Sign in to follow this  
BunnysBastatrds

What Is The Most Daring Thing You've Ever Done

Rappelled off a 500 foot waterfall. Was getting pounded with water much of the way down, so I bounced from side to side to temporarily get out of the flow. I felt like I would drown if I remained in the water.

I eventually made it to the pool at the bottom. My friend was supposed to follow, but we saw no hint of him descending for 30+ minutes. We thought he was in trouble, possibly hit by falling rock, but there was no easy way to ascend back up the rope. It was getting dark and we were contemplating continuing down the stream, which included several more rappels, to get help. After what seemed like an eternity, he finally rapped down.

Unbeknownst to me, the rope was rubbing against the edge of a rock at the top of the falls near the anchor point. The sheath of the rope had sheared such that the braided nylon kernmantle was exposed. My friend saw it as he started his rappel, realized the rope could fail, and ascended back up to redo the anchor.

I have no idea how close I was to the ropes breaking point, but regardless the rap wasnt for the faint of heart. Only a handful of people have ever rapped those falls, and it was the site of a massive landslide which killed 8 people.

See... it's all relative... I hate heights like that... boo... booooooooo.....

Sky dived, rappelled off a building..

Wow, next time maybe do it in the country. :o

I Did alot of stupid sh!t growing up. 130 on a Honda CBR, jumping off 100 ft cliff into a quarry, drunk driving, etc. Ive done a bunch of stupid stuff in building fires too. The most dangerous by far is night time swift water rescue. Its absolutely idiotic to be in Class IV and V rapids at night. But, it happens when you fall out of the boat. Strainers and keeper holes are killers. Not to mention smashing your head on a rock.

• Like 1

Rappelled off a 500 foot waterfall. Was getting pounded with water much of the way down, so I bounced from side to side to temporarily get out of the flow. I felt like I would drown if I remained in the water.

I eventually made it to the pool at the bottom. My friend was supposed to follow, but we saw no hint of him descending for 30+ minutes. We thought he was in trouble, possibly hit by falling rock, but there was no easy way to ascend back up the rope. It was getting dark and we were contemplating continuing down the stream, which included several more rappels, to get help. After what seemed like an eternity, he finally rapped down.

Unbeknownst to me, the rope was rubbing against the edge of a rock at the top of the falls near the anchor point. The sheath of the rope had sheared such that the braided nylon kernmantle was exposed. My friend saw it as he started his rappel, realized the rope could fail, and ascended back up to redo the anchor.

I have no idea how close I was to the ropes breaking point, but regardless the rap wasnt for the faint of heart. Only a handful of people have ever rapped those falls, and it was the site of a massive landslide which killed 8 people.

Im curious what equipment a recreational climber uses for a 500' rappel? 500' is a long ride! Ive done a alot of high angle rescue but never 500' at a time. We bump to a rack anything over 100' and probably 1/2" rope. I cant imagine a climber carrying all that heavy sh!t.

not much...

dove/jumped off of high cliffs

bungee jumping

driving at high speeds (USA, germany, austria, switzerland, france, italy)

met a couple of geeks

skiing and scuba, but do not view those as high risk

Mounting large drunk women's during highly intoxicatingly times.

Mounting large drunk women's during highly intoxicatingly times.

or having them mount you

• Like 1

Me and a buddy followed two chicks to a ghey bar in quest of hetero secks.

Dudes buying me drinks, giving me winks and asking to dance. I was fresh meat.

Once I made it clear that I was there for the poosay they were cool. Got wasted in a gay bar, did shots with some ghey guys and got the girl.

A real fairy tale with a happy ending but some of those ghey dudes were uber aggressive until it was clear that I was straight...downright scary.

Im curious what equipment a recreational climber uses for a 500' rappel? 500' is a long ride! Ive done a alot of high angle rescue but never 500' at a time. We bump to a rack anything over 100' and probably 1/2" rope. I cant imagine a climber carrying all that heavy sh!t.

Are you calling him a liar? Hes a doctor on a lightly trafficked message board? No focking way.

I've been stranded in the combat zone

I walked through Bedford- Stuy alone

Even rode my motorcycle in the rain

• Like 1

There is static rope specifically designed for canyoneering. For the 500 foot falls, it was 600 feet of 8 mm diameter rope, secured with a carabiner block with an equally long pull line. You also can use multiple shorter ropes, but you have to pass the knots on the way down. Some people rap on ATC belay/rappel devices, but I used something Petzl makes called a Pirana - it gives you more friction options, which is helpful for longer raps on wet rope.

All the equipment doesnt weigh too much, split between 4 or 5 people each pack probably weighs 30# or less, unless your stuff gets waterlogged. None of that compares to mountaineering, where Ive carried a 40-50 pound pack while hauling a sled with another 50. But to be clear, we hiked the gear to the top of the canyon; we didnt climb with that much weight.

