Sign in to follow this  
Frozenbeernuts

This is why I love living near Chicago

And the usualhacks made this political.

Was thinking the same thing. I mean jeezus, it's a steak thread.

• Like 1

Well, the alternative is to listen to a guy who lives 46 miles outside of Chicago say that he has access to the best food of every cuisine ever. :dunno:

I have access to the largest selection pretty much. While a lot of places have 1 or 2 great areas of food, Chicago has great food in cuisine type. I thought it was common sense. :dunno: :dunno:

most lists are debatable.

Much like music, food is subjective to each individuals taste.

I have access to the largest selection pretty much. While a lot of places have 1 or 2 great areas of food, Chicago has great food in cuisine type. I thought it was common sense. :dunno: :dunno:

Dude, 46 miles is not access, it is a 1/2 day road trip for a meal. And if you claim that, you need to claim the 7 murders in Chicago since we started this discussion. And there is nothing special about steak in Chicago vs. a host of other places including Phoenix. You've got no shores for seafood, no Asian, no Mexican... just dead gang bangers and an attitude that isn't deserved. :dunno:

Dude, 46 miles is not access, it is a 1/2 day road trip for a meal. And if you claim that, you need to claim the 7 murders in Chicago since we started this discussion. And there is nothing special about steak in Chicago vs. a host of other places including Phoenix. You've got no shores for seafood, no Asian, no Mexican... just dead gang bangers and an attitude that isn't deserved. :dunno:

Says the man with a choking kat for an avatar :mad:

We had a top 25 list, a physical pamphlet that made its rounds through this area recently. It was of top 25 pizzas In Chicago. Somehow Pizzaria Uno's deep dish pizza wasn't on the list. It's the absolute best deep dish pizza I have ever had, and probably my overall favorite.

I have seen a few lists that don't have Chicago even represented on it. I think it's more a purposeful snub at Chicago pizza because of how arrogant we are about pizza superiority.

The two things that aren't great around here from my experience, seafood and BBQ. There are probably some solid places, but not like the west coast or south.

San Francisco has great food too. I liked that city a lot.

Unos used to be good ...of the more well known and now franchises...I prefer Giordanos

and for the style i like ginos east

• Like 1

Unos used to be good ...of the more well known and now franchises...I prefer Giordanos

Oh boy.

San Francisco has great food too. I liked that city a lot.

I hate that city very much, but I can't argue with the food aspect.

Every time I've been there, the food has been phenomenal

The chain Unos is nothing like the original Pizzaria Uno or Due. The chain, I am not a fan of their pizza at all. Really idk how the original allowed a chain to sell pizza at that quality. If ever in Chicago and looking for a new pizza, try the original on State street.

• Like 1

Frick, we did Uno a few months back. Pretty basic pie and the focking thing STILL ran close to $30.

We're not talking black truffle, prosciutto, artichoke heart crap. Just a pretty standard pie. No effing way I"m paying that much for a pizza.

The chain Unos is nothing like the original Pizzaria Uno or Due. The chain, I am not a fan of their pizza at all. Really idk how the original allowed a chain to sell pizza at that quality. If ever in Chicago and looking for a new pizza, try the original on State street.

Had it In Chcago and years ago in MadisonWI and it was good.

Had it again a few years ago and wasn't as good.

Giordanos was good in Chicago and when I went in Orlando.

Though...I do prefer a super thin crust (not those gigantic NY pieces.

Wisconsin bar pizza is what I'd call it.

First of all, I would never go in rush hour. It took 50 mins to get to the restaurant. A little over an hour to eat, and then 50 mins back. 3 hours total for incredible steak.

While I'm sure there's really good steak all over, the Asian food, Mexican food (dude Chicago has a pretty large Mexican population), Greek food (Gyros are not common everywhere), and of course pizza (which any list that doesn't include Chicago pizza is a purposeful snub).

On top of all that, why do I need to claim anything about murders? I don't see the correlation between good food and murders? And you do realize that the murders are more on the outer edges right? Downtown is a relatively safe area. It's like when Chicago people use to travel when Capone was alive. They assume that all of us had run ins with gangsters all the time. Even growing up I would say I was from Chicago and people would go Capone! Even though he had been dead for a long ass time.

First of all, I would never go in rush hour. It took 50 mins to get to the restaurant. A little over an hour to eat, and then 50 mins back. 3 hours total for incredible steak.

While I'm sure there's really good steak all over, the Asian food, Mexican food (dude Chicago has a pretty large Mexican population), Greek food (Gyros are not common everywhere), and of course pizza (which any list that doesn't include Chicago pizza is a purposeful snub).

On top of all that, why do I need to claim anything about murders? I don't see the correlation between good food and murders? And you do realize that the murders are more on the outer edges right? Downtown is a relatively safe area. It's like when Chicago people use to travel when Capone was alive. They assume that all of us had run ins with gangsters all the time. Even growing up I would say I was from Chicago and people would go Capone! Even though he had been dead for a long ass time.

Umm yeah, try 4 hours. Dinner at a place like that is 90 minutes minimum; it takes longer than 50 minutes to get out of a suburb, onto a freeway for 46 miles, into a city, and park. I think it's cute that you live in your little Chicago bubble and think the Asian food compares to the Pacific coast, or Mexican food compares to the southwest. Are there a lot of Greek people there? Maybe, congrats I guess. I know that I can drive 2 miles to a good Gyro place, and hit 5 of them in 10 miles.

Umm yeah, try 4 hours. Dinner at a place like that is 90 minutes minimum; it takes longer than 50 minutes to get out of a suburb, onto a freeway for 46 miles, into a city, and park. I think it's cute that you live in your little Chicago bubble and think the Asian food compares to the Pacific coast, or Mexican food compares to the southwest. Are there a lot of Greek people there? Maybe, congrats I guess. I know that I can drive 2 miles to a good Gyro place, and hit 5 of them in 10 miles.

I live one mile from interstate 55. So yeah I can get on the expressway that quick. And 55 leads right into downtown...

All I know is there is a 99% chance I have access to better food overall than you. Sooo.. I still don't get the thing about me having to claim 7 murders a day?

The wife and I hit up that Uno and then Due when we were out there last year. Lou Malnatis > Uno > Due. But all were delish. The place I WANTED to hit up (but was closed) was Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Company. My cousin's favorite place to go

We'll be there in May for a wedding (week wrapping Mother's Day). Going to the White Sox game Thursday beforehand.

Any spots around US Cellular to eat? Thats near Chinatown huh?

if it were me, i'd hit frontera grill or topolobampo

edit: both about a 10 min drive

• Like 1

Whenever I fly home I pass through O'hare. I always eat the unos there. It's not the best pizza in Chicago by any means, but it beats the hell out of china, or Memphis for that matter.

I live one mile from interstate 55. So yeah I can get on the expressway that quick. And 55 leads right into downtown...

All I know is there is a 99% chance I have access to better food overall than you. Sooo.. I still don't get the thing about me having to claim 7 murders a day?

How is it that you know you have access to better food? Because you can drive an hour each way to a meal I can get in 10 minutes? Chicago is dead nut center of the country, so you think Taco Bell is upscale Mexican food, congrats on that. It's cute for lack of a better word that you live an hour+ outside of Chicago and think you have "access" to better food.

The 7 murders comment was in relation to what you need to risk to get access to your awesome Great Lakes Mexican and Asian food. It's not rocket surgery. :cheers:

Umm, yeah, we do raise cattle. You live in a craptastic area which objectively offers no benefits other than maniacal sports fans, who are maniacal because your region offers nothing else of substance.

Yes, I can get all of that. And in the time it took me to type this, 3 people were murdered in your awesome city.

My memory of Rush Street was a bunch of long skinny bars with fat chicks in oversized sweatshirts to help to hide their fatness. Here, if you can't bounce a quarter off of a chick's abs, they deport her. Enjoy your view. :cheers:

I agree Chicago sucks, but are you really arguing that Phoenix doesn't?

Del Friscos is about 15 minutes from me. The Buckhorn exchange is about 20 on light rail. I can get to downtown Denver, with a bunch of great steakhouses, in about 30. We have so many great steakhouses here. It's a joke that someone is suggesting Chicago is a great steak house destination. Pathetic that transportation is even in this discussion.

Chicago is a great Steakhouse destination. It's not a zero-sum game.though apparently for you, everything is.

Along those lines, Del Frisco's is a chain joint. And Buckhorn Exchange is an overpriced expense account tourist trap.

Chicago and Kansas City both gained the reputation for fantastic beef because of their proximity to The Rail lines. These days, that's not as much of an issue.

Most people live well within an hour of a decent steak joint these days. The difference is, whether you're the guy who pays $65 for a steak and $18 for each individual side when just as good or better steaks can be found for a whole lot less.

Chicago is a great Steakhouse destination. It's not a zero-sum game.though apparently for you, everything is.

Along those lines, Del Frisco's is a chain joint. And Buckhorn Exchange is an overpriced expense account tourist trap.

Chicago and Kansas City both gained the reputation for fantastic beef because of their proximity to The Rail lines. These days, that's not as much of an issue.

Most people live well within an hour of a decent steak joint these days. The difference is, whether you're the guy who pays $65 for a steak and $18 for each individual side when just as good or better steaks can be found for a whole lot less.

Yeah, cause you've been to Buckhorn in the last 10 years.

:lol:

Yeah, cause you've been to Buckhorn in the last 10 years.

:lol:

Yeah, I have. For the money, I'd much rather go Churascaria.

Think about how old and travelled some of those 'exotic' cuts have to be.

Whole place needs a power wash. I don't know anybody who lives here who actually goes there on an even semi-regular basis.

How does it compare to Del Friscos?

I'd call that one a draw. Especially if we're talking about the original Del Frisco's in Dallas.

Have you found any other steakhouses in Chicago to be better? It's the best one I have been to imo, between Gibsons, David Burkes Prime house, and Chicago Cut.

It is by far the best in Chicago.

if it were me, i'd hit frontera grill or topolobampo

edit: both about a 10 min drive

Both solid choices

Also, Lou Malnatti's is the best Chicago style pizza.

Also also, if it weren't for the brutal winters Chicago would be the most populated city in the world. It's a great place.

Also also also, the murderers are mostly contained in the far south and west sides of the city. Nowhere near the places discussed in this thread. It's a world away and that's one of the reasons it's such a problem.

You think the city would turn a blind eye to that sh!t if it were happening on the Gold Coast?

The wife and I hit up that Uno and then Due when we were out there last year. Lou Malnatis > Uno > Due. But all were delish. The place I WANTED to hit up (but was closed) was Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Company. My cousin's favorite place to go

We'll be there in May for a wedding (week wrapping Mother's Day). Going to the White Sox game Thursday beforehand.

Any spots around US Cellular to eat? Thats near Chinatown huh?

Most people's favorite is usually Lou Malnatis or Uno. I love Lou's almost as much, I just think their deep dish is a lot heavier. And I cannot eat their pizza without burping up nasty garlic breath for a few hours afterward.

Del Friscos is about 15 minutes from me. The Buckhorn exchange is about 20 on light rail. I can get to downtown Denver, with a bunch of great steakhouses, in about 30. We have so many great steakhouses here. It's a joke that someone is suggesting Chicago is a great steak house destination. Pathetic that transportation is even in this discussion.

It is a great destination. I'm sure Denver is good too. I didn't mean to exclude your town Strike. I will be more aware of my comments next time.

How is it that you know you have access to better food? Because you can drive an hour each way to a meal I can get in 10 minutes? Chicago is dead nut center of the country, so you think Taco Bell is upscale Mexican food, congrats on that. It's cute for lack of a better word that you live an hour+ outside of Chicago and think you have "access" to better food.

The 7 murders comment was in relation to what you need to risk to get access to your awesome Great Lakes Mexican and Asian food. It's not rocket surgery. :cheers:

You are very upset over this.

Most people's favorite is usually Lou Malnatis or Uno. I love Lou's almost as much, I just think their deep dish is a lot heavier. And I cannot eat their pizza without burping up nasty garlic breath for a few hours afterward.

That was my favorite part :dunno:

I agree Chicago sucks, but are you really arguing that Phoenix doesn't?

Phoenix is a destination location. In the past few years we've had the Superbowl, CFB national championship, and this year the Final Four. Tons of athletes who could live anywhere choose to live and retire here. So many people from Chicago move here (and come down during Spring Training, another awesome thing about here) that Mesa turns into Chicago SW for two months in the spring. :thumbsup:

Speculating, but i think the main draws to AZ are more related to cost of living and climate (activities and ability to stay outside for more of the year), vs culinary venue. I have had very good food in Arizona, but i think it has a hard time cracking the top 10 for US cities.

San Francisco

New York

LA

Seattle/Portland

Chicago

New Orleans

Boston

Miami

Raleigh-Durham

Denver

San Diego

Phoenix/Tuscon

Misc Texas cities

Speculating, but i think the main draws to AZ are more related to cost of living and climate (activities and ability to stay outside for more of the year), vs culinary venue. I have had very good food in Arizona, but i think it has a hard time cracking the top 10 for US cities.

San Francisco

New York

LA

Seattle/Portland

Chicago

New Orleans

Boston

Miami

Raleigh-Durham

Denver

San Diego

Phoenix/Tuscon

Misc Texas cities

I have heard that New Orleans is a bit overrated. I haven't been there myself. I do know that we have some bad ass Cajun food near my town, so if the food from New Orleans is similar it has to be great.

I find the food in New Orleans to be incredibly good (outrageously so). I just do not think it has the range and depth of other cities. There are a few realms that do not satiate me: anything asian, bbq, and cajun/creole. I could live off of any of those for my eternity.

Yeah, I have. For the money, I'd much rather go Churascaria.

Think about how old and travelled some of those 'exotic' cuts have to be.

Whole place needs a power wash. I don't know anybody who lives here who actually goes there on an even semi-regular basis.

The problem is that it is difficult to get A1 at a Churascaria steakhouse.

I find the food in New Orleans to be incredibly good (outrageously so). I just do not think it has the range and depth of other cities. There are a few realms that do not satiate me: anything asian, bbq, and cajun/creole. I could live off of any of those for my eternity.

New Orleans is a sheet hole. At least the touristy French Quarter. Smells like piss 24 7

New Orleans is a sheet hole. At least the touristy French Quarter. Smells like piss 24 7

Ive heard it is a really dirty city. I have a wedding there in october and staying in, the French Quarter.