Sign in to follow this  
remote controller

** Round 8-10 Commentary - July PPR **

I need Ertz to step up to his potential. This has been a top 5 offense for the past two years and Maclin is gone along with DeSean. It's Matthews ,Murray and Ertz now, and hopefully still a top 5 offense.

.....so, I'm sitting here making some homemade cookies.......and thinking,...."Am I a man or a mouse in this draft?"

Sure, I was going to take a QB and Ertz, play it safe.......but WTF, why not have some fun and take Brady and 2 QBs at the turn! Brady will be out 2-4 games, if that, since he may go thru the Court System with an appeal and he may get to play during his appeal.

Good to have 2 explosive QBs in BB format......so I went for it. I can take any grief from you pros, but at least I explained it!

I will never bemoan someone who takes 2 qbs in a row if thats what they believe is the best value. Though i will say there are qbs who can be had late that i love to pair with Brady.

I will never bemoan someone who takes 2 qbs in a row if thats what they believe is the best value. Though i will say there are qbs who can be had late that i love to pair with Brady.

Agreed. But having Megatron I liked the idea of pairing him with Stafford. I would loved to also had Ryan to go with Julio....but RLLD took care of that option!

Agreed. But having Megatron I liked the idea of pairing him with Stafford. I would loved to also had Ryan to go with Julio....but RLLD took care of that option!

Isnt the conventional philosophy pairing a qb + wr from the same team actually making a team slightly less consistent?

I was looking at Manning /Brady as the corner approached. Manning fell and I grabbed Romo, but still almost went for Brady. As long as your team is solid that can be done. I guarantee you JScott would have snagged him mid round.

Isnt the conventional philosophy pairing a qb + wr from the same team actually making a team slightly less consistent?

I even like the pairing of stud RB /stud QB better, especially if that RB catches passes. With this scenario I can't be aced out. with one of the two dominating a series then the other stealing the show.

Would have loved Manning/CJ, Rodgers/Lacy, or Big Ben/Bell

Good point, and I would appreciate a short discussion by everyone as to the merits of this. Especially since the "real" drafts are coming up next month. What say you all about this approach??

I guarantee you JScott would have snagged him mid round.

:nono: With Luck scoring all-time highs each and every week I don't see the need to spend a mid-rounder on another QB :dunno:

There's about four receivers I liked at 8.4. I settled on Agholor as the new "Z" in the Eagles' offense - the same role that led to Maclin's huge 2014 and D-Jax's huge 2013. I don't expect the rookie to perform quite at that level, but he has the route-running chops, scheme and job security necessary to hold down my WR3 spot.

Good point, and I would appreciate a short discussion by everyone as to the merits of this. Especially since the "real" drafts are coming up next month. What say you all about this approach??

I like having the best WR on the team paired up with his QB. I don't always go out of my way to do it but if it's available to me like it was with Brown and Big Ben then I'm going to do it. Years ago I had Romo with Austin and did amazing. Nothing more rewarding than seeing your QB complete a pass for TD to your WR.

One of the downsides about having the combo is that if one of those two players is hurt or having a bad game it can affect the other player. I myself don't worry about it.

8.05 - TE Julius Thomas, JAX ... TE was not an area of need with Graham on board, but he was too good to pass up here. There seems to be two schools of thought on Thomas, 1.) he went for money grab and will now half-ass it or 2.) will become his young QBs security blanket and see a lot of targets/check-downs.

Obviously I think #2. And as such, have him as my 4th ranked TE and a late 6th round value, so decided not to pass on him. He'll pair great with Graham in this format.

8.05 - TE Julius Thomas, JAX ... TE was not an area of need with Graham on board, but he was too good to pass up here. There seems to be two schools of thought on Thomas, 1.) he went for money grab and will now half-ass it or 2.) will become his young QBs security blanket and see a lot of targets/check-downs.

Obviously I think #2. And as such, have him as my 4th ranked TE and a late 6th round value, so decided not to pass on him. He'll pair great with Graham in this format.

I like the idea a little better if TE can flex like in MFL. There is no flex so if i have a stud i usually wait until later to grab a high upside backup. Again, if he is your obvious BPA, it makes sense to take him.

I know I'm going to miss out at other positions now but I wanted to make sure I got two good QBs. Between Big Ben and Tannehill I think I can get big points each week.

I don't like pairing QB/WR. If the QB goes down or is having a bad day (due to pass rush or whatever) then it takes the WR out too. Yes, if the QB throws 3 TDs to the WR you double-up, but you can get that with another WR too (3 QB TDs and 3 WR TDs). But with a different WR, if your QB goes down you don't automatically lose your WR too.

To me I only see downside to pairing QB/WR.

I like the idea a little better if TE can flex like in MFL. There is no flex so if i have a stud i usually wait until later to grab a high upside backup. Again, if he is your obvious BPA, it makes sense to take him.

I hear you. Unlike my feeling that Luck will perform studly each week, I'm not as confident in Graham doing the same on SEA. And yes, Thomas was my BPA, by a lot. If it had been close I would have erred on the side of need but based on my projections pairing these two TEs together should give me studly production each week in a BB format.

After a long spell of researching Julius Thomas, only to realize he had been selected already, I settled on Witten. :huh:

You made out better anyway, do not expect Thomas to ever replicate h is previous production in n Jax

Thomas is an althetically superior player who theoretically could be the safety blanket and arguably top target, along with Allen, for Jax.

I think there's some upside there.

Witten is as steady as they come and Dallas will not run the ball as much as they did in 2014 so he should be right where he always if not a touch better.

All in all considering I waited on both poistions Eli and Witten are safe if un sexy players to hold down my top spots.

I'll see what my projections tell me when I get to Jacksonville, but I'd bet that Bortles will only be able to keep one WR or TE fantasy-relevant and I'd bet on Robinson to be that guy. I suppose it is possible that Thomas puts up a Marcedes Lewis-like year (circa 2010) when he had his 10-TD season b/c he's such a red-zone beast, although I'm more inclined to believe he'll play about 12 games and end up around 50 catches and 6-7 TDs.

Listening to sports radio this morning they were talking about Bortles. Do any of you know what his QB rating was in the redzone last year? 3!!! It might be slightly higher, 3 point something but still below 4.

I know Thomas is going to help and the team is getting better but I don't see him putting up TE1 numbers this year. Maybe next year.

Listening to sports radio this morning they were talking about Bortles. Do any of you know what his QB rating was in the redzone last year? 3!!! It might be slightly higher, 3 point something but still below 4.

I know Thomas is going to help and the team is getting better but I don't see him putting up TE1 numbers this year. Maybe next year.

3.2 to be exact. The local sports radio, 670 the score in chicago, was dismayed that any qb could be that bad. They also said that comparing his rating under pressure to his rating when hes not under pressure, he had the second largest difference i believe.

The one belief that i no longer buy in to is a TE can be good for fantasy as a young qbs security blanket. It never really works out. Im not saying it relates to Julius Thomas, but just in general i never see a real advantage to having the TE that "bails a young qb out".

Witten is in for a bounce back year statistically. All of the other measurable on him were normal last season except attempts and Yardage. YPC was the same, more importantly a 71% completion clip with his Qb. They ran Muurray last year in many spots where Witten would have been used the years before. This team does not have Murray anymore and Randle and McFly won't replicate what Murray accomplished. I bump Witten easily back into a top 5 TE this year

I was hoping he'd make it to the next corner for me.

3.2 to be exact. The local sports radio, 670 the score in chicago, was dismayed that any qb could be that bad. They also said that comparing his rating under pressure to his rating when hes not under pressure, he had the second largest difference i believe.

The one belief that i no longer buy in to is a TE can be good for fantasy as a young qbs security blanket. It never really works out. Im not saying it relates to Julius Thomas, but just in general i never see a real advantage to having the TE that "bails a young qb out".

That's the station I listen to. I thought it was hilarious when they talked about it.

I'm not a big believer in the TE/rookie QB combo either. It sounds really nice when people explain how it's a great scenario but I have yet to see it work all that well for me in fantasy. There are always exceptions of course.

Beernuts, I already picked Marshall with pick 5.06.

I thought so, don't fault the guy for taking where he should be picked tho 8p

Beernuts, I already picked Marshall with pick 5.06.

I sent him a PM just now noting this.

Guys, I'll be offline golfing today. I'll try and check in via my phone when I can. Hopefully I get to make my 9th before I head out but if not I'll leave a list for 9 and 10.

Changed it. Wow you took bmarsh early. I looked back three rounds to make sure i didnt see him. Should have looked back 4.

Guys, I'll be offline golfing today. I'll try and check in via my phone when I can. Hopefully I get to make my 9th before I head out but if not I'll leave a list for 9 and 10.

Jeff:

I am here all day until the music concert in the park tonight. Send me your picks if you want. I may need the return favor tomorrow if we go hiking.

I have my own draft rankings and that's where I had Marshall. He was the best player available at that point for me.

Hawkeye: Your pick!

I have my own draft rankings and that's where I had Marshall. He was the best player available at that point for me.

I think he will catch a lot of passes so im not saying its a bad pick by any means. He may even be right where he should go. He just wasnt really on my radar until last round.