Sign in to follow this  
jerryskids

How would you respond?

Legally Blonde was on the other day, let him dream. :nono:

Wasn't that Harvard or Yale? There are some hotties there because women who come from $ can afford to look their best :wub:

A hottie at MIT? :lol:

Maybe not a lot of Kate Upner types, but I bet there are plenty of cute nerdy Asian girls. :music_guitarred:

Wasn't that Harvard or Yale? There are some hotties there because women who come from $ can afford to look their best :wub:

There are some attractive girls (including Asians) but yeah, one big difference is that they don't spend an hour each morning primping themselves. Unless you consider throwing on sweatpants "primping". :lol:

There are some attractive girls (including Asians) but yeah, one big difference is that they don't spend an hour each morning primping themselves. Unless you consider throwing on sweatpants "primping". :lol:

Girl next door. :wub:

Update: I sent him an email Friday proposing a meeting on Tuesday (tomorrow). In the email I put in bold, underlined font "please confirm your availability." I then offered today or Wednesday as alternatives if tomorrow didn't work.

No response yet. Sigh... this kid will need to be able to cure cancer to get my recommendation at this point.

I'm tempted to just not show up tomorrow, but I won't do that. This afternoon I'll send him another email saying I expected a response, and that I do not plan to attend without one.

Sent him the email saying I hadn't heard from him and didn't plan to go to the Starbucks if I didn't. Got this response in the evening:

yes, I will be there tomorrow at 4:30. Is it casual dress?

I thought about responding "however you think is appropriate for the best technology university in the world," but I was kinder.

Met him yesterday. He had on a suit, which was good. He was nice enough and clearly acted out of ignorance, so at the end I discussed it with him. I assured him that it wouldn't hurt my report, but I thought he could learn for the future.

Afterward he sent me several emails with a much different tone. That's all the good news. The bad news is that he sucked as a candidate. He has practically no activities and nothing special to report. So he probably won't get in, and he'll think he killed his chances because of the emails. :(

Met him yesterday. He had on a suit, which was good. He was nice enough and clearly acted out of ignorance, so at the end I discussed it with him. I assured him that it wouldn't hurt my report, but I thought he could learn for the future.

Afterward he sent me several emails with a much different tone. That's all the good news. The bad news is that he sucked as a candidate. He has practically no activities and nothing special to report. So he probably won't get in, and he'll think he killed his chances because of the emails. :(

Well, his emails were indicative of someone who lacks interpersonal skills, which are usually improved with activities outside of school. This is why colleges want well-rounded people instead of total geeks.

Well, his emails were indicative of someone who lacks interpersonal skills, which are usually improved with activities outside of school. This is why colleges want well-rounded people instead of total geeks.

Good points, although your last point isn't exactly true for MIT. They prefer people who excel at one or more things vs people who are good at a lot of different things.

You did the right thing. It's not your fault this loser kid was a sh!tty candidate :thumbsup:

Good points, although your last point isn't exactly true for MIT. They prefer people who excel at one or more things vs people who are good at a lot of different things.

I would think that MIT would be getting people that excel at more than one thing and have interpersonal skills. One of the ways that you get interpersonal skills is dealing with people, which many of those other activities involve. Right?

In other words, they want studs at math, physics and technical disciplines, but they can't be just shut-ins with nothing else, because there are plenty of other kids out there who are just as good at those technical disciplines who have those interpersonal skills.

I would think that MIT would be getting people that excel at more than one thing and have interpersonal skills. One of the ways that you get interpersonal skills is dealing with people, which many of those other activities involve. Right?

In other words, they want studs at math, physics and technical disciplines, but they can't be just shut-ins with nothing else, because there are plenty of other kids out there who are just as good at those technical disciplines who have those interpersonal skills.

Interpersonal skills, yes. And multiple activities helps. But in general they pursue "diversity" through multiple individuals who excel at different things. For instance, they would prefer a pro baseball prospect, a ballerina with an offer to join the NY Ballet Company, and a world ranked chess player over three people each of whom are good but not great at baseball, dance, and chess.

Interpersonal skills, yes. And multiple activities helps. But in general they pursue "diversity" through multiple individuals who excel at different things. For instance, they would prefer a pro baseball prospect, a ballerina with an offer to join the NY Ballet Company, and a world ranked chess player over three people each of whom are good but not great at baseball, dance, and chess.

Who are you kidding? MIT sucks at baseball. :lol:

Who are you kidding? MIT sucks at baseball. :lol:

I had one of my candidates admitted last year. He is a pro baseball prospect; has a scouts.com page and everything. The year before last I had two admits, and one was on the junior national rowing team.

Google Jason Szuminski. MIT grad who pitched for the Padres.

A fellow interviewer had the ballerina example. She chose MIT over the ballet which he thought was a mistake. I did as well, but that is a different story.

I made up the third example but I'm confident that there are some ranked chess players there. :dunno:

I would put my ###### in the mashed potatoes.

I bet your fun at parties... please don't show up at any parties I'm at.