please god. Hold out the first 6 games or get traded. I would love to see gruden trade a first for him and then sign him to a big deal.

Any of these happen and samuals plays a legit compliment to connor and he will be a top flight te in yahoo. Supercheat code activated

Why would Gruden not pay for a more important position like DE, but then spend on a rb with a million touches?

I don't think he values the defense as much. Any team that signs bell has a chance to win now.

Id say sit him week 1 but I know you wont so I wont bother. Enjoy his 10 carries and 2 catches. Hope they bear fruit for all.

I've thought about this too. What are the odds Samuels has value as a TE in Pitts offense even if Bell plays? Last I heard all their other TE's were injured. Is he big enough to play TE in the NFL? Saw he played the slot in college. Thanks.

Id say sit him week 1 but I know you wont so I wont bother. Enjoy his 10 carries and 2 catches. Hope they bear fruit for all.

Don't tell anyone I agree with u

I don't know the details around what holding out does to his current $14 million contract, but if he does lose nearly $900 thousand per game, then goes out there in game 7, and gets an ACL in week 13 or something, how does that help his financial situation? Plus, this year could be the best chance ever that Bell has to get a SB ring, given not knowing where he could end up since he is just chasing the money.

And as an aside, just curious, but if Bell was a true FA this year and signed by let's say Miami, or the Jets, where would you have drafted him this year?

I don't think most of the players care about a SB when their money situation is up in the air.

Hes been in camp taking hits though.

I don't think most of the players care about a SB when their money situation is up in the air.

I get that point, but including this year, doesn't that put Bell near like $30 million in career earnings? So at what point does a player who's career passion of success at the highest level kick in? $50 million? $100 million? Do players in the NFL other than Tom Brady not want to rack up superbowl rings? Or at least get 1? Or is it just players that are washed up that want to join SB contending teams to get a ring or two even though they may not contribute much? Kind of like Peyton Manning did in Denver?

I get that point, but including this year, doesn't that put Bell near like $30 million in career earnings? So at what point does a player who's career passion of success at the highest level kick in? $50 million? $100 million? Do players in the NFL other than Tom Brady not want to rack up superbowl rings? Or at least get 1? Or is it just players that are washed up that want to join SB contending teams to get a ring or two even though they may not contribute much? Kind of like Peyton Manning did in Denver?

comparing brady is not really fair. Brady is a once in a generation qb. Paired with a hof coach. The biggest asset the pats have is Giselle. She is worth 360 million bucks. Made 17 mil last year for being pretty. Toms salary is what they find in their couch cushions before they go out for dinner.

Giselle : Heyyyyy. Toooommm. Did you forget to cash your puny check for risking your life and limb? I think I found it looking for my earring.

It gives tom and the pats the ability to bring him in at a discount rate. When you don't care about money you can play for peanuts and allow your team to spend elsewhere. In a time of mega contracts for qbs his salary is dirt cheap and has been.

• Like 1

comparing brady is not really fair. Brady is a once in a generation qb. Paired with a hof coach. The biggest asset the pats have is Giselle. She is worth 360 million bucks. Made 17 mil last year for being pretty. Toms salary is what they find in their couch cushions before they go out for dinner.

Giselle : Heyyyyy. Toooommm. Did you forget to cash your puny check for risking your life and limb? I think I found it looking for my earring.

To be fair, you can count 4 qbs in that generation. Tom was the only one who had the right coach.

Brady

Rodgers

Manning

Brees

How the other guys only have 1 SB a piece from their main team is astounding. I would also put Tom above Brees and Manning, but Rodgers is a better qb than Brady imo

I don't think that Bell will carry this holdout into the season, but as a Bell owner I am getting anxious. I have Conner rostered to cover, but my concern is that there will be too much uncertainty as far as touches go for the first couple of weeks.

It gives tom and the pats the ability to bring him in at a discount rate. When you don't care about money you can play for peanuts and allow your team to spend elsewhere. In a time of mega contracts for qbs his salary is dirt cheap and has been.

Tom Brady has had $192 million in career earnings all on his own. He had a $28 million signing bonus in 2016. Stop with the Giselle is richer thing so now he can take it easy.

So this is my point, does a player need to make $200 million on his own, and have a wife that makes $300 million before he wants a superbowl ring?

Nothing ever bodes well for the browns

Yea its an uphill climb every year. I have a share of Landry and Duke this season but thats it and even then I feel I bought potential fools gold.

I have Conner on my bench and I am facing the Bell owner in week one. I am hoping for a no-show by Bell, a lopsided win for me, then a panic trade by the Bell owner. :doublethumbsup: