Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

Unique Christmas Recipes You are Doing

Anyone cooking up anything unique this christmas? Currently at the store right now cause I'm going to be doing a deep fried sriracha turkey for this Sunday (got to do Christmas early with my brother and sisters cause my eldest sis is taking her kids on a Disney cruise and then to Disney world for Christmas). So I'm gonna be frying up one of these. Any of y'all doing anything unique this year?

Deep Fried Yeti :P

:lol: was going to do some pheasant but my buddy coming in Jan wants some so I'm waiting to cook that until he gets here

Going to do a Porchetta on the rotisserie

Never had it but it looks freakin delicious

Bull's stuffed with sharp white cheddar cheese and a red wine reduction sauce.

Going to do a Porchetta on the rotisserie

That sounds awesome!

Have your gf whip somthing up in her Ez bake oven after nap time.

Can size :mad:

Normal things that are good all year instead of disgusting novelties no one likes but we pretend to because it's tradition.

Good topic. I'll add as we get closer but hope to see some great ideas! :)
The main dishes are usually the same boring stuff. But I' love stuffing and sides.

Brown butter and maple stuffed potatoes with crushed walnuts n sharp cheddar on top - have to let the butter soak while keeping the skins crisp.

Normal things that are good all year instead of disgusting novelties no one likes but we pretend to because it's tradition.

Turducken is pretty dam good. I wanted to do one of the things they did on epic meal time called the Turbaconepic. Let me see if I can find the link for it

My in-laws are finicky. One person does not eat pork, another beef so.....

Nothing unique. Doing a crown rack of lamb w/ apricot glaze and cornbread stuffing.

Nothing unique. Doing a crown rack of lamb w/ apricot glaze and cornbread stuffing.

That sounds amazing ..even if you have to obstacle a few pps - everyone will love that!

Sounds good man. I still wouldn't give AF and cook whatever it is I want to eat but have options for them as well. My wife's brothers girlfriend is VERY picky about what she eats. It's only cheese, bread, and potatoes mostly. If we go out somewhere to eat she will just ask for a hamburger bun, couple slices of cheese, and some pickles with a side of fries. So they usually make sure to cook potatoes when she comes over

Sounds good man. I still wouldn't give AF and cook whatever it is I want to eat but have options for them as well. My wife's brothers girlfriend is VERY picky about what she eats. It's only cheese, bread, and potatoes mostly. If we go out somewhere to eat she will just ask for a hamburger bun, couple slices of cheese, and some pickles with a side of fries. So they usually make sure to cook potatoes when she comes over

Cool you recognize her habits. And work with. My brother is very picky also.

All dishes sound good so far :)

We are visiting my wife's parents this Christmas. My wife's mom is Chinese but raised in Indonesia and came to America at 20, my wife's dad is of Chinese heritage but raised in Mexico until 18.

We will have a combination of Chinese, Mexican, and Indonesian food for Christmas. To answer the original question, yes we will have unique dishes on Christmas.

My favorite is a bun stuffed with beef and veggies, seems basic, but it has good spices and sauce inside. Typically called a "bao", but I also eat bao's at chinese restaurants and those are slightly different.

• Like 1

we are hosting.... they are traveling from denver and ohio. i am fine making something everyone can enjoy.

We are visiting my wife's parents this Christmas. My wife's mom is Chinese but raised in Indonesia and came to America at 20, my wife's dad is of Chinese heritage but raised in Mexico until 18.

We will have a combination of Chinese, Mexican, and Indonesian food for Christmas. To answer the original question, yes we will have unique dishes on Christmas.

My favorite is a bun stuffed with beef and veggies, seems basic, but it has good spices and sauce inside. Typically called a "bao", but I also eat bao's at chinese restaurants and those are slightly different.

i am a fiend for baos

Good topic. I'll add as we get closer but hope to see some great ideas! :)

The main dishes are usually the same boring stuff. But I' love stuffing and sides.

Brown butter and maple stuffed potatoes with crushed walnuts n sharp cheddar on top - have to let the butter soak while keeping the skins crisp.

Dang, there's a poster I haven't seen in a while. How are things? :cheers:

Dang, there's a poster I haven't seen in a while. How are things? :cheers:

Nice to see you! So much I'd like to tell ya or share. Awesome you are!

we are hosting.... they are traveling from denver and ohio. i am fine making something everyone can enjoy.

There nothing wrong with making something they can eat. I would just also make stuff I wanted to eat as well instead of cater everything to someone else. Multiple options is what I'm saying

There nothing wrong with making something they can eat. I would just also make stuff I wanted to eat as well instead of cater everything to someone else. Multiple options is what I'm saying

i have a greater range and more importantly...

for many years I worked holidays and did not see my family on christmas. what i serve to them is less important to me than spending this time of year with them. i happen to enjoy lamb. last year i made cornish game hens. maybe seafood next year.

That because you are not a badass 12 year old lying Gomer fake doctor making $15 an hour. You are a straight up good dude.

That because you are not a badass 12 year old lying Gomer fake doctor making $15 an hour. You are a straight up good dude.

I'm sorry but we have more than just liquor for Christmas dinner and also jobs unlike the board drunk that you are :thumbsup:

Got a recipe?

I have not made them for a while. I would have to dig for the recipe. I am sure one of the food websites has one. These days I spend a lot less time in the kitchen and can find them on most menus from our local Chinese restaurants

Got a recipe?

I have a really good recipe, much better than any restaurant, but they take hours of prep work and hours to cook.

• Like 1

I have a really good recipe, much better than any restaurant, but they take hours of prep work and hours to cook.

Care to share ?

Are these like the stuffed pork rolls/ dumplings I see at San Francisco dim sum shops?

My guess is something like a steamed bbq pork bun..... char siu

Sugar Land, Texas is 40% Asian and we have 3 Chinese grocery stores. I can buy Bao buns that look like the link below fresh or frozen from a grocery store. They may be difficult to come by in the rest of the country which is why I am providing a link to a recipe. I have never tried to make the buns myself.

Bao buns:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/steamed-bao-buns

Korean Cucumbers - ideally made 2-3 days ahead of time with a 1 day minumum

2 medium cucumbers

2 teaspoon sesame seeds

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon sugar

4+ teaspoon Korean pepper flakes - (Add to taste, My wife prefers 4, I prefer 8)

2 Tablespoon rice vinegar

1 teaspoon sesame oil

Slice the cucumbers, mix everything together, and refrigerate.

1/2 of 1 pork belly will feed 5-6 people. Slice into strips 1" thick. I then trim some of the fat. I try to trim off sections that are entirely fat. A section that is 100% fat does not taste good in the bao and I freeze the fat to use later to pan fry chili rellenos.

Pork Belly marinade:

1 cup of hoisin sauce

6 tablespoons soy sauce

6 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce

2 tablespoons ground ginger

3 teaspoons of garlic powder

2 teaspoons siracha sauce

2 tablespoons five spice (not all spice)

1 pour of maple syrup

2 tablespoons dark brown sugar

Marinade the pork belly for a couple days. Making sure everything is extremely well coated, if the above does not look like enough marinade to cover the pork belly entirely, then double it.

Smoke the pork belly with your favorite wood chip. Turn them every 30 minutes, put a very light coating of hoisin sauce at about 1 and a half hours. The goal is to have them smoke for 3-4 hours. But they are ready when they reach an internal temperature of 165-170. Do not over cook.

Slice thin.

Put a thin coating of hoisin sauce on the bao

add a couple cucumber slices

add a couple pork belly slices.

Eat.