Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

Chicago Dog Sauce

Only dogs I buy are Hebrew National.

1/4 lb.ers. :thumbsup:

Miller makes a good dog too.

1/4 lb.ers. :thumbsup:

Miller makes a good dog too.

Hebrew National are all Beef dogs. Nothing like sausage.

Hebrew National are all Beef dogs. Nothing like sausage.

"A sausage is a cylindrical meat product usually made from ground meat, often pork, beef, or veal, along with salt, spices and other flavourings..."

:dunno:

Ketchup is just a boring sh!tty condiment. There is literally nothing ketchup is used for that there isn't a better sauce for.

Ketchup has it's uses. It's great on meatloaf, for instance. I used to put it on scrambled eggs when I was a kid.

It's just not meant for hot dogs.

Put ketchup and mustard on dogs and burgers. Combined they are a different condiment. :dunno:

This is true, combined they do take on a different flavor. Add some mayo and sriracha to taste and it beats the secret sauce at Bronco Burger. :thumbsup:

Ketchup has it's uses. It's great on meatloaf, for instance. I used to put it on scrambled eggs when I was a kid.

It's just not meant for hot dogs.

Sure. It's good on meatloaf. But BBQ is better. Fine with fries. But I'd rather have BBQ, sweet and sour, garlic chili, or a dozen other sauces.

And scrambled eggs? Gross. I did it too when I was a kid, but gross.

Sure. It's good on meatloaf. But BBQ is better. Fine with fries. But I'd rather have BBQ, sweet and sour, garlic chili, or a dozen other sauces.

And scrambled eggs? Gross. I did it too when I was a kid, but gross.

:lol: @ scrambled eggs. Agreed.

However, a little bit of ketchup on some Sheppard's Pie... :wub:

Again, BBQ or a1 would be better.

:nono:

I'm afraid we must disagree to agree, sir.

:nono:

I'm afraid we must disagree to agree, sir.

I always use A-1 on Shepards pie.

Ketchup is just the Budweiser of condiments. It's ok, and often does the job. But it's never the best choice.

Ketchup is just the Budweiser of condiments. It's ok, and often does the job. But it's never the best choice.

Philistine. Jesus, what a bunch of awful people around here.

The only acceptable condiment on shepherd's pie is of course Lea & perrins. That's what it was created for.

Well, well, we have ourselves an aristocrat. ;)

I don't understand the dislike of ketchup on a hot dog... What is so bad about it?

It's just sorta of a childlike move to wanna sweeten everything you eat with ketchup.

Ketchup on dogs or fries reminds me of something I would do when I was 5.

Hormel used to make (hard to find now) 'Wranglers'. Bun length, all beef -

and most importantly, had that casing that snaps. Gotta have that snap.

Miss those.

Hormel used to make (hard to find now) 'Wranglers'. Bun length, all beef -

and most importantly, had that casing that snaps. Gotta have that snap.

Miss those.

cool story

i am not a fan of ketchup in general. i have used it to start homemade bbq sauce, and other sauces, find it too sweet for everyday use. i have loved quite a few home made ketchups. plain is even good, but many chefs who make their own play with different ingredients for them. since i was young i preferred bbq to ketchup.

hot dogs/frankfurters: either bbq or mustard & kraut

caspers

nathans

local butcher

enjoy brats, knockwurst, nuernberger wurst,weiss wurst, bockwurst, polish, and sometimes italian (do not love peppers or fennel).... mustard and kraut

i rarely have yellow mustard at home: brown, grainy, misc dijon, some have wine, or other flavors.

burgers: so many flavor combos for topping and condiments. i can tolerate ketchup with mayo (close to thousand island)

for those of you interested in some excellent wurst:

https://www.stiglmeier.com/

i am not a fan of ketchup in general. i have used it to start homemade bbq sauce, and other sauces, find it too sweet for everyday use. i have loved quite a few home made ketchups. plain is even good, but many chefs who make their own play with different ingredients for them. since i was young i preferred bbq to ketchup.

hot dogs/frankfurters: either bbq or mustard & kraut

caspers

nathans

local butcher

enjoy brats, knockwurst, nuernberger wurst,weiss wurst, bockwurst, polish, and sometimes italian (do not love peppers or fennel).... mustard and kraut

i rarely have yellow mustard at home: brown, grainy, misc dijon, some have wine, or other flavors.

burgers: so many flavor combos for topping and condiments. i can tolerate ketchup with mayo (close to thousand island)

for those of you interested in some excellent wurst:

https://www.stiglmeier.com/

The last time I got a link like this I ordered a huge amount of BBQ rubs from penzys, just starting loading up a cart of grilling brats and some exotic looking stuff

• Like 1

when i was cooking, i used them for oktoberfest specials. great stuff.

One of these days, I want to go all European and try a worst with curry sauce. I can't even imagine it. Which means, I really want to try it.

One of these days, I want to go all European and try a worst with curry sauce. I can't even imagine it. Which means, I really want to try it.

it's not bad, just doesn't drive me. i preferred the assorted platter with the brown gravy

Every single person here, to a man, likes ketchup and eats French fries with it. Stop this bullcrap poser Shiite where you try to look sophisticated by saying you don't like it. I've never met a single person in my life who didn't like ketchup and didn't dip their frys in it. It's fine to not prefer it on hot dogs, but stop lying and acting like you are above it. You all eat it. Jesus Christ.

Do you really think I was dishonest above? For me it it is a last resort. Even simple burgers and fries give me bbq, ranch, teriyaki, thousand island.... If the burger is dry and nothing else is around..... Ketchup & maybe mayo

Do you really think I was dishonest above? For me it it is a last resort. Even simple burgers and fries give me bbq, ranch, teriyaki, thousand island.... If the burger is dry and nothing else is around..... Ketchup & maybe mayo

Preferring other condiments above it is not the same as not liking it. A last resort is still a resort. I prefer all those that you listed as well.

So if you are at a BBQ and they are serving burgers and salad, and they have ketchup and maybe some other condiments you don't like, and they have ranch dressing for the salad, that you put the salad dressing on your burger?

Yes... I put on the ranch vs ketchup

Yes... I put on the ranch vs ketchup

It's a bold move

Every single person here, to a man, likes ketchup and eats French fries with it. Stop this bullcrap poser Shiite where you try to look sophisticated by saying you don't like it. I've never met a single person in my life who didn't like ketchup and didn't dip their frys in it. It's fine to not prefer it on hot dogs, but stop lying and acting like you are above it. You all eat it. Jesus Christ.

Wrong. The only thing I like on my fries is salt.

Occasionally, chili cheese fries, but I haven't had those in ages.

I have eaten the ketchup and mayo combo on a burger, and it's not bad.

I've also had truffle fries a couple of times and a plate of pesto fries in Green Bay that were awesome.

This guy knows what's up.

I'll confess, I usually put ketchup on my hot dogs. Along with yellow mustard and diced onion. I don't put a lot of ketchup on though because it can drown out the flavor.

I think the snobbery comes from -- if you are eating a quality, all-beef hot dog its kind of like putting ketchup on a steak. Why ruin a decent piece of meat with that?

But that said, it's still a focking hot dog. I don't care if it's kosher, no by-products, yada yada yada. It costs a $1.50 or so at most and you put it in the microwave for a minute. Get over yourself.

I also put ketchup on hash browns. But again, not a lot. Just a little drizzle.

And of course french fries, although I prefer fry sauce for that. Although fry sauce typically has some ketchup in it. If you've never heard of fry sauce apparently it's sort of a regional thing, mostly in the west.

I'll confess, I usually put ketchup on my hot dogs. Along with yellow mustard and diced onion. I don't put a lot of ketchup on though because it can drown out the flavor.

I think the snobbery comes from -- if you are eating a quality, all-beef hot dog its kind of like putting ketchup on a steak. Why ruin a decent piece of meat with that?

But that said, it's still a focking hot dog. I don't care if it's kosher, no by-products, yada yada yada. It costs a $1.50 or so at most and you put it in the microwave for a minute. Get over yourself.

Thank you Worms!

It's a focking HOT DOG for crying out loud.

for hot dogs, i will go plain before i would go for ketchup

i just asked my 11 year old daughter rank her favorite hot dog toppings:

1. sauerkraut

2. bbq sauce

3. ketchup

4. honey mustard

for hot dogs, i will go plain before i would go for ketchup

I prefer a demi-glaze with a mango-chutney reduction.

On my focking thirty-three cent Ballpark meat tube

Brats

Sausage

Steak

Pork

Don't ruin the meat.

A hot dog is but a vessel for whatever condiment suits your fancy. Nothing is off limits.

I prefer a demi-glaze with

my steak or lamb

a mango-chutney reduction.

for chicken or fish

On my focking thirty-three cent Ballpark meat tube

i'll take mustard and kraut, or bbq sauce, or plain. i typically keep decent hot dogs around the house. if we hosting a party with kids, we will get your $.33 hotdogs. ketchup is provided to whomever likes it (though we are magically out when cooking steaks).

i am not telling you not to savor your ketchup on your hot dog. it's not my bag.

as for more exotic, this place is pretty fun:

http://www.hankshautedogs.com/menu.html