Sign in to follow this  
Baker Boy

Petition Demanding Black Students Be Exempt From Failing Grades Has 1,300 Signatures

When Columbia Law School let Black students postpone their final exams because they might be traumatized by recent protests, they really let the cat out of the bag.

Now students at Oberlin College, one of the most liberal college in the country are demanding African-American students be completely exempt from failing this semester because theyre so deeply affected in times like this.

So far, the Ohio college has said they will allow professors to exercise flexibility in emergency incomplete requests, but has not given a flat out pass to all Black students.

http://downtrend.com/robertgehl/college-students-demand-blacks-be-exempt-from-failing-grades-because-racism/

To be fair, they are going to be graduating with a Liberal Arts Major, so it doesn't count anyway.

Whoever wrote the petition in your link should fail English.

Also if I were a black student there I would firebomb that thing. How pathetic.

Glad you found something to have a hissy fit about today. I was worried you might have to go one whole day without some supposedly liberal thing to stoke your outrage :(

Basically, no student especially black students and students of color should be failing a class this semester.

While pathetic, apparently it would apply to all students and not just black students. It would just apply to them "especially", whatever the fock that means.

Glad you found something to have a hissy fit about today. I was worried you might have to go one whole day without some supposedly liberal thing to stoke your outrage :(

Move along.

This thread is too nuanced for you.

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!

And America proudly welcomes a new generation of victims to society.

Correct. How pathetic to continue encouraging the mentality of victimization.

Correct. How pathetic to continue encouraging the mentality of victimization.

It doesn't seem like the University is encouraging it at all.

It doesn't seem like the University is encouraging it at all.

Every single individual should assail this effort, turn away from it, and make it clear that they are not a victim in this case. African American leaders should lead, not pretend that African 's are victims of the law, but instead acknoledge that they are victims of their own bad choices, and start encouraging good choices. its not the "solution", but a good start.

Every single individual should assail this effort, turn away from it, and make it clear that they are not a victim in this case. African American leaders should lead, not pretend that African 's are victims of the law, but instead acknoledge that they are victims of their own bad choices, and start encouraging good choices. its not the "solution", but a good start.

A bunch of students at a university circulate a poorly written petition to try to get out of work, and every single individual should assail it?

What should really happen is exactyl what happened. The University ignored it.

A bunch of students at a university circulate a poorly written petition to try to get out of work, and every single individual should assail it?

Yes, this is symptomatic of the wider issue: accountability.

Until the African American community points to these situations and declares BS, then this mentality is more than simply accepted, it is ingrained, and at every turn accountability is not simply avoided, it is declared racism.

It is a good time to stop pretending to be the victim, to start taking ownership, to imbue the African American community with a sense of collective responsbility for its own outcomes. It is time to stop pretending that racism is holding them back, they are holding themselves back. The cops are not killing young african men, they are killing themselves. Whitey is not blocking their societal and economic progress, their refusal to strive is.

Until they look inside, everything will always be someone elses fault

Yes, this is symptomatic of the wider issue: accountability.

Until the African American community points to these situations and declares BS, then this mentality is more than simply accepted, it is ingrained, and at every turn accountability is not simply avoided, it is declared racism.

It is a good time to stop pretending to be the victim, to start taking ownership, to imbue the African American community with a sense of collective responsbility for its own outcomes. It is time to stop pretending that racism is holding them back, they are holding themselves back. The cops are not killing young african men, they are killing themselves. Whitey is not blocking their societal and economic progress, their refusal to strive is.

Until they look inside, everything will always be someone elses fault

Nice sentiment. But since it's completely unrealistic to think anyone outside of right-wing bloggers and their fans give two sh1ts about what a bunch of kids are doing at some high-priced university, I think the best we can hope for is to have ridiculous requests that demonstrate the kind of things you're talking about to be rejected.

You do realize that Oberlin College costs $50K a year, right? There are no victims or kids avoiding accountability there. It's a bunch of country club kids trying to avoid work. If it meant I could avoid work and party more, I would have signed something like that when I was in school.

So far, the Ohio college has said they will allow professors to exercise flexibility in emergency incomplete requests, but has not given a flat out pass to all Black students.