Sign in to follow this  
Ghost96

Roster Decision: Different League

Now that we are down to the last few picks, we need to set up the usual thread entitled: "Who I want to jinx, ...." umm, ....strike that, ...I meant to say: "Who I think will win the league this year." If somebody else doesn't do it, ....I will.

Also, I thought I'd run a fantasy baseball question by you guys, .....cuz I figure you are not at all tired of thinking stats, ...players, ADPs, etc. In a non-keeper league, would you drop Kolten Wong for one of the following pitchers? Taijuan Walker, Martin Perez, Ventura, Carlos Martinez, ....or perhaps Benoit or Clippard? The hitters are picked over, ....guys like Morneau and Markakis, ....I'd rather take my chances with Wong.

If you need more info, ....this was a Monday night break from our slow draft. I participated in a Yahoo! auction. Yahoo! offers fantasy football and baseball leagues that require a $20 entry fee (or higher), ....with prizes for 1st and 2nd place, ....I think 3rd too. I like this idea because it discourages the schmucks who join leagues and then flake out if/when their crappy teams sink to the bottom of the standings. Also, ....I LOVE the auction format almost as much as I like the drama of our slow draft.

Anyway, ....with a $260 budget, 12-team, standard 5 x 5 head-to-head league:

I bought the first player on the block, ...Miggy, ....for $59, ....I then proceeded to by FIVE MORE players among the first 43 nominations. The prices seemed a bit low. I was depleted all the way down to $70 left, ....$190 of my budget was out the door. But, I had Miggy, Cano, Hanley, Billy Hamilton ($16), Wainwright, and Scherzer.

For the next 73 bidding wars, I did what I could to enforce reasonable prices, ....but managed NOT to buy anybody. I went from CLEARLY the poorest guy on the board, ....to a middle of the pack--remaining budget. I then got Manny Machado for $9, and 14 slots later, Tanaka for $13.

Tragedy for one of the owners came early in the auction, ...at the 87th slot. The dude meant to bid up Greg Holland from $12 to $13, ....and accidentally typed in "$103". OUCH! Never seen that happen before!

My team stacke up as follows: C: Gattis (qualifies as OF too) and Ramos, 1B: Until Miggy qualifies at this position, ....I have ONLY Chris Carter-1B, OF too (at cost of $1), 2B: Cano and Kolten Wong (perhaps a $1 nomination mistake), SS: Hanley by himself, 3B: Miggy, Machado, and Arenado, OF: Billy Hamilton, Desmond Jennings, Kole Calhoun, and Avisail Garcia

SPs: Wainwright, Scherzer, Tanaka, Cashner, Alex Wood, Straily, and Paxton, RPs: Grilli, Rex Brothers, Cody Allen.

Should I pull the trigger and ditch Kolten Wong for a pitcher? I feel pretty stacked at SP, ....but some of those hurlers listed above seem like much better values than an iffy young 2B to back up Cano. I can always ditch a borderline pitcher later, ....when a few surprise hitters emerge.

Without holds, Carlos Martinez is probably useless until he becomes a starter...

I think I would go after Walker and dump Wong...

Do you need to play two catchers (or are you planning to actively play Gattis in the OF)?

If not, I can't see significant value to rostering 2 Cs in a 12 team league.

I like your Ventura selection - he's seemingly got an inside track for a roster spot and the high K potential is appealing as well. I'd be tempted to go back and grab Wong for a catcher... (There was something totally wrong about that last sentence - LOL)