Sign in to follow this  
nzoner

Question for anyone here in sales

I've been doing this a lot of years and thought I'd seen every type of client imaginable but I've got one right now that is a first,I feel like a damn dog and pony show jumping through hoops,meeting this request and that request etc.Am contemplating saying that's it,enough is enough take your business elsewhere.Luckily I own my company so the final call is mine.

Basically I'm just looking for some feedback on how sales geeks have handled such clients and or some positive reinforcement because this one has me :wall:

I've been doing this a lot of years and thought I'd seen every type of client imaginable but I've got one right now that is a first,I feel like a damn dog and pony show jumping through hoops,meeting this request and that request etc.Am contemplating saying that's it,enough is enough take your business elsewhere.Luckily I own my company so the final call is mine.

Basically I'm just looking for some feedback on how sales geeks have handled such clients and or some positive reinforcement because this one has me :wall:

You can't make everyone happy and no, the customer is not always right, move on.

• Like 1

Not in sales but have had to deal with high maintenance or "problem" clients. To me it comes down to cost/benefit. If it's just one sale it probably isn't worth it unless it's a focking huge sale in and of itself. But will this guy potentially be a repeat customer? Might he bring in other customers through word of mouth and so forth? If so I'd keep him happy, otherwise I'd probably say we just aren't equipped to handle what you need and politely suggest that some other place might be more suitable for him

• Like 1

Not in sales but have had to deal with high maintenance or "problem" clients. To me it comes down to cost/benefit. If it's just one sale it probably isn't worth it unless it's a focking huge sale in and of itself. But will this guy potentially be a repeat customer? Might he bring in other customers through word of mouth and so forth? If so I'd keep him happy, otherwise I'd probably say we just aren't equipped to handle what you need and politely suggest that some other place might be more suitable for him

Pretty much this. If he'll be a good lifelong or high value customer, then yes do whatever it takes.

If he'll bring in other customers, see above.

If he stinks of a high maintenance, low value customer, politely decline his business. Even make some sh1t up if you have to.

• Like 1

Finish the business at hand then move on.

Is he a client or still just a prospect?

My wife is dealing with a client now that she'd like to dump but can't. She doesn't own the company. Every day it's something new.

As a biz owner, I've dumped clients in two basic ways.

1. Flat out told them I couldn't help them, or told them we were too busy to meet their demands

2. Priced myself so far out of the market that they'd be insane to hire me. This usually makes them go away quietly, but you have to be in a business with a custom pricing model for this to work.

I've also been involved in projects where the client turned into a nightmare midstream. IMO, the only course of action at that point is to deliver on your agreement as quickly as possible and get the hell out.

Good luck.

• Like 1

One of the best perks of owning your own practice is YOU get to choose your clients.

Then again, is the commission large enough to tolerate the focking bastage?

• Like 1

Just got back fom happy hor and cannot express how relieved I am,gave client a 2nd deadline to make a decision and they blew it off making me wait an hour past that deadline with yet another BS excuse.In the meantime one of their competitors stepped up and took a chunk of what I hafd been negotiating with them without hesitation.

You can't make everyone happy and no, the customer is not always right, move on.

Yep. Also I think that some customers just push the envelope looking for weakness. More often than not, if you stand up to them, they acquiesce. :cheers: