Sign in to follow this  
seh2000

Bell holdout still

What are the chances of him being put on roster exempt status for 2 weeks to get up to speed?

Yep. They took it easy on him the first couple weeks. Then he became Leveon Bell.

Actually, it was close to 4 weeks when he had one of the lowest YPC of his career. In fact, he didn't really look like LeVeon until the end of the season, he was just getting incredible volume. He still had an off season with none of his signature big runs. I tend to agree with Chong Li, Tomlin will ride the Conner for the most part, but likely will relent to some other 3rd down alternatives.

What are the chances of him being put on roster exempt status for 2 weeks to get up to speed?

He's got to sign first. Tomorrow is supposedly the big day. Gameplan is installed on Wednesdays, so if he shows, he'll likely have some role. If he doesn't, well, what we have here is...failure to communicate.

Well, I was able to obtain Conner at a reasonable cost and felt fairly content that i had my bases covered. Even if Conner couldn't scoot through defensive lines the way Bell can, his 6 rec's for 52 yds in the 3rd preseason game suggested that he could come close to matching Bell's prowess in the passing game.

But this......

I think the other back, Samuels, is the better option long term, but that's just my opinion. Conner will command the higher price, but Samuels skill set is much closer to Bell's. He's less of a plodder and more adept at pass catching.

....was a raindrop on an otherwise sunny day. So I watched the preseason highlights and see what you mean about Conner being a plodder (Conner did fine if he had some space to work with but so can every other RB ever known). Samuels did seem to have a little more flash-and-dash.

Inexplicably, the highlight compiler failed to include footage of Conner's 6 catches in the 3rd game. But in the first 2 games, Conner dropped two soft passes that had hit him right in the mitts and there was a third that he couldn't corral with a raised left arm.

After watching these highlights, i'm going to be flexing my RB3 Jamaal W and my WR3 JuJu for week 1 while Conner sits. He's going to have to show me he can be a Bell Jr before I start him.

Well, I was able to obtain Conner at a reasonable cost and felt fairly content that i had my bases covered. Even if Conner couldn't scoot through defensive lines the way Bell can, his 6 rec's for 52 yds in the 3rd preseason game suggested that he could come close to matching Bell's prowess in the passing game.

But this......

....was a raindrop on an otherwise sunny day. So I watched the preseason highlights and see what you mean about Conner being a plodder (Conner did fine if he had some space to work with but so can every other RB ever known). Samuels did seem to have a little more flash-and-dash.

Inexplicably, the highlight compiler failed to include footage of Conner's 6 catches in the 3rd game. But in the first 2 games, Conner dropped two soft passes that had hit him right in the mitts and there was a third that he couldn't corral with a raised left arm.

After watching these highlights, i'm going to be flexing my RB3 Jamaal W and my WR3 JuJu for week 1 while Conner sits. He's going to have to show me he can be a Bell Jr before I start him.

Hope it pans out for you. As of this morning Bell is still a no-show.

Saw an interesting take on Twitter from Ross Tucker. If Bell shows Friday he still reports "on time" and gets paid for the week, but more than likely won't play at all. So I guess we have a new day for Bell Watch.

Plodder or not i would think the steelers confidence would be very very high on Conner over any rookie rb. Conner a guy in his 2nd year who has worked his tail off and knows the system at this point.

Steelers will just simply gameplan more pass heavy in certain situations i imagine. Conner will never be Bell but should have a HUGE workload sunday if no bell imo

I know it's going to be a chalk pick but Conner is the minimum salary on fan duel so It's just too convenient to play him and put in studs at a bunch of other positions.

The bellcow-friendly philosophy of the Pittsburgh coaching staff has been a blessing to Bell holders, for sure. What I don't know is whether that philosophy will continue under new OC Fichtner. I guess that was something that was felt but left unsaid in my last post....whether Conner can be a Bell Jr and whether the coaches wii entrust him with a Bell-like workload.

After watching those highlights, I wouldn't be surprised to see Conner and Samuels sharing time on Sunday.

I think they would share time in the sense that Samuels would see a handful of touches, standard change of pace and backup stuff. Tomlin has been oozing praising for Conner this summer, and his usage in the preseason strongly suggests that he's the primary backup. If Bell doesn't play, I would guess around 20 touches for Conner and 6-8 for Samuels.

I read conner had 26 tds and 1600 yards in his sophomore campaign at University of Pittsburgh. was an early 3rd rounder too.

yes i am a conner owner with fingers crossed. lol

Hope it pans out for you. As of this morning Bell is still a no-show.

Saw an interesting take on Twitter from Ross Tucker. If Bell shows Friday he still reports "on time" and gets paid for the week, but more than likely won't play at all. So I guess we have a new day for Bell Watch.

So Friday it is, expect to see him Friday so he sacrifices no money.

deadspin is reporting that "the Steelers have refused to reward him with a longterm contract, instead choosing to use the franchise tag on him multiple times. "

i thought i read they had made him an offer that would pay more than gurley makes? what's the truth?

So Friday it is, expect to see him Friday so he sacrifices no money.

Yeah, why would he skip this week and show up next week? If he does skip this week, it's probably for the full 6 I would imagine.

deadspin is reporting that "the Steelers have refused to reward him with a longterm contract, instead choosing to use the franchise tag on him multiple times. "

i thought i read they had made him an offer that would pay more than gurley makes? what's the truth?

they made him an offer of what Gurley MADE. Not makes. Now gurley has reset the market for running backs the steelers want a discount.

He shows up Friday, gets his paycheck, and doesn’t play week 1. Win, win, and win for Bell. Conner will start week 1 and get lion share of touches. Week 2.....who knows?

Question: how will Steelers brass and locker room respond? Will be fun to watch!

The truth is that the Steelers want to screw Bell on the guaranteed side of the contract.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/7/18/17585956/leveon-bell-contract-steelers-offer-guaranteed-money-free-agency

So the steelers can make sure it gets out "Offer of $70Mil over 5 years" and not mention only $10 mil guaranteed. Gurley got how much guaranteed?

This is a perfect case of how stoopid the players union is. How do they even let the franchise tag become a thing?

For the best players...free agency isnt free at all. They lock you in with the franchise tag and get you for a bargain price.

Bell is still a douche..but what are his other options? They will run him into the ground if he plays.

The truth is that the Steelers want to screw Bell on the guaranteed side of the contract.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/7/18/17585956/leveon-bell-contract-steelers-offer-guaranteed-money-free-agency

So the steelers can make sure it gets out "Offer of $70Mil over 5 years" and not mention only $10 mil guaranteed. Gurley got how much guaranteed?

they've made multiple offers, rumor was highest at $14+ million per year. At the time that was twice what the next highest salary was, although Gurley reset that with his new one. But yes, Pittsburgh doesn't do as much guaranteed as lots of other teams. However, if Bell would have been agreeable to the 14 million-ish salary, chances are that a deal on the up front money would have been done. Bell thinks his value is $17 million per year, with big guarantees. Gurley is 2 yrs younger with a lot less miles on him. Let Bell walk...as a Steelers fan IDGAF.

No way Steelers franchise him next year. No way they pay him a big money contract with that mileage either. The tag is crazy for RB! The only thing that is keeping either side remotely honest is that the Steelers window is still open for the Super Bowl.....we can debate all day how open. They can’t run him too hard, too keep him fresh for the playoffs. He can’t fake an injury, because he is playing for a contract and ring. If I were him, I would do the same thing.....come in on Friday, get paid, not start week 1 and probably half work load week 2. Business trumps our entertainment every time.

This is a perfect case of how stoopid the players union is. How do they even let the franchise tag become a thing?

For the best players...free agency isnt free at all. They lock you in with the franchise tag and get you for a bargain price.

Bell is still a douche..but what are his other options? They will run him into the ground if he plays.

Another problem is allowing teams to use the tag up to 3 times. It gives the team the ability to essentially hold a player from being able to get a long term contract anywhere until after 3 years of their prime is gone. If they want to, the Steelers can hold Bell until he's 28, and nobody is going to give a big long-term contract to a guy that close to 30 with the miles on him that Bell has. Nobody has forgotten the Adrian Peterson contract that Minnesota mistakenly made.

NBA players have it figured out, the mercenary contracts allow them to sign 1/1 deals with the 2nd year being player option. Those guaranteed contracts mean it's money in the bank for the NBA guys, even if they get hurt in the 1st year and the injury is so severe they can't play the next season, they still get 2 years of contract if they opt into that 2nd year.

The NFLPA is a bunch of vags, they play the sport with the highest number of and most severe injuries and have relatively little security in an injury situation. I believe they could save money in the long term if they guaranteed even 60% of the original contract. If nothing else, you could sign a guy for 5 yrs/40 million and ensure that he get nearly 2/3 regardless of outcome. Make them real dollars and figures would be lower.

I heard that interview with the agent. The agent so got what he wanted out of that interview. Say nothing about what they are planning, but making the host come out and say it, then hey, I didn't say it, he did.

That guy sounded like turd. But, whatever, we will know later Saturday if Bell is serious about the holdout or not. I think he is not that smart here if he holds out multiple weeks if all he cares about is money. $14 million is $14 million is a lot of money. If he comes back in week 10 and blows out a knee in week 15, he is screwed. No $14 million, no massive payday next year. Even if he was a free agent this year, were teams going to give him the dollars he is asking for? Not sure except we know the Steelers wouldn't.