Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Federer > Woods

Woods >> Federer and I am no Tiger fan.

Golf and Tennis are the top individual sports right? (Get out of here nekar) golf has been far more popular than Tennis for a while now and far more competitive as well. Tiger Woods will go down as a top 2 golfer-talwnt of all time. Will Federer be regarded as a top 2 tennis player-talent of all time?

Maybe he will, I don't know as much about Tennis as I do Golf but I feel like Tiger has had a more meaningful domination of golf in his prime than Tennis has.

Even put majors aside, does anything else even matter in Tennis? But in golf you have fedex cup titles, WGC titles, thr players, the tour championship, player of he year etc.

Golf and Tennis are the top individual sports right? (Get out of here nekar) golf has been far more popular than Tennis for a while now and far more competitive as well. Tiger Woods will go down as a top 2 golfer-talwnt of all time. Will Federer be regarded as a top 2 tennis player-talent of all time?

Maybe he will, I don't know as much about Tennis as I do Golf but I feel like

Federer is the greatest male tennis player ever. 17 majors (sampras next 14)

HTH

and the question in 2007 was who was the more dominant in his sport.

Federer is the greatest male tennis player ever. 17 majors (sampras next 14)

HTH

and the question in 2007 was who was the more dominant in his sport.

But do tennis junkies view him as a top 2 player? Or did he dominate a watered down era? Like would tennis people still say borg? Would they say sampras had better comoetition?

I don't know I'm legit asking

Let me know when Federer has to go up against the whole field instead of 3 or 4 much lower seeds, weather conditions , changed net placements etc.

Until then the comparison is as retarded as the guy trying to make it.

But do tennis junkies view him as a top 2 player? Or did he dominate a watered down era? Like would tennis people still say borg? Would they say sampras had better comoetition?

It's Federer and everyone else. He's also 35, most of the top players retire around 30 (sampras 31)

Let me know when Federer has to go up against the whole field instead of 3 or 4 much lower seeds, weather conditions , changed net placements etc.

Until then the comparison is as retarded as the guy trying to make it.

let me know when Woods has to run and carry his own bag

Been a long time since anyone considered Borg anywhere near best ever. I think an argument can be made for Sampras but he's the only other in the discussion. Because there definitely were more top players during Sampras' era. But Federer may have just made good players look ordinary. It's hard to say. But his accomplishments speak for themselves.

It's Federer and everyone else. He's also 35, most of the top players retire around 30 (sampras 31)

What a discussion we'd be having if Sampras hadn't retired then. I mean, he retired after winning a Grand Slam. He could still play.

Been a long time since anyone considered Borg anywhere near best ever. I think an argument can be made for Sampras but he's the only other in the discussion. Because there definitely were more top players during Sampras' era. But Federer may have just made good players look ordinary. It's hard to say. But his accomplishments speak for themselves.

17 Grand Slam men singles titles Stands Alone
27 Grand Slam singles finals Stands Alone
All 4 Grand Slam finals in 1 season reached three times: 2006–2007 & 2009 Stands Alone
2 men's Grand Slam titles per-year 5 times: 2004–07 & 2009 Stands Alone
41 men's Grand Slam semifinals overall Stands Alone
49 men's Grand Slam quarter-finals overall Stands Alone
10 consecutive men's Grand Slam finals (2005–2007) Stands Alone
23 consecutive men's Grand Slam semifinals Stands Alone
36 consecutive men's Grand Slam quarter-finals Stands Alone
65 consecutive men's Grand Slam tournament appearances Stands Alone
10 finals at a single Grand Slam tournament (Wimbledon) Stands Alone
5+ finals at all four grand slams Stands Alone
4+ titles at three Grand Slams Stands Alone
65+ match wins at all four Grand Slams Stands Alone
75+ match wins at three Grand Slams Stands Alone
Won first 7 Grand Slam finals Stands Alone
Fastest player to win 11 Grand Slams in four years Stands Alone
Fastest player to win 12 Grand Slams in four years Stands Alone
Fastest player to win 13 Grand Slams in five years Stands Alone
Fastest player to win 14 Grand Slams in six years Stands Alone
Fastest player to win 15 Grand Slams in six years Stands Alone
9 hard court Grand Slams Stands Alone
312 Grand Slam match wins overall Stands Alone

Maybe he will, I don't know as much about Tennis as I do Golf but I feel like Tiger has had a more meaningful domination of golf in his prime than Tennis has.

Even put majors aside, does anything else even matter in Tennis? But in golf you have fedex cup titles, WGC titles, thr players, the tour championship, player of he year etc.

You are out of your mind and obviously biased. To wit:

1. Worldwide, tennis is more popular than golf.

2. Both sports have their share of top competitors. There is nothing watered down about today's top tennis players - quite the opposite, as several of them are all-time greats.

3. Federer is the undisputed best tennis player of all time.

4. Federer's domination of tennis in his prime was unprecedented. Google his Grand Slam record (ETA see Edjr's post).

5. The ATP tour is important in tennis, and there are individual awards, too.

Full disclosure: I think golf is a waste of time, and barely qualifies as a sport at all. But even I can acknowledge the comparison between Woods and Federer is valid. Or was before Tiger dropped off the planet.

2. Both sports have their share of top competitors.

4. Federer's domination of tennis in his prime was unprecedented. Google his Grand Slam record.

Full disclosure: I think golf is a waste of time, and barely qualifies as a sport at all. But even I can acknowledge the comparison between Woods and Federer is valid. Or was before Tiger dropped off the planet.

:clap: :doublethumbsup:

I played Tennis in high school and not golf.

I golf now. I could maybe play 1 game of tennis without puking.

It's not even in the same stratosphere of what it takes to play and be even half way decent.

:clap: :doublethumbsup:

I played Tennis in high school and not golf.

I golf now. I could maybe play 1 game of tennis without puking.

It's not even in the same stratosphere of what it takes to play and be even half way decent.

Tennis certainly is more physically demanding, but I think it takes more practice to become an OK golfer. I guess it depends on what you consider "half way decent". Then again, I don't golf, so maybe it is just a bunch of fatties making it out to be far more difficult than it actually is.

Tennis certainly is more physically demanding, but I think it takes more practice to become an OK golfer. I guess it depends on what you consider "half way decent". Then again, I don't golf, so maybe it is just a bunch of fatties making it out to be far more difficult than it actually is.

Fair point. Obviously any slob can hit a tennis ball with a tennis racket. It is very hard to hit a golf ball with a golf club, well hit it decent. grab an ice cream and watch a driving range sometime. hilarity.

it takes practice to be good at golf, 0 athletic skill (look at the all the asian women golfers).

It takes practice and an incredible amount of fitness to be good at tennis.

Fair point. Obviously any slob can hit a tennis ball with a tennis racket. It is very hard to hit a golf ball with a golf club, well hit it decent. grab an ice cream and watch a driving range sometime. hilarity.

it takes practice to be good at golf, 0 athletic skill (look at the all the asian women golfers).

It takes practice and an incredible amount of fitness to be good at tennis.

Admit it, you used to tie a headband around your forehead and pretend you were Pat Cash growing up. :D

The athleticism required to play tennis vs. golf isn't even arguable.

I like to play both but I have a hard time watching Men's tennis on TV.

Admit it, you used to tie a headband around your forehead and pretend you were Pat Cash growing up. :D

when I played it was all Andre Agassi all the time.

I had the mullet and white legs,. that's it.

eta: I was a McEnroe fan all the way. He perfectly embodies the way I play everything.

I DVR'd Federer vs Randon German guy over night and watched at work this morning.

I can't watch golf if it's a bunch of stiffs, same as Tennis.

I only watched the last 6 holes of the this weekends golf tournament

I'm amazed anyone can watch golf, unless you're looking at those unathletic asian women :wub:

Russian women in tennis are also fun to watch.

I'm amazed anyone can watch golf, unless you're looking at those unathletic asian women :wub:

I'm a sports nut, or used to be before I had my son.

Id watch PBA bowling, pong pong, badminton. ice skating. you name it

I only watch the majors and the TPC at Sawgrass anymore. I just can't justify spending that kind of time on it. Playing is also a significant time investment, but it's something I can do with my friends and/or sons while walking a few miles.

I'm lucky one of my friends is a Super at the #1 9 hole course in the country. Awesome landscape, challenging course, no carts, no crowds. I hardly play anywhere else now.

I DVR'd Federer vs Randon German guy over night and watched at work this morning.

I can't watch golf if it's a bunch of stiffs, same as Tennis.

I only watched the last 6 holes of the this weekends golf tournament

I'm more intrigued by the women. A few years ago, one of the grand slams featured Ivanovic vs. Sharapova. My wife wanted to know since when did I watch tennis?

We took family tennis lessons last year and the instructor was quite nice to look at. I hope she does it again this year.

I only watch the majors and the TPC at Sawgrass anymore. I just can't justify spending that kind of time on it. Playing is also a significant time investment, but it's something I can do with my friends and/or sons while walking a few miles.

I'm lucky one of my friends is a Super at the #1 9 hole course in the country. Awesome landscape, challenging course, no carts, no crowds. I hardly play anywhere else now.

I've played golf once. All I could do is look up at the mountains surrounding the artificially perfect landscaping, and wonder why the fvck I wasn't doing something active in the real world.

I'm more intrigued by the women. A few years ago, one of the grand slams featured Ivanovic vs. Sharapova. My wife wanted to know since when did I watch tennis?

We took family tennis lessons last year and the instructor was quite nice to look at. I hope she does it again this year.

wow dude, you really went out of your way to prove youre not a perv

I've played golf once. All I could do is look up at the mountains surrounding the artificially perfect landscaping, and wonder why the fvck I wasn't doing something active in the real world.

My "home course" is gorgeous, right near the ocean, you can see beaches in the yonder.

One of the tee boxes is at the highest point and you can see everything for miles. I often peer out and wonder why I don't look around more when golfing

• Like 1

wow dude, you really went out of your way to prove youre not a perv

It was awesome Get some exercise, hit the ball around with my sons, stare at the instructor and wife prance around in their little tennis skirts.

Go home, bang the sweaty wife, cook dinner and go to sleep.

The perfect summer day.

It was awesome Get some exercise, hit the ball around with my sons, stare at the instructor and wife prance around in their little tennis skirts.

Go home, bang the sweaty wife, cook dinner and go to sleep.

The perfect summer day.

:cheers:

Granted, this isn't mountain climbing or surfing, but for a 53 yr old guy, carrying my own clubs up and down the hills and sand dunes around this course for 2.5 hours is fairly active for a weeknight.

Granted, this isn't mountain climbing or surfing, but for a 53 yr old guy, carrying my own clubs up and down the hills and sand dunes around this course for 2.5 hours is fairly active for a weeknight.

I use a push cart, but I concur

• Like 1

2. Both sports have their share of top competitors. There is nothing watered down about today's top tennis players - quite the opposite, as several of them are all-time greats.

4. Federer's domination of tennis in his prime was unprecedented. Google his Grand Slam record (ETA see Edjr's post).

I'm biased in the fact that I'm a golfer? But I hate tiger woods. I don't think you can claim bias here... maybe igno rance due to not knowing as much tennis as golf.

Are you sure on your first two points? Is tennis truely more popular globally than golf? And I find it hard to believe there is as much top tennis talent as there is golf since Tiger hit the scene.

I won't argue the athleticism required. Boo Weekly ain't playing tennis but there are some very athletic golfers.

I'm biased in the fact that I'm a golfer? But I hate tiger woods. I don't think you can claim bias here... maybe igno rance due to not knowing as much tennis as golf.

Are you sure on your first two points? Is tennis truely more popular globally than golf? And I find it hard to believe there is as much top tennis talent as there is golf since Tiger hit the scene.

I won't argue the athleticism required. Boo Weekly ain't playing tennis but there are some very athletic golfers.

The tone of your post supports your bias and ignorance. Why are you so incredulous that tennis is popular or competitive? You can look up the data rather than assuming golf is superior to tennis in both regards. And spare me the athletic golfer nonsense.

ETA: First google result for "most popular sport" lists tennis as #4, golf as #8. Other sites list golf lower.

Nadal and Djokovic are arguably top 5-10 male tennis players of all time. Federer started playing when Sampras was ending his career, but he is also top 2-3. How many top ten all time golfers played against Tiger?

The tone of your post supports both your bias and ignorance. Why are you so incredulous that tennis is popular or competitive? You can look up the data rather than assuming golf is superior to tennis in both regards.

did you provide data to prove your bias assertion?

The tone of your replies, the anger speaks of bias as well...

I gave my opinion on the matter and if you actually read my posts everything I said specifically about Federer I posed as a question stating that I fully admit that I don't follow tennis enough to actually know.. they were legitimate questions

If people think Federer is better than woods and that he dominated better competition, stronger fields, more challenging venues etc. I'm not losing sleep over it. I can't stand Tigger

Yeah I agree. I pretty much strictly walk when golfing these days. I'll ride a cart if I am getting messy with beers. But 90% of the time I walk. What is it 6 miles or so for 18 holes? I play 36-45 holes a week I would say. So like 10-15 miles a week with 30lb bag.....if it weren't for golf I probably wouldn't see much exercise other than I guess, yard work.

• Like 1

The tone of your replies, the anger speaks of bias as well...

I gave my opinion on the matter and if you actually read my posts everything I said specifically about Federer I posed as a question stating that I fully admit that I don't follow tennis enough to actually know.. they were legitimate questions

If people think Federer is better than woods and that he dominated better competition, stronger fields, more challenging venues etc. I'm not losing sleep over it. I can't stand Tigger

I'm not angry. I just hope you can concede there is legitimacy to the "other side" of the argument.

Since I am less knowledgeable of golf, who are the great competitors Tiger has bested? Phil Mickelson is the only all time great I know.

Yeah I agree. I pretty much strictly walk when golfing these days. I'll ride a cart if I am getting messy with beers. But 90% of the time I walk. What is it 6 miles or so for 18 holes? I play 36-45 holes a week I would say. So like 10-15 miles a week with 30lb bag.....if it weren't for golf I probably wouldn't see much exercise other than I guess, yard work.

That's terrible for someone your age. Get out and do something before your body fails you!

I'm not angry. I just hope you can concede there is legitimacy to the "other side" of the argument.

Since I am less knowledgeable of golf, who are the great competitors Tiger has bested? Phil Mickelson is the only all time great I know.

thats the thing, i never said there was no legitimacy to the other side of the argument. If that had been my stance, I likely wouldn't have been asking question regarding how Federer is viewed in the tennis world.

The all time greats that Federer had bested include Nadal and whom else? I really liked Agassi but is he considered an all time great, maybe so but he retired early in Federers career I would assume? Is Djokovic? I believe Djokovic has bested him in grand slam match ups. Pretty sure Nadal has the better record in finals as well. Is Murray an all timer?

Mickelson is likely the only top 10 (up for debate) in golf history but this is going to speak to my point of golf being the deeper talent pool sport. In Tennis, how many guys are really in contention for a grand slam? In golf, many more are in contention for a major. It's not apples to apples, obviously as Golf has larger fields, varying venues, mother nature and its not actual head to head..... Off the top of my head, I would consider Mickelson, Ernie Els and Vijay Singh to be "all time" golf greats that Tiger bested with regularity. David Duval was world #1 13 wins and a major winner. Colin Montgomerie, albeit without a major, is on of the best European Tour golfers ever and a Hall of Famer. He might be like an Agassi type was for Federer or perhaps a better Agassi comparison would be Jose Maria Olazabal. Padraig Harrington will be a HOFer as well.

Mickelson has 5 majors, Els has 4, Singh has 3. All but Els' 1994 US Open came during Tiger's prime years

You said Tiger >> Roger, and that golf is far more competitive and popular. After you made those assertions you asked a little more about tennis, but it was clear your mind was already made up.

thats the thing, i never said there was no legitimacy to the other side of the argument. If that had been my stance, I likely wouldn't have been asking question regarding how Federer is viewed in the tennis world.

The all time greats that Federer had bested include Nadal and whom else? I really liked Agassi but is he considered an all time great, maybe so but he retired early in Federers career I would assume? Is Djokovic? I believe Djokovic has bested him in grand slam match ups. Pretty sure Nadal has the better record in finals as well. Is Murray an all timer?

Mickelson is likely the only top 10 (up for debate) in golf history but this is going to speak to my point of golf being the deeper talent pool sport. In Tennis, how many guys are really in contention for a grand slam? In golf, many more are in contention for a major. It's not apples to apples, obviously as Golf has larger fields, varying venues, mother nature and its not actual head to head..... Off the top of my head, I would consider Mickelson, Ernie Els and Vijay Singh to be "all time" golf greats that Tiger bested with regularity. David Duval was world #1 13 wins and a major winner. Colin Montgomerie, albeit without a major, is on of the best European Tour golfers ever and a Hall of Famer. He might be like an Agassi type was for Federer or perhaps a better Agassi comparison would be Jose Maria Olazabal. Padraig Harrington will be a HOFer as well.

Mickelson has 5 majors, Els has 4, Singh has 3. All but Els' 1994 US Open came during Tiger's prime years

There are less top competitors in tennis because of Federer's dominance. It's difficult to usurp #1 if one guy is winning every major tournament. I don't think there is a good way to compare the depth of the talent pool, but Federer has clearly been at the top of his game longer, in a sport where competitive longevity is more difficult.