I Did alot of stupid sh!t growing up. 130 on a Honda CBR, jumping off 100 ft cliff into a quarry, drunk driving, etc. Ive done a bunch of stupid stuff in building fires too. The most dangerous by far is night time swift water rescue. Its absolutely idiotic to be in Class IV and V rapids at night. But, it happens when you fall out of the boat. Strainers and keeper holes are killers. Not to mention smashing your head on a rock.

On a recent canyoneering trip, I almost watched a friend drown in high water rapids. Luckily, one of my other friends is a coast guard rescue swimmer and jumped in to save him.

I fear the power of water far more than heights. At least in Hawaii, a lot more people drown in the ocean than die in land-based outdoor activities. Many people consider climbing crazy, but the relative risk for run-of-the-mill rock climbing is pretty low, with likelihood of death comparable to a game of pick up basketball. Ice climbing is a bit more risky, but big mountaineering is the only type of climbing I consider truly dangerous.

On a recent canyoneering trip, I almost watched a friend drown in high water rapids. Luckily, one of my other friends is a coast guard rescue swimmer and jumped in to save him.

I fear the power of water far more than heights. At least in Hawaii, a lot more people drown in the ocean than die in land-based outdoor activities. Many people consider climbing crazy, but the relative risk for run-of-the-mill rock climbing is pretty low, with likelihood of death comparable to a game of pick up basketball. Ice climbing is a bit more risky, but big mountaineering is the only type of climbing I consider truly dangerous.

Id agree with that, unless youre talking free climbing. Those people are idiots.

Id agree with that, unless youre talking free climbing. Those people are idiots.

Free climbing means climbing under your own power, with ropes and other gear placed to protect you if you fall, but not to facilitate your upward progress. This contrasts to aid climbing, where one pulls on gear/fixed objects or ascends the rope to get up.

I think you mean free soloing, which is climbing without a rope or other protective gear. Alex Honnold has gained fame and notoriety as a result of his free soloing prowess. He seems to be very intelligent and methodical, and is arguably one the best athletes the world has ever seen.

And yeah, free soloing is very dangerous, but is such a fringe activity I dont consider it in the realm of typical climbing.

Me and a buddy followed two chicks to a ghey bar in quest of hetero secks.

Dudes buying me drinks, giving me winks and asking to dance. I was fresh meat.

Once I made it clear that I was there for the poosay they were cool. Got wasted in a gay bar, did shots with some ghey guys and got the girl.

A real fairy tale with a happy ending but some of those ghey dudes were uber aggressive until it was clear that I was straight...downright scary.

Sounds like the S wasn't as silent as it should be. Phag.

Angels landing might be the answer

That hike ain't bad. Try climbing the mountain face to get there. Honnold did it without a rope.

This thing was plenty enough for me, I am all good! I enjoyed the Narrows much more.

This thing was plenty enough for me, I am all good! I enjoyed the Narrows much more.

I hiked them as well. Both excellent. Also climbed the face, but had to abort before the top when my friend fell and separated his shoulder.

I hiked them as well. Both excellent. Also climbed the face, but had to abort before the top when my friend fell and separated his shoulder.

Zion is no joke, Arches is far more tame, Bryce is a walk in the park by comparison....now Canyonlands is something else entirely....

Zion is no joke, Arches is far more tame, Bryce is a walk in the park by comparison....now Canyonlands is something else entirely....

Try Arches by mountain bike. You'll have a very different perspective. And Bryce has plague.

As a teenager I once rode a bus into southcentral LA in the middle of the night and got off and was surrounded by about 50 gang members. The only way I made it to the car was by having a roll of cash and handing out money to them as I walked past. I handed a $5 bill to one guiy and a fistfight broke out right there between several of them over the $5 bill.

Got drunk, met a local girl in a Hartford, CT bar, and slept with her. I escaped with all my junk intact.

Try Arches by mountain bike. You'll have a very different perspective. And Bryce has plague.

We were going to go mountain biking, could not it in, really wish we would have done hells revenge by jeep, next rip......for sure

Remember the Stretch Armstrong doll and the Six Million Dollar doll? They Fawked me as as a child. My still hurts.

Remember the Stretch Armstrong doll and the Six Million Dollar doll? They Fawked me as as a child. My ###### still hurts.

I went for it!!!

Smoked crack, smoked freebase (same thing really), smoked crank (meth for all you youngins). All of the above a lot. Every time you do that it is literal Russian roulette. Never stuck a needle in my arm tho so theres that. :doublethumbsup:

Smoked crack, smoked freebase (same thing really), smoked crank (meth for all you youngins). All of the above a lot. Every time you do that it is literal Russian roulette. Never stuck a needle in my arm tho so theres that. :doublethumbsup:

I've had scank, I've had speed

I've jacked up until I bleed

So what :banana: